thanksgiving twenty twelve.

by Janetha on November 22, 2012

in dogs,family time,love life,meals,moves

today was good. this post is gonna be freakin’ long. it’s for posterity’s sake!

i kicked things off with one very intense workout at GPP along with a trillion of my closest, sweatiest friends.

NewImage
*workout pics taken from GPP’s facebook

that’s a whole lotta GPPeeps. we did a mash-up of some GPP classic workouts. the whole routine was appropriately dubbed “pie burn“.

it’s a rather lengthy routine, so you can click here to see the exact rundown. ay, ay, ay!

each mini-workout was sandwiched between a 5-minute stint of burp-o-rama.. 10 burpees every minute on the minute for five minutes. YAY, BURPEES.

NewImage

after the first five minutes of burpees, we got right down to business with rough boy squats. ouch. that burned for me! but nikki, my friend next to me there in the teal with the hot legs, holds the GPP squat hold record of 4 minutes…so i am sure this was a walk in the park. CRAZY TALK.  she’s amazing.

NewImage

after some plate switches and another round of burpees, we did a shortened version of the STAL medley=shoulders, triceps, abs, legs.

NewImageNewImage

haha–love this photo. we all look like dead bodies. colorful dead bodies.

NewImage

kenzie got down on the bacon lattice butternut squash pie during her triceps pushups.

NewImage

yeah. bacon. lattice. pie. court made it.. she’s got talent.

IMG 2991

it was such a fun morning! there was so much energy in the room (and sweat..) and it was great to see several faces that i rarely see due to going to GPP at different class times.

IMG 3008IMG 3006

i made a stop at starbucks on the way home. i found a drink that isn’t coffee that i looove–it’s a good replacement since i can’t have coffee right now. i get a soy latte with two chai tea bags (not chai tea concentrate) which makes it unsweetened.. tastes phenomenal.

once home, i made some quick cooking steel cut oats (picked those up at trader joe’s in september) and then marshall made them fancy with an apple cinnamon sugar garnish!

IMG 0074

tada!

IMG 0075

my bowl was a little less apple-licious, but he still did a fun and fancy job on the garnish.

IMG 0078

i used the next couple hours to make a sweet potato casserole and a green bean casserole–my two dinner assignments. isn’t the sweet potato one pretty? this was pre-broiler.

IMG 0079

we got to my parents’ house at 2 pm. it was a little dinner crowd this year–just my parents, marshall, me, and the pups!

IMG 0153

momma b still made a 22-pound turkey because we live for leftovers!

IMG 0096

dad carved, mom un-stuffed the stuffing.

IMG 0104

randy pants watched… and hoped for some turkey to fall into his mouth.

IMG 0115

my mom collects salt & pepper shakers.. i LOVE seeing which ones she busts out for the holidays. the mini pumpkins in the wagon made me squeal. i loooove little things.

IMG 0094IMG 0091

we sat down to a huge feast–it was perfect!

IMG 0092IMG 0106IMG 0108
IMG 0109IMG 0110IMG 0119

i started with a little of everything, but then went back for seconds, thirds, and fourths of stuffing. IT IS MY FAVORITE PART. and it’s stuffing, not dressing. dressing goes on your salad! got it?

IMG 0124

after dinner we immediately switched into lounge-mode. it didn’t take long for that to happen!

IMG 0131IMG 0132
IMG 0140IMG 0129

we needed to walk off a little of that full feeling, so we leashed up the pups and wandered down the road. marshall was a babe and stayed behind to clean some things up.

IMG 3028IMG 3029

randy walking randy.. (my dad’s name is randy. totally not planned, marshall had randy already when we started dating!)

IMG 3033

momma b walking penny.. (my mom’s name is sue, not penny, but how would that be if it was?)

IMG 3024

we spent the next few hours playing games–we picked a couple of our faves, boggle and rummikub.

IMG 0141IMG 3041

well, my mom and i played games. the guys and pups napped!

even though i was still super, super, SUPER full from stuffing (literally stuffed from stuffing, oh my hell) i made a little room for pumpkin pie with vanilla bean whipped cream. it’s a must on thanksgiving, right?

IMG 0163

yum. oh, and clearly i threw a little bit of the dairy restriction out the window today. although the majority of the meal was dairy-free! just the whipped cream and then some butter and a splash or two of milk in the various side dishes. and my stomach feels fine, score.

after the pie (and after i kicked my mom’s butt in both games–love you, mom!) we packed up a BUNCH of leftovers (we will be eating turkey for at least 2.5 weeks) and headed back home.

even though we didn’t get to see a lot of our family this year, it was still definitely a happy thanksgiving. i hope you had a lovely holiday, too!

lots of love from my little fam to you and yours.

IMG 0150

corrie anne November 22, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Yay! Love the Thanksgiving picture with the dogs. The S&P shakers are adorable. That’s a fun thing to collect! Glad you had a good one – we did too. :)

Janetha November 22, 2012 at 11:51 pm

My mom and I died over your family pic!! So cute.

Momma b November 22, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Ahem…..5 point win at Boggle and 4 at Rummikub is a far dry from “kicking my butt” baahaa!! But you did win fair and square…well except for that tiny little rule clarification :-)

It was a delicious meal all around. Thanks to Marshall for pre cleaning and for your help in the kitchen!

Missed my other kids, but it was good to talk to them today and know they were all well!!

I love you!

xo

Janetha November 22, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Ok, ok.. you’re right. Rematch :) LOVE YOU!!!!

Julie November 23, 2012 at 12:21 am

Happy Thanksgiving! You all look great at GPP!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 23, 2012 at 3:58 am

Looks like a great Thanksgiving!

My grandma used to collect salt and pepper shakers too. When she passed my parents got them all; I think we have those Turkeys on our table. ;)

Lindsay's List November 23, 2012 at 6:39 am

technically, you DID eat stuffing. Because it was stuffed in the bird. Dressing is something you make in a 13×9 pan, that has nothing to do with the turkey (except for bits and pieces of it thrown in to some recipes).
Dressing rules. Janetha drools.

Janetha November 23, 2012 at 9:37 am

We have that, too. It’s also called stuffing. Ever heard of stovetop dressing? No, you haven’t. It’s stovetop stuffing. Booyah

Tina @ Best Body Fitness November 23, 2012 at 6:43 am

Looks like a perfect holiday day. Time with friends (and what a killer way to start the day!). Time with loved ones. Time to relax and enjoy life. Glad you had a good one. PS – I would have to throw caution to the wind to have a little whipped cream with pie too.

Lindsay's List November 23, 2012 at 6:48 am

oh and i love you.

Lauren November 23, 2012 at 7:15 am

Looks like a beautiful holiday! And gorgeous weather! :) Glad you enjoyed such a wonderful Thanksgiving my dear. :)

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles November 23, 2012 at 7:16 am

I can’t even remember the last time I played a board game…I might have to challenge someone to Scrabble in the near future.

Glad you had a great Thanksgiving!

Karey @ Nutty About Health November 23, 2012 at 7:35 am

Looks like a great Thanksgiving! I love that you guys played games… we had to sit around & watch football at my husband’s uncles. Pretty boring, if you ask me, although most of the guys liked it. Love the family pic, so cute! :)

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance November 23, 2012 at 9:21 am

Your family pic at the end is adorable.

Also, thanks for all the links to the exercises you’re describing. That’s so helpful! And I’d like to add some of them into my routine–I have already started doing GPP burpees, but now I’m going to add the plate switches and rough boy squats. :)

julie November 23, 2012 at 11:46 am

hahaha i feel like thats a sea of lululemon! and colors but i spy a lot of lulu symbols..

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning November 23, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Okay, the GPP workout looks amazing!! I can not wait to come out there and do one!!
We had the exact same crowd for my Thanksgiving- me, Greg, my parents and our two pups! It was nice to have it be low-key and quiet. I have a crazy, big family with nieces and nephews, so when it’s ALL of us, there’s like 200 people. Well, maybe not 200. But at least 20!

The Delicate Place November 23, 2012 at 1:47 pm

your sweet potato casserole is so pretty! looks like you had a great thanksgiving! happy weekend :)

Lisa November 23, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Wow, the GPP workout looks SO cool! That is pretty awesome. What a fun Thanksgiving celebration! Glad you enjoyed the holiday!

Nicole November 23, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Your mom has such a great smile! :D What a great workout to start the day!! You EARNED that stuffing!

natasha November 23, 2012 at 3:23 pm

So the recipe for that stuffing by any chance? (: Please and thank you…(:

Neil November 23, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I thought the same thing when we were all laying there doing Supermans. It reminded me of a pic I saw of the Jim Jones mass suicide. Everyone lined up, face down. Eerie! Weird.

momma b is making that 22 lb turkey her b!@#ch

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner November 24, 2012 at 6:39 pm

I love playing Rummikub too! :D Have you ever tried Bananagrams or Imaginiff?

Betty November 25, 2012 at 12:51 am

Love the pics! EVERYTIME I see cute little s&p shakers I think of your mom. I was at pier one a couple weeks ago and saw tiny peas in a pod. The tiny made me think of you and the whole s&p aspect made me think of you!

Glad you had a great thanksgiving! Love you!

sarah @ sarah learns November 25, 2012 at 4:48 pm

awwww, i love that last family photo! :) happy thanksgiving a couple days late….

Sami November 26, 2012 at 9:52 am

PLEASE tell me where you got that adorable tank. It looks SO comfortable!

Janetha November 26, 2012 at 11:24 am