super long weekend for the win.

by Janetha on January 1, 2013

in fun with friends,love life,random rambles

happy new year!

i hope you have spent your first day of 2013 doing something fun, exciting, worthwhile, or all of the above. i have had an incredibly productive and busy day, but finally have a chance to sit down to blog before hitting the sack. it’s back to work tomorrow morning after a very long, relaxing weekend and i am afraid i won’t remember how to wake up on time. eek! better set nine alarms. not kidding.

lots has been going on these past four days! i definitely used the time off work to my advantage and packed in as much as i possibly could. i didn’t capture everything on camera–not even close–but i did snap a few photos here and there with my phone so i thought i’d share them with you tonight.

saturday afternoon i finally made it into acupuncture. it had been two weeks since my last appointment and my stomach had been hurting often. i was very eager to get into dr. ding for some much needed needle therapy!

IMG 3975

for those who have asked, when i get acupuncture there are needles in the top of my head, both of my ears, all over my abdomen, below my knees, and in my ankles. i lay with the needles in me for 45 minutes and doze off to dream land. it’s very relaxing! oh, and wouldn’t you know it, my stomach hasn’t had any pain since my appointment. this acupuncture thing is legit.

saturday night was spent in my living room with my little fam. marshall bought ted, we cracked open a bottle of wine given to us by marshall’s brother & his wife (along with some cute glasses!) and made some delicious homemade pizza. the pizza had marinara, prosciutto, marinated tomatoes and artichokes, olive tapinade, goat cheese, and mozzarella (on marshall’s 2/3 of the pie.) we always make our pizzas on whole foods multigrain pizza dough. it’s a buck ninety nine and cannot be beat.

IMG 4009

ted was hilarious–glad we finally took the time to watch it.

sunday was GLORIOUS because i slept in late and didn’t pull myself out of bed until 11 AM. remind me never to have children, because i realize this sort of thing can’t happen when you have kids. i did a half-assed attempt of getting ready (read: lulu wunder unders, uggs, and a hoodie) then met my friends mandy and nikki then headed to the mall. i wasn’t shopping for anything in particular, i was just tagging along for the sake of something to do. but i did end up with a few purchases.

i got a few things from sephora: an urban decay palette, mascara, and some tinted moisturizer.

IMG 4087

i also picked marshall up a pair of super cute diesels. he did let me take a photo of him modeling them, but i know as a fact he’d hate me if i posted it.

i decided to head to momma b’s sunday evening because i’m working on that whole 10,000 steps a day thing now that i have a fitbit. i was far from it, even with my trip to the mall, so i hit her treadmill for some walkin’ and game show network watchin’.

IMG 4049

i walked/jogged a couple miles and then took a trip down memory lane in my old bathroom.

IMG 4066

so, my parents have lived in their current house since i was in seventh grade and i realized they probably don’t go in my old bathroom too often. i came to this conclusion based on what i saw in the drawers.. i laughed to see some old products laying around. yeah, these gems have been in there for over a decade. no big deal.

IMG 4068

as you can see, i used to be a devoted cover girl fan. i also used to have -3.75 prescription contacts.. those were the days! now i am -5.25 in each eye. blindy over here.

IMG 4069

i got this towel in london when i studied abroad there in 2001.

IMG 4073

anyone remember these scents from victoria’s secret?! i was OBSESSED with both peach hyacinth and pear glace. wonder if they still exist??

that was a fun little flashback of my former years.

monday was the last day of 2012 and i spent it with food, fitness, friends, and fun.

i started my day with one of my absolute FAVORITE GPP workouts–3 bars of death. i set a new record for myself (and, from what i hear, a GPP record!) of 36.5 rounds! holy crap, it was intense. i am CERTAIN the reason i had the endurance to manage 36.5 rounds in 20 minutes was because i took onnit’s shroom tech sport beforehand. this little wonder drug does excellent things for a workout. i am SOLD.

after the workout i headed home, cleaned up, and headed right back out again for lunch with friends. we went to plates & palates in bountiful. it was my first time trying this restaurant (which is also a cute little kitchen supply store!) and i was very impressed!

IMG 4084

i had a half of an italian turkey panini, chips, and the most delicious lemon tarragon pasta salad which, surprisingly, was dairy free. after eating i browsed the selection of kitchen gadgets and walked away with a cool new pizza cutter since we make pizza at least once a week!

IMG 4086

after lunch i spent the afternoon making peanut butter cup cookies and six layer mexican dip (recipe coming tomorrow) for our new year’s eve shenanigans.  i had promised myself that i would fold ALL the laundry before the new year, so after my kitchen escapades i locked myself up with all this clean laundry…

IMG 3955

ugh.. gross. BUT, i did it. everything was folded, hung up, and put away before it was time to leave for our party! now i just have to keep a handle on things from here on out. wish me luck.

marshall and i headed to kristen and rory’s place for new year’s eve. it was just the four of us–well, and their three cute pups! we spent the evening drinking wine, eating lots of tasty food, playing apples to apples, and watching the ball drop. it was actually pretty rough for us to make it to midnight–we were tired!

IMG 4099IMG 4100

i was asleep before 1 AM and was happy about it. i am so over the crazy new year’s eve parties.

i was up bright and early to hit the 9:30 AM GPP new year’s day class. it was OTC 13 and my shoulders and hamstrings were hating life due to the DOMS from 3 bars of death. ouch. i powered through the workout and managed to claim an Rx–first for me. i usually have to drop the weight on those skull crushers, but not today. it was so fun working out with my friends again! i am going to miss going to the 9:30 class when i am back at work tomorrow.

IMG 4125

i hung around for the orientation for the GPP optimal health challenge. it’s a 6-week program designed for us all to reach or maintain our optimal health. the orientation was inspiring and i immediately ponied up $75 for the challenge. after all, you sometimes have to have skin in the game.  i will blog more about the challenge later this week!

the rest of today was filled with house cleaning and running errands. we hit up whole foods, bed bath & beyond, sprouts, and GNC. the highlight was picking up a cute new barbell for my rook piercing that looks a lot like this. we tried to go to trader joe’s on our way home, but (sadly) it was closed.  i was actually pleasantly surprised that the rest of the places we went were open!

now i am rambling, marshall is drawing, the dogs are sleeping, and i should get ready for bed. thanks for reading this long, drawn out post about nothing in particular. i always appreciate you coming back and reading my riffraff. love you all!

1. how did you spend your first day of the year?

2. what was the last movie you watched?

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries January 1, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Sounds like a great long weekend! Wouldn’t it be awesome if every weekend was a long one? ;) It’s amazing how much you can actually get done with an extra day or two thrown in there. Happy New Year!

Carly @ Snack Therapy January 1, 2013 at 9:51 pm

I spent my New Year’s Day relaxing… Some healthy meals, a good workout and lots of TV. Perfect! The last actual movie I watched was The Holiday (with my boyfriend- what a trooper!) but my whole family did watch Ted on Xmas… Totally appropriate Christmas movie, right?

Allison @ Train Eat Repeat January 1, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Just because of you, i am going to try acupuncture for my stomach problems! you have me excited to have some relief :)

Momma b January 1, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Oh man you crammed a lot into a few days! Memory lane in your bathroom baahaa AND all that old stuff…hmmm guess I’ve got some throwing out to do

Neil January 1, 2013 at 10:08 pm

36.5 rounds is SERIOUSLY legit. Our previous record was 34.3. Amazing effort. I gotta get me some of them shrooms! You had perfect form.

Momma b January 1, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Gosh my comment posted prematurely…
I’ll try to remember what I had written.

I slept in, worked out, folded ALL of our laundry and then saw Jack Reacher which was surprisingly good.
Now I’m also going to hit the sack.

I love your ramblings and I love you!

xo

Danielle @ Truffles n' Treadmills January 1, 2013 at 10:35 pm

That’s so funny they still have all that stuff in the bathroom! My first day of the year was spent with my boyfriend, his family, then my family, and a fun workout!

Ellen January 1, 2013 at 10:37 pm

I hiked up to the Hollywood sign, the view all the way to the ocean was amazing. Happy new year!

Audrey's Mamma January 2, 2013 at 12:37 am

I now have kids so had to get up early with them all weekend! No, seriously, I went home for a family party and found an old friend to run a new trail with. It only ended up being 4 miles but I loved it! I find myself looking for new trails to run when I travel now. That is so different!

Joy January 2, 2013 at 12:53 am

I spent the first day working out napping a little cleaning and walking

andrea January 2, 2013 at 4:53 am

I started the day off with my favorite guilty pleasure, IHOP pancakes, followed by Les Miserables which I didn’t enjoy very much.

MizFit January 2, 2013 at 5:48 am

DANG YOU ROCKED THE DAY.
Me? notsomuch :-)
although I did bring the child to the cirque movie…and it was horrible so theres that?

Erica January 2, 2013 at 5:59 am

Glad the acupuncture is helping! I’ve heard awesome things about it. I want to see Ted so bad. Looks hilarious and I love me some MM. First day of the year was spent catching up around the house and Kay and I went for a run.

Lauren January 2, 2013 at 6:03 am

Wow, what a fantastic long weekend! I love your recap. :) So glad you enjoyed your holiday and had a great mix of productivity and good times. :) Happy New Year love!

Tamara January 2, 2013 at 6:37 am

What a fun and action-packed weekend! I’ve been uber lazy, mainly because I’m sick with some kind of awful cold or maybe strep? Not sure what it is, but I did a lot of nothing all weekend and I’m still not better! Hoping to get to the doc today… We did manage to get over to some friends’ for a bit on NYE, but we came home just before midnight. Yesterday I watched an entire season of Party Down and, to answer your second question, Hancock.

I love acupuncture!

Happy New Year, J!!! <3

Janetha January 2, 2013 at 8:35 am

Oh no! I hope you get feeling better soon <3

Tamara January 3, 2013 at 7:50 am

Thanks so much! I do too! :D

betty January 2, 2013 at 6:52 am

i just ordered some onnit products monday!!! it should be here by friday! so stoked to use it!

glad acupuncture is working! and thats funny about the bathroom stuff.. my cabinets, in the bathroom my sister and i shared, have the same stuff in them from 2006.

new years day i slept until 1pm. we’ve been on the go for the last 2 months and it felt AMAZING to lay in bed and not worry about getting up and getting ready to do something.

last movie we watch was pitch perfect. the first movie i’ve actually bought in probably 3 years! love it.. such a good movie. i REALLY want to see ted.

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance January 2, 2013 at 7:51 am

I hosted a Good Luck Dinner on NYD–it’s tradition, and it’s one of my favorites! omg–I used to use the Victoria Secret body sprays all the time in the high school and college. But they would always discontinue my favorites, so eventually I moved on. The wine glasses in this post are adorable, btw. :)

the delicate place January 2, 2013 at 7:52 am

i actually got mustache glass markers that you stick on your wine glass so you know whose cup it is for xmas haha. i was in bed at 1am on new years eve and i slept for 11 hours…glorious!

i spent my new years day at the mall since i haven’t been there in 3 months and upgraded my phone to an iPhone 5 since my contract was up in december.

happy new year J!

last movie i watched was ‘never let me go’ and i cried. a lot at the end. a thinking movie for sure.

Melissa January 2, 2013 at 8:03 am

last year I helped my parents downsize (they are trying to sell their house) and I trashed a ton of my old stuff, I had some trips down memory lane too.

I used to have those fragrances from VS too! I have no idea if they still make them, I never even to go that part of the store anymore.

I wish I even had your current script! I am a -11 in both eyes!

Janetha January 2, 2013 at 8:34 am

ok, you totally win!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles January 2, 2013 at 8:24 am

I had a completely lazy day to start the New Year – I did a little bit of cleaning and cooking, but really spent most of the day watching TV/movies, reading and on the computer. Gonna enjoy it now before it’s back to school next week!
I saw Ted a couple of nights ago – it was a really good movie!

Corrie Anne January 2, 2013 at 8:50 am

Good times (except the laundry!). My suitcase still isn’t unpacked from our Christmas trip to Minnesota! Sigh. I celebrated NY with a champagne cupcake, and I watched ABC Family movies with my kid sister. My dogs are still recovering from traveling too – haha. I’m hearing some loud snoring!

Sara January 2, 2013 at 9:06 am

I spent the day at home and, embarrassingly, my mom and I got sucked into an America’s Next Top Model marathon. Who knew that was so engaging?! ;) ha!

kendra January 2, 2013 at 9:53 am

6 years ago I had PRK laser eye surgery with -9.5 in each eye. I am grateful every morning when I open my eyes and can see with out reaching for glasses.

New years day I woke before sunrise, unpacked the cabin my dog and I had been living in for 6 weeks. Drove south 2 hours to home. Put on my ipod and walked my dog along the frozen lake thinking about the adventures of 2012 and the uncharted territory of 2013.

I was going to see the Hobbit last night but we watched a 2005 Danish film at home instead called Adam’s Apples, I will watch anything with Mads Mickelsen!

Nicole C January 2, 2013 at 10:37 am

I really wanted to go to to a GPP class this past weekend but we opted out of going to Park City. Good thing, being sick for almost 2 weeks would not have been a successful workout. I haven’t done anything and it’s driving me bananas.

Anyhow, my first day I forced myself out of my house, washed my FJ, went to REI and got an awesome camelback backpack, made meatballs for dinner..and sadly I did my own welfare check on my Dad and his wife. They never not answer and my Dad had 2 surgeries so it freaked me out. All was ok but yikes..not a good new year start.
how did you spend your first day of the year?

I wanted to watch Ted after the shenanigans but we watched Looper instead. It was ok, with out sweet new TV the world is at out fingertips and renting movies is far too easy.

Janetha January 2, 2013 at 11:04 am

I loved Looper! We bought it the day it came out and watched it again. Yikes, hope your daddyo is OK. Also, yes, please come to SLC and GPP soon. And I will mail you treats soon! xo

Nicole C January 2, 2013 at 11:24 am

Thank you, I hope he is ok too. The man is bionic and now I am afraid his back/neck surgery count is 30+ :(

As for Looper, isn’t is amazing what a little caring can do for a kid?

Annette@FitnessPerks January 2, 2013 at 11:42 am

WHat an awesome long weekend you had! I think it’s awesome that you got so much done-plus had time for fun & workouts. Nice!

We make pizza a lot too. I kinda am craving some now….

Last movie we watched: Sahara. I think it’s so hilarious.

Bridget B. January 2, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Sounds like a great start to the new year! I recently convinced my fiance to watch the Disney movie, Brave. It was fantastic, in my opinion, but he was less than amazed. Haha. I visited Ireland earlier this year so that was a partial push for me. Also, there is a heroine (finally!) and I wanted to see what Disney could create as far as a strong, female lead.

Since yesterday was 1-1-13, I did a bit of everything: brunch with family, lots of resting, reading, a little Christmas clearance browsing, dinner with besties, and finally a little car cleaning…where I found $13 in an old work folder. Awesome day. :)

Lisa January 2, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I love the naked palette, one of my favorites from Sephora! And yah, acupuncture pretty much changed everything for me. It improved my anxiety, skin, digestion. Kind of unreal actually! It sounds like you had a really good long weekend! Happy New Year!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning January 2, 2013 at 1:40 pm

I love it all! :) I was getting acupuncture regularly for a while but haven’t been in over a month. It IS so relaxing- I never completely fall asleep but definitely feel like I’m in some crazy dream land!
So funny about the Cover Girl make-up- I had SO many of those compacts all over the place! The pouf thing would always get so gunky and gross. And I can not believe how much foundation I used to put on my face! I had a flashback just looking at that photo.
I NEED to see Ted!!
We spent New Year’s Day hiking and celebrating Greg’s birthday. It was low-key and pretty perfect! Happy New Year, love!! xoxo

Eric Redard January 2, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Hi Janetha:
Happy New Year! I found your blog about 5 days ago and haven’t left. I love the information you are sharing regards to meals. I love your recipes. I’m starting BFL and it’s very nice to have a resource like this. I’m going to be making the Breakfast Burritos, Stuffed Peppers, and Buffalo Chicken Pizza for starters. Making the pizza tonight for my daughter and myself.

Again, just wanted to stop in and say hi and thank you for sharing the information you do.

Happy New Year.

broccolihut January 2, 2013 at 6:29 pm

haha! i just spent the past week at my parents’ house,and my bathroom also has some very old products– SO much bath & body works stuff!

Lee January 2, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Ha! I used to be obsessed with that Pear Glace scent. I totally forgot about it!

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige January 3, 2013 at 9:24 am

omg I loved Ted! Hi-larious.
Sounds like a super awesome weekend :) Booo back to work.