just like the rest of the world, i love pinterest!
i love browsing and repinning everything from household tips to recipes to outfit ideas. i always have good intentions to actually put those pins to use in real life. that’s the whole point of having a virtual pinboard, right? so, i have been trying to make more of an effort to put those pins of mine into action.
to keep track of “keeper” pins, i created a board called “pinterest successes” and when i try something i saw on pinterest and it works out well, i move it from whatever board it was on to the success board. oh–and for those pins i try and they are a huge flop? they get deleted. although i should start sending things in to the blog pinterest fail.. it’s so funny to read about those failed attempts to recreate something seen on pinterest!
i thought it would be fun to share some of my pinterest successes as they happen. with that in mind, i’d like to introduce my new series: from pin to post!
my first pin to post is a recipe that had been on my savory eats board for months.
i originally saw this recipe for crock pot sweet potato bisque on katie’s blog last september and pinned it immediately. i bought the ingredients a few times, too, but never got around to making the bisque! i don’t know why i didn’t make it sooner.. this recipe is really so simple and SO good. we had it for dinner last night and i immediately moved the pin onto my pinterest successes board–it’s a keeper!
i did make a few modifications to the recipe which i have listed below.
crock pot chicken, cauliflower, and sweet potato bisque
adapted from yes, i want cake
active time: 20 minutes, cook time: 3 hours
yield: 6 servings
- 20 oz frozen cauliflower florets
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 24 oz vegetable broth
- 1 TB jarred minced garlic
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 8 oz nondairy milk
- 4 oz nondairy cream cheese
- 2 TB earth balance or other nondairy butter sub
- 1 TB trader joe’s 21 seasoning salute or other seasoning blend
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded (or 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts cooked and shredded)
- salt & pepper to taste
- garnishes: crumbled goat cheese, chopped green onion, and more salt & pepper
- combine cauliflower, sweet potatoes, yellow onion, broth, garlic, thyme, and red pepper flakes in a crock pot.
- cook on high until sweet potatoes are soft, about three hours.
- add milk, cream cheese, earth balance, and seasoning blend.
- use an immersion blender (or transfer to a food processor or blender) and blend until smooth.
- fold in chicken and season with salt and pepper.
- serve with goat cheese, green onion, and more salt & pepper to taste.
a few notes on my modifications..
*i tweaked the amount of cauliflower, potato, and broth mainly because the frozen cauliflower i had came in 10 oz bags.. so i used two bags.. which then made me up the amount of potato and broth.
*i can’t do dairy, so i subbed out the evaporated milk and cream cheese.
*i have found i can handle small amounts of goat cheese, though, which really upped the creamy factor of the bisque.
*i wanted to add a protein element so that’s where the chicken came in.
*i have a heavy hand with seasonings, so i added quite a bit of my very favorite seasoning.
i plugged my version into my nutrition label generator and was pleased with the stats!
a super creamy, dreamy bisque with that nutritional profile cannot be beat.
thanks for the amazing recipe, katie!
1. how often do you put your pinterest pins into action?
2. any pinterest fails or successes to share with the class?
xo. janetha g.