trader joe’s favorites: volume one.

by Janetha on April 9, 2013

in groceries

hi, there! i get a lot of questions about my favorite things to buy at trader joe’s. i decided the best thing to do would be post about my favorites every so often.

White Page (2)

i didn’t always have a trader joe’s, but i have always had a passion for the store. we recently got one here in salt lake city in november of last year.  before then, i would cram as much trader joe’s loving into my trips to my sister’s house. i would take extra suitcases with me on my vacations to destinations with a trader joe’s so i could haul my favorite non-perishables home. sometimes my friends would even mail me TJs goodies! yep.. I LOVE TRADER JOE’S. yes, i am that ridiculous. and i know many, many others who are the same way!

first, let’s talk salads. trader joe’s is known for their HUGE selection of pre-packaged salads. i am so thrilled i finally got a trader joe’s in my area because i used to only be able to enjoy these when visiting california or vegas. they range anywhere from $3 – $6 and are quite filling! they are an excellent lunch option.

i actually have two favorite pre-packaged salads. they are both phenomenal! i think i love them so much because they have couscous which, i believe, does wonders for the texture of a salad.

first up: lemon chicken & arugula.

the stats & ingredients:

i love the pimento dressing! oh, and this salad is dairy-free. bonus for the lactose intolerant folks.

second up, and just as amazing: field fresh chopped salad with grilled white chicken.

and the stats & ingredients:

the sweet basil dressing is incredible. i have been meaning to try to recreate it an home! i haven’t had this salad since i quit dairy, but now that i am incorporating it back into my world.. i think i need to snag this salad again and see how my stomach handles it.

next up: roasted coconut chips.

these have very few ingredients:

the only downside is the pouch is only 2 servings. but it’s only $1.99, so that’s fair enough.

the roasted coconut chips are delicious straight from the bag, or they are great to sprinkle on oatmeal, salads, or even use to crust chicken breasts.

one of my favorite on-the-go protein items is the turkey jerky.

low calorie, no fat, and plenty of protein.

i keep this in my car and my office. i have been known to finish off a bag over the course of a day! that’s not horrible—the whole bag is only 240 calories and a whopping 44 grams of protein.

another quick & easy protein option is the pre-peeled hard boiled eggs. I KNOW, I KNOW, I AM LAZY.

IMG_6949IMG_6950

i realize it is much cheaper to boil and peel my own eggs, but sometimes i choose convenience over cost. i usually will eat these eggs straight from the bag, but we also use them for cobb salads and egg salad sandwiches. but, like i said, they aren’t cheap. it works out to 50 cents an egg.. ouch.

you know what is better than chocolate covered almonds?

salted chocolate covered almonds. and these ones from trader joe’s are THE BEST.

they have the perfect balance of salty and sweet. plus.. dark chocolate? almonds? they are practically health food ;)

finally…

BEST. BODY. BUTTER. EVER!!!!

and it’s only five bucks. it will instantly make you think you’re at the beach in the caribbean.

that’s all for this installment of trader joe’s favorites!

1. what’s your favorite on-the-go protein source?

2. what’s your favorite kind of lotion?

Trisha April 9, 2013 at 5:45 pm

I literally had those almonds in my cart yesterday!! Sadly I put them back . . . Thinking… Wellll I don’t really NEEEED them … And It was a bigger trip and I was being cheap. Yea. Now I’ll be going back for them….

Maria April 9, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Yes, yes, yes on the turkey jerky. I’m glad I’m not the only one who can’t keep my hand out of the bag. Mine usually disappear in a day too. Two days tops.

jess t April 9, 2013 at 6:44 pm

this post makes me sad because now i want to go to trader jooooooooe’s. our closest one is 1.25 hours away. we went to visit friends in charleston, sc last month and a trip to tj’s was the first item on my agenda. my friend thought i was crazay. 6 cans of light coconut milk and 4 jars of salsa authentica? necessities!

i think the pre-cooked eggs taste better than when i make them so i buy those too.

i bought that same body butter and it is my new fave.

Natalie @ Will Jog For Food April 9, 2013 at 7:27 pm

I love that chopped salad! I gotta try the arugula one now. I love the body butter too. It only took me about a month to go through the whole tub.

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige April 9, 2013 at 7:43 pm

I want that body butter! I’m obsessed with body butters. And Trader Joe’s. I can’t wait til we get one in Boulder!!

Meg @ A Dash of Meg April 9, 2013 at 7:59 pm

mmmm thanks for doing this girl! I would love to try that jerky! I just had almond butter with flaxseed from TJ’s with my snack. It’s so amazing. We don’t have TJ’s here, but Abby from Abz n Oats sent me some as a present

Lea @ Coffee & Greens April 9, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Those almonds are the best thing ever, you seriously can let me any where near the container because I will finish them off in one sitting. My brother works at Trader Joe’s and he says he runs into customers all the time that have driven 3+ hours to shop there. I probably would too if there wasn’t one near me!

Elizabeth M. April 9, 2013 at 8:04 pm

I love the roasted beet and chicken salad they have. It’s magical! I don’t remember if it’s feta or goat cheese, but it’s great :)

Meghan @ After the Ivy League April 9, 2013 at 8:13 pm

I have an extreme passion for TJ’s as well! I’m a little obsessed, I’ve loved everything I’ve ever tried from there. I’m ashamed to admit I’ve never tried one of their pre packaged salads before though! Fixing that ASAP obviously.

Erica April 9, 2013 at 8:23 pm

YUP! Totally used to get my TJs shipped to me before we had one in Charleston- so rocks. I haven’t tried a lot of their salads- I need to do that. Next time Josh is on travel, I’m definitely going to TJs!! Those coconut chips are amazing.

Bria @ West of Persia and Yoga With Bria April 9, 2013 at 8:27 pm

That body butter rules! OMG, I hoard that stuff. Haaa!

Kristina April 9, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Yes! I just bought that body butter today! I usually buy Boot’s body butter in Brazilian nut (which smells like heaven, by the way), but I have to go to target for that. And, well, we all know how a “quick trip” to target goes. Glad I picked this up today. Saved me about $100 on the one item I needed :)

Nicole @ Fruit 'N' Fitness April 9, 2013 at 8:41 pm

I love TJ’s and almost everything I have had from there. I use cerave lotion, I have never tried TJ’s but I might just have to add it to the list for next time!

Trisha April 9, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Ohhh, I love me some TJs… Luckily it’s in a pretty inconvenient area of town so I’m not inclined to go there all too often. I’d probably overdose on cookie butter if I lived any closer. My favorite TJs item is probably their coconut oil. I don’t know why, I just think it’s better than any other I’ve tried. I’ve never tried their body butter but you can guarantee it’s on my list for next time! I use Aveeno in the winter, and Nivea Skin Firming in the summer. Leaves my skin nice and shiny without feeling greasy. For my face, it’s always Vitamin E cream. :)

Lisa April 9, 2013 at 9:42 pm

This makes me REALLY want a TJ’s by me. If only Canada could get in on this trend! I’m seriously hoping they do eventually. And I can’t believe I’ve never been to one before.
I’ve heard so many amazing things about the coconut body butter, my body shop brand will have to do:)

coco April 10, 2013 at 3:45 am

i’ve tried turkey jerk from CVS and had to toss it right away, it was really bad. should I try Tj’s? I love that it’s high in protein, perfect for an afternoon snack.

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats April 10, 2013 at 6:22 am

I so wish we had trader joes in Australia they have such an amazing range!

Jenny April 10, 2013 at 6:55 am

Ah so wish we had a Trader Joe’s down south!

1. I love hard boiled eggs as a go-to protein source, they are so filling!

2. Anything from L’Occitane is my favorite lotion :)

betty April 10, 2013 at 7:32 am

i bought 3 bags of the jerky last week :) i dont go to trader joes cause its not the easiest place to get to around here, plus is ALWAYS packed and gives me anxiety like no other.. glad you finally got one :)

betty April 10, 2013 at 7:36 am

i dont go often*

Alissa April 10, 2013 at 7:46 am

Love this post! For my birthday I got a $50 gift card to Trader Joe’s. Those almonds and that body butter will be going into my cart asap!

Carly @ Snack Therapy April 10, 2013 at 8:18 am

That Lemon Chicken + Arugula Salad is a staple in my diet! I’m so obsessed with it!

Linz @ Itz Linz April 10, 2013 at 8:40 am

ok you’ve convinced me to try the coconut chips!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat April 10, 2013 at 9:05 am

I love the spinach salad – the dressing is to die for!

'becca April 10, 2013 at 10:09 am

Recently introduced to Chia Bars. Love chia…in oats, smoothies, water, kombucha, on salads…but these bars are great! New OTG snack.

Coconut chips are a TJs fav of mine too. Yum!

Annette@FitnessPerks April 10, 2013 at 10:53 am

Great….now I feel I need coconut body butter and turkey jerky. Thanks a lot. ;)

hehe. Actually, I was looking for a good cream and I LOVE turkey jerky too. Good to hear it’s yummy!

Melissa April 10, 2013 at 11:52 am

I bought the coconut chips last time I was in San Antonio, but I can see myself abusing those!

I buy my eggs the same way, but from Costco

Heather @ Better With Veggies April 10, 2013 at 3:59 pm

This is really interesting, because I don’t get the Trader Joe’s obsession. We had one about 15 minutes away when we lived in Atlanta, but I really never went. Good to get more insight into why you like it thought! For me, I like to do all my grocery shopping at one place (which I can’t do at TJ) or online. :)

kris April 10, 2013 at 5:44 pm

That lemon chicken and arugula salad is theee best! My favorite on the go protein choice is probably think thin bars. I know some people think they taste strange, but I actually really like that taste.
Still need to try those coconut chips! Currently obsessed with TJ’s kale chips.

Jenn - Girl Heroes April 10, 2013 at 5:57 pm

I’m am SO stocking up on TJs when we get to SLC. We stocked up in Indianapolis but wrongly assumed there would be TJs here in Colorado. I even have an app that tells me where the nearest TJs, Whole Foods, or Sprouts (Sunflower) markets are located!

How did you make the first picture with Meals and Move and TJs? Did you use photoshop or some other program?

Gina B April 11, 2013 at 3:27 am

I was just making my grocery list, and I now have 4 more items to add to my list: salad, chocolate salted almonds, coconut chips, and coconut body butter! Thanks for the recommendations…I’m excited to try these!

Stephanie @ Wholesome By Design April 11, 2013 at 8:51 am

Trader Joe’s posts are my favorite! I tried a new salad the other day. Kale and broccoli slaw salad with sweet & spicy dressing. Yum! I just ate an entire bag of jerky yesterday. And I cannot live without those chocolate almonds. In fact, I will probably eat the entire tub by the end of today. And now I’m off to TJ’s to pick up boxes (but no food) so I can pack for my move. I’m moving across the street from TJs!!!

the delicate place April 11, 2013 at 11:39 am

i love those coconut chips! my go to protein travel source is tinned fishies or hard boiled eggs. best lotion: fig butter by korres and hand cream: actually just blogged about it!

Kerryne April 12, 2013 at 7:06 am

Okay, one of the best snack creations I came up with one day was this (YOU MUST TRY)… toast (I used our fav. low carb sourdough) strawberry laughing cow and sprinkled those coconut chips on top. It was SOOOO good!

kristen @ livinlifeinlouie April 13, 2013 at 4:40 pm

love trader joes! just went there this week and loaded up, I swear that place is awesome. I went to try out oat bran (suggestion for my cousins) and it is great in yogurt or made into a pancake with egg whites!

Club Trader Joes October 13, 2013 at 9:18 am

There isn’t much I don’t love at Trader Joe’s!