moody monday.

by Janetha on January 14, 2013

in meals,random rambles

woah boy.. it’s been a DAY. i know it is cliché to say mondays suck.. but this monday, my friends, sucked just a tad more than the rest of the days of my life.

allow me to vent, just for a second? thanks.

things started bright (er–DARK) and early with a cold house and a power outage. because the power was out, i couldn’t get ready for work.. okay, so maybe that was a blessing in disguise because i was able to sleep another 45 minutes before the power clicked back on. but once i got up and going, i realized i had no contacts on my eyeballs.

i (literally) take my contacts out of my eyes once every 2 to 3 months (okay, sometimes 4…) and last night i took them out per marshall’s advice. whelp, wouldn’t you know it, this morning i tried to find a new pair and realized i was out. so.. it was four eyes for me all day. i hate wearing my glasses.. not because of how i look, but because of how i SEE out of them. i seriously feel drunk and can’t drive properly and have no depth perception and my peripheral vision is nonexistent. i just don’t love glasses. so there was that.

on my way home, i had to stop by costco to snag some contacts because there was no way i could work out in glasses. not with all that huffing, puffing, and jumping! unfortunately there was a line longer than randy the basset hound and so that took forever.. which made me late for my trainer training class at GPP. but it got worse.. whilst driving from costco to the freeway entrance, there was a major traffic jam and i was gridlocked for three full green light cycles. aggravating. once i got near my house, OF COURSE i hit the longest train ever (i pass two train tracks on my way home.) i am known as the train magnet amongst everyone i know. i’m cursed.

i finally got home and INHALED a raspberry cheesecake cookie (whoops) and changed into my gym clothes then bolted out the door. all of that made me about 20 minutes late for my training class, which only lasts an hour to begin with.. dang. there was also a nugget of disappointing information regarding blend retreat dropped on me via email en route to GPP. i can’t share said nugget with you, but it’s a big deal and it’s causing me a lot of stress! praying it will all work out, though. say your prayers for me, mmmk? thanks.

heavy sigh.

i let out all my aggression on today’s workout: meg-inator. it’s one of those GPP workouts that EVERYONE dreads.. right there with thrust-o-rama and fitzoner. it was my first time attempting meg-inator at the Rx weight and i finished in 15:59! cannot complain. it was a super hard and shitty workout, though. ugh.

our fitness assignment this week for the optimal health challenge is to squeeze in five extra hours of cardio (ugh, haha!) so i jetted over to gold’s gym to participate in 45 minutes of candice’s body attack class. a lot of my friends went and it was tons of fun, it didn’t even feel like exercise! hah.

i came home and immediately made a post-workout protein shake because that was just too much working out for me for one period of time.

Peanut Butter Banana Protein Shake  meals  moves

[pinit]

it had 1 scoop of plant fusion protein powder, 1/2 a banana, a cup of almond milk, 1 TB pb2, and a bunch of ice. simple, but filling and tasty.

that didn’t hold me over for long, so i got to work on dinner shortly after sucking it down.

IMG 6362

when i told you guys that we have bacon & eggs for dinner at least once a week, i wasn’t kidding. it’s so quick and easy! not to mention delicious. tonight’s breakfast for dinner included 3 slices of center cut bacon, roasted creamer potatoes, sourdough wheat toast, and a heaping cup of egg whites scrambled with an egg and some goat cheese crumbles. mmmm.. i love breakfast for din.

whelp, that’s really all i’ve got for you about today. sorry i’m a little moody! i will leave you with a few random odds and ends since this day deserves no more attention.

look, ma, i’m on a cereal box!

IMG 6363

haha.. yeah, kinda fun, right? i can’t eat this cereal because it has dairy in it, but i absolutely i LOVE special K’s protein plus cereal (i ate a box of it in 4 days.. whoops!) i am going to save this one for kicks.. since cereal is my favorite food.

my best friend is cuter than yours.

IMG 6239

happy 30th to kristen last friday! we had fun celebrating with tacos and tequila at taqueria 27. utah locals, GO THERE.

trader joe’s released their top products of 2012.

Screen Shot 2013 01 14 at 9 36 23 PM

i am happy to report i have tried (and love) 50% of the items on the list. and i fully intend to try (and love) the other half. i am even happier to report that my life is so much better now that we have a trader joe’s in salt lake city. yes, i am that serious about my grocery shopping.

mmmkay, i’m calling it a night. here’s to a happier tomorrow!

holly January 14, 2013 at 10:37 pm

I’m sorry you had such a rough day. As if mondays weren’t hard enough, mother nature is being awfully mean with how cold its been here. Tomorrows a new day right?

Hillary {Nutrition Nut on the Run} January 14, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Hope you have a better Tuesday… are you really on a cereal box!?

Julie January 15, 2013 at 12:37 am

I’m surprised I haven’t tried everything on that list! Also, that protein shake looks bomb!

Madison January 15, 2013 at 5:12 am

I’m sorry you had a poopy Monday. I have been there and done that! Sometimes you are thinking “you’re kidding right!?!?” haha Tuesday will be terrific–just you wait! :)

Erica January 15, 2013 at 5:36 am

bahhh! I am so bad about taking my contacts out too….I totally know the “drunk” feeling you’re talking about from your glasses. Plus, Frank sat on my glasses a couple months ago and broke them in half (I kid you not)…so I don’t even have glasses right now. Whoops. Doesn’t attack rock? Its my favorite. Some day Candice and I will get together at a bloggy event and tag team some attack. Rockin. Hope today is SO much better

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries January 15, 2013 at 5:37 am

I’m sorry to hear it was a rough day! I hope today is much better!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles January 15, 2013 at 6:02 am

I feel the same way about my glasses – I’m not a big fan of how I look in them, but what’s worse is looking through two glass boxes all day. It seriously throws everything off.

I hope you have a better day today!

Sara @ fitcupcaker January 15, 2013 at 6:02 am

I love trader Joes. What a great list!

Nina @ Sweating It January 15, 2013 at 6:10 am

“A line longer than Randy the basset hound…” Love it, your pups, and your sense of humor. Today’s a new day!

Linz @ Itz Linz January 15, 2013 at 6:10 am

peanut butter and banana combo makes everything better :) :)

Lee January 15, 2013 at 6:18 am

It was a crap Monday for me too. Blah. At least it’s over, right? I’ll admit, I’m kind of scared to try the Speculoos Butter. Scared because I will probably eat the entire jar in like 2 sittings.

Lauren January 15, 2013 at 6:23 am

I hate wearing my glasses too for that same reason. Sorry you had a bad Monday. Those are the worst! Hears hoping today is so much better! xoxo

Steph January 15, 2013 at 6:31 am

You can’t just show the cute cereal box and not explain how you got on it… DO tell!
And consider it a victory if You made it out of Costco with the only item you went for-THAT is some massive will power right there my friend.

Janetha January 15, 2013 at 9:12 am

OH, sorry! Nothing special. Special K just sent it as a gift! It’s one of a kind :)

Jenni January 15, 2013 at 7:05 am

I’m making this smoothie -today-. looks so good. And Taquiera 27 is one of my new favorites. I’m obsessed!

Corrie Anne January 15, 2013 at 7:53 am

I hope today is going tons better!!!!! I want to hear about the cereal box too! :)

Janetha January 15, 2013 at 9:11 am

Nothing to hear! Special K just sent it as a gift!

Jenn January 15, 2013 at 7:57 am

Sorry you had a moody Monday. I hope that means today is a terrific Tuesday!

Kim @ The Family Practice Blog January 15, 2013 at 8:04 am

I’m sorry you had such a rough day! And the bad news about Blend. I have to say I got good news via email about the retreat myself – husband emailed me to say that he would pay for the whole thing for me – isn’t that just awesome?! I’m super excited!
Five EXTRA hours of cardio? That’s more than I do in general…
Hope you have a better day today :)

Janetha January 15, 2013 at 9:11 am

Haha me too–I don’t do ANY cardio outside of my GPP programming.. so it’s going to be tough. I have 3 hours down so far. YAY that you can come to Blend and your husband is paying for it! I am so excited!

Tamara January 15, 2013 at 8:33 am

Hugs, and sending good vibes about the retreat, I hope it sorts out! And here’s to a much better Tuesday! xoxox

kendra January 15, 2013 at 8:53 am

I hear you on depth and periphery, before laser eye surgery I had neither with my glasses on.

When I was 14 years old a bunch of us drove 17 hours to the middle of no where to see my favorite band of all time The Ramones. I wore my contacts with no back up and no glasses. In the tent before the show I rubbed my eyes and my right contact popped out. I tore the tent apart and found this stiff misshapen disk, stuck it in my mouth and was amazed it went back in my eye. I thankfully feasted both eyes that night on the late, great Joey.

Janetha January 15, 2013 at 9:10 am

Love that story! I often put my contact in my mouth to clean it off–it’s a good lifesaver if you don’t have saline. I cannot believe you found it!!

kendra January 15, 2013 at 9:23 am

My guardian angel is a Ramones fan too. Being legally blind with out prescription I wouldn’t have survived the weekend without it.

Annette@FitnessPerks January 15, 2013 at 9:47 am

Yay! My face is on a Special K box too. I am never throwing it away either. Hahahaa!

P.s. sorry about your crappy day. Ugh. Traffic & being stuck is the WORST. I had that yesterday morning when I was flying to go teach another class. I was SO stressed out. Ugh. Hope today goes better! P.s. just got your email, thanks!!

LG January 15, 2013 at 10:16 am

Aw man…I hate “those kinds” of days!!! So frustrating. I was surprised a few months ago when I ran out of contacts – it made me so mad! Almost in tears-mad, because I like to have OPTIONS! Right now!!! lol.

With driving to the gym, I usually make things worse by only leaving myself 10-15 minutes to get to a class, which makes any red light drive me crazy. I need to leave more time so I’m not so bonkers. I mean, what’s the point of going to a calming yoga class but becoming enraged on my way there??? Ok, first world problem, but still.

Melissa B January 15, 2013 at 11:11 am

YOU ARE ON A CEREAL BOX?! for reals this may actually be the coolest thing ever! i love cereal. i’m proud! i’m going to search for your face at the store – for reals!
ps. you need to come to body attack more, that was so much fun!

Janetha January 15, 2013 at 11:57 am

haha it’s just a one of a kind they made for me :) but search away…

i want to go every monday!

Katie January 15, 2013 at 11:21 am

If it makes you feel any better, I nearly spilled my water while reading this – but didn’t! As I was thinking ‘close call, but YES’, I picked up the water to drink – and spilled it all over my lap. I think I’ll stay in my office until it doesn’t look like I peed myself…

Hope you have a better day!

Clare @ Fitting It All In January 15, 2013 at 11:50 am

UGH totally with you on the glasses – it makes me feel so disconnected from the world!! Sorry you had such a frustrating day,but way to go taking it out on that workout!
Hope things workout with Blend!!

Carly @ Snack Therapy January 15, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Some days are just… UGH. At least you had a cereal box with your face on it to cheer your up.

Janetha January 15, 2013 at 1:36 pm

lol at least!

Maren January 15, 2013 at 1:47 pm

It always seems like you hit every frickin red light and train when you’re in a hurry. SOOO annoying. Hope you’re having a much better day today! At least you had an awesome workout! POSITIVE!

Lisa January 15, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Sorry about the rough day. Sometimes the day is just not in our favor. At least today will be much better, yes! It sounded like you really rocked the workout though, so that’s a plus to the day! Pretty cool about the personalized cereal box:)

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome January 15, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Hope today was a better day! I had a “moody Monday” as well. Nothing better than coming home from a nice girls weekend to a sick toddler. Which means we’re stuck inside, all day, until he gets better. No gym for me :-( Luckily I’ve got Fitmixer but I like to add more on top of their workouts. Oh well, bound to happen from time to time!

Calee January 15, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Holy shit that monday sucked.

I second the hate-wearing-glasses-because-i-feel-drunk sentiment. I have been wearing mine around the house with some frequency, so it’s getting better, but i cannot wear them at work and stare at the computer screen without getting weird motion sickness.

also, you can get contacts at cost-co? that’s crazy. i usually get a year’s supply (which lasts me about 1.5 yrs because I wear them longer instead of keeping them in my eyes all the time like you’re “supposed” to with the brand I use).

AND your best friend IS cuter than mine. Or at least on par. :)

Also, boo on the Blend news. I have an inkling … and i hope it works out!

Hope your Tuesday went way better than Monday!

angie greene January 16, 2013 at 1:16 pm

NO CIGAR! :)

Cat January 21, 2013 at 8:33 pm

What’s GPP? I just came across your blog today and I like that even when you have a terrible day you still somehow are motivated to do a million things. Inspiring :)

Janetha January 21, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Hi, Cat! GPP is my gym. It stands for General Physical Preparedness. It’s a different workout each day and trains the ten aspects of fitness: speed, power, agility, coordination, flexibility, balance, strength, stamina, endurance, and accuracy. You can read more here: http://gppfitness.com/what-is-gpp-fitness-display/

Cat January 22, 2013 at 6:07 am

Hey Janetha thanks for the reply. That gym looks awesome! It’s cool that they have a bunch of workouts on the website too. Thanks!

Janetha January 22, 2013 at 9:31 am

Yeah! Neil (the owner) posts the daily workout for free on the site. We have a TON of off site members who do the workouts remotely. He always posts instructional videos and is quick to answer questions in the comments section. It is best to follow along each day because the programming is designed to hit various parts of your body and aspects of fitness so you are balanced across the 6 days of the week.. so don’t just pick and choose workouts because you won’t get the same benefit :)