grocery goods + weekly dinner plan.

by Janetha on April 7, 2013

in groceries

hey! welcome to the end of the weekend… they sure do fly by.

i wanted to first thank you for all the input in my last post. it’s great to hear all of your thoughts on the matter!

my weekend has been a mixture of lazy and busy and full of good food and fun.

friday night i tried meditrina for my first time with kristen. we really enjoyed the small plates! we shared four different plates.. but the two desserts we shared were by far the best part. we had the caramelized apple tart filled with apple custard in a graham cracker crust and caramelized bananas with nutella mousse. YUM. then on saturday night we had some friends over for pizza and games, so marshall and i spent a large chunk of saturday cleaning the house. nothing like company coming over to kick your cleaning butt into high gear! the pizza party was a lot of fun!

i skipped the gym yesterday, so i switched rest days and headed to gold’s today to do the workout that i missed. all that pizza (and popcorn, and cookies, and chips & salsa…) i ate last night must have slowed me down, because i did this workout five minutes slower than the last time i did it. oh well! something is better than nothing.

after the gym i hit up the grocery stores for my usual sunday shopping. i accidentally wandered into lululemon before hitting whole foods. i made a few purchases…

NewImageNewImageNewImage

after my retail therapy, i headed into whole foods to get the items on my list (plus a few impulse buys.. hehe.)

IMG 6887

• kale
  • cilantro
  • bacon
  • ground beef
  • green pepper
  • 2 kinds of corn chips
  • whole wheat pastry flour
  • cereal (not on the list)
  • apple cinnamon bread (not on the list)
  • greek yogurt
  • cream cheese
  • 3 kinds of soup
  • vegan caesar dressing (not on the list)
  • pressed juice (not on the list)
  • beer (not on the list)
  • spaghetti squash (not pictured)
  • almonds (not pictured)
  • avocado (not pictured)

trader joe’s is just around the corner from whole foods.. quite convenient! i headed there and got some more of the items on my list.

IMG 6886

• lettuce
  • spinach
  • cauliflower
  • green onion
  • cucumbers
  • garlic
  • goat cheese
  • 2 kinds of hummus
  • tomatoes
  • chicken
  • eggs
  • coconut oil spray (new item! excited)
  • linguine
  • trail mix
  • tortillas
  • olives
  • sourdough bread
  • spaghetti sauce

finally i rounded out the shopping spree with a trip to costco. there were a handful of items i needed and i am proud to announce that i made no impulse purchases at costco, yay!

IMG 6885

• almond milk
  • black beans
  • hemp seeds
  • coffee
  • protein shakes
  • applesauce
  • naked juice

i planned my dinners this week around a lot of ingredients i already had on hand.. here is the plan:

• sunday: cobb salads
  • monday: spinach linguine with meat sauce, spaghetti squash, broccoli, and garlic bread
  • tuesday: green pepper, olive, goat cheese, and pepperoni pizza and side salads
  • wednesday: chicken enchiladas and black beans
  • thursday: red pepper tomato soup and chicken pesto paninis
  • friday & saturday: out to eat or find something in the fridge!

marshall and i just finished up our cobb salads (such a speedy meal!) and we are about to go see the evil dead. it looks flipping scary and i hate that but i don’t want to make marshall go all alone.. haha.

hope you have a great monday.

1. what’s on your dinner menu this week?

2. what was the best thing you ate over the weekend?

3. do you work out on sundays?

Lisa April 7, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Sounds like a nice weekend! A little fun and a little low key is how I usually prefer mine!
I’m always super impressed buy your grocery stash. I think I may just need to copy yours, since I’m the worst at preparing a list and all that. Too much effort for me I guess;) I totally should start thought, since I always forget at least one thing, I “need” to pick up.
I usually have rest days on Sundays, but if I’m not feeling it, I’ll totally skip them.
Have a great week!

Corrie Anne April 7, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Nooo… it’s not over yet. Haha. Trying to make it last by staying up a little bit later although I’m sure I’ll regret it in the am. We’ve been taking it pretty easy on Sundays — I take Pippa out for a bit, and I practiced a few things but never worked up a sweat! I haven’t been great about meal planning lately which isn’t smart since it usually means extra trips to the store when I’m extra busy so it’s worth it. I need some new some Lulu. :)

Kim April 7, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Hi!! I usually don’t plan my meals, but I should really start doing that.. I do have a lot of ground beef, so I’ll be making things like meat sauce and pasta this week. And maybe taco one day!! Haha, I need to go to the store..

I ate carrot cake and it was pretty awesome!! :)

I like working out on sundays, but somtimes(like yesterday) I’m hangover and I just cannot. Then I go for walks instead!!

Jen @nutcaseinpoint April 7, 2013 at 11:06 pm

I’m most excited for what I planned for dinner on friday: paninis. I’m going to have turkey, cheddar and Granny Smith apple on cinnamon raisin bread!! ( have to make use of the impulse buy panini press. Haha)

Trisha April 8, 2013 at 6:42 am

That panini sounds AMAZING!

Ben Ash April 8, 2013 at 1:46 am

Thank you so much for the list! Figuring and planning out healthy meal everyday is so much hassle.

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance April 8, 2013 at 3:28 am

Cute Lululemon finds! I haven’t been there in a while–I should check it out (and save up a bit first). lol. Why does it have to be so expensive??? :)

Sunday was my rest day. Now I’m ready to get back to it. Have a great day!

coco April 8, 2013 at 3:46 am

I plan to have macro plate for dinner this week and salad for lunch.

I love seeing your groceries hauls! :)

Rebecca April 8, 2013 at 4:25 am

I bought the same big bag of Hemp Hearts at Costco last weekend. I love Hemp seeds, I put them on cereal, smoothies, and sweet potatos (<–so good!)

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats April 8, 2013 at 4:45 am

Yes I usually always try and workout Sundays and have a rest day on Fridays instead as I like the workouts on the weekend where I have the freedom of more time :)

Erica April 8, 2013 at 4:57 am

Ow! Those desserts sound yummy. I am a huge dinner party fan! Much more relaxing than going out. Haha- I love that you “accidentally” went into lulu:

1. what’s on your dinner menu this week?
M: Chobani Mexican Bake (from Cookin Fanatic)
T: Homemade marinara (from Two Peas) and pasta/veggies/chicken
W: Burgers on salad (veggie for her, chicken for him)
R: I’ve left this one open for now…maybe something easy like brinner

2. what was the best thing you ate over the weekend? Honestly, it wasn’t a very exciting eats weekend. PB bars I made?

3. do you work out on sundays? Only if I’ve planned a long run or have to sub at the gym. I subbed this week and taught Pump

Trisha April 8, 2013 at 6:41 am

You have inspired me to get back to weekly meal planning, lately i’ve just been winging it.. and it’s ending up becoming wasteful. Plus during the week , I hardly eat “dinners” anyway.. just end up picking because too lazy by that point. My thing is lunches.. need to plan those. Hoping to spend less on groceries.. I too have a Whole Foods and TJ near each other! AWESOME!

Best thing I ate: Chicken rice bowl from restaurant called Bartaco (tapas family style tacos, mexican fare… SO DELICIOUS! )

My workout schedule is so erratic as is my work week, I have a rotating schedule.. work 4 days on 2 days off, so every week days off are different. I just go based on how I feel. Today is a day off. Sore and feel like I need it.

betty April 8, 2013 at 7:29 am

best thing i ate this weekend was: i made your chicken bowls with the tjs salsa verde! so good and soo easy! it cooked while we put ikea furniture together and worked outside! i’m also hooked on those frontera sauces because of you. we love mexican as much as you all! i’m hoping to bust out the grill this week and cook some burgers.

Janetha April 8, 2013 at 8:21 am

I ate that three times last week, lol. Once for dinner and twice for lunch. We have been using chips as a vehicle to the mouth instead of a fork :)

betty April 9, 2013 at 7:51 am

i used chips, too :) so good.

Anna @AnnaTheApple April 8, 2013 at 7:31 am

Ahh I have only just come across lululemon and honestly I could buy the whole shop. I settled with a sports bra, how exciting haha. Love the stuff you chose though – especially the middle pic.
Our dinner menu seems to be pretty much chicken! Every meal seems to have chicken in it…whoops, hopefully the hubby won’t notice. Best thing I ate this weekend was definitely two cupcakes and a slice of cake. They were spaced apart if that’s any justification haha…

Linz @ Itz Linz April 8, 2013 at 8:09 am

i had fro yo on thursday so that def trumps any of my weekend eats! i’m feeling a crockpot chicken dish sometime this week – easy & healthy! :) :)

Tamara April 8, 2013 at 8:54 am

I agree about having company. We often joke that it’s time to invite someone over so we can get motivated to clean! ;)

I’m making Bob’s Red Mill gluten free pancakes (I’m not gluten free, just tried that mix out of curiosity and it’s pretty good) and baked Hormel Natural Choice uncured bacon for dinner tomorrow, spaghetti or gnocchi with meat sauce on Wednesday, and sandwiches on Thursday (I work my p.t. job after I get off work, so I won’t get home until almost 8). Tonight I’m visiting my sister, BIL, and nieces, including the newest 6-week-old one! Not sure what we’ll be having for din din. And then Friday we’re going back to their house for my oldest niece’s 6th bday party! Pizza and cake, yay!

For lunches this week (except Wednesday, which is a “lunch and learn” at work, not sure what they’re serving), I’m having black bean, green onion, green chile, pepper jack cheese, and sour cream tacos on Mission artisan corn and wheat blend tortillas, plus grape tomatoes and baby bell peppers. Yum!

Linda April 8, 2013 at 9:32 am

How do you use those Hemp Hearts? I’ve seen them at Costco but never bought them.

Janetha April 8, 2013 at 9:40 am

We put them in our juice made in the Vitamix, but they are also really good sprinkled on ANYTHING. Seriously–yogurt, cereal, toast, you name it.

sherice@foodieluvsfitness April 8, 2013 at 9:41 am

I’m so freakin jealous.. we don’t have the Coconut oil spray at my TJ *sniff sniff*.. and I LOVE their spicy hummus and the Jalapeno cilantro hummus!!!

Thanks for sharing your groceries.. For some reason I really love seeing what other people buy.. Does that make me a weirdo? LOL

Janetha April 8, 2013 at 10:10 am

If it does, then we are both weirdos ;)

RainStorm April 8, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Love your new workout gear. I bought a purple sports bra and a new swimsuit today!
I don’t normally do any exercise on a Sunday, but yesterday I had a special ballet class. I skipped Saturday’s lesson instead.
I have just eaten the yummiest chilli con carne that I have made in ages. Hopefully the leftovers will take me through to Wednesday at least :)

Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily April 8, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Coconut oil spray?! Be still my paleo loving, coconut hoarding heart!

Rachel April 8, 2013 at 12:25 pm

That Blue Moon is AWESOME. I’ve only had it in the sampler pack last year, but I’m excited to see you found a 6-pack! I’m off to find one for myself!!

Kim @ Living, Laughing & Losing April 8, 2013 at 1:06 pm

I SO wish there was a TJ near me. I hear so much about it but I’ve never been.

I made some brussels sprouts and ground pork with onions and dates. The dates were a last minute decision that turned out really good. :)

Annette@FitnessPerks April 8, 2013 at 1:27 pm

That Lulu jacket…LOVE!

And girl, I NEED that coconut spray!

Heather @ Fit Mama Real Food April 8, 2013 at 4:13 pm

I get my hemp hearts at costco too! Spent way to much money there on Sunday. No workouts on Sunday, always my rest day. And I loooove that middle lulu top. So cute.

Elizabeth M. April 8, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Is that the new scooba hoodie? I heard they’re shorter, and my long torso was just barely ok with the previous one. Sad day!

We went hiking on Sunday, it was soooo nice!

Janetha April 8, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Yeah.. it’s shorter :( But I caved and bought it when they came out with white. I wanted a white hoodie SO bad so I am making do with the shorter length. I still look for the original on eBay every day haha

BroccoliHut April 8, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Yay! I love your grocery posts! Sounds like we have similar strategies for weekend meals–eat out or fend for yourself! Sunday night usually ends up as leftovers night.
This week’s dinner menu also includes fajitas and homemade pizza.
Sunday is usually my rest day from exercise, but I often take Margot for a long walk on that day.

the delicate place April 9, 2013 at 11:48 am

i *try* to workout on sunday but i usually am too lazy, lately i have only been working out 3x a week. i don’t like the suja juices bc they are too sweet for me. i like the blue print ones though…gimme the greens!

i ate at a raw vegan place over the weekend and had a stuffed portobella with riced cauli/kale and a coconut ricotta with sunflower crema. it was delicious and more filling than i thought it would be!