hey, you! you ARE enough.

by Janetha on November 26, 2012

in deep thoughts

hi, guys! before i get to today’s post, i want to let you know about fitmixer’s sweet cyber monday sale on their next online boot camp! until 11 PM MST tonight, you fitmixer’s boot camp registration is $50 off making the final price $99.95! SO cheap. the boot camp starts january 14th. the registration includes an 8-week online boot camp with meal plans, daily workouts, and product to last you the full 8 weeks. you will also have unlimited online support, recipes, and weekly webcasts. to purchase, click here and enter the code CYBER50 at checkout. this is a KILLER deal! snag it while you can.

*************************

okay, i’ve got a little monday motivational message for you today.

saturday’s workout included bent rows AHAP—for those of you who are not acronym freaks like me, that stands for “as hard as possible”.  i was sharing a barbell with a couple of lady friends and we kept adding more and more weight onto the bar. it was hard. definitely as hard as possible. i was surprised when i finished my last set of rows at 125 pounds. i pushed myself past my comfort zone and was really working that AHAP 100%.

after the workout, i was sitting with one of my GPP friends, katie, and she was going on about how impressive it was that the three of us were lifting so heavy. she said something that really struck me: “i really need to be stronger.” i heard a twinge of disappointment in her voice, so i could tell she wasn’t impressed with her own efforts on the workout that day.

that statement sparked a thought and i had to tell her my feelings on the matter. i explained to katie my thoughts on the RPE scale and how it related to this workout. again, for the acronym-challenged, RPE stands for “rate of perceived exertion”. you can click the link for a detailed rundown on the scale, but basically it is a way to measure how hard you are working on a scale from 1 to 10. for an example—a 1 is sitting on the couch watching TV and a 10 is running from a bear as fast as you possibly can. let’s hope there are no bears around…

anyway, i told katie that i truly believe it DOES NOT matter how heavy the weight is that we are lifting. it’s just a number. all that matters is that we give it our all. obviously we all have different lifting capacities, and to compare the amount you are lifting to the amount of another isn’t fair. think about it—if a workout dictates to do something AHAP and you are lifting something that is honestly as hard as you can possibly lift and the person next to you is lifting something at about 75% of their maximum effort (even if it happens to be 25 pounds more than the weight you are lifting) then YOU are going to end up getting more benefit out of the exercise than the person not giving it their all. the actual number of pounds lifted DOES. NOT. MATTER. if you are giving it 100%, then you are giving it enough! you don’t need to be stronger. you need to be proud of your efforts! you ARE strong enough.

later that day i went to acupuncture. for my acupuncture appointments, i lay on a bed with 30+ needles poking into various parts of my body and i have 45 minutes to lay there patiently with no distractions. it has given me a whole lot of time to just think. and think. and think. saturday afternoon, my thoughts drifted back to the morning’s workout and the conversation i had with katie. i smiled, because i love this girl and i think she is so dedicated, diligent, focused, and just plain strong. she’s very inspirational to me, and she probably doesn’t even realize it because she is thinking about needing to be stronger. (and i hope you are reading, katie, because you need to be aware of the influence you have on me and on others!)

my thoughts about our conversation ended up snowballing into a much broader idea. and, i will warn you, this might get a little sappy.

i first thought about the phrase, “you are strong enough.” and then i thought of all the other areas of life where it is easy to think we are lacking, or to sell ourselves short, when in reality we really ARE enough.

how strong we are.

how pretty we look.

how much we know.

how nice others think we are.

how fast we can run.

how much we are worth—both literally and figuratively.

the list goes on…

there are way too many areas in life where we don’t give ourselves enough credit. being human is already enough of a challenge—we don’t need to make it harder by telling ourselves that we aren’t enough of this or that! the saying goes that you are your own worst enemy, and sadly, it’s often true.

so, today, i want you to remember something.

enough

[pinit]

don’t let anyone—especially not YOURSELF—make you think any different.

just give 100% of yourself to every thing you do each and every day, and i promise.. that will be enough. love yourself today, work hard, and love yourself even more tomorrow.

before i go, i want to share this motivational thought i came across some time ago. it is anonymous, but whoever wrote it sure knew what they were talking about. i love it. i hope you do, too.

[pinit]

this concludes today’s sap-filled episode on meals & moves. now go hug yourself. you could even get a little crazy and kiss yourself in the mirror.

Q~

what is one thing you absolutely love about yourself?

Julie November 26, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Great post and reminder! Acupuncture freaks me out – what if I fall asleep while the pins are in?!

I love that I give 100% no matter what I do and that I don’t do anything unless I love it, even if I do it alone. :)

Karey @ Nutty About Health November 26, 2012 at 5:21 pm

I agree, great post! We need to see more positivity like this in general… I definitely am my own worst enemy.

I love that I’m trying to follow my dreams & believe it’s important to love what you do for a career… I try to constantly follow that, even if it means a long, difficult road back through school again. It’s worth it & so am I. :)

corrie anne November 26, 2012 at 5:33 pm

That’s so true. I’m always tempted to think — I am soooo slow when I’m doing an amrap or for time workout. But I’m happy that I’m a very strong distance runner! Thanks for sharing.

Nicole C November 26, 2012 at 5:59 pm

I enjoy sappy episodes, it’s refreshing to stop and think for a moment.

It’s hard for me to admit love for myself, a process learned through fitmixer as well..but something I love about myself is how selfless and caring I am towards others. I love doing things for other people and in return it makes me smile.

momma b. November 26, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I have big giant crocodile tears dripping on my keyboard…….this one really tugged at my heart strings (what exactly are “heart strings”?)

Your insight is incredible, I so appreciate your ramblings on us not measuring ourselves against others – but the thing that really got the tears flowing was the motivational thought you shared…..absolutely perfect for this momma b today!!

I love my smile and the fact that I am a very tolerant person and have the ability to love unconditionally!!

I totally, absolutely, love, love, love you and your sweet sappy post!!

xoxo

Clare @ Fitting It All In November 26, 2012 at 7:24 pm

I love the random inspirational posts like that – we always need to hear it!

The Healthy Hostess November 26, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Love this. Needed it today.
You are the best!

Lauren November 26, 2012 at 8:01 pm

What a beautiful reminder. :) Love you lady!

karina November 26, 2012 at 9:04 pm

This post is so true! We need to just be happy! But I have to confess…the first thing it made me think of is SNL’s Stuart Smalley “I’m good enough, I’m smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!” haha

Janetha November 26, 2012 at 10:43 pm

I legit had that typed and I deleted it! LOL. Should have left it!

sarahf November 26, 2012 at 9:46 pm

So true! I love that I finished my first marathon at the weekend. I tokk 6h58 minutes, so made it to the goal with 2 minutes to spare before they closed it. I know that’s slow, and I plan to work on getting faster, because I know I can. I gave it my all (my ankles have been reminding me of that fact quite a bit!) and it was absoloutely enough!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles November 26, 2012 at 9:59 pm

I love inspirational posts like this! I love my dedication – whether it’s to school, my boyfriend, my friends, my workouts, my blog…if I decide something is worth it, I’m in it 100%.

Nicole @ Curly Mommy November 26, 2012 at 10:06 pm

First of all- what a great post.

Second of all, your mom’s comments always make me want to weep with happiness. So. Freaking. Cute.

This might not count, but I love how happy my children are. I believe they are that way as a result of their upbringing. Soooo, I love that I’ve made happy little babies :)

Kendra November 26, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Wow that’s actually a hard question to answer. It’s so much easier to think of the things I want to change or improve.

I’ve been described as a “self contained” person and I love that about my self.

MizFit November 27, 2012 at 3:48 am

I LOOOVE I CAN LAUGH AT MYSELF and do it daily.
your message here is something I strive to impart to my six year old EVERY DAY as well.

xo

BroccoliHut November 27, 2012 at 7:55 am

Great post!

betty November 27, 2012 at 8:09 am

omg.. im usually not a complete sap, but i just started tearing up at my office. i have been feeling completely out of for the last couple months. i have zero motivation to workout.. i hate the way i look.. and every other down thing you can think of has been running through my mind. i have nothing to be depressed about, but i feel like im just living with this dark cloud over my head and can figure out why its there.

i can say the one thing i love about myself, is my smile.

this post def. hit home today, thanks for being amazing!

Janetha November 27, 2012 at 9:13 am

Glad it could brighten your day! I love you! PLEASE send me your addressssss xo

betty November 27, 2012 at 9:22 am

i thought i had replied to the email, when you originally asked? maybe it didn’t go through.. sorry! 1875 fairpine dr, powhatan, va 23139

purelylori November 27, 2012 at 8:10 am

great words to remember on a daily basis :)
Janetha just what I needed to hear today, so thank you!!
xoxo

Shaunna@mamas13minutemile November 27, 2012 at 8:24 am

Totally making out with myself the next time I see a mirror. So needed this! Thanks :)

Tamara November 27, 2012 at 8:34 am

Seriously LOVE this post, J!!! I could not agree more. You rock!! <3

LG November 27, 2012 at 9:09 am

Something I love about myself is my physical health! I spent a weekend in bed a few months ago after simply standing up at work and pulling a tendon in my back. Worst. Pain. Ever. This made me realize just how many people have bad chronic back issues, to the extent that holding down a full-time job is difficult or impossible. Anyway, I have thought about this often when I’m tempted to throw a pity party, because I’m soooo thankful to God for the good health of my husband and myself!!! (And this coming from someone who has struggled with anorexia and over-exercise…my focus and outlook have changed and are changing so much.)

Melissa B November 27, 2012 at 9:33 am

You’re so awesome, I loved this post! Thanks for being my friend!

Linz @ Itz Linz November 27, 2012 at 9:55 am

great reminder!! i love that i LOVE to workout… i mean literally, i actually enjoy it and i love the way it makes me feel (and look, let’s be real). :) :)

Tina @ Best Body Fitness November 27, 2012 at 10:53 am

I, for one, love the sap and found this such a good message. Especially for this time of year when it can be easy to get wrapped up in things not truly worthy of our attention.

Annette@FitnessPerks November 27, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I love this post!!!

That last quote is fabulous. ANd so true.

I also find that when we realize we ARE enough, we are soooo much happier, and motivated to work on areas that we want to work on-b/c we want to, and not b/c we feel we HAVE to or must.

xo

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy November 28, 2012 at 11:33 pm

I needed this post today. Just feeling down in general. I need to get in the habit of saying personal mantras every morning to start my day off and then as the day goes and I start thinking negatively.

Lea @ Coffee and Greens November 29, 2012 at 9:25 pm

This post gave me warm fuzzies :)
We’re so hard on ourselves all the time and after a while it just starts to wear you down. I think we all need to be reminded that we’re awesome and we are good enough.

lindsay December 1, 2012 at 10:53 am

to be without dreams is to be without hope.. yes, amen. So dream big! Hope BIG! You are MORE than ENOUGH.

amanda j December 7, 2012 at 1:48 pm

janetha, you’re tops! I’m sharing this post with my ladies. (I’m a little late reading this post but tgif anyway!)