look! it’s (not) nutella.

by Janetha on December 27, 2012

in recipes

last month i did a no-sugar-added challenge with my gym. we had to donate a dollar or a can of food for every time we slipped up by slipping sugar past our lips. my good friend, melissa, slipped up with some nutella, claiming it was her ONE weakness. i love nutella, too, but can’t even eat it now since it contains dairy.

i decided to make melissa a no-sugar-added-challenge-friendly nutella replacement: sugar free three ingredient dark chocolate hazelnut butter sweetened with stevia. yeah, yeah, i know.. long title. we can shorten it to homemade nutella, if you want, and you just make sure to note in your brain that it happens to be sugar free, stevia-sweetened, and just three ingredients, kay? deal.

homemade nutella

sugar free dark chocolate hazelnut butter
makes 16 ounces

ingredients:

• 12 oz hazelnuts, peeled and roasted
  • 3 TB dark cocoa powder
  • 2 TB stevia granules

directions:

1. if needed, peel and roast your hazelnuts. directions below.
  2. using a food processor or heavy-duty blender, process the hazelnuts into a paste.
  3. add cocoa powder and stevia and process further until the paste becomes a buttery consistency.
  4. add more cocoa powder and stevia to achieve desired flavor.
  5. if needed, add oil during processing.
  6. transfer to a jar and use however you wish!

Three Ingredient Sugar Free Dark Chocolate Hazelnut Butter

yep, that’s right.. the only ingredients in this buttery goodness are hazelnuts, dark cocoa powder, and stevia.

now, before i show you how i made the nut butter, i first have to show you how i prepped the hazelnuts. typically, hazelnuts come raw with their skins. or are the husks? i dunno.. you decide.

turns out getting rid of that skin is kiiind of a process, so if you can find roasted, skinned hazelnuts, i highly suggest you snag a bag of those. but, if you are like me and need to peel and roast them yourself, here is how. (i learned it from this link.)

first, for every 1/2 cup of nuts you are skinning, you will need 1.5 cups of water + 2 TB of baking soda. bring the water to a boil then add the nuts and baking soda.

boil the hazelnuts for three minutes, then transfer them to an ice bath.

next, use your fingers to remove the skins. they should come right off, but if you have 12 oz of nuts like i did.. it may take a minute or fifteen.

to roast them, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. spread the nuts on a baking sheet in one even layer and roast them for about ten minutes.

let them cool before making the hazelnut butter.

now that you have your hazelnuts ready for processing, the steps for the homemade nutella are simple!

place your nuts in a food processor, vitamix, or other nut-butter-making contraption of choice.

process the nuts until they become a thick paste.

add the stevia and cocoa powder while processing.

IMG_0017IMG_0186

it will take awhile, but the nuts will turn into a creamy, buttery vat of goodness.

taste your results and add more stevia or cocoa powder as needed. if you aren’t achieving the smooth texture you are after, you can always add a bit of oil to lube up the process. i highly suggest MCT oil

once you have reached your desired consistency and flavor, transfer the nut butter to a jar and enjoy however you wish!

promise, you won’t even miss the sugar or dairy that is in the real nutella.

1. what food(s) have you made a healthier alternative of?

2. what is your favorite type nut butter?

Trisha December 27, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Seriously, I love ALL nut butters.. but I do especially love homemade flavored butters. SO delectable! Problem is refraining from eating spoonful after spoonful after spoonful!!!

Tina @ Best Body Fitness December 27, 2012 at 5:56 pm

I do love me some Nutella!!! Right now I’m really, really, really loving Justin’s Vanilla. So good!

Lauren December 27, 2012 at 6:18 pm

I’ve been thinking of doing a no-sugar challenge myself. It’s not so much my weight that I’m concerned about, so much as my skin. I’ve been breaking out lately and I know it’s the excess sugar I’ve been eating this time of year. SUch a great recipe!

Karey @ Nutty About Health December 27, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Mmm, that looks pretty tasty! I don’t eat Nutella due to the obscene amounts of sugar in it. I prefer Justin’s Chocolate Hazelnut Butter as a good alternative, but I’d love to try your recipe out sometime! Thanks for sharing!! :)

tj December 27, 2012 at 6:59 pm

YUM!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles December 27, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Homemade nut butters are the main reason why I need a good food processor!

Joy December 27, 2012 at 7:08 pm

This recipe might be what makes me buy a food processor

Missy December 27, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Looks good – but I am shocked that you used stevia! Have your taste buds changed? Is this one you can tolerate? I hope you do more stevia recipes if that’s the case!!

Linz @ Itz Linz December 27, 2012 at 7:27 pm

oh my gosh that looks AMAZING!! my favorite nut butter is cashew butter!

Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More December 27, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Pretty sure I would eat that by the spoonful non-stop!

Sherice@foodieluvsfitness December 27, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Cashew butter is soooo good!!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats December 27, 2012 at 8:25 pm

This looks delicious! I just got a Vitamix for Christmas so I’ve been looking for some good nut butter recipes, I’ll have to make this!

Audrey's Mamma December 27, 2012 at 9:03 pm

This looks worth trying. The girls keep begging for “black peanut butter” like they get at play group. I keep reading the label and putting it back on the shelf.
We like to make homemade cream of soups using a basic roux and flavoring. Mushroom is the one used most often.

Janetha December 27, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Ohhh I would love to know your method for this. Now that I am off dairy I want to make a non-dairy “cream of” soup for casseroles.

Khushboo December 28, 2012 at 1:05 am

It’d probably be easier for me to list which nut butters I DON’T like (pistachio)! Ones which are high on the list are peanut (duh), almond and hazelnut! This sounds great, especially as I do love dark chocolate!

Chat 2 Friend December 28, 2012 at 1:26 am

Excellent tips & method about recipes, you have a wide range of indian recipes list available, helpful site – thanks
Indian Racipes

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva December 28, 2012 at 2:29 am

This looks so yummy!!! My favourite nut butter would have to be a tie between the old faithful chunky peanut butter and a new one I’m currently in love with: ABC (almond, brazil, cashew butter).

I’m planning on making a lower fat mushroom stroganoff soon (with some lean beef or maybe chicken). I bought this soy cooking milk that’s meant to be really good for savoury recipes so we’ll see how it turns out :)

coco December 28, 2012 at 4:48 am

this looks delicious! for next time, you can buy peeled skin chestnut in Asian stores. they come in packages ready to eat/blend. :)

Meghan @Health Continuum December 28, 2012 at 5:58 am

Making this ASAP!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 28, 2012 at 7:41 am

I KNEW I should have taken the leftover hazelnuts home from my mom’s house! Will have to go back and obtain them. :) I’ve never boiled them before, but love the idea. I bet that makes them super creamy!

Melissa B December 28, 2012 at 8:47 am

This was freaking good – everyone should make it! And i’m pretty sure it saved me like a billion calories! ha Thanks mucho! you are the best, for reals. one day (when i learn to be awesome) i will do something/make something amazeballs for you. PS. i just finished this off like 2 weeks ago – thanks for posting the recipe, maybe i’ll try to make it myself.

Mollie @Sprinkles of Life December 28, 2012 at 9:10 am

Mmmm, that looks yummy!
I made almond milk last week, next on the list is almond butter. Or maybe this! :)

Calee December 28, 2012 at 9:57 am

I’m glad you included the step to prep the hazelnuts. I’ve tried to make hazelnut butter before and failed miserably because I used raw nuts.

Carli December 28, 2012 at 10:35 am

Terrific! Thank you so much for sharing as I’d love to treat the kiddos without feeling guilty. :-)

jess T December 28, 2012 at 1:20 pm

This sounds awesome and I suddenly have an intense craving for some nutella! Sadly, i am currently in the bahamas and dont think i’ll be finding any here. You feel sorry for me, i’m sure :)

Alysa (InspiredRD) December 28, 2012 at 1:21 pm

You are amazing.

My favorite nut butter is Justin’s maple almond. Yummmmm.

Annette@FitnessPerks December 28, 2012 at 1:34 pm

MMmmm I love Nutella too. So this is perfect! Hazelnuts are the bomb diggity (my mom pretty much grew us up on ‘em with her being Swiss & all. Hah)

Lisa December 28, 2012 at 1:36 pm

It looks like a little bit of work, but holy worth it! Yum. This looks so excellent! I need more nut butter alternatives!

Bria @ West of Persia December 28, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Totally awesome. Note to self: buy hazelnuts.

amanda j December 29, 2012 at 4:36 pm

OMG, I think you’re a life saver!!!! I’m about to (try to) quit sugar in Jan, and I’m currently freaking out about my insane sweet tooth and my total addiction to chocolate. On that note, I know you did the sugar challenge a month or two ago – do you have any tips for us newbies out there? I’ve never ever ever tried to quit all sugar, and it’s pretty scary to think about.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 30, 2012 at 5:04 am

Yes!! that looks SO good!

Stephanie @ My Freckled Life January 8, 2013 at 10:48 am

Holy cow this looks amazing! And way easier than I thought it would be! This would make terrific small Christmas gifts for people! I definitely am going to have to test this out soon – Hazelnuts always used to intimidate me!