snack attack.

by Janetha on April 21, 2013

in groceries

yo. another weekend bites the dust.. they go by too quickly, no?

i just got done folding all (yes, ALL) of my laundry! not a single dirty piece of clothing is in this house.. aside from what i’m wearing at the moment. it’s all about small victories, folks.

i had a pretty good weekend. it was low-key and productive.

friday night i went to my friend’s boutique for an art show that a couple of my other friends made artwork for followed by a stop at marshall’s buddy’s birthday party. i called it a night pretty early, though, because i had to get up bright and early for GPP–the sixth and final workout of HELLth week!

Screen Shot 2013 04 21 at 8 01 26 PM

i partitioned this into four equal rounds and it took just under 40 minutes. however, i didn’t do the WHOLE thing.. it was raining, so i wussed out and skipped the mile run. i made up for it later in the day at gold’s (although i walked the mile.. running wasn’t happening with the DOMS in my legs!)

i spent saturday afternoon exchanging things and buying gifts (happy birthday, linds!) and accidentally bought myself a few things at victoria’s secret. whoops! but these tanks were 2 for $30 and are perfect for the gym.. i couldn’t pass up that kind of deal! i got black, blue, and green.

saturday night rolled around and, like i said in my last post, i went to see oblivion. i didn’t love it.

today was a much needed rest day from exercise! HELLth week was pretty hardcore and my whole body needed a nice break. i slept in until nearly 10 and enjoyed my morning with eggs, toast, and coffee. i had some errands to run in the afternoon, which included my weekly grocery shopping trip. today i went to trader joe’s, coscto, and sprouts. i forgot how much i LOVE sprouts! (formerly sunflower market.) i spent over an hour just perusing the aisles.

as i was putting my groceries away, i realized i purchased a lot of snacky foods. i thought it would be a good idea to share some of our favorite snacks!

steak jerky. i buy this at costco. my friend amanda turned me onto it.. it’s a delicious option for lean protein on the go!

IMG 7236

gogo squeez applesauce. these applesauce pouches aren’t just for kiddos. marshall takes them in his lunch every day and i like the resealable pouch because it’s super handy when i just need 1 tablespoon of applesauce to make a protein mug cake! they come in other flavors (apple cherry, apple berry, etc) but the only ones available at costco right now are the original. they are also at whole foods, target, and trader joe’s has their own brand.

IMG 7237

vacuum fried banana chips.  these are perfect when you want a crunchy sweet treat! the only ingredients are banana and oil.. no added sugar.

IMG 7234

apple rings.  another trader joe’s find.. but you can also usually find apple rings in the bulk bins.

IMG 7235

apple cinnamon morning rounds. these aren’t just for the morning. they are good any time of day. pop one in the toaster for a quick carby fix.

IMG 7238

chobani almond coco loco flip. FINALLY found these for sale in utah! they are at target!! this flavor is by far the B-E-S-T. and it doesn’t bug my belly. bonus.

IMG 7241

apples. specifically pink cripps apples. nothing quite like the perfect balance between sweet and tart in a nice, crispy apple.

IMG 7240

mini cucumbers. i have been known to carry these around in my purse…

IMG 7239

larabar protein bars. just spotted these! i haven’t tried them yet, but of course i had to buy all four flavors. they are just like regular larabars but have 10 grams of added pea protein! they are still vegan, all natural, and i expect they’ll be delicious.

IMG 7233

yay for snacks!

after putting the groceries away, i went up to my parents’ casa for the second time of the day. momma b was kind enough to make beef stew for dinner. i had two bowls alongside two slices of peanut-butter-topped toast. i love dipping it in stew. anyone else? or is that weird?

IMG 7245

thanks for dinner, mom!

we came home and then.. like i said.. i folded ALL my flipping laundry. and now i’m typing this post! and i’m about to hit publish, find something sweet to eat, and park it on the couch until bedtime.

another busy work week starts tomorrow! oh, and katie and lindsay are coming into town on friday to finalize everything for blend retreat. i am SO DANG EXCITED to see those two! blend retreat is only a few weeks away.. snag a ticket and come hang out!

1. what are some of your favorite quick & easy snacks?

2. what was the highlight of your weekend?

Jessica Eickmier April 21, 2013 at 8:43 pm

I am so excited to see that they make Larabars with Protein! Where did you find these??

Lisa April 21, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Whattt lara bar protein bars! So neat-o. I must admit I was a tad bummed when General Mills bought them out, but I may consider buying them again just to try out the new product.
And I’m obsessed with dried apple chips! I just tried some this weekend from our local grocery store, and holy moly they’re good stuff. They sprinkle them with cinnamon before and I think I ate the whole bag in a day.
Favorite snacks are previously frozen smoothies I bring along with me so by the time I drink them they aren’t frozen, protein snack “balls”, homemade protein bars, stuff like that.
That workout looks tough!

Daisy Anne April 21, 2013 at 9:49 pm

O come on, I love that beef stew! Looking at the picture of it, all I could think is a nice warm evening. Your choice of adding up a toast to the stew is not a new thing though, but I would love to have the stew all by itself. Thanks a lot for this post!

Erica April 21, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Sounds like a good one! Steak jerky! I need to get this for J. And those crisps are some of my most favorite apples.

1. what are some of your favorite quick & easy snacks? Fruit, vegetables & hummus, tortilla with peanut butter

2. what was the highlight of your weekend? Kaylin getting better!

Jen @nutcaseinpoint April 21, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Too many highlights from my weekend. I guess the best was adopting a 4 year old Beagle named Reggie today!!

Beth @ Adiphene Review Blog April 21, 2013 at 11:15 pm

Thanks a lot for the snack suggestions! Apple and nuts (almond + hazelnuts + walnuts) have always been my snacks of choice any day any time. they are filling and yet very healthy.

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats April 22, 2013 at 4:19 am

I’m all about my yoghurt bowls with mix ins for snacks!

I also love my skinny chais and apples. I’m all about simple snacks.

MizFit April 22, 2013 at 6:04 am

Im pistachios and BEEEEEEF JERKY :-) too

Linz @ Itz Linz April 22, 2013 at 6:11 am

i haven’t seen those new larabars yet!! larabars are definitely some of my favorite bars so i’ll have to keep my eyes peeled!! apples with any kind of nut butter and cinnamon is one of my favorite snacks!

Sarah Kay Hoffman April 22, 2013 at 6:29 am

Okay, that workout is just too awesome! So you essentially divided it into 4 and worked it as 4 circuits? I’m creating my 15-week 1/2 marathon training schedule (the Park City one!!) while I’m on vacation in Cabo this week. I would be overjoyed if I could hit a 1:40-1:45 half. In order to do so, I need to have a least one day of an intense circuit. This could be a great option:) xo

Melissa April 22, 2013 at 7:37 am

I need to get some of that jerky!

Sami April 22, 2013 at 7:48 am

Those protein Larabars sound delicious! Especially since I can actually HAVE pea protein and it’s not soy. Lemon pound cake?! YUM.

xo.

Shari April 22, 2013 at 8:15 am

PB & beef stew, not weird at all. In grade school they always served PB sandwich with veggie soup, which I always dipped by sandwich in.

Debbie @ Healthy Running Mom April 22, 2013 at 8:55 am

there are some really great snacks here. I can’t get the Flips anywhere!
I love the flat bananas & just mangos from TJ’s.

Ed Proctor April 22, 2013 at 9:25 am

Hi Janetha,

The steak strips is definitely one of my favourites when I am traveling since I am a beef lover. :)

Ed

lindsey April 22, 2013 at 11:50 am

I read blogs for hints, tips, ideas, recipes, new product reviews, etc. In other words, for all the reasons I read m&m! :)

lindsey April 22, 2013 at 11:50 am

I like m&m on facebook :)

Christa @ Edible Balance April 22, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Ohhh, the protein Larabars look interesting! Yay for vegan and no soy! Will have to look out for those when I’m in San Fran next week… I doubt they’re up in Canada yet. Great looking flavors too :)

I cannot wait for Blend!! I can’t believe it’s coming up so quickly now!

Gianna @ Run, Lift, Repeat April 22, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Oh wow I love larabars but have been neglecting them for quest bars lately for the protein factor. MUST find these!

Jerky is one of my most favorite snacks. My friends all think I am an odd ball, but boy do I love it.

Reading this post at the end of my work day = now I want to go home and snack.

BroccoliHut April 22, 2013 at 7:27 pm

LOVE those tanks! If I hadn’t just bought, um, 6 new workout tanks, I would totally buy some too.
I’ll be interested to hear what you think of those new Larabars. I always like Laras, but I shied away from them because I usually eat bars when I need a hit of protein. So glad they came up with these!
Favorite snack these days is carrots dipped in TJ’s sunflower seed butter!

Jenny April 22, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Well, all of my laundry is clean, but it most definitely in the basked NOT folded (and will likely stay that way for the rest of the week)…haha

And hey, you didn’t wuss out on that workout, jumping rope is HARD!! I still have not mastered it. Who knew?

Jenny April 22, 2013 at 7:54 pm

basket, not “basked” ha

MizFit April 23, 2013 at 5:28 am

I make a version of this for my girl, too.
she loves.

betty April 23, 2013 at 6:48 am

very apple-themed, today! i just got some of the apple cinnamon squeezes and love them! i never thought about being able to use them for protein cakes and such!

i recently bought the cookie dough questbars and love that heated up for a few seconds in the micro (even tho its best heated in the oven) tasted just like a fresh choc chip cookie!

highlight of my weekend was getting our half bath gut completed!

Maria @ Pappa Don't Preach April 23, 2013 at 9:38 am

OMG! I haven’t even heard of these new larabars! Thanks for making my day! I’ll now be on a mad hunt to locate them!

haley April 23, 2013 at 10:06 am

I go in snack rotations, where I am totally obsessed and then it switches to something new. Right now I am on Nancy’s organic cottage cheese, mostly with Back to Nature triscuit style crackers. I got another brand of cottage cheese to see if my renewed love was for this brand in general or just all cottage cheese and it’s definitely Nancy’s. It is so tangy and delicious. I get it at Sprouts or Whole Foods. i just had some for breakfast.

Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen April 23, 2013 at 10:57 am

Glad I’m not the only one who carries around vegetables in my purse.

[And can I please make the obvious “Is that a cucumber? Or are you just happy to see me?” joke?

Too bad if not. Because I just did.]

momma b. April 23, 2013 at 12:31 pm

I love all of these snack ideas and just transferred them to my notebook so I can remember to buy them!

I love jerky as long as I have some floss handy :-)

I have two highlights of my weekend – you and Marshall coming to dinner yay!! Seeing the movie 42 – it was a good one!!

I love you!
xoxo

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More April 23, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Larabar PROTEIN bars?! I bet they’re freaking fantastic. I wouldn’t complain if they showed up in my Blend swag bag! ;)

Julia @ hungryandconfused April 25, 2013 at 11:09 am

Found you on Pinterest and am loving your blog! I hear so many of my American friends talking about Larabars, but I’ve never seen them in the UK (as far as I’m aware). Next time I’m in the States I’m checking them out, if only for the PB Butter Cookie flavour alone!