rad or ridiculous? you decide.

by Janetha on February 8, 2013

in humor

hey! i am back! i hope you all enjoyed the fabulous guest posts that were published here while i was away. thanks to all those who helped me out while i was gone!

i have plenty of photos and stories to tell you about my time in the dominican republic, but i am suuuper busy playing catch up, so i really don’t have a spare minute to devote to a trip recap right now. however, i do have some time for a little friday fun! there is always time for that, right?

every time i take a plane to a far off land (or maybe a not-so-far-off one) i love to flip through the pages of sky mall.

R OR R 001

i am always amazed by the latest and greatest items for sale in this mag. and, as i have done in the past, i love to hear your opinion on these items. so, without further ado, it’s time for another round of rad or ridiculous.

the dog bed with matching monogrammed pillow.
retail: $129.95 + $25.50 for pillow.

R OR R 002

giant star wars talking plush.
chewbacca or darth vader, $99.99 each.

R OR R 004

isometric resistance upper body strengthener.
batteries not included, $79.95.

R OR R 008

helmet to cure a bald head.
only $695!

R OR R 017

posture corrector.
available in XS-XL, $38.99

R OR R 015

the no-workout trainer for a hot bod.
ab transformer: $99.99, women’s buttocks lifter: $99.99, arms & legs toner: $49.99. sold separately.

R OR R 014

not to worry! i found what was on inventor’s corner.. we get a FIRST LOOK at life’s newest solutions!

suction cup umbrella holder.
two for $19.99.

R OR R 011

say goodbye to cellulite.
only a cool $1,500.

R OR R 010

backpack vacuum—because that regular one is so inconvenient.
$199.95

R OR R 009

can’t wait to see your answers!

1. have you ever purchased something from sky mall or an infomercial?

2. what was the last ridiculous item you saw for sale?

natalie @ will jog for food February 8, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Love skymall, because all of it’s ridiculous! hehe

Can’t wait to hear about your trip to the Dominican! Hope you tried some mamajuana ;)

Erica February 8, 2013 at 6:05 pm

ohmygosh I love this post!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 8, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Love this post!! I always love seeing the crazy things in SkyMall. Definitely a fun aspect of traveling.

Mollie K February 8, 2013 at 6:16 pm

I’m seriously laughing out loud!!! The umbrella thing is hilarious and RAD!!! Imagine seeing people walking around with those. And I love your comment for the vacuum backpack!!! haha

Megan February 8, 2013 at 6:18 pm

I’m torn on the backpack vacuum. On one hand it’s totally unnecessary to be able to carry your vacuum on your back. On the other, it lets you feel like a Ghostbuster. I think I have to vote rad.

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance February 8, 2013 at 7:20 pm

I love flipping through the skymall magazine–so many crazy products–I have never purchased anything though. But now I’m curious . . . have you?!? :)

Jenna February 8, 2013 at 7:34 pm

“It’s like having a gentleman handy to keep you dry”

Haha. Hilarious. Skymall takes care of a good 30-40 minutes on a long plane ride…. Quality reading.

Debbie @ Healthy Running Mom February 9, 2013 at 4:41 am

I love Skymall. Think it’s so much fun to browse through that magazine. Every once in a while, there is really somehting neat & realistic in there. However, nope, I’ve never made a purchase :)

lindsay February 9, 2013 at 5:13 am

these always crack me up. although i do wish i had half of them, just for fun!

welcome home

Linz @ Itz Linz February 9, 2013 at 6:01 am

haha! all of the “fitness” ones are dumb in my opinion :) the dog bed however… i voted rad! :)

kendra February 9, 2013 at 7:05 am

Welcome back :)

I actually sat up straight when I saw the posture corrector ad but 40$ when you could pull your t-shirt over your head?

In the early 90′s (?) after I saw an Ab-roller commercial I convinced my Dad to buy it. Now they say of all the ab exercises it’s the most inefficient.

– I’m already slouching again–

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige February 9, 2013 at 7:40 am

Because WHO doesn’t need a gentleman handy to keep them dry?!
…bahaha

the delicate place (@misathemeb) February 9, 2013 at 7:55 am

hey welcome back! the skymall is absurd and i only read it for entertainment purposes ha ;) i havent been shopping other than the grocery store in like 2 mos so i cant remember. i used to have a ghost busters pack that eerily resembles that vacuum cleaner lol

Bria @ West of Persia and Yoga With Bria February 9, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Welcome back! Ummm, I’m kinda curious about that posture corrector. Of course ;-)

Nicole @ Fruit 'N' Fitness February 9, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Haha that umbrella holder has me laughing out loud! I love the dog bed, but Bentley has 3 and would much rather sleep on the couch or his (i like to think its mine) bed. I hope you had an awesome vaca, hoping you will post some beautiful island pictures :)

Heather February 10, 2013 at 4:33 pm

I LOVE the Chewbaca head (totally rad) but thought the Darth was ridiculous … hahaha … true story.
I love skymall. And I have bought from it before (via hammcher schlemmer). I bought the huge body pillow – and it was the BEST thing I have ever bought!!!

I’m not advertising for them, just love it and how ridiculous it is.

Ashley @ Freckles and Spice February 10, 2013 at 5:19 pm

I’ve seen some cray things in sky mall but helmet to cure baldness! OMG!

And that vacuum thing looks like the ghost busters proton pack.

Heather @ Better With Veggies February 10, 2013 at 8:45 pm

I read skymall while I’m waiting to turn on my electronic devices too – such a silly magazine. Although I got Kirk’s garmin from there years ago, it was a great price. :)

Erin H February 11, 2013 at 11:19 am

Even though I think some of those things are definitely rad, they are still so overpriced that it makes them ridiculous. When did I turn into a cheapskate??

Mollie @Sprinkles of Life February 11, 2013 at 11:20 am

Hey Janetha! Glad your’re back, can’t wait to hear about the trip! Have I said how jealous I am you get to go on a yearly company trip?!? Now that’s rad!
I think they’re all pretty ridiculous but the two I could actually see as useful are the posture corrector and the iso machine. Suction cupped umbrella and hair growing helmet?!?! Really?! lol