three tip thursday [15].

by Janetha on December 6, 2012

in guest posts,tips

hey! i wrote a guest post for jessie. check it out. it’s about switching from gold’s gym to GPP.

super stoked about today’s tipper. she’s a pint-sized bundle of beautiful and i love her to the moon.

calee and i have been blog friends for awhile now. we actually became in-the-flesh-friends at blend retreat last may, and our friendship has grown since then.

she’s got a very creative eye, is crafty, athletic, and has GREAT taste in music. and great hair.

enjoy her tips!

Hi meals & moves peeps! I’m Calee (or chimes), the blogger, graphic designer, runner, craftster, foodie, and music snob, behind life + running.

I’m a long-time reader of meals & moves, and I had the chance to meet Janetha last May at Blend Retreat. And I assure you she’s as cool and sweet in person as she is on her blog.

1. Go outside. Bonus points if you unplug first.

Whether it’s crappy outside or 72° and sunny, I always feel better after I’ve been outside for a bit. Grab your running shoes, a book, a (furry or human) friend, a snow shovel — whatever it takes — just get outside and enjoy it for a bit every day.

Words can’t describe how relaxed I feel after an hour of being outside unattached to the digital world. As a blogger I feel the driving need to photograph and document every single thing I do. Nobody cares if you shoveled you driveway, and if you really feel the need to share it, shoot the “before” and “after”. Besides, who wants to risk dropping their smartphone in the snow?

2. Have a drink from time to time.

Sometimes we put too much emphasis on sticking to clean eating and being healthy that we forget that life’s got so much more to offer. We turn down invitations to restaurants with things that don’t fit our plan, or we skip out on things we really enjoy.

Unless you’re training for a major competition that requires your body to look or perform a certain way — lighten up! Have something you enjoy every once in a while … like a martini, a margarita, or even a piece of cake. I apply the 80/20 rule to just about everything, including eating. 80% of my eats are lean and clean and the other 20% is whatever I want. Including my fair share of martinis.

3. Don’t forget to stretch.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, flexibility is an important part of being fit.

A seriously unwise man once told me “You don’t need to stretch if you run every day.” Boy, was he wrong. I’ve had several injuries that could have been prevented by stretching.

Now, I like to do yoga after my runs to stretch and to get a bit of strength/balance training in at the same time. I discovered that the meditation involved in yoga has given me more patience to actually hold my stretches for the appropriate amount of time.

That’s it! Thanks for letting me take over your regularly scheduled meals and moves programming for the day.

-Calee

Janet December 6, 2012 at 6:23 pm

I love this post.

That is all.

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance December 6, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Great tips, Calee! I agree with them all–and appreciate the gentle reminder! :)

Brittany @Berries and Barbells December 6, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Awesome tips, especially the one about getting outside everyday! I’ve had many times when I was stuck inside all day and it really doesn’t help my mood. I love being outside.

Clare @ Fitting It All In December 6, 2012 at 7:05 pm

totally with you on the post-run yoga! It’s the only thing that forces me to relax AND stretch for a decent amount of time

Bria @ West of Persia December 6, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Awesome tips, Calee. I love them all, but the stretching tip is especially close to my Yoga-lovin’ heart. Bonus points if we stretch outside and have a martini after? ;-)

Calee December 6, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Definitely have a martini after. Before is not recommended. :)

Julie December 6, 2012 at 8:05 pm

These are awesome tips especially the drinking part. I’m going on vacation and will definitely be drinking since I rarely ever drink.

Ashley @ Freckles and Spice December 6, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Best face ever Calee!! And you are right Janetha – she does have great taste in music.
Miss you girls.
Oh and great post about stretching I got wayyy to many injuries in my running days from not stretching enough. Definitely need to spread the word of yoga and stretching it out regularly. Runners or not :)
cheers ladies

Calee December 6, 2012 at 9:12 pm

awwwww I miss you too!

Danielle December 6, 2012 at 8:53 pm

great tips. I really need to start incorporating more stretching into my workouts and set aside enough time for a good stretch

Calee December 6, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Thanks so much, j! Truth be told, I almost didn’t pick a bio photo for this post because I had a feeling you’d pull that one out … :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 6, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I can’t wait for more Blend! And cheers to #2. Post-competition, of course. ;) It also might help me with #3… loosen up before loosening up?

Corrie Anne December 6, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Love these! I think I learned my lesson about going outside this year — thanks to my dog, Pippa!! Still (sort of) working on the unplugging. :) Fun!

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva December 7, 2012 at 2:21 am

Love your tips Calee! Especially #2. I think this tip has come at just the right time as many people feel they should avoid the holiday sweets and treats to keep their body in check. But enjoying the company of others and the festive season is so much more important!!! We all need to let loose and not feel guilty about enjoying the finer things in life :)

Linz @ Itz Linz December 7, 2012 at 6:23 am

being outside always makes me feel better too! :)

kendra December 7, 2012 at 7:08 am

Thanks for the tip on meditation/yoga helping stretching. I get impatient with stretching and miss the benefits!

Calee December 7, 2012 at 7:37 am

Ditto. I’m so glad I went to some yoga classes because I never would have realized this benefit.

I do most of my runs outdoors, and since I work on and live by campus I’m usually surrounded by a lot of gawker passerbys, but I’m starting to be better about not letting that get to me while I’m yogacizing (TM janetha) outdoors in my silly winter running clothes.

Tamara December 7, 2012 at 8:08 am

Cute and smart, just like Janetha! Great post, Calee!

Calee December 7, 2012 at 10:24 am

thanks! I’m glad you think I’m smart just from one post … ;)

Tamara December 7, 2012 at 10:26 am

Sometimes you can tell right away. :D

Shaunna@mamas13minutemile December 7, 2012 at 8:41 am

I am a lover of both blogs! :)

Annette@FitnessPerks December 7, 2012 at 12:26 pm

GREATTTT tips!! I love going outside. MAjor boost.

Em (Wine and Butter) December 8, 2012 at 10:58 am

This is a wonderful post – sometimes its the most straightforward things we forget right!? I’d totally grab a margarita and a post run yoga session with Cassie :)

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning December 8, 2012 at 3:59 pm

YAY!! I LOVE these tips, Calee. And YOU! (and you too, J.)

Sarah December 8, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Fave 3 tip Thursday ever!!