hello! happy wednesday-but-feels-like-monday evening to you!
it was a painstakingly long day for me today. i had to leave marshall, penny, and randy in bed this morning and venture to work in the snow storm. to make matters worse, my BFFs kerryne and amanda are off all week, so it was lonesome at the office. i know, i know.. pity party for one over here.
i got off work and headed home. i was greeted by a couple sweetie pies–penny and randy took the day off from daycare and were anxious to see me. i played with them for a bit–we got them this treat game for christmas and it’s fun to watch them figure it out. you hide treats under the movable tiles and they use their noses or paws to get the treats. randy was a natural and, after a minute, pen got the hang of it.
love his wrinkly brow.
i ventured back out in the snow storm to get to GPP for the 5 o’clock class. i was just thinking the other day about how we hadn’t been doing many burpees lately… and, sure enough, burp-o-rama shows up on the agenda. pretty sure that was a direct reading of my mind. burp-o-rama is 10 burpees EMOM (every minute on the minute) for twenty minutes. i finished up the last round for the entire minute, rounding out the workout with 210 burpees total. i was going to go home, but marshall was out getting tattooed and i let my friend amos talk me into staying for the 5:45 class for another round of twenty minutes of burpee fun. all in all i did 420 burpees tonight. (heh heh.. okay, yes, i still have the mind of a teenager sometimes.)
i came home and tried to remember how to make dinner. believe it or not, i hadn’t made a home-cooked dinner in over a week. bad wife. i decided to get crafty with my ingredients on hand and came up with something super delicious!
you know my go-to cuisine is mexican food, so it’s no surprise that tonight’s concoction was just that. i did put a new twist on things, though, and also tried a new-to-us side dish from trader joe’s.
mexican stuffed chicken with corn queso
makes two servings
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 25 minutes
- two boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 TB mexican-ish hummus (i like trader joe’s three layer–cilantro, jalepeno, and spicy! if you can’t find this, plain is fine.)
- 2 oz sliced olives
- 2 oz diced green chiles
- salt & pepper
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1 cup salsa
- 3/4 cup frozen roasted corn, defrosted (or regular if you can’t find roasted)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or colby jack cheese
- garnishes such as sliced avocado, sour cream, and hot sauce
- chimichurri or mexican rice (or other side dish of choice)
- preheat oven to 350* F.
- butterfly chicken breasts, leaving one side attached to form a pocket.
- layer 1 TB hummus, 1 oz olives, and 1 oz green chiles in each “pocket”.
- fold chicken breasts back together, using toothpicks to secure.
- season chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- heat an oven-safe skillet or dutch oven over medium heat.
- sear chicken breasts for about 3 minutes on each side.
- cover skillet or dutch oven and transfer to oven. bake for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- while chicken is cooking, prepare the corn queso. heat a saucepan over low heat.
- combine salsa, corn, and cheese in saucepan, stirring constantly until cheese has melted.
- add a dash or two of hot sauce to the queso if you like it a little spicy! keep the saucepan over low heat until ready to serve.
- prep your side dish–i used trader joe’s frozen chimichurri rice and heated it in the microwave.
- prep your garnish(es).
- remove chicken from oven.
- top each chicken breast with half of the corn queso, garnishes of choice, and a side of rice. enjoy!
this was REALLY good. like.. REALLY, REALLY good. the only thing it was missing (according to marshall) is black beans. i agree, i should have heated some up to serve alongside the rice. next time! (oh–and for those curious–the plate above was marshall’s. i just made my sauce with the salsa and roasted corn since i can’t have cheese. it was still delicious, just not cheesy!)
SO.. as the title implies, i have some winners to announce! here they are…
i also need to announce the winner of dedicated december week 3! the winner of the gymboss interval timer is rebecca!
congrats to all winners! there are still a few days of dedicated december left! the winner of week four will receive a thermos water bottle. the person who logs the MOST workouts in december will receive a $25 gift card to swanson vitamins. get those workouts logged today!
you still have until friday to enter giveaway #12: the onnit supplement pack. get on it!
mmmkay.. that’s all for tonight! check ya later, skaters.
what was the last home-cooked meal you made?
xo. janetha g.