quick and easy weeknight dinner.

by Janetha on November 19, 2012

in meals,moves

friends, i am beat! it has been one loooong monday for me.

mondays are always extra sleepy because i have to be at work at 7 AM. i crammed a ton of work in today because it’s a short week. we also had a few meetings.. we didn’t even eat breakfast until 11:30! more like lunch, for sure. luckily i had my morning fruit and veggie juice to hold me over all morning–we all know i didn’t get to have any coffee to keep me going. sigh.

after the daily grind, i headed to the gym for the longest GPP workout of my life. yeesh.

Screen Shot 2012 11 19 at 8 35 46 PMsource: gppfit.com

this took me 44:03. funny that 45 minutes of working out seems LONG to me now days. i decided to partition it into four rounds, each round with 1/4 of the reps called for. not gonna lie, i almost lost it there during the third round of box jumps. glad i powered through it! my lovely sister in law, lindsay, came again today and pounded out three quarters of the workout like a champ. she’s so strong!

i didn’t want to mess with a labor-intensive dinner when i got home, so i recruited a few semi-homeade helpers.

IMG 0043

i found this spinach and kale ravioli at target. i bought it before my no-dairy restriction was put on me. i didn’t want it to go to waste! pick your battles.

first, i browned a pound of mild chicken sausage in a skillet. i broke up the chicken using this handy tool my mom and i found at gygi in SLC. love it.

IMG 0050IMG 0053

once the sausage was cooked through, i added a jar of marinara. i like the italian herb one from whole foods.

IMG 0056

meanwhile, i boiled the ravioli.

IMG 0055

for a side dish, i steamed some asparagus and tossed it in olive oil and sea salt.

IMG 0058IMG 0061

i baked some frozen garlic bread to serve alongside the meal, then dinner was served!

IMG 0071

simple and quick–sometimes it’s nice to take the easy way out.

that’s all for tonight–taking the easy way out with a short and sweet post. hope you all had a wonderful monday!

1. what was the last “semi-homemade” meal you made?

2. what is your favorite (non electric) kitchen gadget?

RainStorm November 19, 2012 at 10:38 pm

That looks yummy! Especially the asparagus :) I usually cook almost every night but I’ve been flu-y so it’s been a few days. Last thing I made was probably mac n cheese (from scratch). That was days ago!

I don’t think I have any exciting non-electrical kitchen gadgets. I do have a miniature frying pan (3″ across) which I use for frying an individual egg :)

Erica November 19, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Yayyy for semi homemade! My favorite cheat is to use pizza dough made by the super market. Favorite kitchen non electric kitchen tool? Spoonula!

Heather (Heather's Dish) November 19, 2012 at 10:58 pm

So yeah I didn’t do that workout today…I knew I didn’t have the time. Tomorrow though? Totally devoted!

I’m all about the whisk…I use it every day!

Lauren November 20, 2012 at 3:15 am

That looks great! Pasta is always such a great quick option, especially this time of year.

andrea November 20, 2012 at 5:34 am

everything i “make” is semi-homeade it’s sad but I do not like to cook therefore do not have a fav kitchen gadget.

Life's a Bowl November 20, 2012 at 6:37 am

Semi-homemade meals seem to have become a staple in our house lately… Tonight’s dish is chicken parm [using new-to-me naturally breaded chicken cutlets] in honor of my hubby’s bday :D

Calee November 20, 2012 at 7:03 am

I feel like a slacker. No dairy? I’m guessing this is a new development in the tummy troubles area?

Janetha November 20, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Yeah.. I started acupuncture and that was one of the guidelines–along with no coffee :(

Calee November 20, 2012 at 2:20 pm

ugh … sorry. hope acupuncture is worth it@

Lee November 20, 2012 at 7:15 am

I bought that ravioli at Costco a few months ago. I didn’t know they sold it in non-Costco sizes!

I had a semi-homemade dinner last night. It involved Trader Joe’s simmer sauce, pre-cut veggies and tofu.

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige November 20, 2012 at 7:47 am

Wait wait wait…TWO HUNDRED BOX JUMPS?! Mind=blown.

Janetha November 20, 2012 at 2:10 pm

LOL well i broke it up into 50-50-50-50… so not too bad. it was those dang 1000 jump ropes that held me up! need to practice

Corey @ When We Wander November 20, 2012 at 7:58 am

Mmmm that dinner looks delicious! I love throwing in veggies in with a pasta dish – especially good way to get picky eaters to eat their veggies when they are hidden with pasta sauce!

Katie November 20, 2012 at 8:31 am

Yeech. 45 minute of GPP is freaking FOREVER. Those box jumps would have done me in, too. I’m going to have to try that one.

Also, that meat browning tool is amazing.

Madi November 20, 2012 at 8:31 am

That’s such a pretty meal. Like I wouldn’t want to eat it because I’d just want to stare at it forever…ok you got me I would eat it, BUT I would definitely stare at it lovingly first!

kendra November 20, 2012 at 9:00 am

I just heated up thick oven fries my friends made last night. It was home made by them but the next morning it’s pre-made and delicious… or is it just ‘leftovers’?

My favorite non electric tool is a julienne peeler. It’s slender and silver like a vegetable peeler but strips off thin long strands like vermicelli. I use it every day on zucchini, celery, parsnips, beets and carrots.

Jory November 20, 2012 at 9:58 am

I try to cook from scratch as often as possible, but there are great semi-home made short-cuts too! Last night, I got home from yoga at 8:30 and threw together a saute of frozen spinach and onions, fresh tomatoes and mushrooms, some beans, and grilled sausage with some spices. It literally took 10 minutes and tasted delicious. In fact, I’m having left-overs for lunch today!

Annette@FitnessPerks November 20, 2012 at 11:54 am

I think that looks AWESOME. I definitely take the easy way out 3 nights a week at least. HAH :) But in my defense, we always have a nice salad.

the delicate place November 20, 2012 at 12:21 pm

the last semi homemade meal i had was tj’s eggplant and garlic spread over eggs and microwaved asparagus. done in 5mins! my fave non electric gadget is my peeler, i use that thing every day!

Lisa November 20, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Wow that’s a crazy workout! I’m intrigued though. That is a cool little tool! I try to bake from scratch often, but usually get lazy and just throw veggies in the oven to roast and cook up some eggs. Oops. Or I make a turkey chili that will last a while. Hope your tummy and gut issues are feeling better!

Ashley @ Freckles and Spice November 20, 2012 at 8:03 pm

love how green your plate is!!
my favorite non-electric kitchen gadget is my banana saver. which my roommate threw out with my banana during the hurricane…I need to find a new one.

Karey @ Nutty About Health November 20, 2012 at 8:40 pm

For a semi-easy meal, that meal sure looks great!! Does roasted a squash & filling it w/Chobani & Craisins count as cooking? If so, that’d be my last semi-homecooked meal. ;)

My fav kitchen gadget is that little strawberry stem puller thingy… can’t think of the name for it, but it rocks.

Sara @ sarasmiles November 26, 2012 at 1:59 pm

I was just thinking yesterday when I was making chili how grateful I am for my garlic crusher tool. Yes, I’m a huge cooking nerd, but it’s been the best non-electrical tool I’ve gotten yet!

Tracey November 27, 2012 at 7:12 am

You need to add a recipe section for quick n easy meals like this:) This looks so good!

Janetha November 27, 2012 at 9:12 am

Thank you for the suggestion, I will work on that!