fun food finds.

by Janetha on March 10, 2013

in Uncategorized

hi, guys! hope you had a great weekend. i feel a little ripped off since it was an hour shorter.. but i shouldn’t complain because i LOVE the extra daylight.

i have had quite the relaxing day. i woke up at 10:30 (but really 9:30, right?? how long can we say that?) and then met two friends at starbucks for a couple hours of catching up over a grande chai tea latte. i left starbucks and spent my sunday afternoon wandering around station park in farmington. station park is a newer development with a plethora of stores. today i hit up ross, home goods, marshall’s, tilly’s, petco, and harmon’s.

i didn’t purchase things at every store.. i just like wandering the aisles and browsing. it’s very therapeutic for me! i spent three solid hours just walking around. i did walk away with some fun finds (and, granted, some impulse buys!) and thought i would share them with you.

i ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS check ross and TJ maxx for vanilla bean paste. that’s the only place i can ever find it, but they rarely have it. i lucked out today when i found SIX jars of vanilla bean paste at ross. you better believe i bought all six.

IMG 6968

i love vanilla bean paste! i use it instead of vanilla extract (equal ratio) and it makes everything taste sooo much better. plus, i love the bean specks.

i found this discounted jar of coconut butter at home goods. i never bite the bullet and buy it because it’s $12 for a tiny jar at whole foods.. but this jar was six bucks so i decided to buy it. half off is hard to come by. i usually make my own coconut butter (need to post that recipe/tutorial soon) but it’s pretty time consuming. this was definitely an impulse buy, but it was a good one!

IMG 6970

i spotted this new flavor of hope hummus at harmon’s. i LOVE the sweet potato flavor and the spicy avocado flavor, but hadn’t seen this thai coconut curry flavor until today! i opened it and enjoyed it on a rice cake before it even made its way into the fridge.. haha. it’s delicious! it’s slightly spicy and has just the right amount of coconut. i’m thinking that it would be delicious on some noodles and chicken for a quick & easy meal.

IMG 6979IMG 6983

i have been wanting to try this variety of toblerone for awhile now. i love the original version so i can only assume this kind is just as good. i have a cookie idea in mind using toblerone, so i bought a couple to help me with my baking experimentation!

IMG 6974

luna bars were on sale for a buck! had to pick up a couple of them. unfortunately they were out of my favorite (chocolate dipped coconut), but they did have the peppermint chocolate which comes in as a close second. it tastes like a girl scout thin mint cookie. i haven’t tried the s’mores flavor yet, but i am sure i won’t be disappointed. i love that the luna bars don’t contain dairy, as i am eating 95% dairy free these days.

IMG 6977

i saw these fruit snacks at the check out line. they sure know how to place products! i snagged a box for marshall to use for his lunches. his fave flavor of anything is strawberry, so i got that, but they also had raspberry.

IMG 6971

these apples were on display front & center in the produce department. again.. product placement is everything! i can’t wait to try–have you ever had an opal apple?

i was looking for some tomato bruschetta to spread on some paninis tonight, and i spotted this artichoke bruschetta. sign me up!

IMG 6947IMG 6949

even though i have nixed most cheeses, i have found that i CAN tolerate goat cheese. (freaking yay, ’cause it’s the best!) i like the goat cheese crumbles from trader joe’s, but i wasn’t in SLC.. so i decided to see if harmon’s had goat cheese crumbles. they didn’t, but i did find this goat cheese spread.

IMG 6950

consider my cream cheese woes over–this soft, spreadable stuff trumps cream cheese every day of the week.

IMG 6951

i used the artichoke bruschetta and the goat cheese spread. for tonight’s dinner.

IMG 6963

we had paninis and soup! super (souper? hehe) simple. i used fresh baked sourdough bread for the sandwiches. i spread one side with the goat cheese and the other side with the bruschetta, then drizzled both sides with a balsamic glaze. i stuffed the sandwiches with tuscan turkey (soooo flavorful–found that at harmon’s, too) and sun dried tomatoes before pressing them into paninis.

IMG 6962

the soup was store bought. harmon’s hot bar. haha.. love harmon’s. i wasn’t too ambitious tonight, obviously. i had sausage vegetable and marshall had creamy tomato basil.

i can’t wait to try out my other fun finds!

in other weekend news…

i tried a new-to-me spot for brunch on saturday. i went to pig and a jelly jar with amanda and marshall. they have these adorable three-egg frittatas. i ordered “the frenchie” which had caramelized onions, mushrooms, and bacon. actually it had brie but i replaced the brie with bacon.. haha. SLC locals should check it out!

NewImage

i went and saw warm bodies last night. LOVED it. super good soundtrack and it was a cute zombie love story. check it out.

after the movies, i came home and watched another movie. we picked up wreck it ralph at costco (FYI, it’s on sale if you are into that.) cute movie!

today was the first of many sunday rundays. mandy and i went on an impromptu run because it was way nice out and we needed to stretch our legs. we made it a whopping 2.1 miles. better than nothing, right? haha.. we will try for three next week.

okay… off to do my least favorite chore. that laundry isn’t going to fold itself, unfortunately. have a good night!

1. what was your last fun food find?

2. springing forward for daylight savings time: love it or hate it? or do you not do it where you live?

kendra @ kennygump March 10, 2013 at 7:58 pm

i love browsing stores for fun finds. it’s not as occurring with 2 littles though. the vanilla bean paste sounds like a super fun baking find. i’d never heard of it. my last fav. find were whole wheat cinn raisin british muffins at tj’s. sooo good.

and springing forward? well, so far so good. the kids slept til after 8:30 today (7:30 – i guess) so that was fantastic!

momma b. March 10, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Man you sure know how to make this momma b hungry!! Your food finds look so delicious and that apple – wow!!

I was just at Ross too and saw all of that vanilla bean paste – now that I know you “collect” it I’ll be sure to snag it when I see it!

hmmm last fun food find…..I’m clearly stuck in a rutt on this one!

I don’t like the whole springing thing but I do like the daylight – like right now I want to go to bed but unfortunately my kitchen is not one of those “self cleaning” ones – rats!! It’s either that or folding clothes :-)

Love you!!

Nicole @ Fruit 'N' Fitness March 10, 2013 at 8:10 pm

I love humus, that flavor sounds interesting! I also have never seen that kind of toblerone, YUM! My last fun food find was roasted cocoa pumpkin seeds :)

Carly @ Snack Therapy March 10, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Impulse food buys are the BEST! I’ve never tried vanilla paste before… I love vanilla flavor, though, so I need to keep my eye out for it. Also, if you can believe it, I’ve never tried coconut butter! I can never bring myself to buy the ridiculously expensive jar.

Basically, I’m obsessed with all of the food in this post and I want it all.

Erica March 10, 2013 at 9:31 pm

I find it so odd that some places just decide not to participate in daylight savings time. I think that should have been 1 thing all states were either on board for or not. FUN finds. I agree- vanilla bean paste rocks. You make me want to go to our Tjs/Marshalls tomorrow to see if they have any. mmm to hummus. I just tried the coconut peanut butter. At first I LOVED It…now I think its just too sweet. I am a natural PB/AB girl all the way- no added sugar!

Lauren March 10, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Love that spreadable goat cheese! Good idea to use it as a sub for cream cheese. Never thought to spread it on a bagel but what a brilliant thought.

Lisa March 10, 2013 at 10:39 pm

I love fun food finds! That coconut butter is like a little sample of heaven. Seriously, I’m so obsessed with it, it’s a slight problem. I go through a big jar in a month, easily. Um yah, not so happy for my wallet, but I can’t help it.
That’s odd to me that some places don’t do the daylight savings. I don’t mind bouncing forward or backwards at all, as long as it’s just the hour! More than that and I’m a nut for days.

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance March 11, 2013 at 2:26 am

I need to try vanilla bean paste . . . it does sound like it would be way better than the extract. Last week, I made my own coconut butter!! And it worked so well, I’m posting about it today! It’s easy and way cheaper. :) Happy Monday!

katie March 11, 2013 at 3:43 am

LOVE finding fun food finds and good deals at places like Home Goods and TJ Maxx!

The hummus sounds awesome! I have seen that brand at whole foods out of state, but never at mine yet!

Sounds like you had a good weekend and I want to rent that movie! Might have to red box it or on demand it next weekend! <3

Angie @ Pint of Goals March 11, 2013 at 4:23 am

I will now keep an eye out for vanilla bean paste at our Marshall’s and T. J. Maxx.

Yesterday at the grocery store, my big find was Earth Balance creamy coconut and peanut spread; I was about to run out of the chunky, which was delicious, but I prefer creamy. I found it in hiding behind all the chunkies!

Ellen M. Gregg March 11, 2013 at 4:34 am

Vanilla bean paste is so superior to extract. I discovered it last year – through your site, maybe? – and am obsessed. In a good way. ;-)

That Opal apple looks remarkably like a Golden Delicious. Similar in flavor? GD is my second-favorite apple, after the almighty McIntosh. :-)

Lindsay's List March 11, 2013 at 5:17 am

hold up. wait a minute. you ran?? :)

MizFit March 11, 2013 at 5:32 am

there is nothing I LOOOVE more than springing forward :-)

Tracey March 11, 2013 at 6:05 am

I’m pinning that paninis! Where did you get the bread, and what kind is it? Oh, and did you make the soup? Please post all the yummy stuff you end up making with all these food finds:)

Tamara March 11, 2013 at 6:18 am

LOVE both of those movies!! Especially Warm Bodies. Such fun.

Your panini sounds amazing. I really want that artichoke bruschetta and the goat cheese spread! YUM.

Corey @ When We Wander March 11, 2013 at 6:20 am

So many good finds! I looooove goat cheese so that spread looks amazing. And I really need to branch out and try different hummous flavors!

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe March 11, 2013 at 6:23 am

That goat cheese spread is a staple at my house, I wish it came in a bigger container!

natalie@thesweetslife March 11, 2013 at 6:58 am

I need to check Marshalls for vanilla bean pasta! Smart of you to buy it all up :)

Cancan March 11, 2013 at 7:06 am

Opal apples are my absolute fave! I actually bought them myself thinking that they are golden delicious apples. They were amazing though much better than golden delicious in my opinion!. Enjoy.

Shaunna@mamas13minutemile.com March 11, 2013 at 7:29 am

Yay! I found coconut butter at TJ Max for $6 too! Jackpot!

Amanda March 11, 2013 at 7:54 am

Love vanilla bean paste!!!!!! I get mine from wegmans.

Fun fact about goat cheese: it’s lower in lactose and easier to digest than cow cheese : )

Janetha March 11, 2013 at 8:15 am

I know! That’s why I can eat it :)

Marty March 11, 2013 at 8:05 am

Toblerone … good to see that made an appearance outside of the holidays. That’s special any day of the year.

Meghan @ After the Ivy League March 11, 2013 at 9:07 am

I love going to Home Goods and/or TJ Maxx to browse their specialty foods! They always have the best/most unique stuff for soo much cheaper than regular grocery items. I’m gonna have to look out for that coconut butter!

sherice@foodieluvsfitness March 11, 2013 at 9:25 am

I’m with you on the browsing. haven’t had a fun food find lately :( I love having more daylight and I think the hours all even out, right!? so I try not to think about it to much! Sounds like you had a good weekend!

Meghan March 11, 2013 at 10:21 am

My favorite food find is Black Bean Pasta. It is gluten free and has 20grams of protein. http://www6.netrition.com/explore_asian_organic_black_bean_spaghetti.html

lindsay March 12, 2013 at 4:43 am

i love that pasta!

Melissa March 11, 2013 at 10:24 am

I love trying new apples. Never tried that type before.

LUNA makes some awesome bars. I am just sad that here in Texas, it’s almost impossible to keep them from melting 9 months out of the year

Linz @ Itz Linz March 11, 2013 at 10:40 am

coconut butter at half off?! that’s amazing!! esp artisana – i love that brand!! i love finding fun foodie stuff at tj maxx and marshalls – never seen anything that stellar at home goods – will have to check now!

Tycee March 11, 2013 at 10:40 am

Question for you about dairy…

I just found out I have an allergy to eggs (not as in I’m deathly allergic, just that my body doesn’t tolerate them well) and if I avoid them for 3 months, hopefully after that time I’ll be able to have them again. Crazy, I know…

When you say you avoid 95% of dairy, what does that constitute? Do you consider eggs dairy? Or are you just avoiding milk, cheese, cream, that sort of stuff? I’m just dying thinking about not eating eggs or using them in anything for the next 3 months…ugh! Any help would be awesome. Have a great day!

Janetha March 11, 2013 at 11:21 am

Eggs aren’t dairy.. I eat eggs still. I say 95% because there are some things that I eat that have a trace amount. Or sometimes I will say screw it and eat ice cream :)

Tycee March 11, 2013 at 12:17 pm

I probably sounded really dumb asking that question, huh? Ha, blame it on one hour less of sleep! ;)

So…my question for you then is any idea how to replace/supplement eggs from a diet?

Also, I’ve been thinking about eating less dairy. Where did you start with that and what do you do to replace things? Or do you just go without? Obviously you feel better without it, ie more energy, less headaches, less stomach aches? Sorry for all the questions, I’m just embarking on this new way of eating and feel completely lost!!!

Janetha March 11, 2013 at 12:51 pm

never apologize! :) soo.. i quit dairy cold turkey. i already used almond milk instead of cow’s, so that wasn’t an issue. i tried to replace cheeses with vegan cheese, but it’s just not the same. no way, no how. so now i go without. i add extra avocado to things like sandwiches and tacos and salads since i can’t have the cheese. the only other dairy thing i ate a lot of was ice cream, but i have found that nondairy ice cream is OK in a pinch. i also make a lot of ice cream consistency protein shakes with plant-based protein powder and almond milk to satisfy that craving. oh, and i miss greek yogurt. that’s irreplaceable! so i will have a greek yogurt every so often.

i eat a LOT of eggs, so it’s hard to say how to replace them.. hmm.. since they are mainly protein, i would say just add in more lean meats, plant-based protein powders, and vegan protein options like tempeh and tofu.

Nicole March 11, 2013 at 11:01 am

There are so many things I love about this post- let me list them:
1. Toblerone can do no wrong, and the almond one is no exception
2. Chocolate dipped Coconut Luna bars are in fact, the best flavor
3. Souper- literal lol
4. I love the term “Sunday Runday”

Anne @ eatcleaneatreal March 11, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Oh my gosh, I WANT THAT HUMMUS. It sounds amaaaaaazing.

And I really love the coconut butter! I often just splurge on a big jar ;)

My latest food find was roasted seaweed at costco. AMAZING!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning March 11, 2013 at 4:42 pm

I would like to own every single food item in this post! I always forget about looking at TJ Maxx/Homegoods, etc for food items.
I love that goat cheese- and I’ve been dying to try that hummus! I’ll have to wait until we move- can’t find it here!
And the Toblerone… just whoa.
I agree with Nicole above- the chocolate dipped coconut Lunas are above and beyond the best flavor.
And I dig coconut butter out with a knife and eat blocks of it. I broke a jar once by jabbing it too hard. Oops.

Karey @ Nutty About Health March 11, 2013 at 6:17 pm

I love fun foodie finds! That coconut butter is amazing… always have to have a jar of that stuff on hand, yum! :)

Cheri Z March 11, 2013 at 7:18 pm

My lastest food find wasn’t food, but a set of those tortilla bowl forms you use in the oven (yes, AS SEEN ON TV … I’m so ashamed). I thought, what the heck, the set I found was 4/$10. Not too big a risk. The shells turned out fine, and the family really liked the fat that they were crispy instead of greasy. Our taco salads were fab!

I love the extra daylight a bunch, but hate the changing thing. Why not just leave it this way year round? More light at night is grand.

Annette@FitnessPerks March 11, 2013 at 7:27 pm

That toblerone is SOOO good. But it’s swiss. so duh!

I love vanilla bean paste!!!

Allison @ Life's a Bowl March 11, 2013 at 7:42 pm

I just discovered World Market recently and LOVE it! So many unique and fun finds :D I’m not sure if it’s the time change or just my wonky sleep schedule, but the past 2 days have been off… Up past midnight and waking up before 5, oye!

Laura March 11, 2013 at 8:54 pm

My last impulse food buy was a turkey avacado sandwhich, because the description said it had pesto mayo. That pesto mayo (made in-house) is so.so.good! It is from a little local place in Holladay called Lettuce and Ladles. I think they make all their bread in-house too. I love their french bread!

I super dislike the springing forward part of daylight savings time!! I do love that it means the weather will be getting warmer though! ;)

I love it when you do restaurant reviews!

Kristina March 11, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Good call stocking up on the Vanilla Bean paste. I scored when I found my expensive Illy coffee at Marshalls one day. You better believe I bought everything they had!

Springing forward was rough this year. My husband had a 5 am wake up call for a race. I went with him to get my long run in while he raced, so I definitely felt the “4 am” wake up.

jessiker March 12, 2013 at 8:07 am

I LOVE THAT TOBLERONE. It’s damn good!

Julie March 17, 2013 at 12:15 am

Found the coconut butter at TJ Maxx! Thanks for the heads up!

cookie March 17, 2013 at 4:29 am

I once bought toblerone with some kind of milk filling – it was awesome. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find that for a while. Probably discontinued. Haven’t seen that variety over here.