penny & randy approved.

by Janetha on January 24, 2013

in dogs,recipes

hello! happy thursday evening! or, by the time you read this, it’ll probably be friday.. so yay!

i wasn’t going to blog tonight, but i ended up having a couple things to share.. but i will make it snappy.

first of all: DINNER.

IMG 6606

i threw this together on a whim and did NOT expect it to be so good. it was, in fact, freaking amazing.. so i have to share. this morning i threw a pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts, an 8 oz can of no salt added tomato sauce, and a jar of trader joe’s salsa verde in the crock pot.

IMG 6612

i cooked it on low for five hours and then shredded it right there in the crock pot. IT WAS THE MOST DELICIOUS CHICKEN EVER. yup. i then had marshall cook some brown rice and spruced it up with my friend nik’s homemade salsa, heated a can of black beans, and smashed an avocado. i threw it all together, topped it with cholula hot sauce, and my new favorite dinner was born. so simple it’s stupid.

marshall loved it, too. he used the ingredients to stuff some hard taco shells and then topped them with some cheese and chobani–two dairy items i can no longer have. i know he loved the tacos because he ate at least seven. (i want his metabolism.)

anyway.. if you are in the market for a quick & easy dinner, make this one. you will not be let down!

my second item of business is the celebration of NATIONAL PEANUT BUTTER DAY!

you have probably heard that today was national peanut butter day. you know i am a sucker for national food holidays so i was all over celebrating today. we have a shelf in our cupboard reserved for nut (and cookie) butters of all kinds.

IMG 6596

lotsa butter. here are those of the peanut variety:

IMG 6599

• peanut butter & co cinnamon raisin swirl and dark chocolate dreams. i have to say mighty maple is my favorite one of the pb & co flavors, but i can’t find it anywhere anymore! these two kinds are fantastic, though. the dark chocolate dreams is like a reese’s peanut butter cup in a jar.
  • skippy. i grew up eating skippy! i met have it on hands at all times. there’s nothing quite like it.
  • trader joe’s valencia peanut butter with roasted flaxseeds (crunchy). i love the addition of flax seeds in this peanut butter. they add great texture, a nice crunch, and nutritional benefits. i ate it with banana slices today.
  • PB2. this is powdered peanut butter–basically the peanuts with the oil removed–and i use it in my protein shakes. i don’t like to mix it with water and make it into a paste to use in sandwiches and on oatmeal or stuff like that.. because it really does not rival actual peanut butter. BUT it is great for adding to things that the peanut butter would otherwise get lost in! it contains 85% less calories than peanut butter, so it is a great alternative when making peanut butter protein shakes or cakes. you can buy it on amazon.
  • fitnutz flavored PBs. i actually forgot i had these two flavored peanut butters! i bought them a couple months ago and haven’t even opened them. one is raspberry flavored and the other is cookies & cream. i need to give them a try in my protein shakes! i bet the raspberry one will go great with my new chocolate raspberry plant fusion protein powder.

IMG 6602

those are the peanut butters i have at the moment! i polished off a jar of smart balance peanut butter this week and will probably buy another jar. i also really love the whole foods generic brand of crunchy peanut butter.

i do make my own peanut butter on occasion.. but sometimes i am just too lazy to get out the food processor. just being honest!

Screen Shot 2013 01 24 at 9 23 10 PM

don’t worry.. we didn’t forget to let miss penny & mister randy celebrate national peanut butter day!

IMG 6584

they waited patiently as i loaded their kongs up with some skippy.

IMG 6583

penny went straight to her cave (under the table)–she takes all her treats there!

IMG 6588

she had a watchful eye on her brother.. making sure he didn’t try to come steal her kong. ha!

IMG 6586

not to worry, pen. randy was too busy gettin’ down on his own kong.

IMG 6591

they LOVE peanut butter.

who doesn’t?!

1. what is your favorite brand of PB? crunchy or creamy?

2. if you got to make up a national food holiday, what would it be?

Joyce January 24, 2013 at 9:41 pm

I love the TJ’s almond butter with flax and it is my favorite but didn’t they recall all versions of it (almond and pb) ???! They’re not selling it anymore in the TJ’s by me… if you got it a while ago, be careful!

And if you got it recently…. my TJ’s needs to get its act together because I need it back in my ilfe.

Bonnie January 24, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Yum! I wonder if we can get your friend’s salsa recipe???

Nik January 24, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Of course Bonnie!! It is pretty simple actually. I used one large can of whole tomatoes, 1 yellow onion, cilantro (fresh or dried. In Janetha’s it was fresh), chili peppers (at home I use fresh roasted, but we used canned at her house), a clove of garlic and/or garlic powder, cumin powder, salt, chili powder

Janetha has a vitamixer (which is my next splurge) so I put it all in there and it was done in a matter of minutes.
At home, I put the whole tomatoes in the blender and blend just for a few seconds, leaving it kind of chunky. Dice the onion and chili’s and add to tomatoes in a large bowl. Then I season with all the spices to personal taste preference. There really isn’t a specific amount of spices that I use. Good luck!! I put this salsa on everything from eggs to tacos to guacamole :)

Bonnie January 25, 2013 at 10:11 am

Yay! Thanks so much, Nik :)

Lisa January 24, 2013 at 10:11 pm

That’s a lot of peanut butter! I like it. Seriously, who gets to come up with these. Do they pay people to come up with them, because I’d really like this job! I’m definitely a creamy nut butter fan, I don’t like the little chunks in crunchy butters. Texture thing I guess!

Lauren January 24, 2013 at 10:41 pm

I love when those simple meals turn into something outstanding! I need to get myself a crock pot. Definitely left mine at home, but slow cooked meals would be so perfect for me in Chicago!

janae@hungryrunnergirl January 24, 2013 at 10:42 pm

We had a very similar dinner tonight:) I ALWAYS think about you when I hear about a national food holiday! I am glad penny and randy were able to celebrate.

Nicole {spinsushi} January 24, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Wow that is one impressive stash of nut butter. My fav is definitely Justin’s Nut Butter in the portion control packets:)

kendra January 24, 2013 at 10:55 pm

crunchy for sure. i guess i didn’t realize there were so many pb varieties. i just may have to go grocery shopping soon. i use skippy natural too. i also have a jar of almond butter and nutella at the moment. i saw some recipes online for some amazing looking sea salt nutella cookies. i just need to muster up the guts to make the little calorie packed creations.

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish January 24, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Umm, this post couldn’t have come at a better time! I’m having a few friends over to make dinner Saturday night, and we decided on chicken tacos. Instead of cooking them on the stove top like I usually do, I told them that I was going to experiment with the slow cooker (which, you won’t believe, is still sitting unopened in my cupboard a year after receiving it last Christmas!) I bookmarked a few recipes online today, but like the simplicity of this one better. :D

I think every day is national peanut butter day in my world. ;) However, I made sure to go above and beyond today with an extra peanut-buttery protein smoothie. I added 2 tablespoons instead of one, which may have been a mistake because I think I’m going to want 2 tablespoons from now on.

Favorite peanut butter: impossible to pick, but for natural/plain, I like Whole Foods 365. Childhood/traditional: Skippy all the way! Flavor: PB& Co. Dark Chocolate Dreams and PB Crave Nookie Cookie. Unconventional (and way too expensive for regular use): Nutzo. :)

Khushboo January 25, 2013 at 2:20 am

Impressive stash of PB you got there! Despite all the fancy nut butters available, Skippy Natural will always be my number 1!

Jess T January 25, 2013 at 4:34 am

my one and only when it comes to peanut butter is Crazy Richard’s, which is the same thing as Krema pb to anyone not on the east coast. the only ingredient is peanuts and it is deliciously runny. you don’t have to refrigerate it and and its pretty easy to stir. i must have one jar at home and one at work at all times. i actually wrote the date on the new jar I have at work, because i feel like i might be consuming it more quickly than i should…..like maybe one jar every 2 weeks at work and one every 3 weeks at home…..thatsalottapeanutbutta

i would vote for a national eat indian food day. mmmmmm or even just national naan day. nothing better than some delicious bread. might even be good with peanut butter.

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles January 25, 2013 at 5:28 am

I discovered Skippy Natural back in the fall and it has definitely worked it’s way to the top of my list of favourite peanut butters. Although, pretty much anything PB&Co does is delicious@

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance January 25, 2013 at 6:03 am

Homemade PB can’t be beat!! I also love using peanut flour–great to get that flavor into baked goods and smoothies.

Lee January 25, 2013 at 6:18 am

I like PB&Co Dark Chocolate Dreams a lot. Problem is I can polish off the jar in like two days. So I mostly just buy the generic Kroger or Publix brand Natural PB. It’s actually really good.

I love it when dogs use their paws to hold the Kong. I don’t know why, but I think it’s so cute.

Linz @ Itz Linz January 25, 2013 at 6:29 am

crockpot chicken is THE BEST!!! national holiday would be: Birthday Cake Ice Cream Day – best flavor EVER!

Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes January 25, 2013 at 6:30 am

Wow that is a lot of nut butters! I think I like creamy best on sandwiches and things and crunchy to eat plain :-)

kendra January 25, 2013 at 6:38 am

Crunchy peanut butter when I was a kid, creamy now that (I guess)I’m an adult.
Lately I’ve been eating walnut butter, my Mom gave me a massive sack of walnuts from her tree.
Is there a holiday celebrating Borscht?

Kristina January 25, 2013 at 7:03 am

Basil and Rosemary are the same way – they each have their kongs (LOVE peanut butter!), and go to different areas to (intense bug eyed) enjoy them. When they are both done, they will go check out the other’s kong… just to make sure it was properly dealt with ;)

Andrea@WellnessNotes January 25, 2013 at 7:49 am

That’s a lot of peanut butter! :) Sadly, while I love peanut butter, I can’t eat it because my gallstones hate it…

Thanks for the crockpot chicken idea. I am so making that!

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige January 25, 2013 at 8:01 am

I love when super simple, few ingredient dishes turn out amazing. I might be stealing this :)
I celebrated PB day yesterday by having it with chili (delicious combo, btw.)

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning January 25, 2013 at 8:09 am

I like to make my own PB, but yeah… I’ve been too lazy to do that lately (even though it’s the easiest thing ever). I don’t know what my favorite straight up plain PB brand is- that’s a tough call! Maranatha maybe? Or Once Again? Really, I like them all. But, I don’t know if I could stomach old school Skippy or Jif (I guess the natural might taste different?). I like straight up peanut flavor- no sugar of HFCS etc.
The dogs LOVE peanut butter. And if I open a jar downstairs, they call smell it from anywhere in the house and come running. We put it in their Kongs and then freeze them for a few hours. It takes them FOREVER to get it out. :)
PS- the choc raspberry plant fusion is THE BOMB

Corrie Anne January 25, 2013 at 8:28 am

Love that kind of dinner! My favorite is the coconut Earth Balance. Boyd loves kongs, but I can’t get Pippa to play with them. She is seriously so prissy about it that she doesn’t like to get her paws and face dirty!!!! Even for peanut butter!

Janetha January 25, 2013 at 10:00 am

That is the cutest.

Emily January 25, 2013 at 8:44 am

What a great, easy dinner. Peanut butter & Co. is the jam for peanut butter. My cabinet looks like yours–with all the different nut butters. Love your pooch!

Meghan @ After the Ivy League January 25, 2013 at 8:59 am

So jealous of your nut butter shelf! I live in an apartment with roommates and only have room for 2-3 flavors at a time. And our dog Logan has the same PB filled toy, he loves that thing!

Calee January 25, 2013 at 9:51 am

That looks like a crazy awesome bowl of deliciousness.

And this seems like an appropriate time to share that Barney is not a fan of sticking treats in things that he has to work to get to. Nope. He’ll let it sit and come back to you asking for his treat.

Janetha January 25, 2013 at 10:01 am

hahahaha that is amazing

Cassie @RedLetterDaye January 25, 2013 at 11:25 am

Smooth natural Skippy is where it’s at! If I could make my own holiday, it’d be “No Calories Day” where everything you ate had no calories. Oh wait, that’s more of a wish. Well, a girl can dream!

Janetha January 25, 2013 at 12:46 pm

ohhhh best holiday ever

Jessica Y January 25, 2013 at 11:46 am

We got my dog a kong recently but usually freeze it after putting the peanut butter in to avoid a mess — do your floors become a disaster just putting the pb in the kong and letting the pups have at it??

Janetha January 25, 2013 at 12:46 pm

haven’t noticed any peanut butter on the floors.. although i am sure if there was, they would lick it up haha

Erica January 25, 2013 at 12:22 pm

yayyyy for burrito bowls! All about them. I just made some apple peanut butter bars! My way of celebrating the amazingness that is peanut butter! I like any simple peanut butters that are just peanuts!

kristen @ livinlifeinlouie January 25, 2013 at 1:08 pm

I just found PB2 at my grocery store, I love it

Annette@FitnessPerks January 25, 2013 at 2:13 pm

I don’t like PB…..don’t hate me, mmmkay?

That dinner looks ridic. I LOVE crock pot chicken–esp the mexican variety :)

Allison @ Train Eat Repeat January 25, 2013 at 3:18 pm

i’m cool with Kraft natural peanut butter, its got to be smooth though!

if i could make up a national food holiday it would be “All Allison Can Eat Crab for free” :)

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 25, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Peanut butter – people and pet approved! I think that must make it one of the greatest things EVER! (thank goodness I’m not allergic!)

Karey @ Nutty About Health January 25, 2013 at 4:48 pm

One of my favorites of the PB variety is the Peanut Butter & Co Cinnamon Raisin Swirl. I can’t keep it in the house very long & sadly, I’m out of it at the moment. :( I’m loving on the Earth Balance crunchy coconut PB spread lately too, yum! Oh, & Wild Squirrel makes a pretty mean Honey Pretzel PB… I don’t think there are too many PB’s I don’t like. LOL I tend to go for crunchy or ones with something in them. Wish every day was National PB Day… well, it kinda is at my house. LOL

Nicole @ Fruit 'N' Fitness January 25, 2013 at 5:04 pm

I love your nut butter collection! I also agree with you Peanut butter and Co mighty maple is delish! IT’s hard to find in stores around me.

BroccoliHut January 27, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Oh, how I love nut butter–but especially peanut butter! These days I’m groovin on the Whole Foods brand (it’s also way cheaper than a lot of other brands). ALWAYS creamy!

Sara u February 4, 2013 at 6:42 am

They sell maple at sprouts now!