chocolate coconut banana pancakes.

by Janetha on March 3, 2013

in recipes

sundays are meant for a few things.

sleeping in.

cuddling.

staying in sweatpants all day.

and pancakes.

IMG 7076

i took advantage of my lazy sunday morning to create these protein-packed, chocolaty coconut banana pancakes. i love being able to use my day off to spend time in the kitchen doing what i love.

NewImage

chocolate coconut banana protein pancakes
serves 1
prep time: 5 minutes, cook time: 5 minutes

ingredients:

• 1 scoop onnit hemp FORCE chocomaca protein powder (this is 1/3 serving since a serving is 3 scoops)
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 whole egg
  • 50g ripe to over-ripe banana, mashed (this is half of a medium banana)
  • 2 TB coconut flour
  • 3 TB almond milk
  • 1/2 tsp coconut extract
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
IMG 7046

directions:

1. whisk together all ingredients in a bowl.
  2. heat a griddle to 325* or a pan over medium-high heat. coat with cooking spray.
  3. pour batter into three pancakes on preheated cooking surface.
  4. cook each side for about 2 1/2 minutes.
  5. top with additional banana slices and coconut slices, if desired.
enjoy!
IMG 7089

while these pancakes are low in calories, the high protein and fiber content will keep you full for hours on end thanks to the key players: hemp force and coconut flour.
IMG 7061

here are the stats for the entire recipe (pre-toppings):

NutritionLabel 1

like i said, lots of protein and lots of fiber. lots of flavor, too! i love the hemp protein powder.. it’s delicious and nutritious! and it is the perfect ingredient for pancakes.

IMG 7066

Q~

what does sunday mean for you?

Melissa March 3, 2013 at 12:51 pm

I think I’ll try it with the Plant Fusion substitution… Yum!

Janetha March 3, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Make sure you add in some cocoa powder to it if you do that! Also, note that the consistency will change since PF is mainly pea protein and has a different texture than hemp protein :)

Lisa March 3, 2013 at 12:53 pm

So agree with you on Sunday’s being for lounging, sleeping in, sweatpants all day, and pancakes. My Sunday is just as productive:)
Oh man, banana and coconut is like the most magical combo, but adding in chocolate is even more so. Kind of excited for these. I wonder if a chia egg would work since I can’t have eggs. Hmmm. Happy Sunday:)

Erica March 3, 2013 at 1:22 pm

YUM! I adore banana and chocolate in pancakes! Since the baby (or I guess toddler is the correct term now)…sleeping in means 715 instead of 645 hehe. But Sundays usually mean some nice outdoor activities and getting ready for the week

Lee March 3, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Think it would be the same consistency with whey protein? Also, Sundays = sweatpants and grocery shopping, both of which make me happy.

Janetha March 3, 2013 at 3:24 pm

YES, grocery shopping, me too! I am going here in a minute. I think whey gets a little rubbery in pancakes.. but the coconut flour would offset that. Worth a shot!

melissa March 3, 2013 at 2:36 pm

the pancakes look delish!

Had this been a normal sunday, I would have attempted to try something like that to surprise Dan. Unfortunately this Sunday nmeant me trying to wean off of meds so I can drive myself to work tomorrow and him going to a friend’s mother’s funeral

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 3, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Sunday afternoons definitely always call for a nap!

Kim March 3, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Those look delicious!

The husband is out of town this weekend and I worked yesterday, so Sunday this week meant getting the hyper husky out for an adventure. Walked him in the bush for almost 2h with some friends and their dogs, then switched the winter boots for ski boots and skied 1.5h with him. He’s finally tired!

Now he is snoozing next to me on the couch while I meal plan before heading out for groceries.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 3, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Oh man, those look SO good!!!

Lauren March 3, 2013 at 3:51 pm

I couldn’t agree more! Sundays ARE for making pancakes, in fact, I did the same thing this morning. “Make you banana pancakes pretend like its the weekend.”

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables March 3, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Holy yum! I want to come to your house on Sundays!

Kristina March 3, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Chocolate+coconut+banana… you just said all of my favorite things! I’ll try these out next weekend, maybe with a little peanut butter in there :)

Sundays usually mean a long run and a nap. If anything productive gets done, it’s a bonus!

Janetha March 3, 2013 at 6:34 pm

I know.. I debated putting PB on top and peanut flour in the batter.. but that was just too long of a title haha

Linz @ Itz Linz March 3, 2013 at 4:29 pm

this sunday was a family brunch since it was my little brother’s last day in town and then grocery shopping, laundry, relaxing, & dinner with the in-laws!

the delicate place (@misathemeb) March 3, 2013 at 4:41 pm

oh this hemp protein caught my eye! i usually use manitoba harvest vanilla but it’s very ‘hemp-y’ tasting and i usually need a good bit of fruit to overcome that since it doesn’t use stevia.

those are great pancake stats! sundays are sleeping in + brunch days. speaking of which, i had an amazing drink at a mexican cantina today called the bloody maria (using blanco tequila instead of vodka) yum!

Janetha March 3, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Mmmm a bloody maria sounds good! This hemp protein is SO delicious.. no hempy flavor.

Spencer March 3, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Looks absolutely delicious! I could so go some right now!

Angie @ Pint of Goals March 3, 2013 at 5:18 pm

These look so good! I only have Plant Fusion vanilla, though, but I’ll have to give it a shot. I made pancakes last weekend and used the rest of the Kodiak cake mix.

Janetha March 3, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Love Kodiak cakes! If you use the Plant Fusion, add some cocoa powder to the recipe (1 TB).. let me know how it works!

Stephanie @ Wholesome By Design March 3, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Sunday means grocery shopping and meal prep for the upcoming week. But now I’m thinking about going back out to try and find that hemp protein. I used to use the Trader Joe’s hemp protein but wasn’t stoked on it. Obviously you recommend Hemp Force or else you wouldn’t mention it on your blog. How is the texture? Does it blend well? Is it bright green?

Janetha March 3, 2013 at 6:32 pm

It blends fabulously.. Marshall stirs it into his coffee, too. It’s brown (the flavor is chocolate-maca.)

Becky @TheBexFactor.com March 3, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Awesome, these sound yummy & Paleo friendly!!

Sundays are brunch with friends, grocery shopping, food prep for the week and cooking dinner with the bf

Tiffany @ Snack Snark Bark March 3, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Pinning to Pinterest right now.

Sundays are meant for being productive and waking up early! I slept in til 8am today then made breakfast went hiking and ran errands. Since I’m going to a late dinner tonight I made an executive decision that a two hour nap this afternoon would be a good idea, it was glorious.

tj March 3, 2013 at 6:11 pm

I love a lazy, cuddle filled Sunday….pancakes look good too! :)

Gianna March 3, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Sundays are always meant for long runs followed up by oodles of pancakes – and I cannot wait to try out this recipe. Sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing :)

Danielle @ Truffles n' Treadmills March 3, 2013 at 9:29 pm

No pancakes for me today but sleeping in, cuddling, and sweat pants all fit into my day!

Jan @ J Cooks Healthy March 4, 2013 at 2:46 am

Wow those pancakes look all kinds of good. I keep thinking on the weekends I need to make more of an effort with my breakfasts and I’m sure my bf would happily gobble up pancakes if I made them (and kept the fact that they were healthy quiet).

Sundays are definitely about prepping food and vegies for the week ahead at least later in the day. Usually I love to try and go out to brunch, relax and catch some sunshine but they always involve some kind of exercise.

Katie March 4, 2013 at 6:25 am

I made these for breakfast this morning & they were incredible! :) However my consistency was a little off which I’m sure had to do with my hemp powder because I used a different type… Could you let me know how many GRAMS are in one scoop of your powder? :)

Janetha March 4, 2013 at 8:54 am

13g (weight) and 5g of protein (not sure which grams you meant :)

Katie March 4, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Thank you so much! Both were very helpful :)

Susana March 4, 2013 at 6:58 am

Sundays have easily turned into my favorite day of the week. It’s the only day both my boyfriend Brian and I have off together. We sleep in a little, then I make us breakfast and we head to our Sunday ritual…catching a movie. Brian is a HUGE movie buff, and he has really gotten me to appreciate them as well. After the movie, we run a few errands, then head home to jump into sweats and cuddle on the couch. PERFECT day! Looking forward to trying these pancakes one Sunday soon!

Meghan @ After the Ivy League March 4, 2013 at 9:01 am

These pancakes look delicious! I need to pick up some coconut flour, I’ve been wanting to experiment with it for awhile now!

kristen @ livinlifeinlouie March 4, 2013 at 11:59 am

I can’t wait to make these this weekend! This past Sunday meant working :(

J March 4, 2013 at 2:43 pm

I’m from canada and want to order the plant fusion vanilla in a 2 lbs tub from vitacost (HOPING vitacost is cheapest place….dear god, the money !)…Anyway…noticed some differences in the one on the site and the one you use: thoughts ASAP ?? thanks:

Is this the right one? I have a ton of digestive issues and want to try the same one as you have…but let me know which is the right one on that vitacost site…I’m lost ..THANKS!!

also: recommendations for CHEAP l-glutamine powder (for GI repair) and probiotics? THANKS !!!!

Janetha March 4, 2013 at 3:51 pm

That looks like the one I use.. I don’t see any differences? I don’t use L-glutamine or probiotics.. but I know ReNew Life is a good brand, I have used them in the past. Just not at the moment!

J March 6, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Thnks, I just thought your linked product said “vanilla bean”….mine just says “vanilla” and mine has stuff like fructose, and other odd things…just wasnt’ sure about those I guess! How much is in one scoop of the PlantFusion? One scoop of the Lifetime basics (another type of powder) is 35 grams.

I hear tons of good stuff about Shakeology and just had 2 samples mailed to me..I’ll see how that goes…

I’m also curious about Sunwarrior Blend…

I need something for smoothies and terrified I will screw up with wrong one, which sucks :)

Nicole @ Fruit 'N' Fitness March 4, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Sunday mornings are normally for sleeping in and a big breakfast :) Sunday afternoons are for grocery shopping, cleaning and relaxing with my goldendoodle.