weekend wins & fails.

by Janetha on February 24, 2013

in random rambles,unfortunately

hello! happy sunday afternoon to you. i decided to take a moment from my regularly scheduled weekend to post some of my recent wins & fails. or, i guess i should say fails & wins.. since i’m kicking the post off with a fail.

Screen Shot 2013 02 24 at 12 18 46 PM

we went to the olive garden on friday night because we collectively had $130 in gift cards just waiting to be used. for some ridiculous reason, nikki and i thought the salmon sounded good. WTF who orders salmon at the olive garden?!  it was absolutely disgusting–dry, super fishy smelling (ew) and just.. bad. we did not eat it. approximately 341 people proceeded to ask us why we would order salmon at the olive garden, to which we had no good answer. oh well, at least we filled up on the delicious breadsticks & salad and had a good time hanging out together!

IMG 5520IMG 5517

Screen Shot 2013 02 24 at 12 18 35 PM

marshall and i went to the movies on saturday night and saw side effects (thanks to katie’s suggestion) and LOVED IT. such a good movie! go see it.

NewImage

Screen Shot 2013 02 24 at 12 18 35 PM

i went on an organizing and cleaning BENDER yesterday. five straight hours of cleaning! i even eliminated a janky shelf from above the laundry area and threw away/gave away a bunch of stuff i didn’t need. i am most proud of my food processor parts in the lulu bag hanging on the wall above the food processor (top left of the photo)–i love making optimal use of space. that’s also a TOMS bag hanging off the wall holding a bunch of candy bars. it’s the candy bag.

IMG 7096

oh! and i rearranged my dish cupboard so i could have more room and put my morning protein shake ingredients in there for easy access! now my favorite protein powders (plant fusion and hemp force) are right by the blender instead of across the kitchen. it’s all about convenience, folks.

IMG 7094

Screen Shot 2013 02 24 at 12 18 46 PM

i still have a MASSIVE pile of clean laundry to fold. MOST LOATHED CHORE EVER.

IMG 7100

Screen Shot 2013 02 24 at 12 18 46 PM

i did prisoner burpees yesterday and, sadly, ended up doing it about 30 seconds slower than i did back in may. i blame my lack of sleep.. but really, i just wasn’t trying hard enough. that’s ok, you can’t always set a PR! i’m just glad i made it to the gym at all.

Screen Shot 2013 02 24 at 12 18 35 PM

not working out at all today. HOORAY for sunday AKA day of rest. oh, and this toothpaste for dinner comic today is a total win, too. haha.

NewImage

Screen Shot 2013 02 24 at 12 18 46 PM

i tried to make up a new waffle recipe this morning. it seemed like a good sunday activity.

IMG 7071IMG 7076IMG 7082

i put my thinking cap on and tried a couple versions of this and that.. but after TWO complete and utter fails, i gave up.

IMG 7090

sometimes that happens when you have a recipe blog! (more than sometimes, actually.. recipe development can be a pain in the butt.)

Screen Shot 2013 02 24 at 12 18 35 PM

i ate cereal instead :)

IMG 7125

another win? mini banana sandwiches in my cereal. they’re easy to make.. just slather some peanut butter between a split banana and then slice it up!

IMG 7121

Screen Shot 2013 02 24 at 12 18 35 PM

this photo i got of rand man snoozing.

IMG 7101

Screen Shot 2013 02 24 at 12 18 46 PM

penny photobombing my initial attempt to get a shot of the long dog.

IMG 7104

just kidding, pen, you aren’t a fail. you are always a win in my book.

IMG 7107

Screen Shot 2013 02 24 at 12 53 47 PM

this one is up in the air.. i decided to try some coffee today to see if it hurts my belly. hopefully it ends up as a win, i miss coffee sooo much. fingers crossed it’s not a fail!

IMG 7110IMG 7114

now i am making a dinner meal plan and grocery list, checking it twice, then will head to the stores! anything to avoid that massive laundry pile.. ugh..

IMG 7091

enjoy the last little bit of your weekend! oh, and you still have time to enter the clif CRUNCH giveaway!

OHHH and please head over to diets in review to read my interview with them! it was fun!

your turn~

give me one WIN and one FAIL from your weekend!

Teri [a foodie stays fit] February 24, 2013 at 1:44 pm

win: my 5 mile run yesterday. it was the fastest 5 miler I’ve ever done!

fail: my garmin dying on today’s run.

<3 you!

Lisa February 24, 2013 at 1:44 pm

I’m really hoping you can tolerate the coffee! I think I’d be miserable without it. I guess you got to do what you got to do! I love the idea of adding in those little banana sandwiches! Kind of genius!
Man, recipe fails are the worst especially when you’re super excited about them. I swear it happens to me way often than not. Sometimes even when I follow a recipe they fail…
I can’t wait to see Side Effects now! I’m supposed to see it tomorrow, and I’m a little excited about it now.

Erica February 24, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Ew! Bummer about the salmon! And the waffle…so sad! I hate when waffles stick! Randyyyy! You are the cutest ever.
Win: Love my new Ellie pants
fail: I have to go clean up Frank’s poop right now

Pam February 24, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Win: Homemade granola (I used Killer Granola recipe from Shutterbean.com) and really good blackberry greek yogourt.
Fail: Did not yet practice guitar once this weekend (I’m taking lessons and should be practicing!!)

PS – Love your curled hair in the first couple of pictures
PPS – I’m surprised to see you loved Side Effects, I saw it a couple weeks ago and did not love it at all. Glad you enjoyed it though!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance February 24, 2013 at 2:38 pm

I have a major win to share!!! I took my last test at IIN yesterday, and am officially a Certified Health Coach!! I’m so thrilled, I’ve been telling everyone. Fail: I’m not caught up with my lesson planning for the classes I teach this week. Eek.

RainStorm February 24, 2013 at 2:52 pm

FAIL – my train journey today should have been straightforward but ended up an hour too long and involving a bus replacement service. With lots of heavy bags.

WIN – yummy beef stir fry and egg fried rice dinner :)

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning February 24, 2013 at 3:24 pm

I made an awesome pizza crust on Friday night using a combination of recipes (including your cauliflower crust) and it was delicious and a total WIN.
The FAIL was that I used “Teese” vegan cheese on top, which tasted like dog sh*t and I ended up peeling it off. But that turned into a “WIN” because I used those “cheese calories” to drink more beer. :)

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles February 24, 2013 at 3:58 pm

FAIL – my best friend was going to make the drive up to visit me Saturday night, but car trouble meant it was a no-go.

WIN – I brought home froyo last night and put it in the freezer for about an hour and a half. Made my froyo even better because it wasn’t half-melted like it usually is.

Erika February 24, 2013 at 4:07 pm

OMG I LOVED Side Effects! How crazy was that twist?! I knew “that person” was in on the whole thing somehow!!! nuts!

Cheri Z February 24, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Win: 6 loads of laundry washed, dried, and folded (I totally feel the same as you do about folding laundry), grocery shopping done, and taxes nearly done.

Fail: My mom wanted to go out to Perkins for her birthday. You shouldn’t argue with your mom, right? You do what they want. The service was lousy, the food was tasteless and cold, and the area our table was in was freezing. Not much of a birthday lunch. I will NEVER go back there again.

I’m hoping the coffee experiment is successful. I know how much you’ve missed it. <3

Janetha February 24, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Ugh it is the worst paying for crappy food and crappy service. I’m sorry!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 24, 2013 at 5:45 pm

FAIL – I set out to run errands this morning, got what I needed at Target and Trader Joes but the Vitamin Shoppe wasn’t open for another hour so I couldn’t get more vitamins. Bummer.

WIN – Running 6 miles yesterday, making delicious baked tofu on Friday, getting myself to actually do yoga today, relaxing…it’s been a pretty “WIN” weekend. :)

I hope you get to call coffee a win – I know how hard it is to go without. It’s so tasty!

Janetha February 24, 2013 at 7:45 pm

I went to Target and TJs today, too! And Whole Foods.

Bear Still Suck February 24, 2013 at 6:09 pm

You could have told the waiter that you didn’t like the salmon and they would have brought you something else. I have done that before. My win this weekend was trying a New Mexican restaurant with a $25 dollar restaurant.com certificate and absolutely loving the food. My fail is right now because I’m stuck at work til midnight and I’m missing the oscars.

Janetha February 24, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Actually they noticed that we didn’t eat the salmon and took it off the bill! We didn’t want to complain–I HATE complaining (I was a waitress once) so we just ate the side dish and salad and bread.. but then when they brought the bill it wasn’t on there. They were super nice about it!

Anne @ eatcleaneatreal February 24, 2013 at 6:56 pm

My weekend fail was spending WAY TOO MUCH money on groceries. Ooooops. My WIN was cooking some awesome food. Tonight’s dinner was rosemary turkey burgers, kale chips with fresh parmesean cheese, and sweet potatoes roasted with coconut oil. AMAAAAZING.

Janetha February 24, 2013 at 7:44 pm

WOW.. that all sounds incredible! And I think spending too much on groceries is a win ;)

Sara February 24, 2013 at 8:52 pm

I know I told you this on Instagram, but your curly hair is a total win, too!! It’s so pretty. As a curly head, I am often envious of straight hair, but I’m totally in awe of your perfect scrunch. Randy is also a huge win just for being a basset.

Janetha February 24, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Thank you! Sadly it only stays like that for 2.2 seconds because my hair is SO stick straight that it won’t hold a curl! I have tried so many products and different irons, but it never stays for long. This was with a curling wand, which holds it for a few hours.. a curling iron? No dice. I get envious of curls all the time!

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome February 24, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Bummer on the fails, especially the salmon. Sounds horrible! One win from this weekend was a the coconut apricot “LARABAR’s” I made and one fail was a new Kombucha flavor I tried. It was okay, Hibiscus, but not my favorite.

Tiffany @ Snack Snark Bark February 24, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Love this post! Girl, my closet is like that every weekend. I empty the clean clothes from my basket, say I’m going to put them away, put them on my bed to ensure I do, then throw them on the floor on my closet and repeat the next day.

Do you have a good waffle recipe? My sister got me a waffle maker for Xmas and it’s still in the box. Using it on a day like today where it was nothing but snow would have been perfect but alas, no waffle recipe that I trust.

One last question–who order salmon at Olive Garden??

Trisha February 24, 2013 at 9:37 pm

I had a pile of laundry just like that. And when I woke up yesterday, my husband had it all folded.#keeper

Lili February 24, 2013 at 11:59 pm

Love ur hair.. And we all fail sometime.. Oh attempted to make ur Mexican bowl ( think that’s what it’s called) used Brown rice and too much Greek yogourt ); .. But it’s ok I know what to fix next time.

Jena February 25, 2013 at 4:51 am

As a dog mom of two – if I left my clean clothes on the floor like that they’d be COVERED in dog hair! How do you keep them clean? Do the pups stay out of that room? Even if I drop my dirty clothes on the floor and don’t pick them up till morning I have to shake them out before I wash them! Maybe I should sweep more? LOL

Janetha February 25, 2013 at 7:17 am

I keep that door closed, but it really doesn’t matter because once I put the clothes ON, they get furry. Between hugs and lifting them in and out if the car for daycare, I can’t avoid getting covered every day. Plus one dog us white and the other black, so I’m screwed no matter what color I’m wearing haha!

Meghan @ After the Ivy League February 25, 2013 at 7:13 am

I totally want to see Side Effects, love the actors/actresses in that movie. Cleaning benders on the weekend always feel so great after! Nothing better than a nice clean house on a Monday to start the work week. And salmon at Olive Garden? haha, yea I wouldn’t have eaten it either!

Jessica @ Blog-Inspired Cooking February 25, 2013 at 7:57 am

WIN: Having a good time at the indoor waterpark in Wisconsin Dells with our toddler son.

FAIL: Having to deal with a crying toddler son who didn’t want to leave the waterpark. Makes you feel like a bad parent, but I truly have no idea how you would ever get a kid to leave the waterpark without lying.

Laura @ RunningJunkie123 February 25, 2013 at 8:16 am

FAIL: No running due to a stress fracture, especially when it’s beautiful weather like yesterday.

WIN: EVERYTHING ELSE. haha. The food, the company, the strength workouts. It was a great weekend.

Katie February 25, 2013 at 8:21 am

So glad you loved Side Effects! Seriously best movie I’ve seen in a LONG time… and I watch way too many movies. I’m going to bring a photo of Rooney Mara’s look in it to my stylist… I love her hair!

I had a very frustrating pancake fail last week. Have you tried the egg + banana cake that everyone is all about? I just couldn’t flip the damn things. French toast, however, has been a major win… made ’em twice!

Janetha February 25, 2013 at 8:48 am

Yeah I had the SAME issue with that! It fell apart! Oh well, FT is better anyway :)

Jess February 25, 2013 at 8:58 am

Dear Janetha’s hair,

I’m seriously in love with you in those first two photos. You are the picture of perfect waves/curls. How does your human get you to look so gorg?

Yours truly,

Jess

Janetha February 25, 2013 at 9:10 am

Oh my gosh, you are such a doll! Thank you for the letter, haha. I never curl my hair because it falls out in 2.2 seconds, but it is fun while it lasts!

Shayla B. February 25, 2013 at 9:24 am

Win: Making my daughter’s birthday a SLAMMING success!

Fail: Falling at Step class and rolling my ankle. Ouch!

Nicole C February 25, 2013 at 9:56 am

Win: I didn’t have a damn thing to do this weekend! (and folding all my laundry!) ;)

Fail: Renting ‘Fun Size’ from Redbox, it sucked. As soon as it started and said it was a nickeldeon movie I wanted to slap Ben for agreeing with me to rent it. Oh and that bit about not having anything to do led to waaay to much sleeping/napping..hardly got anything done.

Calee February 25, 2013 at 10:00 am

ewwww. fishy salmon. gross. at least you had a good excuse to eat all those breadsticks. ;)

PS cute curly hair. I don’t think I’ve ever seen your hair curly, and I’ve been reading forever.

Janetha February 25, 2013 at 11:42 am

I don’t curl it often because it falls out so quickly!

kristen @ livinlifeinlouie February 25, 2013 at 10:09 am

FAIL: lack of sleep this weekend WIN: getting a ten minute workout in on sunday because I knew I would be gone 8am-8pm!

Annette@FitnessPerks February 25, 2013 at 12:16 pm

THose are some awesome wins & fails! I have to say, I would never order salmon at olive garden…but that’s b/c I dislike that place, The only thing i’d ever eat there is the breadsticks & maybe the lemonade. I am weird.

WIN: lots of snow to play in up at the mtn house!
FAIL: did NOT get enough sleep last night. UGH

Janetha February 25, 2013 at 12:47 pm

I really don’t like it either! We seriously had the gift cards for two years before finally using them, haha.

Sami February 25, 2013 at 1:16 pm

ahem. i have a “WIN” to add : in series number one… you may have not gotten any delicious salmon at olive garden, but your hair looks awesome! love those curls! xo.

Allison @ Life's a Bowl February 25, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Haha I’ve had too many pancake and waffle fails to count buttt as my hubby says “it all goes down the same way!” aka just crumble it all up into a bowl ;) Fail this weekend: severe abdominal pain. Win this weekend: 10-mile run!

Presley @ Run Pretty February 25, 2013 at 6:17 pm

My husband does the laundry, because he says I can’t do it correctly. Oh, okay. I guess I’ll pretend to be upset out it. :)

You can’t always PR <- so true!

kimberlybowsher@gmail.com February 26, 2013 at 10:56 am

I love that method cleaner – I switch back and forth between the lavender one and the grapefruit one for summer. I read an article about the “need for a anti-bacterial” and that was what spurred our switch to the method brand. Here it is in case your interested… http://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipment/overview.asp?docid=36059

Janetha February 26, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Cool, thanks for the link!