things that make you go hmmm…

by Janetha on January 16, 2013

in humor,product review,random rambles,tips

i am a big “hmmmm”-er. i say it a lot. out loud. in my head. in text conversations.. what can i say? a lot of things make me go hmmm!

case in point: i went to log into my amex account today and it said i was already logged in…

i let out an audible “hmmmmmmmm”. that’s weird! i even log out every time.

exhibit b: today’s tiny on the go breakfast left me WAY more satiated than today’s lunch, which was basically double the calories. hmmmm.

marshall didn’t make morning fruit & veggie juice today, which usually holds me over until i can eat breakfast at work, so i decided to make a protein shake before leaving my house this morning. it’s a lot smaller than my typical breakfast (which is the juice and then a substantial meal around 350 calories) but i decided to have the shake and then maybe a smaller breakfast at my office. that was at 8:15 AM. guess what? i wasn’t even the LEAST bit hungry until past 1 o’clock! why is that? beats me. hmmmm.

i mentioned that i text “hmmmmm” quite a bit. here are just two examples…

hmmmm 004

don’t worry. it was the coffee maker’s fault. it kept wasting k-cup after k-cup by not functioning properly. it basically had it coming… we ended up buying a new keurig at costco later that day. back in biz.

hmmmm 003

that was from this morning. seriously, ouch. the meg-inator left me SO sore! my quads.. and my quads rarely get sore (it is usually my hamstrings.) then the weighted push ups from yesterday (i had 35# worth of plates on my back) really did my chest in. hmmmm.

how about some more things that make me go hmmmm?

i recently read a post on sarah fit regarding pv.body, a company i recently reviewed. i originally gave the company two thumbs up.

NewImage

the way pv.body works is the company offers to send you a name-brand workout outfit each month for $49.99. AWESOME concept and i really loved the clothes i was sent. well, i didn’t love the first top, but i quickly received a replacement top and i couldn’t speak enough praise about the company. i thought it was a really cool idea and a great deal (you know i love a deal!) but, as sarah’s post explains, the company is now switching all the subscriptions to no longer receive discounted name-brand apparel, but items from their own clothing line they are launching, ellie. hmmmm.

on the upside, subscribers will be able to choose their pieces before receiving them, which i believe will be good since it will decrease the return rate from customers receiving a piece of clothing they don’t like. on the downside, the whole “name-brand clothing for less” concept is, well, no longer a concept that is in place. instead, customers are receiving the ellie brand. i am not sure the quality of this new line, ellie, as i have never seen it nor tried it out. who knows, it could be as awesome as lululemon, but it also could be not so awesome. hmmmmm.

i am not comfortable promoting a company that completely changes the service they offer without informing customers. i am also not comfortable with not sharing this nugget of information, so i had to post about it. if you did sign up for pv.body through my original post, please be aware of this change. please also be aware that i had no idea they were going to be doing this switcharoo. if you are not interested in receiving their new brand, ellie, in your monthly box.. you should reconsider your subscription. if you are cool with it, then that’s great, too. my original thoughts still stand, though, i think pv.body’s original business plan was an awesome concept and really loved the clothes i received! i had nothing but a positive experience when dealing with them, and i hope those of you who signed up can say the same. i just had to disclose this new information. now you know.

one last thing that REALLY made me go hmmmmm was the video that is circulating about the sandy hook shooting. i originally received the video in an email from my boss, and i typically delete those emails (because he forwards me about 18 junk emails a day) but he said i really should to watch this one, so i humored him. it was a thirty minute video speculating conspiracy theories about the shooting. hmmmmm.

apparently other people are going hmmmm about it, too, since it has nearly nine MILLION views since posted on youtube about a week ago. the video made me sad, curious, and frustrated. while i didn’t believe it, i definitely hmmmmm-ed the whole way through it with a weird feeling in my gut. of course, right after watching the video i went on to view multiple things about how the video was complete BS, which made me feel better. but still, hmmmmm, weird shit. i don’t love it.

well, that’s all the hmmmm-ing i have to share with you for today.

oh, but before i go, i have to share these two bargains with you. thanks to a reader (hi, mary!) i have discovered the site eversave.com… just what i need, another daily deal site! but, coincidentally, they are running a deal right now—ten bucks for $20 at luckyvitamin.com. wouldn’t you know it, i was about to place an order on luckyvitamin.com TODAY. spooky. (and cool! and it definitely made me go hmmmm… haha!)

so, i snagged the lucky vitamin deal

Screen Shot 2013 01 16 at 8 22 00 PM

and then perused the site a bit and decided to snag the vitalicious deal, too, since i love those things and rarely splurge on them!

Screen Shot 2013 01 16 at 8 22 40 PM

sharing is caring.

1. what is the last thing that made YOU go “hmmmmm”?

2. please share your thoughts on any and all of the things that made ME go “hmmmm”!

Momma b January 16, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Seriously the highlight of my day is reading your post!! I love every single one. And guess what I realized I’m quite the hmmmmm er too and I say wow a lot and sometimes WOW!

My last hmmmm was the sandy hook video you sent me…had same reaction….weird!

Thanks for the tip on the pv.body and the vitimin deal! You are always a wealth of info. I laughed at your coffee maker incident…it had it coming :-)

I love you!!

xo

kimberlybowsher@gmail.com January 16, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Fruit kick starts your metabolism so that might be why you feel hungry sooner when you do the fruit smoothie even though you are ending up with more calories. Ayurveda suggests fruit and ginger to “fire up the belly” and improve metabolic rate – more so at the start of a meal, as opposed to as a dessert. One less hmmm?? Hopefully?

Janetha January 16, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Oh no that’s not what I meant! I meant my breakfast was more filling than my lunch :) I know that the juice in the AM does not fill me up ever. It is all carbs and sugar and no protein–it’s simply a way to get more nutrients in my life, but not for satiety!

Jenna January 16, 2013 at 11:28 pm

I tend to say “hmmm” to a lot of things to… However these conspiracy theories about my hometown really make my stomach churn. :-( It frustrates me that people can be ignorant enough to deny something that they were not involved in or directly impacted by in any way.

Janetha January 16, 2013 at 11:29 pm

It for real makes me sick to my stomach!!!

Trisha January 17, 2013 at 4:53 am

What other “daily deal” sites do you use?? I just checked out and downloaded the eversave app! (and bought the vitalicious and luckyvitamin deals as well.. ;) ) Thanks!!

Why not just make a big ol green smoothie with fruit in a.m. adding protein powder as your first meal?? just curious… I drink mine on way to work (at 5:30am) and at about 830-9 I have my oats w protein.

Also, i’ve been doing BFL eating for this past week and I’m so pleasantly satiated. I find that after meals i’m not endlessly searching for something else to eat. YAY! Constantly referring to your blog for food and eats ideas. THANKS!

Going to check out video later… and so glad I didn’t do pv.body (was close at one point)

Janetha January 17, 2013 at 5:20 am

Because I love to eat breakfast food! It’s my fave. Although I did just order some pea protein last night to do just that every once in awhile.

Linz @ Itz Linz January 17, 2013 at 5:39 am

honestly, i’ve had nothing but a fabulous experience with pvbody, their clothes, and their customer service. yes, they are switching things, but they will be informing everyone… i think us ambassadors just found out first. (which is nice)

on a different note, st. louis weather has been making me go hmmm. 30 today, 50 tomorrow. hmmmm??

MizFit January 17, 2013 at 5:43 am

the PV thing for sure.
SO SO SO DISAPPOINTINGT

Katy Widrick January 17, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Ugh. The only things that makes me feel better about the whole thing are that a) I did my due diligence at the time — things have changed, but I don’t think I was irresponsible in my original praise b) smarter bloggers than me (ahem, Janetha, ahem) had the same experience, so I feel less alone. :)

Janetha January 17, 2013 at 3:10 pm

You make me smile. And also make me think that having offspring and a job are way more possible than I originally thought. Yeah, that was a side note.

Katy Widrick January 18, 2013 at 7:44 am

And that, my love, makes me go HMMMMMyayyayyayyayHMMMMMM.

Melody January 17, 2013 at 6:07 am

Thank you for taking the time to talk about pv body. I ordered a box from them after reading your review because I thought it was a great idea…that was on December 21st and I just received my order on Jan 12. They sent me tights and a short sleeve shirt (almost identical to your outfit)…but I requested shorts and a tank top on my profile. I have sent my order back and hope to revieve what i thought I had paid for. I have contacted Hope from pv body and hope for a reply soon. I have tried calling them but only got through to a person once and they didn’t help me at all. I did a quick search on “pv body reviews” and found an interesting complaint about the owner being a known con artist also, not to say that that is true though. I have always loved your reviews and feel that you are always honest with your readers and that is greatly appreciated!

Jessica January 17, 2013 at 8:57 am

YES. THIS. I had the worst experience with PVBody in terms of just getting someone to talk with me! First they failed to honor a 40% discount promised in an email at checkout. They ignored 2 calls, 4 emails, over TWO weeks before I got a hold of someone. They refunded the difference, and then failed to include the free tank also promised to arrive with the first order.

When I attempted to cancel it took four days to get someone on the phone. I never did a real follow-up via email – just instructions to call customer service.

I was really disappointed since it seemed they saved up their service for bloggers to promote them. What can I say, I was duped. I cancelled after one order. And I make sure to let other people know how bad my experience was.

Erica January 17, 2013 at 6:21 am

Poor coffee pot…glad yall got a new one. Don’t mess with a tired lady’s coffee!! I thought PV was mixing in the Ellie stuff? I didn’t realize it was going to exclusively be Ellie? I will have to reread my email. I do love the company though and if its good quality stuff (which I believe it is)… I still think its a nice deal. Hope you have a fabulous day. So glad its Thursday already

lindsay January 17, 2013 at 6:47 am

i;m hmmming about the PVbody too. But maybe their new line will be badass and we’ll all forget about it. dunno. But the heads up would have been nice.

i’m hmmming about booking a hair appt today. Back to blonde perhaps? hmmm

Sierra January 17, 2013 at 7:03 am

This post was FULL of great info, thanks for sharing. I really like you and Sarah being open and honest about this PV Body stuff. I had heard some chatter about the marketing strategy at work, so I have always been a little skeptical since the deal seemed too good to be true. I HATE being mislead in marketing and this is exactly what they did…and they used people. Boo.

I totally bought that Vitamuffin deal and am considering the Luckyvitamin. Just what I need, more flash sales to subscribe to.

Amanda @ Romancing the Unusual January 17, 2013 at 7:11 am

I watched that Sandyhook video, as well. It still has me hmmming. I’m sure there is nothing to it, but still hmmm worthy for sure.

Maryz January 17, 2013 at 7:40 am

Thanks for sharing the Eversave deal on Twitter yesterday! I signed up and bought the Lucky Vitamin deal immediately!!

betty January 17, 2013 at 7:57 am

did you get the coffee pot from bed bath and beyond? if M didnt smash it to complete pieces, you can take it back and they will give you a refund! no need to have a box or receipt either. my friends just took theirs back (not even sure they got it from there originally) and got a nice chunk of change back (i think like $90) without a package or receipt! just a thought!

these s.h. elem stories really make me sad. to think that people could even question someone ‘making this up’ makes me sick.

something making me go hmmmm – i switched up my protein cause i didnt have choc left (but didnt have a lot of cash last week) so i got a diff brand whey and it tears my stomach up.. which is weird cause whey is usually all i ever get. prob cause its cheap and made with nasty things i dont even want to know. i’m think about switching to something else.. i’ve only ever used EAS and then MRM (thanks to you) but i want to see what else i like.. may switch it up for a diff protein base like plant.. we’ll see.

sorry for the novel! <3

Mollie @Sprinkles of Life January 17, 2013 at 8:03 am

I did some research right after the Sandy Hook shootings. Found many unsettling things. I really don’t know what to believe and what’s true. But you are right, so.disturbing!

Mary January 17, 2013 at 8:16 am

i feel semi-famous now. haha also, thanks for the reviews of protein powders you did awhile back. im looking forward to trying MRM and plant fusion. the one i use now has maltodextrin in it (which ive heard some bad things about) as well as a few other additional ingredients i don’t really like. also i say hmmmm alot in texts (and conversation) when i don’t have anything else to say (or when i havent been listening. shame on me.)

Shaunna@mamas13minutemile January 17, 2013 at 8:27 am

Snagged both of those deals! Thanks for sharing :) I have never tried Vitatops so I am stoked!!

Lauren January 17, 2013 at 8:51 am

I had a horrible experience with pv.body as did MANY MANY others who weren’t “ambassadors”. You can read about it hear if you are curious along with links to other blogs that had problems.

Great business concept, VERY POOR customer service and execution. And now that they aren’t even offering name brands makes it even worse.

Tiffinie January 17, 2013 at 9:05 am

So far my experience with pv.body is about as good at Lauren’s above. My card was charged back on 12/21/12 and I have yet to actually received anything in the mail! I have sent a couple of e-mails to their customer service stating that. I have gotten zero response from them. I am going to cancel my subscription and dispute my credit card charge – I don’t really want to pay for something that I never really got! I was hoping that it was going to be a good thing – I love workout clothes and this seemed like a great way to get them for a little less and more conveient – but it just didn’t work out that way!

Nicole @ Fruit 'N' Fitness January 17, 2013 at 9:29 am

I agree with many of you. The Sandy hook videos still have me going hmm. The horrible things that people do always seems to shock me.

Calee January 17, 2013 at 9:38 am

thanks for sharing that nugget about PV Body. No WONDER they had a push to have bloggers spread the word about them (I’ve seen about 5 a week in the last month) — duh, get everybody to sign up, and then introduce a line of clothing. Genius (but not cool).

Also, I’m with Marshall on smashing broken things instead of just throwing them out … something so therapeutic about it (dunno if he actually did it or not … if not, then disregard this. i swear my anger is totally managed.:)

AND regarding your “hmmm” on your meal — could just be that that’s what your body wanted that day? Remember calorie cycling? I think our bodies do that naturally, which is why some days you’re really hungry vs. other days when you’re not. Obviously heavy lifting days you’re going to be hungrier than others, but there are times that I find myself being not-so-hungry when I ran a bunch or being supremely hungry when I’ve sat on my ass all day. So who knows! Bodies are weird.

Janetha January 17, 2013 at 10:11 am

Oh. He threw it. Haha.. and it was a Keurig. No damage done to the garage, though! He has had a fight with that machine every day for the past month and it had wasted us several k-cups, so it had it comin’!

I thought that about my meal, too, so I am trying it again today. So far, I am still full.. but I worked out at 5:45 AM so I think I will be hungry soon!

Love you

Calee January 17, 2013 at 10:21 am

ahhhh 5:45 AM. boooo hisssss. I’m trying this new yoga class today: Power Sculpt. It’s yoga + weights, and my last attempt to try to use my subscription for the final 2 months I’ve got it. Definitely still hate yoga (though it was great when I was injured).

sarah w. January 17, 2013 at 9:43 am

my first experience with pv body was fantastic. i received my order within about a week and got a pair of blue leggings which i love and a hot pink tank which is great for crossfit, slightly boobalicious though. hopefully the girls stay put!

that being said, I have no idea the quality of ellie and do not want to wait to find out so i cancelled my subscription. I’ll be happier finding my discounted products at TJ Maxx and the like than taking a chance on this company (the CEO has had one too many failed business ventures so I’d rather just steer clear and deleted my credit card info from my pv account). it is what it is.

Carly @ Snack Therapy January 17, 2013 at 10:11 am

I’m a “hmmm-er” too. I guess I’m just generally confused by life. And I’m loving your chocolate PB breakfast smoothie. I’ve never tried PB2! I wonder why… Hmmm…

Annette@FitnessPerks January 17, 2013 at 10:18 am

Yep, the pv.Body thing has me hmmmmming too. I want to see what this ‘ellie’ line is all about & then we shall see. But I gotta say, their business strategy is seriously sucking. I wish people would just be honest?!? When are companies/people gonna learn that they WILL Be found out if they are dishonest & unethical?! ugh. Good review/post/info for your readers though!

Another thing I am hmmmmming about: why did I not sleep longer today?!?! Haha

elise January 17, 2013 at 11:28 am

dude, the manti te’o story is whats got me “hmmmm”-ing. wtf is going on with that biz??

Janetha January 17, 2013 at 12:19 pm

marshall told me all about it after i published this post! that is a definite HMMMMM!

Nicole @ Fruit 'N' Fitness January 17, 2013 at 4:02 pm

I agree, that whole situation is crazy! It was on ESPN all morning today.

kate January 17, 2013 at 11:53 am

oooh thanks for the vitatop tip! I rarely splurge on them, but they’re delicious and always pick them up when they go on sale. After the $5 new member discount, I’ve got a lot of muffins coming my way for cheap!

Janetha January 17, 2013 at 12:19 pm

wait what new member $5 off? news to me…

kate January 17, 2013 at 12:49 pm

yep, offered me one automatically when I signed up!

Janetha January 17, 2013 at 3:14 pm

dang! not me!

sherice@foodieluvsfitness January 17, 2013 at 12:31 pm

I’m a hmmmer too. I have a pinterest board named hmmmm.

last thing I hmmmed over was Cleopatra’s sunken kingdom found off the shores of Alexandria
I tried posting the link to it and to my hmmm board but wouldn’t let me?

anyway, if interested you know how to use google ;)

Janetha January 17, 2013 at 12:32 pm

i love that you have a whole board called hmmmm. <3

Toni January 17, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Love your blog! What site do you use for your food diary?

Janetha January 17, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Thanks, Toni! I use myfitnesspal.com

AJ January 17, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Now that you have a new Keurig… make sure you go on the website and register your serial #, etc. The next time you have an issue with it CALL THEM.
We have had ours for almost 3 years… we called them 3 times because it was basically just shooting water out like a fountain (cold thankfully) and they mailed us a whole new keurig… for FREE!!!!!

Janetha January 17, 2013 at 3:14 pm

haha ok thank you for the tip! i will do that today! xoxo

Lindsay January 17, 2013 at 1:08 pm

hmmmmm was deciding on my lunch today. went with a big spinach salad with more toppings than i care to disclose…… :)

Janetha January 17, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Oh my gosh, I think I hmmmmmm about food more than anything else!

Yana January 17, 2013 at 3:24 pm

I’ve been hmmm-ing all day today while reading pvBody reviews.

My experience with them has been a mixed bag. So far I had reasons to call their customer service on three occasions: my 20% discount didn’t go through; my order was taking three weeks to go out; my order came but didn’t contain the free top that was stated in the order summary. On all three occasions I spoke with the same person. First time I got through immediately, second time it took two days, third time two hours. First two issues were resolved as promised – discount refunded and order was shipped at the time the rep indicated it would be. Third call was just two days ago, and I was told that the free shirt would be shipped by the end of the day I called, so there is still time for that. Overall, once I got through to the actual person, they fixed the problem in timely matter, but their absolute lack of any process of communication with the customers is annoying.

I don’t have a problem with a brand switch as long as it is of a good quality and looks and fits well. I am, however, concerned after reading so many complains about their service and the previous companies from their CEO. I am not sure if it’s just incompetence or really a scam. I think I’ll wait and see what comes out of it. My next (pre-Ellie) order is supposed to go out next week. If I receive it and I like it, I’ll check Ellie out; if they cheat me out of it, I’ll pay for the experience.

Janetha January 17, 2013 at 4:48 pm

I knew you had had issues so I was so worried when I heard this new stuff! EEEEK

Yana January 17, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Good thing is that so far their word was good. And my outfit did arrive and was cute, even though neither piece was what I specified in the preferences. But I haven’t shopped for workout clothes for years, so I have space for couple different styles. And (thanks to GPP) they fit really well.

Trisha January 17, 2013 at 3:27 pm

I’m a hmmmmer too. It’s so weird when you text it, but I think nothing of saying(?) it. I have been hmmming over the Sandy Hook conspiracy theory and pvbody this week too. And now this Manti Te’o ish? People are weird.

Destini January 17, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Honestly your posts always make laugh. I love that you are so open and sharing :)

Thanks for a good read.

Sara @ fitcupcaker January 17, 2013 at 6:11 pm

the coffee pot conversation was quite funny, had me laughing :)

Cassie @RedLetterDaye January 18, 2013 at 11:57 am

I love you you use emojicons in your contacts’ names for iPhone! Emojis make me so happy! Totally just added emojis to my besties! :)

Janetha January 18, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Haha yay! It’s the little things!

healing herbal tea July 29, 2013 at 12:43 am

This piece of writing is in fact a good one it assists
new internet users, who are wishing for blogging.