some things for the new year.

by Janetha on December 31, 2012

in goals

hey, friends. hope you are enjoying the last little bit of 2012. you may have noticed i’m taking some time off from blogging–we all need a break sometimes. i’ll tell you what i’ve been up to another time.. today i wanted to stop in for a minute to post a few things i’d like to do in the new year. because, you know, nobody but me makes resolutions.

NewImage

in the past, i have made really specific resolutions, such as:

i just realized that my 2012 resolutions were no soda and no candy. i know i didn’t drink a drop of soda this year, but i definitely ate plenty of candy. whoops. guess that all or nothing rule got the best of me…

anyway, i am making a few goals for 2013 that aren’t quite as specific. but, not to worry, they are all things that will help make me a better person. that’s why we make resolutions to begin with, right?
Screen Shot 2012 12 31 at 3 46 40 PM

Screen Shot 2012 12 31 at 3 48 45 PM

i want EVERYONE to jump on board on this one. something i have noticed a lot lately–with myself and with others–is that when a compliment is given, the person receiving it (either myself or whoever i pay one to or witness one being paid to) is really quick to say something like, “thanks, but *insert reason compliment should not be given here*.”

it’s true–the majority of us have SUCH a hard time receiving a compliment! we can’t just graciously thank the complimenter and soak up the compliment and just feel good about ourselves. it’s sad that it is human nature to counteract a compliment with something negative about ourselves–but it’s a very real thing. now, if you aren’t guilty of doing this, then pat yourself on the back. i have been paying close attention to this sort of thing for about two months and, from my observations, i’ve noticed most people can’t just happily take the compliment. it’s weird! and i am guilty of it. so, from now on, it’s just “Thank You” when a compliment comes my way.

Screen Shot 2012 12 31 at 3 54 24 PM

learning new things is fun. it makes me feel good. i learned a lot in 2012. i hope to learn lots more in 2013. i won’t name specific things i want to learn, but i do have some in mind.

Screen Shot 2012 12 31 at 3 50 01 PM

laundry folding is the bane of my existence. truth be told, the reason i am posting this post right now is because i needed to take a break from the mountains of laundry i am in the middle of folding! i hate, hate, hate it. i really need to be better at not letting it get out of hand. that goes for other necessary household tasks like mopping the floor, dusting the furniture, and any other boring thing you can think of.

after 8 hours at work and a workout, the last thing i ever want to do is clean, but if i do a little each day it won’t be as overwhelming. i do NOT know how some of you have a job, have kiddos, have pets, and have a spotless house. i salute you. and i will strive to be more like you.. minus the kiddos part ;)

i also want to use this goal to help eliminate things i don’t use. getting rid of clothing, appliances, and other random household gadgets and knickknacks is something i need to focus on.

Screen Shot 2012 12 31 at 3 56 45 PM

so.. am i the only one that has a ton of stuff in the pantry and freezer that just never gets used? seriously, i will have cans and jars of this and that, but i will never use it.. then it expires.. and i throw it away. such a waste of money. i typically make a weekly meal plan on sunday and do all the ingredient shopping that same day, but i never consult my cupboards to see what meals make sense. in 2013, i want my meal plans to focus on using what i have, then buy more of what i need as i need it.

Screen Shot 2012 12 31 at 3 51 25 PM

this last one relates to the two before it–but i basically want to get rid of things in 2013. you can’t take stuff with you when you die, right? so i want to eliminate all of the STUFF i have just building up and collecting dust. i was lucky enough to inherit the pack rat gene, and i realize i should really get a handle on it. i love stuff, but i just don’t need it all. i hope to become more of a minimalist by the end of 2013.

well, now it’s in writing. those are my 2013 goals!

you may have noticed that i have nothing related to diet or fitness. it’s because i think these are things you should just always be working on. i don’t want to make a resolution to get in shape or eat right.. i just want to keep exercising regularly, making good food choices, getting enough sleep, drinking lots of water, and keeping up with healthy habits. it’s a lifestyle choice, not a resolution or a goal. there is no start and no end, it’s just something to always keep in mind and always be working hard at.

hope you all have a fun, safe, and happy new year’s eve!

P.S. don’t forget to log your final workouts of 2012 on the dedicated december page! i will announce the final two winners later this week!
Heather @ Better With Veggies December 31, 2012 at 4:45 pm

These are awesome resolutions – the best i’ve seen. I’m stealing that first one for myself, I always couch my responses with “but”. Happy New Year Janetha! :)

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles December 31, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Great resolutions – especially that first one! I know I definitely tend to add a “but” when receiving compliments, even though it’s absolutely not necessary.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 31, 2012 at 5:33 pm

I am so bad about taking compliments, I always feel so awkward. It’s something I’m constantly working to get better at but also always feel better to know I’m not the only one. ;)

lorie December 31, 2012 at 5:36 pm

I am not a resolution person, but I have never seen better ones than these. I love the first and am really going to spread that one around me. I have a handle on the laundry most of the time, but I am on board with you on purging (which I already have been doing) less stuff = freedom and less to clean. Blessings on you and your family for the new year. Your blog has been a blessing to read and I love that we do GPP together even though I am in Florida. Lori

momma b. December 31, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Perfect things to work on in 2013!! Thanks for not throwing me under the bus – however, I did “read between the lines”!!

I need to hop on the band wagon with you on the minimalist thing, hey we ought to see just how many bags and/or pounds of stuff we can donate to others this next year – we’re both always up for a new “challenge” right?!?

Love you so much and I’m so proud of all you accomplish – you inspire me to be a better momma b!!

Happy 2013 to you!!

xoxo

andrea December 31, 2012 at 7:16 pm

wow what a sweet mom you have…that’s such a blessing!

Allison December 31, 2012 at 8:51 pm

How do you define candy? Is a chocolate chip cookie candy? Or just strictly candy like a snickers or a Hershey kiss?

Janetha December 31, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Packaged candy :)

Sarah December 31, 2012 at 10:53 pm

I love your goals. I definitely am committed to minimizing so many things. It’s amazing how little we actually need. Love you!

RainStorm January 1, 2013 at 1:55 am

I am with you! Especially on learning to take a compliment (I tend to direct them sideways without even noticing) and minimising – I have too much clutter! Much too much!

Happy new year! x

Jennyb January 1, 2013 at 2:18 am

i used to be very guilty of the compliments thing but have got better. partly through confidence but also through conscious thinking.

Minimise is something i’d love to do! Any tips on this greatly received :)

Lauren January 1, 2013 at 6:51 am

I love your goals! Focusing meals around on-hand ingredients is a great one and one I’ve been working on myself. I always think I need to buy so much at the store, but since leaving my job this year and making major cutbacks in our grocery spending, I’ve gotten rather good at utilizing the ingredients I have on-hand. Happy New Year to you my dear friend!

Katie January 1, 2013 at 8:33 am

I love that ‘thank you’ resolution – I need to work on that too! Happy, happy to you my friend.

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables January 1, 2013 at 8:40 am

I love these!! I need to minimize and learn to say thank you to a compliment and that be it! I hope 2013 brings wonderful things for you friend!! Can’t wait for Blend 2013!!

Nicole G January 1, 2013 at 8:43 am

Super great resolutions! I am the worst at not accepting compliments. My friends call me out on it all the time. And, now I see my 7 year old daughter doing it too which makes me sad. Definitely going to work on it. I am really stoked about 2013. There are going to be so many changes in my life and the life of my family and we are really excited about it!!! I had to laugh at your wanting to get rid of stuff. I actually went to a resale place yesterday with a bag of clothes, sold all of it and then sold two more items on ebay. Love it! I am totally a minimalist, I hate stuff, but the husband is a pack-rat, we are working on it!

2013 is so exciting!! Maybe because the number 13 is my number, I don’t know but I have a great feeling about the year to come! Safe, happy, and healthy 2013 to all!

Carli January 1, 2013 at 9:17 am

You are seriously my hero for not drinking one drop of soda. Now I’m going to have to give it a go. :-)

I love making meals from on hand ingredients. I’m fairly decent at that but not at taking leftovers and making it into something new.

Have a wonderful January 1st!

Christina January 1, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I had the same problem with keeping a clean house until I found this cleaning calendar: http://pinterest.com/pin/31032684903788888/

Now I spend no more than about 20 minutes a day and my house is always super clean. Well if I could make myself fold my laundry right away that is ;)

http://tipsandpix.com/?p=76 there’s the original website in case Pinterest isn’t working

Janetha January 1, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Cool, thanks Christina!

Linz @ Itz Linz January 1, 2013 at 12:39 pm

i HATE throwing pantry and freezer stuff and any type of food away!! SO ANNOYING!!! and itz so important (yet so difficult) to just say THANK YOU when compliments fly… i completely understand – great resolution! :)

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome January 1, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Love these goals, especially the first one! I have to remind myself to only say thank you when getting a compliment all the time. I remember learning about this in a sociology class once that we are really the only culture that tends to do this. Interesting and a great goal to work on for everyone!

Maria January 1, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I love the idea of minimizing. The feeling I get when I take a garbage bag of stuff to Goodwill makes me so happy, but it is so difficult to keep at it. I have a hard time getting rid of sentimental items – especially things given to me by family – and they just keep adding up. I am going to suck it up and get rid of them, especially if they aren’t being used.

julie January 1, 2013 at 4:28 pm

dude – no candy is like a LEGIT big NYE resolution – that’s like saying for 2013 i will not breathe well not THAT dramatic but you get the point. yay for breaks! i love breaks and coming back refreshingly refreshed

Jessica January 1, 2013 at 7:00 pm

I love your 2013 resolutions. I’m hoping to be more frugal this year…meal planning, eating at home, cutting back on shopping, etc. I need to start saving my money for the important things like Blend Retreat! :)

Happy New Year! I hope 2013 brings you only wonderful things!

calee January 1, 2013 at 9:09 pm

I think you wrote my resolutions .

i never do resolutions but I am giving up dieting and making peace with food this year. might take longer than a year…

Jenn - Girl Heroes January 1, 2013 at 9:29 pm

I like your resolutions. I love learning new things too. I decided I want to FINALLY try and learn guitar this year and how to use my camera. I’ve already done the minimizing thing and it feels amazing. Happy New Year friend. Excited to see what this year has in store for you. xoxo

Trisha January 2, 2013 at 9:47 pm

Yep. This list could be my list. I’m horrible about giving compliments (I swear I think nice things, I just forget to vocalize them) and I’m especially awful at receiving them. I always have some stupid remark when I really just need to say “thank you”. I’m also the WORST when it comes to folding laundry. Our office is pretty much just a floor full of clean clothing at all times.

Tamara January 3, 2013 at 8:09 am

Minimize!! I love that. I need that. Great list all around, thanks, J! xoxo

Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen January 3, 2013 at 11:07 am

LOVE this post. I typically ‘hate’ resolutions because they generally involve diet and fitness which, as you stated so beautifully, are things I think should be continually maintained. Sure, we can have specific goals in mind for those (run a little farther, eat a little less peanut butter) but still, to me they are lifestyle constants.

Minimalism is probably my biggest goal right now as well. Pack rat syndrome runs in my family, and I am just overwhelmed with how much STUFF I acquire. Who needs this many pairs of jeans? (Me.) Why do I have a stack of gift bags when I can hardly ever even remember to buy people presents in the first place? And why am I saving all of these jars?

My pantry is similar. Oy.

All this to say….ditto.