kettlebell tabata & the ten healthiest foods.

by Janetha on April 2, 2013

in moves,tips

hola. my blog has been timing out a bunch lately and giving mad server errors. sorry if you are experiencing technical difficulties.. i am looking into it.

sooo.. how’s it goin? i am good! i just finished dinner.. huevos rancheros. mmmmm.

IMG 6792

it had been too long since i’d made my ranchero sauce. marshall suggested it for dinner this week. smart man.

i have been playing with kettlebells lately. love those things. i did a fun 10-minute kettlebell pyramid warm up today at GPP. i also have a kettlebell tabata-style workout to share with you!

the tabata protocol is a form of high intensity interval training. it is a four-minute workout consisting of 20 seconds of work followed by 10 seconds of rest for eight rounds, totaling the four minutes. most workouts you see with the label “tabatas” or “tabata workout” are borrowing the tabata protocol structure and applying it to multiple exercises.

this kettlebell workout below takes the four-minute format and applies it to six different kettlebell moves. the workout allows for one minute of rest between each four-minute set, making the entire workout just thirty minutes! in those thirty minutes you will get a killer cardio workout as well as hit your whole body with some strength training and muscle toning. it’s an all-around butt kicker!

for the workout, all you need is a kettlebell (i use 25#, but choose a weight that fits with your fitness level) and an interval timer. i have a gymboss but there are also several tabata timer apps for your smartphone.

White Page (1)
disclaimer

[pinit]

if you aren’t familiar with the moves above, check out these video tutorials:

we do tabata style workouts at my gym all the time! if you are in the market for a few good ones, check them out:

if you are in the market for a kettlebell, you can pick one up from onnit! they have several sizes and even have a sweet starter 3-pack for beginners.

ohh.. and ironically, i checked out my timehop app tonight and saw that three years ago, the lovely deb posted a guest post all about kettlebells!

NewImage

love deb. love kettlebells. the post is an oldie, but a goodie.. there are tons of tips, some videos, and jenn makes a guest appearance as well. you should check it out :)

in other news.. i came across this article on fitness magazine today naming the ten healthiest foods on the PLANET. hmmmmm, on the planet, you say? it piqued my interest so i took a look at the list.

the top ten foods they named are:

1. lemons
  2. broccoli
  3. dark chocolate
  4. potatoes
  5. salmon
  6. walnuts
  7. avocados
  8. garlic
  9. spinach
  10. beans

you can see the article for the science and reasoning behind each food!

looking at this list, i am happy to report i eat the majority of these foods regularly. in fact, i ate broccoli, dark chocolate, avocados, garlic, spinach, and beans today! i also have eaten lemons and potatoes recently.

the only two i don’t eat often are salmon and walnuts. marshall doesn’t love seafood, so i don’t fix it often. i don’t eat walnuts because i have geographic tongue and walnuts irritate it.

well.. i’m heading to bed! i am super tired because i was out late last night. i saw the latest showing of the call. OMG, you guys HAVE to see it. SO good!

1. have you done tabata-style workouts? do you like them?

2. how many of the “top ten healthiest foods” do you eat regularly?

Hillary {Nutrition Nut on the Run} April 2, 2013 at 9:32 pm

that workout looks like a fat sizzler! i think i need my own personal kb in my life. love them!!

Kristina April 3, 2013 at 12:00 am

Chocolate made the cut? Alright, I’m doing something right! I eat lemons, garlic, spinach and avocados almost everyday, salmon, walnuts and broccoli a couple times a week… and now dark chocolate everyday for the rest of my life. Thanks for making my sweet tooth okay :)

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats April 3, 2013 at 12:32 am

I love kettlebells but have only really done mainly swings not much else. I really want to give these extra exercises a go as I love tabata workouts too.

RainStorm April 3, 2013 at 3:28 am

I ate six of those yesterday! The only one I don’t eat regularly is avocado – never really saw the point in it! :)

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance April 3, 2013 at 3:31 am

Yay! I eat all of those ALL the time! At least, if sweet potato counts for potato (I don’t like regular potatoes). And they’re all so good, too! :) win-win.

Erica April 3, 2013 at 4:26 am

All but salmon over here! I wish I liked fish…The huevos rancheros looks so darn good. Hope the blog issue clear up

Allison @ Life's a Bowl April 3, 2013 at 4:36 am

Haha I feel silly making this comment out of the whole post buttt I have a geographical tongue too – glad someone else knows what I mean ;P

lindsay April 3, 2013 at 5:17 am

deb is the kettlebell queen. She needs a DVD to sell. and yes, marshall is a smart man. I have a feeling he’d get along well with my man. mexican food lover!
p.s.
I think wine should be on that list

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles April 3, 2013 at 5:43 am

Makes me happy that dark chocolate is on the list – I definitely eat that regularly!
I eat most of the things on that list pretty often, or at least semi-regularly. I don’t eat a lot of walnuts though, I’m not a big fan.

Heather (Where's the Beach) April 3, 2013 at 6:51 am

Love tabata and kettlebells. Last year when I couldn’t run, I did a lot of kettlebell tabata workouts. They are surprisingly hard! And I pretty much eat everything on that list minus salmon and avocados.

Maren April 3, 2013 at 7:25 am

I teach a tabata class on Wednesdays actually! How convenient that I’m reading this this morning! BTW I had a dream about Blend last night! It was super weird and all mixed up, but that’s always how dreams go. I’m getting so excited!!

Ja @Ja on the RUN April 3, 2013 at 9:45 am

Yummy dinner! I love avocados on tacos. They give a little twist to any dishes! :)
That workout looks like a killer. I haven’t done anything like that but I think I need one. :)

Annette@FitnessPerks April 3, 2013 at 9:57 am

I eat all of those except avocados! I don’t love potatoes though–and personally don’t believe they fit in the healthiest food in the world (maybe sweet potatoes…..), but that’s just my opinion though ;)

YAY kettlebells! I def want to use more of ’em in the future in workouts!

kristen @ livinlifeinlouie April 3, 2013 at 10:55 am

thanks for sharing the kettlebell workout! my workouts have been boring me recently, so I can’t wait to try this!

Nicole @ Fruit 'N' Fitness April 3, 2013 at 11:35 am

I love sweet potatoes but I dont like white potatoes, unless they are my stepdads roasted fingerling potatoes, I don’t know what he does but they are amazing! Broccoli, avocado, nuts and garlic are frequents in my diet as well.

Linz @ Itz Linz April 3, 2013 at 12:53 pm

great workout and i do love all the foods listed in the 10 healthiest!

Katie April 3, 2013 at 1:11 pm

so excited to try that workout! (then go eat some dark chocolate)

Jenn - Girl Heroes April 3, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Awwww that post about Deb made me smile so BIG! I can’t believe that was 3 years ago!!! Wow how time flies!!!! I believe you were the one who introduced Deb and I’m thankful for that. She has been a good friend. Speaking of friends I will email you soon. We are going to Utah in the not too disant future.

Also I like that beans are on that list. I’m always reading so many conflicting things about beans (mostly from the primal/paleo crowd) but I really like beans and it makes me happy when I see information about their health benefits. Thanks for the link.

I. Can’t. Wait. To. See. (Steal?) Penny and Randy. I mean you!!!! ;-) xoxo

Meghan @ After the Ivy League April 3, 2013 at 6:14 pm

The different superfoods lists are always intriguing..I feel like I always see salmon, almonds, avocado, and dark green veggies. I usually eat them pretty often! Today I had a dark chocolate bunny from Easter so I’m feeling extra healthy now since it’s one of the best foods you can eat right? haha :)

BroccoliHut April 3, 2013 at 6:28 pm

The only one on the list I don’t eat is walnuts–apparently walnut oil can cause complications with my thyroid medication. Blah. Too bad, because I like them! I usually just substitute pecans for anything that has walnuts in it.

Jenny April 4, 2013 at 6:10 pm

LOVE tabata style workouts and I love kettlebells! I’m totally bookmarking this for a future workout. I don’t each as much spinach as I used to, but that’s because I’m on a kale kick so I think I’m good :)

Trisha April 9, 2013 at 9:26 pm

I actually do like tabata style workouts… I just don’t really do them (or any sort of workout) very often as of late. Working on it!
I LOVE all of the foods on the list. I’ve been 111% obsessed with avocado lately so I’m especially glad that’s on there!