tuesday tidbits.

by Janetha on February 19, 2013

in random rambles

happy tuesday! hope you had a great day. here are a few tidbits from mine…

i ate at a new-to-me delicious vietnamese restaurant for lunch.

if you live in or around the SLC, try shanghai cafe! it’s so delicious! it has tons of vegetarian and vegan options, too, if that’s your thing. i shared tofu wontons with my friend and had the almond chicken as my entree. i also stole a few bites of her faux chicken chow mein. mmm.. it was good. totally getting that dish next time. mine was super good, too.

IMG 5419IMG 5421IMG 5420

i love mail and got two fun things today.

first of all, reader rachel sent me the most thoughtful care package today!

IMG 5426

my favorite peanut butter that i can’t find ANYWHERE, plus salsa to fuel my addiction and a couple of bones for the kids. so sweet! thank you, rachel!

i also got a special shipment from chobani that included their two newest flavors: pear and banana! i added the flavors to our drawer in the fridge that is dedicated solely to chobani. we love it in our house!

IMG 5433IMG 5432

speaking of mail.. this stuff randomly showed up at my house from amazon.com and i did NOT order it. it was addressed to me using my maiden name. i am confused as to why i received it or where it came from. spooky! i am kinda weirded out!

IMG 5429

i am going to two comedy shows next month.

YAY for seeing comedians! we bought tickets to anjelah johnson and to adam carolla + dr. drew. if you haven’t heard anjelah’s bit on nail salons you are missing out. and i LOVE adam’s podcasts that marshall introduced me to.

Screen Shot 2013 02 19 at 7 22 36 PMScreen Shot 2013 02 19 at 7 22 47 PM

penny and randy attended a birthday party at daycare.

seriously these pups get SO spoiled.. not only do they get their own birthday parties, they get to attend their friends’ parties!

NewImageNewImage
photos courtesy desert dog daycare.

this is the best $1.99 you will ever spend on a snack.

enough said.

IMG 5427

i discovered my most-hated-exercise-ever today.

OH MY GOSH.. i hate, hate, hate single leg barbell deadlifts AHAP. hate! melissa and i seriously struggled with these today. it wasn’t the movement itself or lifting the weight–it was the coordination and the grip required to actually lift such an awkwardly sized weight with one hand. i couldn’t balance the bar for the life of me, which limited how heavy i could go. definitely something to work on–it was a different kind of hard today and that’s always good!

IMG 5436IMG 5438
IMG 5439IMG 5442

ugh. hope those don’t come around again soon. or ever.

i kinda like this guy.

he cooks. he cleans.

IMG 5450IMG 5448

he makes me dinner and serves it with presentation of a pro. love the alternating cauliflower and broccoli!

IMG 5451

he’s a keeper! dinner was so perfect! steamed cauliflower, broccoli, and spaghetti squash topped with italian sausage marinara and four slices of alexia garlic bread. it’s totally OK to have the majority of your dinner calories come from garlic bread. i always forgo noodles to make room for more bread. i could eat loaf after loaf (just ask my friend jessica, i used to eat 7 pieces of toast at a time when we lived together…)

marshall picked up the latest season of game of thrones.

guess my plans for the next few nights are made for me! so much for folding all that laundry…

NewImage

thought catalog has been real good lately.

those are all my tidbits for tonight! i am off to watch game of thrones then call it a night in hopes to fend off any sickness that may be coming my way. i’ve had a hint of a sore throat all day and my head has been aching.. sickness be damned.

1. what is your most hated exercise move?

2. what is the last thing you received in the mail?

3. do you have a favorite comedian? who?

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles February 19, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Most hated exercise – stepups. absolutely loathe. And lunges are pretty high up there too (but squats and deadlifts are my favourites…apparently, I’m picky about my lower body exercises).

You will love GoT! I’m obsessed, both with the books and the tv show.

Tess @ Cross Country Cajun February 19, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Most hated exercise are pulsing lunches on the vibration machine. The shaking plus the pulsing makes your legs burn from 5 seconds in. I love those roasted coconut chips. They are my new favorite snack. I just found them at Trader Joe’s this weekend and am so sad I only bought I bag. I wonder if they sell them by the case ;)

Nicole @ Fruit 'N' Fitness February 19, 2013 at 9:02 pm

What a fun day of packages! Except I would be kind of weirded out with the maiden name one you did not order, thats soo odd! Maple Peanut butter is my favorite, and it’s no where around here either. I love that R and P get to attend puppy birthday parties!

Tonya Bentley February 19, 2013 at 9:17 pm

I love, love, love Shanghi cafe. Their egg rolls are amazing. I get their bun salad & egg rolls. Tasty & cheap, can’t beat that. I work downtown Salt Lake so I go for lunch. Reading your blog now I’m craving it & may have to go this week.
I really enjoy following your blog as well.

Janetha February 20, 2013 at 10:16 am

I love how cheap it was! I will have to try the bun salad, sounds good. Thanks for reading!

Sarah February 19, 2013 at 9:39 pm

We saw Seth Meyers two weeks ago. So dang funny. I’ve banned those coconut chips from my house…

Erica February 19, 2013 at 11:34 pm

Those tofu wontons look amazing! Yayy for Chobani. The banana is incredible. The doggy birthday party- melt! So cute!

1. what is your most hated exercise move? hmmmmmm…..really anything shoulder related

2. what is the last thing you received in the mail? My new release for pump/step/attack

3. do you have a favorite comedian? who? I love Tosh.

Julie February 20, 2013 at 12:27 am

I need to try those coconut chips!

My most hated exercise are… mountain climbers. Guess that’s not quite a move though.

Last thing I received was also peanut butter. Vermont Peanut Butter to be exact.

Janetha February 20, 2013 at 10:12 am

That’s totally a move! I hate them, too

Michelle February 20, 2013 at 12:54 am

Oh I LOVE Shanghai Cafe! Even though they have so many choices on their menu, I always get the same thing. (Ok, things.) When I’m getting sick, I’ll call in my usual order, and pick it up on my way home. I get the wonton noodle soup, which comes with sliced jalapenos on the side, that you can add if you want, which is perfect for when you’re sick. It makes the broth extra warm. And then I get the vietnamese fried egg roll salad. The fried egg roll isn’t so healthy, but it’s sooooo good. And the rest of the salad is healthy, so it all balances out. Oh, and then the spring rolls with peanut dipping sauce rounds out my order. This way I have leftovers for lunch and dinner the next day and don’t have to cook when I’m sick. Speaking of sick, I hope you feel better tomorrow. If not, you might have to go get the wonton noodle soup tomorrow….

Janetha February 20, 2013 at 10:11 am

I am so glad you left this comment! The menu was so massive that I didn’t know what to order! Now I know, and I am going to take your recommendations and go again soon! Thanks :)

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance February 20, 2013 at 3:20 am

I sampled those coconut chips at TJ’s last week . . . omg–they were sooooo good!

katie February 20, 2013 at 4:28 am

SO funny about the random package, but I have to say juice beauty rocks!

Mike loves game of thrones too, he is trying to get me into it, but I just am not into that kind of stuff. We will see ;)

Happy Wednesday love!

Sarah (The Simple Dietitian) February 20, 2013 at 4:30 am

My most hated exercise is anything ab-related!! It’s something I’m continuously working on strengthening but I hate, hate, hate ab exercises (if you know of any FUN or semi-FUN ones, let me know! :D )

Also. That picture of the pups? Priceless. :D

Janetha February 20, 2013 at 10:10 am

I love anything with the medicine ball because it feels like a game! If you have a partner (your dad or sis, maybe?!) this one is SO fun: http://gppfit.squarespace.com/home/2012/11/28/team-abbit.html

Sarah (The Simple Dietitian) February 20, 2013 at 5:44 pm

THANK you! This is such a great idea…and it actually does sound like fun. I’ll be trying this next week! :D

Rebecca February 20, 2013 at 4:36 am

I hate ALL deadlifts, i still do them but they are deffinatly NOT my fav!
I just ordered food form the gluten-free mall but was totally dissapointed with a few of the products I got :(

Janetha February 20, 2013 at 10:09 am

ughhh hate that, especially because i bet it was pricey stuff.

lindsay February 20, 2013 at 5:16 am

oh got a similar package today too! and i love that you have a chobani drawer! James loves the pear. And he’s so similar to marshall, cooks, cleans, is such a cutie.
p.s.
Is it blend yet?

Janetha February 20, 2013 at 10:09 am

marshall’s fave is the pear, too! and less than 3 months now! YAY

Liz @ The Shrinking Owl February 20, 2013 at 6:22 am

My most hated exercise is anything that involves getting on my knees (that’s what she said?). Owwwwwww.

Last thing I got in the mail were my new checks! Owls, of course.

Favorite comedian: a toss-up between Lewis Black and David Cross. I love their cynical view and dark humor!

Janetha February 20, 2013 at 10:08 am

ba dop ba ching! (to your joke, hehe)

kendra February 20, 2013 at 6:35 am

Shoulder press. Snowboarding injury made my left shoulder loose. I hate how unstable it feels when I press over head.

I got a whole pile of books from Amazon yesterday.

Patton Oswalt. I’ve listened to his comedy albums over and over and over for years, they’re released on Subpop.

Kaitlyn February 20, 2013 at 6:57 am

That Alexia bread is ridic! I try not buying it because it goes way too fast in this house. It’s been on sale lately so it’s hard to say no.

Janetha February 20, 2013 at 10:08 am

Tell me about it! I see it on sale and thing, “Might as well!” and throw 3 packages into my cart. It’s so hard since they are a frozen item and never go bad… mmm.. so good.

Linz @ Itz Linz February 20, 2013 at 7:03 am

bulgarian split squats – hate em!!

Janetha February 20, 2013 at 10:07 am

ohhh i will do them for you! those are one of my faves!!

Mary February 20, 2013 at 7:42 am

the banana chobani is amazing! i even took out some of the fruit filling (it has so much sugar haha) and it still tasted amazing. i mixed it with MRM vanilla whey protein and threw in a few almonds. so good!!

Janetha February 20, 2013 at 10:07 am

I love mixing PP with yogurt! I also love to mix a little plain chobani in with the flavored to make 2 servings and cut the sugar down a bit.

Mary February 20, 2013 at 10:15 am

ooo great idea!!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning February 20, 2013 at 8:06 am

You’re going to see Adam and Dr. Drew!?!? WHOA! When I was in high school, I fell asleep EVERY NIGHT listening to Love Lines on the radio. This was before it ever became a tv show (I’m showing my age here!). That will be SO cool!
I used to go see comedy shows at the Improv in DC all the time. Once I went to see Dave Attell (remember his show?) and then my friend and I hung out with him all night afterwards and went to a strip club. I certainly have a collection of wild stories from my early 20s. :)
Right now I am DYING to see Aziz Ansari. I think the last comedian I saw was Kathy Griffin. She was hilarious!
I bought those coconut chips. HOLY CRAP they are good!
Most hated exercise? Hmm. I’m going to go real basic here and say push-ups. Especially when I have to do 36 of them in a row while teaching Bodypump and trying to yell out encouraging things and smile at the same time.

Janetha February 20, 2013 at 10:06 am

Haha don’t worry, I remember LL on the radio, too. You should listen to Adam’s podcasts.. they are amazing. I hate pushups too!

Meghan @ After the Ivy League February 20, 2013 at 8:18 am

OMG I love Thought Catalog and just clicked on all those links. Can’t wait to get lost in those articles. Also, you have a Chobani drawer?? Amazing! This is why I need my own place (with no roommates). I need a Chobani drawer.

Janetha February 20, 2013 at 10:03 am

I used to live with 4 other girls.. it sucked! Having my own fridge is better than having my own shower!

Stephanie @ Wholesome By Design February 20, 2013 at 8:25 am

I LOOOOOVE those coconut chips. I make my own when those go out of stock (which is often). Just take some raw coconut flakes, spread on a cookie sheet, sprinkle with cinnamon and salt (or sugar, if that’s your thing), lightly toast until they turn golden brown, enjoy! This also works if you are one of those unfortunate people who don’t have a Trader Joe’s near by.

Janetha February 20, 2013 at 10:03 am

I used to do that often with the unsweetened shreds from whole foods. Sometimes they’d go on sale for $2.50 for a big bag–such a bargain!

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige February 20, 2013 at 8:43 am

Whoa, weeeeird about the Amazon package. Hopefully it was just some blog-related thing. Or maybe an Amazing mess up. Or maybe a secret admirer?! Who likes Juice Beauty? lol
LOVE the doggy day care party pics. always.

Janetha February 20, 2013 at 10:02 am

Turns out it was Lindsay, haha!

Linda February 20, 2013 at 9:09 am

I just bought those roasted coconut chips. Good to know they are good.

the delicate place February 20, 2013 at 9:29 am

i used to use juice beauty face wash and the green apple mask but over time it became too strong for me (i have combo skin) so i needed something even more gentle!
i love those roasted coconut chips too! my most hated exercise is usually something upper body related OR pistol squats. i can only go halfway down or i lose my balance, i loathe them!

nate really wants to watch game of thrones with me…is it any good? last thing i received in the mail was a sweater from gilt! fave comedian…hmm probably daniel tosh or martin starr

Janetha February 20, 2013 at 10:02 am

I have never heard of the stuff but apparently I own it now, lol. I love Tosh! Oh, and YES to Game of Thrones!

Emily @ Adventures of a Dog Mom February 20, 2013 at 9:36 am

Most hated exercise: running, I can’t do it without triggering an asthma attack.

Last thing in the mail: the latest game of thrones dvds

Favorite comedian: that’s really hard, I love Margaret Cho and Eddie Izzard, I can’t choose!

By the way your Chobani drawer resembles the Chobani shelf in our fridge, my hubby loves the stuff (pineapple might be his fav.)

Nicole C February 20, 2013 at 9:48 am

The most hated exercise move for me would be the dive bombers in the Fitmixer workouts. I got tired of falling on my face.

Last thing I received in the mail, I wish I could say a part for my new tool shed but it hasn’t arrived :/ I honestly can’t remember..

Favorite comedians, I’d have to put Eden on my list, Josh Blue and Kevin Hart.

Christie February 20, 2013 at 9:56 am

DR DREW?!?!? I LOVE him, kinda obsessed! I am off to search and see if him and Carrola are coming to a town near me!

Amanda @ Romancing the Unusual February 20, 2013 at 10:26 am

I think I love allll comedians! George Carlin is probably my all time favorite. I’m also loving Iliza Schlesinger right now. She’s hilarious!

Annette@FitnessPerks February 20, 2013 at 11:07 am

That food looks AMAZING!!!! I want to go there.

I think Brian Regan is my all-time fav comedian.

And most hated exercise….hmmm? I like burpees cause they work & they’re hard, but I kind of hate them too. Hah. Oh, and I don’t love bicep curls–b/c they’re HARD for me!

Shari February 20, 2013 at 12:10 pm

I do not like single leg barbell squats (step-ups are a really close second). Not very coordinated so I find it hard to stay stable. I have to use dumbells cause I would fall over if I had to try and balance a barbell on my shoulders.

emily (a nutritionist eats) February 20, 2013 at 1:39 pm

I love getting mail!! (I guess everyone does!) Latest package was some Visalus protein powder!

Jennyb February 20, 2013 at 3:31 pm

most hated moves are bow pose in body balance. I have useless lower back muscles. In body pump its triceps – no matter what kind of move its another muscle that i just can’t seem to improve. I used to hate plyometric lunges in Body Attack but i actually find them ok now. And for Body Step it has to be the power knees – and they are in every release so i can never escape them!

Last thing i got in the mail – a valentines card from my nan :)

Cheri Z February 20, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Oh my heck! We got the coconut chips when we were in SLC two weeks ago. WHY did I only buy one bag? Idiot! My daughter is over the moon for them. Next trip to SLC I’ll be hitting Trader Joe’s and asking, “Can you just put a case in my car?” Of course, Bailee loved it so much there I may need to bring a U Haul for groceries!

Least favorite exercise move – burbees
Last thing in the mail – jammies
Fave comedian – Bill Cosby (he’s like comfort food)

melissa February 20, 2013 at 6:34 pm

OMG. I am SO jealous. I LOVE Adam. I listen to him while I am working out. I was a fan back in college when he did Loveline and Man show and then I forgot about him. Then Dan got me hooked on his podcast, I love it. It’s scary how sometimes Adam seems to be reading my thoughts with his rants, lol

BroccoliHut February 20, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Great post!
My least favorite exercise has to be push-ups. I just suck at them, and nobody likes to do things they’re not good at, right? Right.
The last thing I received in the mail was two cans of protein powder (BioChem Vegan) that I ordered. A girl’s gotta have protein pancakes!
My favorite comedian is Jim Gaffigan–probably because he mostly talks about food! Ha!

Tiffany @ Snack Snark Bark February 24, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Yet another reason why I need Trader Joe’s to get here stat!

Also, I can’t handle Randy and Penny going to doggie birthday parties, that is just too much! Too much cuteness that is. The pups, the treats, the leis!!!!

Anjelah Johnson rocks, I can’t wait to hear about her show. I listen to her on my walks and love the nail salon bit and the one about her knife named kindness.