mind over matter.

by Janetha on March 25, 2013

in goals,tips

hello and welcome to another week! i hope your monday was fantastic.

i had a hard time getting up and running this morning. every monday my wake up call comes an hour and a half earlier than the rest of the week days. the fact that i had a jam-packed weekend didn’t help my tired factor one bit. i have said it before and i will say it again: i am NOT a morning person. but, the thing is, it’s all in my head. we all have the capability to be morning people. it’s our mind tricking us into thinking our body can’t get up and get going. i know this firsthand because i often times have to just put my mind over matter and get things done.

i am not just talking about getting out of bed in the morning. there are so many other aspects of my life where i need to remember to put mind over matter. i even have a necklace i wear to remind me of the importance of this concept.

Picture of Kettlebell (medium pewter) Mind Over Matter(source)

one of my favorite quotes comes from henry ford, which is along the same lines of mind over matter:

untitled

the mind is a powerful thing! sometimes we get so wrapped up in training our bodies at the gym and dialing in our nutrition in the kitchen, but we don’t take the time to exercise our mind to make changes for the better. seriously, i know that if your mind is not in the game, you are setting yourself up for failure. you have to BELIEVE to ACHIEVE.

the third part of the beautiful change challenge i am participating in focuses on mind & spirit. i have been asked to share inspiring tips to help envision making our passions a reality.

here are a few ways to keep the mind over matter mindset in check.

1. keep your eye on the prize.

sometimes the best way to kick your body’s strong desire to laze the day away is remember why you are putting your mind over matter in the first place.

what is your goal? weight loss? a new career? run a marathon? buy a house? whatever it is–write your dream or goal down (this is “the prize”) and make sure it is somewhere you will see it often. set it as the wall paper of your phone, write it on a post it and stick it to your computer monitor, or hang it on the wall in a room you’re in the most. if you keep your eye on what you’re working for, you are less likely to procrastinate.

2. take it one step at a time.

how does the saying go… rome wasn’t built in a day? yeah. you aren’t going to make your dreams a reality over night. but if you take things one step at a time, you will eventually end up where you want to be.

it is so easy to get discouraged because our aspirations seem so unreachable and far away. take a deep breath and just focus on making a little bit of progress each day! you don’t need to get there over night. you have your whole life. just make you are taking one step forward rather than taking two steps back.

3. read and repeat positive sayings and quotes.

sometimes you just need to amp yourself up and really trick your mind into motivating yourself. that’s what pinterest is for, right? haha. here are a few of my favorites…

(source)

(source)

(source)

(source)

that last one is my VERY FAVORITE. it always gets me going!!

i also love workout gear that has sayings on them, like my “sore today, stronger tomorrow” tank and my “stronger than yesterday” tank. love them both!

so, what are you waiting for? dream big and then make those dreams a reality. if you put your mind to it, the possibilities are endless!

1. what are some of your favorite inspirational sayings and/or quotes?

2. are you a morning person or a night owl?

___________________

logo

From Aveeno, the sponsor of the Beautiful Change Challenge: Now, it’s actually healthy to wash your hair every day. AVEENO® PURE RENEWAL lets you renew your hair to its naturally balanced state daily. Unlike ordinary shampoos, these sulphate-free formulas have Balancing Seaweed Extract; bringing hair back to its naturally healthy, most balanced state with each wash, for beautifully healthy-looking hair.

Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Aveeno via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Aveeno.

Erica March 25, 2013 at 6:06 pm

LOVE this. SO many inspirational quotes. Definitely a morning person. I am believer in the first step is the hardest, but the most important. I also often have to remind myself you can do anything but you can’t do EVERYTHING ;)

Bekki March 25, 2013 at 6:09 pm

I have to do things in the morning- or they will not get done. I fade about 3pm- so I have to get it done early…
I have tried working out etc… at night I just don’t end up doing it :)

Anne March 25, 2013 at 6:10 pm

The one quote that always motivates me to to get moving is “If you’re tired of starting over, stop giving up.”

Rebecca P. March 25, 2013 at 6:13 pm

I am definitely am a morning person, I pop awake around 5 every morning no matter what. This Saturday I’ll be taking my first spin class at 7am, im pumped!

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats March 25, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Definitely a night owl but I switched to being a morning person to make going to the gym a priority every day. Meaning I did something I’d never done to gain something I’d never gained :)

Some of my favourites are ‘Dont complain about results you didn’t get with the effort you didn’t put in’ ‘It never gets easier you just get better’ and one of my favs ‘JFDI’ :D

Marisa March 25, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Love these quotes!!! My boyfriend and I went running in the sand in the morning last week and I had lead legs on the way back. We stopped and I was making an excuse, “..but I haven’t run all week so it’s hard” and he pointed to his head… I started running right away. Mind over matter is something he tells me all the time! It is a true statement. Great post :)

Trisha March 25, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Great quotes! I’ve pretty much always been a night owl, but I think I’m finally training myself to go to bed earlier and wake up earlier. Truthfully, I have a hard time sleeping in even when I’m able. Guess I’m getting old!

purelytwins March 25, 2013 at 8:06 pm

totally agree with #3! something that we try to do on a daily basis!
and we are big believers in mind over matter :) though it’s something we have to work at, but getting better.
we seem to switch from being night owls to morning people. it varies haha

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli March 25, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Awesome post, girlie! I love that quote by Socrates…never heard that one before! It is ALL about taking it one day at a time! I’ve begun to see just how important the whole “baby steps” technique is over the last week or so with my physical therapy for my knee. During my session today, I was almost brought to tears (especially once my mom gave me that, “I’m so proud of you face”! lol) as I started to realize JUST how much progress I had made…in only ONE week! Last Monday I could barely get my toe on the ground and today I am actually starting to walk on it…with one crutch, but STILL! Progress is PROGRESS!! :D

*Andrea* March 25, 2013 at 9:26 pm

LOVE that henry ford quote!!!

i have a huge google doc full of my favorite quotes that i keep adding to. here are some favs:

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery; none but ourselves can free our minds. — Bob Marley

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. – Buddha

“Comparison is the thief of joy.” – Theodore Roosevelt
“There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.” Thich Nhat Han

I am definitely a night owl!!! i hateeee waking up to alarms

lindsay March 25, 2013 at 10:26 pm

done and done! mind over matter is our motto! Life is too short to stay within the comfort zone.

Kenzie @ sarcasminspandex March 25, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Definitely a night owl. Insomnia helps me get a lot done at night.

Favorite quotes:
“Experience is what you get when you don’t get what you wanted.”

“Any excuse, no matter how valid, weakens character.”

Tamara March 26, 2013 at 8:38 am

I used to be a night owl, but I’ve really shifted in order to make my morning workouts happen.

I love these:

“No one can make you feel inferior [insert any emotion/feeling here] without your consent.” ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

“It’s never too late to be what you might have been.” ~ George Eliot

“Happiness is a way of travel, not a destination.” ~ Roy Goodman

When asked, “How do you let go of negativity,” Eckhart Tolle responds, “How do you let go of a hot coal that you are holding in your hand? You drop it.”

And Andrea already listed one of my all-time faves, but it’s worth repeating: “Comparison is the thief of joy.” ~ Teddy Roosevelt. SO true.

Annette@FitnessPerks March 26, 2013 at 9:53 am

That last quote is one of my faves too!! ANd that Henry Ford quote. THey resonate with us because they’re true & our souls KNOW IT! :)

Neil March 26, 2013 at 8:57 pm

“Your body hears everything your mind says.”

Don’t remember who said it.

Janetha March 26, 2013 at 8:59 pm

LOVE

julie March 31, 2013 at 6:37 pm

i LOVE your workout tanks with the super cute motivation quotes! where do you get them from? ps i bet this will be on your next q&a post hahaha XOXO!!