this week: groceries & dinner plan.

by Janetha on March 24, 2013

in groceries

hi! happy sunday.

i just finished putting away my groceries. while i love grocery shopping with a passion, i absolutely hate putting it all away! kinda like laundry–hate putting that away, too. because i was reluctant to get it done, i took my sweet time putting it away and snapped some photos so i could share my purchases with you. i went to brunch at porcupine with some friends and then stopped at trader joe’s and whole foods on my way home. i didn’t have a list made out or any meals planned for the week, so that lead to some unnecessary impulse buys and a lot of random items ending up in my cart!

IMG 6504

produce.

• pineapple
  • kale
  • spinach
  • strawberries
  • apples (pink cripps and braeburn)
  • cucumbers
  • sprouts
  • cauliflower
  • asparagus
  • onions (red and yellow)

IMG 6505

meats.

• bacon
  • precooked chicken breast
  • ground beef
  • ground turkey
  • pepperoni
  • herbed deli turkey

IMG 6508

breads.

• bagels
  • sourdough bread
  • ezekiel bread
  • alexia frozen garlic bread
  • pizza dough

• chobani tubes
  • hummus
  • jerky

IMG 6506

beverages.

• kombucha
  • simply sweet chai concentrate
  • french vanilla coconut milk creamer
IMG 6510

everything else.

• red pepper tomato soup
  • lentil soup
  • enchilada sauce
  • olives
  • diced green chiles
  • marinated mediterranean vegetables
  • taco shells
  • refried black beans
  • dry black beans
  • cream cheese
  • egg salad
  • poptarts
  • dog treats

since i didn’t make time to plan out any new dinners this week, i defaulted to five of our favorite things. this menu is super typical for us. i usually try to throw one or two new things into the week, but sometimes it is nice to fall back on what i know we like.

dinner meal plan.

• sunday: crunchy tacos (made with ground beef & frontera key lime cilantro skillet sauce) and refried black beans
  • monday: pizza with pepperoni, mediterranean vegetables, and goat cheese and a side salad
  • tuesday: spinach linguine (trader joe’s brand) with turkey marinara and steamed asparagus
  • wednesday: BFD! bacon, eggs, and potatoes
  • thursday: turkey & goat cheese paninis and soup
  • friday: wing it.. maybe we will go out. maybe we will eat fruity pebbles.
  • saturday: out to eat.. we are going to see adam carolla and dr. drew!
that’s the plan. we shall see if i stick to it. i usually stray a little.

hope you all have a great last week of march!

1. what are you having for dinner this week?

2. would you rather put groceries away or laundry away?

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 24, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Speaking of not wanting to put laundry away, mine is sitting in the dryer… ha!

My meal plan for the week generally consists of two things that are eaten every other night until the leftovers are gone. ;)

Momma b March 24, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Wow and there’s only two if you :-)

I’m making Irish meatloaf with twice reduced cabbage cream sauce, mashed potatoes, brown gravy, green beans and tapioca pudding….been cooking for 3.5 hours. I’ve officially decided not to cook for the next 3 days!!

I’m sure this meatloaf will feed a small army or do just fine as leftovers :)

Boy we are poured out of the same mold…I don’t like to put groceries away either. I might just pick laundry…it doesn’t spoil if I leave it out!!!

Love you my sweet girl!!

xo

jess t March 24, 2013 at 6:19 pm

i hate every part of doing laundry so i would definitely say i would rather put groceries away. buuuut my husband is weird and loves putting away groceries so he normally does it (and the laundry too, i might be spoiled)

i planned out all of our dinners this morning! i never plan for fridays because we always end up going out or eating pancakes anyway.
monday – burrito bowls with shredded crockpot salsa chicken
tuesday – black bean soup & quesadillas
wednesday – broiled haddock, spaghetti squash gratin, & broccoli
thursday – baked chicken parmesan over spaghetti squash w/homemade sauce

Bekki March 24, 2013 at 6:49 pm

I too HATE putting away grocery purchases….when you count how many times you actually have to touch the food before even attempting to cook …lol

Kristina March 24, 2013 at 7:12 pm

I don’t mind putting groceries away as long as there’s a taste test in it for me :)

Wednesday looks like the best. I love breakfast for dinner (or anytime)!

kendra @ kennygump March 24, 2013 at 8:10 pm

neither are fun, i’m with ya. but groceries if i had to choose. looks like some good food. i think i will be trying hawaiian crock-pot chicken this week. chicken, soysauce, brown sugar and pineapple juice. but i’ll probably add some pineapple and bell pepper too.

Trisha March 24, 2013 at 8:20 pm

I will put groceries away all day every day before I’ll put away laundry. In fact, I kind of enjoy the process as long as our fridge and cupboards aren’t already full to the gills. I’ve been great about “using what we have” rather than going out to buy new groceries as of late, so there’s plenty of room for a TJ’s trip soon!
As for dinners this week? NO clue. ;)

Erica March 24, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Your meal plan sounds excellent! We have brinner on the menu too. I go grocery shopping on Fridays so:
Friday: Dinner at Josh’s parents
Saturday: Fiesta at our house with friends- I made pulled taco chicken in the crock pot, refried beans in the crock pot, lots of taco toppings & desserts
Sunday: Salads!
Monday: Salads re-run using leftovers
Tuesday: Stir Fry
Wednesday: Burgers (chicken for him, bean for her)
Thursday: Brinner

Jenn - Girl Heroes March 24, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Groceries any day!! Although getting them in the RV fridge is a lot like playing tetris.

Corrie Anne March 24, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Groceries over laundry every day. There are no snacks in the laundry!! Haha. I’ve definitely gotten more into a routine with our meals now that I’m working a lot more — it just makes sense. But this week with more free time hopefully I can try a few new things!

Lauren March 24, 2013 at 10:39 pm

I miss the days when I would cook 4-5 weeknight meals. Now I’m lucky to get in one good home cooked meal but you’d think my grocery bills would be significantly less. Not so much. Not really sure what’s happening w/ that. LoL

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats March 25, 2013 at 3:23 am

Groceries away for sure! I hate folding laundry and with groceries I’m a bit OCD about liking everything to be in a specific place :)

Those blue corn taco shells look yum we don’t have anything like that here in Australia.

Julia@cookandburn.com March 25, 2013 at 7:20 am

I’d rather put groceries away as I do 4 loads of laundry for just my husband and me each week (but I do buy groceries for 6 people…). Might be a toss up.

What’s on the dinner menu for this week (and I will be sharing details/calorie amounts on my blog):
Chicken Florentine Soup
French Bread Pizza w/homemade Arrabiata Sauce & Proscuitto
Pork Chop Sandwiches w/Broccoli
Chicken & Shrimp Fajitas
Squash, Potato & Ham Frittata

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance March 25, 2013 at 8:20 am

Adam Corolla and Dr. Drew?!?! That’s awesome. And a total throwback for me . . . I used to listen to their show late at night on the radio real quietly so my parents wouldn’t hear (they wouldn’t have approved)! Ha!

Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily March 25, 2013 at 10:45 am

I hate putting laundry away, groceries, I am fine with that. Our meal plan this week:
Monday: Beef raviolis, garlic bread
Tuesday: Chicken, roasted potatoes
Wednesday: Kielbasa, peppers, onions and rice
Thursday: Chicken Alfredo

Each meal will also have vegetables or a salad as well. Have a great week :)

the delicate place March 25, 2013 at 11:17 am

i’d rather put the groceries away than the laundry lol. nate and i eat separate meals usually except for a couple nights a week. we usually have the same protein but different side dishes (he does rice or something with gluten that i can’t eat) and i have some sort of veg or soup. we don’t meal plan just buy whatever protein we either feel like eating or is on sale that week. lately, we have just been eating tons of eggs!

Brittany @ Little b's healthy habits March 25, 2013 at 11:39 am

Yumm the Trilogy flavor is my faaavv!

JJ March 25, 2013 at 11:54 am

Adam and Dr. Drew! I am soooo jealous! I listen to their all their podcasts (the ones they do together and their individual ones) almost every day, or I download a bunch for trips. Hope you enjoy it.

Annette@FitnessPerks March 25, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Fruity pebbles. hahahhaha! :)

I love easy dinners like that! hah

cookie March 25, 2013 at 1:27 pm

I wish I was that organized. I keep planning to do a meal plan, but I never get round to it.

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries March 25, 2013 at 2:08 pm

I despise putting away laundry too! Groceries aren’t as bad, but still not a fan of that either. ;) Looks like you have some delicious eats on the menu for the week!

Ja @Athlete Within Ja March 25, 2013 at 3:50 pm

I am the only one different here. I’d rather put laundry away. :) I usually do the groceries so I let my husband put groceries away. :))

BroccoliHut March 25, 2013 at 6:09 pm

I’m the same way–I HATE putting away laundry. In fact, it usually sits in the basket until the next time I do laundry (usually a week later). Then I really do have to put it away.
SO I would much rather put away groceries!

Nicole @ Fruit 'N' Fitness March 25, 2013 at 9:07 pm

I kind of like putting away groceries, since i’m normally snacking on something at the same time. I hate putting laundry away and emptying the dishwasher.