water & squatter (OHC check in).

by Janetha on January 9, 2013

in tips

hey guys! thanks for all the get-well-wishes regarding my treadmill tragedy. the wounds are feeling much better today, yay.

it’s been a VERY busy day. not only did i work my 8 hours at my day job, but also a couple hours working on the blend retreat website and working on the registration process. tomorrow night i will be posting information about the retreat venue, registration opening date and early bird pricing, and other fun details about blend! EXCITED!

i also made a little time to squeeze in my GPP. luckily today’s workout, water breaker, was a quick one. it took me a little under 14 minutes.. but those minutes were flipping intense. those power cleans and pull-ups were brutal, and the kettlebell swings were prescribed at a heavier weight than i am used to (since it was only 10 swings per round.) it was my first time with this workout, and have to say i am a fan of water breaker.

speaking of water.. i want to tell you about this week’s assignment for the optimal health challenge that i am participating in with my gym.

blank (1)

a little background—each week the participants are given a nutritional challenge, a fitness challenge, and a lifestyle challenge. the challenges are independent of each other and they change weekly.

the nutritional challenge this week is to drink at least 64 ounces of water, which is half a gallon. i typically drink way more than this, so that amount is not a challenge for me. instead, i am aiming to drink at least 100 ounces a day.

in our OHC meeting on saturday (when we were given our weekly assignments) my GPP trainer, lizz, explained three main reasons we want to drink enough water each day.

water2 (1)

pretty great reasons to drink up, right? plus, you’ll get more steps in with all those bathroom breaks.

the exercise challenge given to OHC participants this week is to properly learn the basics of a squat, the five cues, and why following each one is important. we had a 30-minute training session where the GPP trainers taught us all about squats, it was fun!

you know i am a HUGE fan of acronyms.. so when i saw this long one written on the board in the meeting last saturday, i got excited.

can anyone decipher it? no? here, let me help.

ONE

TWO

THREE

FOUR

FIVE

easy enough, right? those are the five cues to remember when executing a perfect squat. this week we are all practicing our form and have been instructed to do 1,000 perfect squats in our free time. i am halfway there with 500, so i better get squatting before saturday rolls around! i also have to submit a video of myself listing the five cues and performing a squat to be critiqued by the group. i haven’t done this yet, but will be soon.. i think this is a good idea because constructive criticism is a great way to learn!

like i mentioned above, there is also a lifestyle challenge each week to go along with the nutritional and fitness aspect. this week we have to (get to?) list one thing we are grateful for about OURSELVES. not gonna lie, it has been harder to come up with things about myself that i am grateful for rather than just something in general.  i have listed four things so far (for the four days this week):

• grateful for my thumbs (because, seriously, they are awesome.)
  • grateful for my love for and desire to cook (not everyone loves it!)
  • grateful for my ability to always take the higher road when faced with conflict (thanks for the lesson, momma b!)
  • grateful for my ability to laugh at myself (the treadmill mishap encouraged this one.. haha.)

i am excited to see what the next five weeks of the optimal health challenge brings. it’s a challenge unlike any that i have ever done because it is teaching me so much. not only will i learn more about nutrition and fitness in general, but also how the diet and exercise tweaks relate to me, my body, and my lifestyle. i know we will be experimenting with different food types and macronutrient distribution. i am anxious to see how my body responds to the different assignments.

if you are interested in doing the challenge (you can do it virtually and have the meeting videos emailed to you) then you can still sign up! there are 5 1/2 weeks left in the challenge so it’s not too late. plus, each week is different. you can use this form to get more info. and, in case you missed it, you can click here to see the orientation video to learn more about OHC. (note: i am not employed nor compensated by GPP. i paid to participate in the challenge and will be periodically blogging about my experience.)

well, that’s enough rambling for tonight. i have some squats to do and a little more water to drink. have a great night tonight and a fabulous day tomorrow!

1. how much water do you drink each day?

2. what is one thing you are grateful for about YOURSELF?

Julie January 9, 2013 at 8:12 pm

I have a 22 oz water bottle and drink from it at least 3-4 times per day not including my giant cup of green tea in the morning and 2 cups of tea at night. All in all, I think I drink my weight in ounces if not more.

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome January 9, 2013 at 8:27 pm

I usually drink a ton of water but realized the other day I haven’t been so good at it. So I’ve been carrying my water bottle around with me and drinking more tea since it’s freezing!
I’m grateful that I am the height that I am (5’10”) Sure, there’s sometimes I wish I were just a few inches shorter but then I’d have to work even harder to keep the pounds off my butt and thighs! It’s hereditary!
Oh, I’m so anxious about the Blend Retreat I can’t hardly stand it! I want to go so bad!

Danielle @ Truffles n' Treadmills January 9, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Those are great reasons to drink up! Some days I drink way more water than others but I’m not sure how much I really drink

Lindsey January 9, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Can you explain what the two numbers separated by / off the GPP work outs mean? Example kettle bell 35/53? Also is RX just a personal record? Thanks :)

Janetha January 9, 2013 at 10:09 pm

The smaller number is the Rx for women, the larger for men. Rx stands for prescribed.. meaning the prescribed weight to use for the workout. If you complete the workout exactly as written (as prescribed) then you get to claim “Rx”.. if you did more than prescribed, that is considered Rx+. Anything scaled back from what is written is not an Rx. But it is important to remember to do the workouts to your own ability and not to go balls to the wall just because you want to get an Rx. You have to work up to that! Hope this helps :)

momma b. January 9, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Happy to know you are healing well from your treadmill incident :-)

Thanks for posting the acronym – it was a pleasant surprise to see that I had it almost perfect!

I’m very excited to be able to participate in the Blend retreat this year hooray!!

Since I’m also doing OHC I’ve upped my water to 100 ounces or more (I’m usually closer to a gallon by bedtime)

I am grateful that I’m a good teacher.

I love you!!

xoxo

Lauren January 10, 2013 at 5:19 am

I have trying to drink a glass of water every hour, especially in the worst cold and flu season. I just heard on the news that staying hydrated is one of the number one ways to prevent illness this year. Just another reason to drink up!

Madison January 10, 2013 at 6:21 am

I drink probably atleast half a gallon every day! I can aim to drink more–especially when I travel. Also, I am grateful for my body handling all the stress I put on it and that I am ABLE to work out. :)

Erica January 10, 2013 at 6:50 am

I SO wish I could go to BLEND. Water=at least 80 oz a day

Laura @ RunningJunkie123 January 10, 2013 at 7:22 am

I drink a TON of water. I don’t know how many ounces it is but I always have a bottle of water and I’m always peeing clear. (TMI?) haha. It’s the only thing I drink besides coffee.

I am grateful that I am raising a beautiful 6 year old. She makes everything worth it:-)

Meghan @ After the Ivy League January 10, 2013 at 7:37 am

I’m grateful for being pretty self-aware. I’m not blind to my own faults, and I notice when something changes in my mindset or attitude, and try to fix it. And I think I drink a good amount of water (it’s all I drink, besides coffee) but I’ve never actually tracked it. Just refill my cup several times a day!

Katie January 10, 2013 at 7:40 am

I saw that acronym (can’t even type it out) on the gpp site and was thoroughly confused. Thanks for the breakdown!

Christina January 10, 2013 at 8:58 am

Love the squat tips, I can tell that I need to be more mindful of my form in the future. Will you post your video of your perfected squat form? It would really help to see someone I know do it properly. I’ve watched your video on proper rowing technique and its helped me so much! I used to hate the rower but I realized it was mostly just because my form was really really inefficient.

Janetha January 10, 2013 at 12:14 pm

I will after I film it, for sure! xo

sherice@foodieluvsfitness January 10, 2013 at 10:20 am

I always have my water bottle with me..it’s 24 oz and I usually drink 3 bottles or more.. I aim for half my body weight in H2O daily! My husband jokes that my water bottle and my Iphone are the 2 things I can’t live with out! He may or may not be right about that ;)

I’m grateful for my love of learning knew things. Education is power!

Annette@FitnessPerks January 10, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Love that they’re adding in education to the challenge! Way to go GPP!

That’s the main reason I love teaching Les Mills formats–they’re ALL about education & nailing the right cues in various moves to help people move correctly & better. If you don’t have the form & technique right, the results won’t come & there is high risk of injury. Education is POWER, baby!

P.s. when are we gonna hear about winners from Dedicated Dec? Just curious ;) xo

Janetha January 10, 2013 at 12:14 pm

I know, I know.. there are a LOT of entries to tally up. I haven’t had time yet!

Linz @ Itz Linz January 10, 2013 at 1:52 pm

I drink 4 cups during my morning workout, 2 cups during breakfast, 2 cups for lunch, 2 cups in the afternoon, and 2-4 cups for dinner and in the evening. So 12-14 cups a day.. whatever amount that adds up to!

Lisa January 10, 2013 at 2:14 pm

I try to drink at least 3 L of water a day. Sometimes I drink more, sometimes less. I love water, but I also love my coffee too. Those are definitely great tips to get people to drink more water! It’s definitely super important. I have a friend who says she can’t remember the last time she drank water from a glass. I think I’d die ha. I’m grateful that I have my family and friends surrounded around me and are always supporting my decisions (even if they suck at the time).

sara @ fitcupcaker January 10, 2013 at 4:26 pm

I take a big cup to work and fill it up as much as I can but I know I still dont drink enough. One of my resolutions was to drink more! (water)

Lindsay January 10, 2013 at 5:38 pm

I don’t have an excuse for not drinking enough water. I put it on my 2013 TO DO list so maybe if I set reminders for myself throughout the day to drink a cup it’ll help out!

BroccoliHut January 10, 2013 at 5:40 pm

One of my resolutions this year is to drink more water. I used to be so good about it, but that good habit somehow vanished throughout 2012. I like using an app on my phone to track my intake, so I can make an entry anywhere. As for the amount, I put on my dietitian hat and use the RDA method–1 milliliter of water per kcalorie consumed. That method gets to be a little harder if you don’t know how many Calories you eat, but I find it useful.

andrea January 10, 2013 at 8:50 pm

some days I’m lucky if I make it through my 24 oz. contigo but your post inspired me and I got to 96 oz. today. I am grateful that I have a good sense of humor.

Jordan January 14, 2013 at 8:40 pm

I am terrible at drinking water! I had a kidney stone last year and I swear it’s because I don’t drink enough. I’ve tried keeping a water bottle with me but I don’t sit at a desk where it is there all the time. I have to remember to take it with me all the time and I never do. Any tips would be welcomed! I always say that I am grateful for my husband, kids, etc. but this time it is about ME….I am grateful to be 34 and not have a single grey hair :)