sunday stuff.

by Janetha on January 27, 2013

in groceries

HEY! happy sunday evening!

i am extra energized tonight because registration for blend retreat opened a couple hours ago and we are busy, busy, busy confirming ticket sales and making rooming lists and grinning from ear to ear about all the friends we will be seeing in may! if you haven’t decided whether or not you want to come to blend retreat, let me make the decision for you… YOU WANT TO GO! click here to register and i will see you all in may :)

well, today was full of seventy tons of unexpected snow. it was a blizzard here in the SLC and i didn’t even know we had it coming!

IMG 4784

a little (okay, a LOT) of snow didn’t stop me from my sunday ritual of grocery shopping! and neither did the fact that i am leaving town in a few days–hah. i love to leisurely grocery shop on sunday and browse the aisles.. so even though my list was short, i took a good three hours between trader joe’s and whole foods! i am not kidding.. three hours of browsing and minimal purchasing. it was heavenly. aside from the whole car-being-piled-with-snow when i got back outside. i had to wipe it off and then sit for awhile to warm up. pretty sure four inches fell while i was in trader joe’s!

IMG 4793IMG 4799

because of the snow storm, the stores were DEAD! i took it upon myself to wander around trader joe’s and look at all the fun products i never get to check out because it’s always so crowded.

IMG 4790

i snapped photos of products and sent them to those who i thought would love them–chips for marshall, creme brûlée for mandy, cookies for vegan nick, and lava cake for amanda.

IMG 4786IMG 4788
IMG 4789IMG 4787

an hour and a half later, i left with some usual suspects as well as some fun new finds.

TJs

oatmeal flakes cereal that will be gone in 2.2 because i am a cereal monster, roasted coconut chips that were only 2 bucks!, and cheesecake for marshall (stupid non-dairy me…)

IMG 6624

shelf-stable whipping cream–how cool! we don’t do cool whip in our house so this will come in handy (assuming it tastes like the real deal), sweet savory & tart granola bars.. which reminded me of TJ’s tempting trial mix in granola bar form, and these awesome apple strawberry fruit snacks.

IMG 6627

and lots of gummy candy! because it’s good. the mango mango didn’t even stand a chance before getting ripped open.. they are almost gone now haha.

i also picked up a wide variety of bars (at both TJ’s and WF) to take on our trip. marshall and i get REALLY sick of all inclusive resort food.

IMG 6628

i also stocked up on some fat-filled snacks because i am eating more fat this week as i explained in my last post.

IMG 6631

i have had the gone nuts! thai curry cashew, almond, & coconut before and l-o-v-e love them! i got a couple new-to-me items: barbecue kale chips and vanilla maple coco-roons. they both look delicious and are packed with fat. i also got some single-serving peanut and almond butter. (am i the only one who doesn’t LOVE the term “nut butter”? i would rather just type out each individual nut…)

well, those were my fun grocery finds today!

it took me forever to get home from the stores because the freeways weren’t plowed and there was legit almost a foot of snow on the road. yikes. i was able to stay toasty warm in my new puffy coat that i have to show you.

IMG 6672IMG 6674

i am suuuuper stoked on this jacket! it’s a secondhand lululemon puffy coat and i snagged it for $125–pretty sure it retails between 2 and 3 hundred? i had to share this with you because i know you all love a good deal! i like a page on facebook called “renu your lulu”. it’s actually a little store inside of a fitness center–A20 fitness. the owner, jennifer, buys and sells secondhand lululemon. she posts her inventory on her facebook page and when i saw this coat, i immediately swooped it up and she shipped it THAT DAY. since they are in boise, it took only one day to arrive.. and it kept me warm all day.anyway, i thought you lulu lovers would want to know about this so you can follow her on facebook and snag deals of your own!

well.. i gotta go eat dinner. this pepperoi, onion, olive, bell pepper, and goat cheese pizza is calling my name!

IMG 6681

have a great monday!

Momma b January 27, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Registered for blend..check!
Love molten lava cake.,,check!
I want that coat…check!!!

Well maybe I can babysit it while you wing your way off to a warmer climate ☺!

I love you and was sad I missed seeing you at my place today!

xo

alison January 27, 2013 at 9:42 pm

can i just say THANK YOU for coming out against the term “nut butter”…it sounds so gross/sweaty/dirty to me! i just get bad mental images every time i see someone type or say it! guess my mind is in the gutter :/

Marisa January 30, 2013 at 4:56 pm

I hate the word nut butter!!! barf city! :)

Trisha January 27, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Oh man, wandering around TJs sound fantastic. I feel like I’m always just swinging in on my way to or from somewhere so I never get the opportunity to take in all the goodness.
While I didn’t originally think it was a possibility, I’m really thinking about attending Blend after all. Will be checking airfare non-stop over the next couple of days for sure.

Nicole C January 27, 2013 at 11:11 pm

The nerd in me (and a guy I work with) used to take those molten cakes and play myth busters. We cooked them in the car in the summer and it totally worked. Only benefit of living in the desert.

Ps, see you in May :) and enjoy the upcoming trip!

Kerryne January 27, 2013 at 11:19 pm

I’m all registered! Pretty sure I’ll keep your coat nice and toasty for ya while you’re off being all warm on the beach

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish January 28, 2013 at 12:13 am

Can we be grocery shopping buddies? I’d say I spent about three hours perusing grocery store aisles today, too. Then I came home and made dinner with the goodies. There’s no better way to spend a leisurely Sunday.

Oh, and the icing on the cake? I bought a ticket to Blend!!! That means I get to see your beautiful face again in May!!! :D

(I’ll actually be e-mailing you tomorrow…there was a slight room request mistake on either mine or my roommate’s part!)

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance January 28, 2013 at 3:13 am

Hi Janetha!! I’m so excited–I registered for Blend–I can’t wait! It’s like a total leap of faith, doing this. I can’t believe I’m travelling across the country for a weekend retreat to meet all sorts of people I read from every day. Ahhh! :) btw, love the coat. What a deal!!

sara @ fitcupcaker January 28, 2013 at 5:47 am

brr looks cold….Hey where can I get info on the BLEND retreat about which airport to fly into etc?

Janetha January 28, 2013 at 8:06 am
emma January 28, 2013 at 5:54 am

the cocoroons look yummy! i wish we had TJs here in the UK….I went mad in there on my trip to NYC!

Meg January 28, 2013 at 6:22 am

you look absolutely gorgeous in that jacket, sweetie! It fits you perfectly!!! :)

I snagged a ticket to blend last night! so excited to meet you <3

Janetha January 28, 2013 at 7:47 am

STOKED babe!

Linz @ Itz Linz January 28, 2013 at 6:47 am

happy monday to YOU and i’ll see you at BLEND! :)

Lauren January 28, 2013 at 7:01 am

I love grocery shopping with the store is empty! It makes things so much more enjoyable, especially at TJ’s. And those coconut chips ROCK! You’ll love them. Glad you had a good Sunday love!

Meghan @ After the Ivy League January 28, 2013 at 7:37 am

I kind of love running errands in the snow sometimes! Sounds crazy, but it’s exactly like you said. The stores are dead and the roads are pretty much empty so it’s worth it. Huge fan of those Justin’s Almond butter packets…the chocolate hazelnut and the vanilla AB are my favorite!

Lea @ Greens & Coffee Beans January 28, 2013 at 8:00 am

I love taking my sweet time grocery shopping, my roommates refuse to go with me because it takes me at least 2 hours to get groceries! I don’t think i could take a quick trip if I tried!
That Gone Nuts mix is amazing, i bought a bag a couple months ago and it didn’t stand a chance, it was gone in 2 days :)

Heather January 28, 2013 at 8:01 am

This blows my mind. The high here today is 75. Wow!

Corrie Anne January 28, 2013 at 8:04 am

I loved grocery shopping on Sunday, but our stores are too busy so I’m now trying to avoid it. A lot of stuff is out of stock whenever I try. We did go to Lulu yesterday though — and my husband bought a jacket! No fair!! Haha.

Rachel January 28, 2013 at 8:07 am

I am so jealous of your Trader Joe’s loot! We really need to get one here in Bozeman!

Stephanie @ My Freckled Life January 28, 2013 at 8:59 am

As a VA girl, I definitely could NOT handle all of that snow! That’s just crazy!! But what a cool idea with the recycled Lululemon clothing! I’m definitely going to have to check it out. And dont even get me started on the Trader Joe’s jealousy… I’ve moved out of Trader Joe’s range and I’m going through withdrawals…

Erica January 28, 2013 at 9:29 am

ahhhhhhhhh! All that snow! Scary! I love your jacket though. Grocery shopping is the absolute best. I wish I could go to Blend :(

Rachel January 28, 2013 at 9:41 am

Okay, dumbest question EVER but I’ve never really been able to get a clear answer on it. So, when you say that you can’t have dairy, you are referring to cow’s milk products, correct? As in goat cheese/milk/yogurt etc doesn’t count? (I assume anyway since you don’t eat dairy and I see you are eating a goat cheese pizza?) i almost don’t even want to post this question because I feel that stupid asking it lol.

Janetha January 28, 2013 at 10:13 am

Don’t feel stupid. I am not supposed to have any dairy at all. I have been having small amounts of goat’s cheese–it is still dairy! But it doesn’t bug me as bad. However, it still bugs me. But, damnit, I love cheese…

natalie@thesweetslife January 28, 2013 at 10:17 am

braving a snowstorm to hit up an empty grocery store is totally worth it!!

Amanda E. January 28, 2013 at 10:42 am

I got registered for Blend (thanks for helping me on the FB page, btw!). I am using it as motivation to actually keep up with my blog and achieve some of the goals I have been eyeing for the last little bit. I am excited to meet some totally cool people in a few months! Thanks for setting up this opportunity!

Theresa January 28, 2013 at 10:47 am

I sure wish I had a Trader Joe’s close to home. The closest one to me is about 2 1/2 hours away. Someday I will make it there!

Katie January 28, 2013 at 11:34 am

Have you found that goat cheese is easier on your stomach? I’m sensitive to dairy but love cheese!

Janetha January 28, 2013 at 1:27 pm

It is.. but my guts STILL hurt after I eat it. Just not as bad!

Alex @ Alex Tries it Out January 28, 2013 at 11:42 am

I’m so excited for Blend! I would bet you guys were pretty busy. I was surprised to see that tickets were still available this morning!

Thanks for sharing about the Renu Ur Lulu store! I’m going to check that out!

That pizza looks amaZING. Yum.

Annette@FitnessPerks January 28, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Not gonna lie, so glad I wasn’t in that snow yesterday. But this morning I was. Ugh. At 530 a.m. it was still a major mess everywhere & it took me legit 3x the amount of time to go to both gyms. Ugh. BUT, the snow is pretty & I’m thinking it cleared the air?!

I went to TJ’s on Fri–finally! Good stuff.

LOVE that coat on you. I want one too!!

Nicole @ Fruit 'N' Fitness January 28, 2013 at 2:40 pm

I have been hating the cold weather! The pictures with all the snow make me wish I could just go curl back up in bed with a big mug of Tea and my doodle man Bentley. Your trader joe’s shopping trip looks like so much fun, LOVE trader joes! I made your sweet potato shepherds pie yesterday and it was AMAZING!! Will probably become a staple around this house as well! Inexpensive healthy ingredients for a really tasty meal!!

Stephanie @ Wholesome By Design January 28, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Does anyone need a roommate for Blend Retreat? I bought a shared queen bed ticket. I’m nice and don’t smell. I don’t want to share a bed with a stranger but saving money is a good thing so I did what I had to do. I’m a new and unknown blogger so come get to know me, people. My blog is a super huge work in progress though. Maybe you can give me some tips on how to improve it…

Purelymichelle January 28, 2013 at 6:21 pm

love love love that jacket!!! you look so beautiful girl

and Lori and I are so excited for blend! hope we registered correctly haha

Bria @ West of Persia January 28, 2013 at 6:28 pm

A chill browse in Trader Joe’s sounds heavenly. I think that happened to me here in NYC once. Or maybe I was dreaming. Thanks for the Renu Ur Lulu tip. Girl, I am already up on that page!

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables January 28, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Love your jacket girl!! I can’t wait to see your face again at Blend!!!! I’m coming even though our 5 yr anniversary is May 17th. My hubby insists! Maybe it is because I would pout about it if I had to miss out????

Marisa January 28, 2013 at 7:10 pm

I have been LOVING your blog so much lately. Not that I always don’t. Fun seeing snow when I don’t have any ;) hehehe I stare at everything in TJ’s too and try not to read the labels. Some things I will splurge on, though!

Thanks for the link to that lulu fb page! I don’t own ANY lulu gear but stare at it online all the time! There’s a store in dt S.D. too, I should just save & go!

Have fun on your vaca!!!

Marisa January 28, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Oh, I forgot to say that jacket looks amazingly warm and so great on you!!!

ashley@cupcakesncrunches January 28, 2013 at 7:25 pm

I nabbed a ticket to the Blend Retreat last night and I am so excited to meet you and so many other amazing bloggers in May! :)

And I usually spend a significant amount of time grocery shopping and perusing all the aisles. My boyfriend goes with me and I’m convinced he has the patience of a Saint.

JCHokie January 28, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Thanks for posting the FB link! I’m looking for size 4 Defines since LLL discontinued them. Seriously the best jacket ever! Love your jacket, great find!

Tiffany @ Snack Snark Bark January 28, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Sigh, Trader Joes, how I miss thee! I used to live behind one when I lived in Charlotte and remember going there when there was a snow storm (which turned out to be 1 to 2 inches in Charlotte) and there was no one there. as much as I love Trader Joes, I cannot stand the crowds so an empty TJ’s is a perfect one. Looks like you got a ton of goodies too-boo ya!

Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes January 29, 2013 at 5:58 am

That pizza looks amazing! We also had pizza last night. Thanks for sharing!

Sarah (The Simple Dietitian) January 29, 2013 at 11:17 am

I spend a good 4 hours at TJ’s and Whole Foods whenever I go too! The closest ones to me are about an hour away, so when I go (about once or twice a month,) it’s like this massive event…haha. Glad to hear I’m not the only one who LOVES this kind of shopping adventure.

Also, your coat is adorable! I love it. And I’ll bet it’s super, super warm too. What a great find. :D

luv what you do January 29, 2013 at 7:12 pm

I have ventured out to TJ’s in a snow storm or two. Always worth the visit! Have you tried their cookie butter yet? It’s incredible!

And that jacket is fantastic! Love it!

Janetha January 29, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Yup! Love cookie butter!

jessiker February 1, 2013 at 12:08 pm

OMG your coat is so cute. Do you still want the nikita one? Gosh this coat is cute.