overnight escape.

by Janetha on November 18, 2012

in eating out,fun with friends

hello and happy sunday! another weekend bites the dust. hope you made the most of yours–i know i did!

yesterday i swooped up amanda and kerryne and we headed up to park city for a little ladies’ escape! we started out at the tanger outlets for some shopping. my favorite store there is the food specialty store, harry & david–of course. i am such a food freak!

IMG 7577

i spotted some fun foodie finds.

IMG 7575 IMG 7576

i cheated and had a sample of this pumpkin pecan coffee… i am not supposed to have dairy or coffee, but i decided to break the law.

IMG 7581

after a couple hours of shopping, we headed to the westgate resort to check into our room.

IMG 7590

we decided we could probably move in for the winter and be OK with that.

IMG 7608IMG 7598IMG 7602
is anyone else obsessed with reading the hotel info book cover to cover? no? just me?

we were super hungry, so we ventured back out for dinner. after reading a bunch of restaurant reviews, we decided to try reef’s on main street. it is a mediterranean restaurant that has a menu that is ideal for sharing. the three of us are BIG sharers, so it was perfect.

we started out with the sampler plate, which included hummus, parsley tahini, babaghanouj, falafel, and pita bread. it was AMAZING–all of it!

IMG 7612IMG 7616

and a little pinot grigio to drink.

IMG 7611

we decided to share a couple of entrees: chicken schnitzel and crusted halibut.

IMG 7613IMG 7614IMG 7623IMG 7621

the schnitzel was just OK–kind of bland, to be honest. but the halibut was incredible! the bed vegetable quinoa it was served on may have been my favorite bite of the night.

after dinner we headed out to find some dessert. we ended up at java cow for some ice cream with a side of pajama pants that matched kerryne’s top.

IMG 7625

so, i cheated again and had some dairy.. whoops. i know, i am only hurting myself, i am well aware! i got a scoop of oreo in a cone.

IMG 7626

it was cold and rainy out and since we had just eaten ice cream we were extra chilled, so we got some warm drinks for the road. i got a chai tea even though i really wanted some coffee.. see, i am trying to follow the rules! i spotted a banksy on my way out..

IMG 7627

dope.

back at the hotel we hung out and watched a cheesy lifetime movie. i know, we are party animals! but it was fun to just get away from reality and zone out for the evening. the three of us piled in the king bed and called it a night!

this morning we got up and headed back to main street for some breakfast. we decided to go to the eating establishment. it’s the oldest full-service restaurant in park city and has been around since 1972!

IMG 7630

we were seated right by the fire, it was so cozy.  i had tea again–this time english breakfast with a little soy milk. i am trying to take this no coffee thing seriously! aside from the sample i had at harry & david, i haven’t had any coffee since tuesday. that’s pretty remarkable for me.

IMG 7636

the no dairy thing has been hard, too. especially the no CHEESE thing. i love cheese! i did manage to find a delicious breakfast sans dairy: the veggie benedict (sans hollandaise.)

IMG 7639

the benedict was amazing. the toasted english muffin was stacked with tomato, mushrooms, avocado, and basted eggs. perfection. no bite was left behind.

after breakfast it was time to head home, back to reality. it was such a fun little getaway for the night–i love these two ladies with all of my heart!

IMG 2934

i am laying low for now, i thought about going to the gym but nixed that idea because my throat feels a little sore. instead i am drinking some OJ and watching the packers game with marshall. i am also prowling pinterest for some dinner ideas for the week. after the game we are heading to my parents’ for dinner. vegetable beef soup and (utah) scones are on the menu–can’t wait!

hope you enjoy the last little bit of your sunday–thank goodness it’s a short work week this week!

1. what was the best thing you ate this weekend?

2. what would be the hardest food and/or beverage for you to give up?

Maria November 18, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Hold the bus! Is Blend happening at the Westgate? I honestly don’t care if it’s at Motel 6, because I want to be there regardless, but oh my gosh, that hotel looks amazing!

Janetha November 18, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Haha.. no.. it is not. It’s also not going to be at Motel 6, though. I can’t tell you where it will be, but it’s gonna be AMAZING. Promise!

Karey @ Nutty About Health November 18, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Yay, go Packers!! I’m watching the game too… my husband & I live in Oshkosh, but are from Green Bay area originally. Unfortunately, the Packers aren’t bringing it too much at the moment. Sad.
Anyway… sounds like you had a GREAT weekend! Don’t blame you for having some ice cream & a bit of coffee… they sounded worth it! Two of my fav’s, for sure!
Best thing I ate this weekend… Chinese takout for lunch today – Chicken & Broccoli w/white rice. Yum! Hardest things to food to give up would be PB or ice cream & hardest drink would be coffee. Really hope you get to have your coffee back again soon. Enjoy those Utah scones at dinner! :)

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance November 18, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Looks like such a fun weekend!!! Good times!

There is no way I could ever give up fruit. I don’t know how other people can cut fruit out of their diet, but I seriously couldn’t do it.

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles November 18, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Hardest food to give up? Man…probably peanut butter. I will be eternally grateful that I am not allergic, cause I’m pretty damn obsessed with the stuff.

Erica November 18, 2012 at 3:38 pm

What a fun trip! Gotta love girl time. The food all looks SO good! Especially the appetizer dips and the ice cream. Nom!

1. what was the best thing you ate this weekend?Honestly…I’m sick and so is Kay, so food has been lacking. I did have some yummy guac

2. what would be the hardest food and/or beverage for you to give up? I gave up coffee cold turkey for Kay. Not sure I could do it again ;). I couldn’t give up fruit or veggies, but I don’t think anyone would ask me to do that

Danielle November 18, 2012 at 3:39 pm

My dad’s family is from the middle east so we eat a lot of Mediterranean food. That restaurant sounds like one I would LOVE!

Also, the pumpkin pecan coffee sounds to die for! Looks like you girls are having fun checking out the hotel room :)

RainStorm November 18, 2012 at 3:47 pm

What a fabulous get away! Sometimes you just need thy little bit of time away with friends (and a spot of luxury).

Best thing I’ve eaten this weekend – savoy cabbage with pancetta and mashed potatoes – the side dishes for the main course at the wedding I was at yesterday.

I think giving up cheese would be horribly difficult. I once gave up drinking tea for Lent and that was really hard too – I guess drinking tea punctuates my day!

Kendra November 18, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Is that a real Banksy?!

Giving up coffee blows hard. I have in the past and consumed a lot of yerba mate tea in it’s place.

Best thing I ate this weekend was quinoa red lentil stew I made from Sarah Kramer’s book “Vegan A-Go-Go”. My boyfriend thought it was the best thing he ate this weekend too.

Janetha November 18, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Yep, real as real! Mmmm that sounds bomb.

julie November 18, 2012 at 4:42 pm

overnight girl escapes with friends are THE BESTTTTTTTTTT!! i just got so excited for that hahaha but for real i love them – and breakfast with girlfriends is always the cats meow. also i chuckled so hard out loud with that PJ pant action

natasha November 18, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Ha…I read the hotel info book too plus the local yellow pages (the community section etc). Nerds, we are (:

Doesn’t chai tea have dairy? Just askin’ since I never really had it.

Hmmmm…I think artificial sweeteners would be tough especially in gum and drinks. I’ve tried but I swear I have withdrawal.

Best food…this yummy carnival squash I steamed with some brussels sprouts sprinkled with some hot sauce and NoSalt!

That appetizer platter sounded outta this world!

Janetha November 18, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Just a chai tea bag. I think you’re thinking of a chai tea latte–which commonly has dairy but can be made with nondairy milk along with liquid chai tea concentrate

Tess @ Cross Country Cajun November 18, 2012 at 5:24 pm

I love girls’ weekends – they are definitely the best! Park City is going to be an awesome spot for Blend Retreat! Best thing I ate this weekend was delicious eggs in a basket this morning! Hardest drink to give up would most likely be fitmixer aminos – they’re my favorite drink. Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Meg November 18, 2012 at 5:46 pm

I totally read the hotel book cover to cover! I’m always afraid I will miss some awesome thing that’s included like “free s’mores every night at 8” or something wonderful like that! :)

The hardest thing for me to give up was Cheese! I was a cheese addict! Seriously! I don’t miss it anymore but the hardest thing for me now are eggs! All kinds! Poached, scrambled, deviled, egg salad, etc! Been a year and a half now without eggs or cheese

Elizabeth M. November 18, 2012 at 5:54 pm

I love Park City! We have some friends who have a condo up there, and it’s just lovely! Right at the base of Main Street.

As for the no coffee thing, I stopped drinking coffee at the beginning of November. Crazy! If you had asked me before what beverage would be the hardest beverage to give up would be I’d say coffee but it was just making me feel icky. You should hit up Teavana at City Creek. They have an AMAZING selection of loose leaf teas and I’ve been drinking their mate teas in the morning, and I haven’t missed coffee one bit! I’m a little obsessed :)

Janetha November 18, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Love Teavana! Don’t love the prices, haha

Elizabeth M. November 18, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Seriously! I have a tea budget now haha.

SuzanneU November 18, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Girls weekend is soup for the soul….

1. what was the best thing you ate this weekend? Thanksgiving dinner!!! My family does it the Saturday before the actual Thanksgiving. All my family got together so it made all the food taste a million times better. It is a fact.

2. what would be the hardest food and/or beverage for you to give up? Peanut butter. I have given up coffee and diet coke. No problem. Giving up peanut butter would guarantee death.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 18, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Love girls’ trips! And I totally read the hotel info book. John thinks I’m so so weird.

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries November 18, 2012 at 6:40 pm

An overnight escape is a must every once in awhile! Especially when it involves two of your best girlfriends! Coffee and dairy would be way hard for me to give up, so props to you girl. Peanut butter would be another one that be tough for me… I’d probably die. ;)

Clare @ Fitting It All In November 18, 2012 at 7:26 pm

how fun!
I do that the hotel room books too – thought I was the only one!

Tiffani @ Miles In Murray November 18, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Looks like you girls had so much fun!!

The hardest thing for me to give up is ice cream. The beverage is coffee. I did it once for a few weeks and hated every second of it!

Simone November 18, 2012 at 8:16 pm

my bf and I went on a date last night to this french bistro, I had the flank steak with the most amazing creamy buttery sauce, I honestly dreamt of it all night :)… the hardest thing for me to give up would weirdly be sweet potatoes… i’m oddly obsessed and can barely go a day without at least 1!

lindsay November 18, 2012 at 8:39 pm

next time come by and pick me up! you know i’ll have the wine.
;-)

well deserved night out with friends. <3

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish November 19, 2012 at 2:30 am

Janetha, you’re killing me with the food in this post! I’m still drooling over that hummus/parsley tahini/babaghanouj sampler plate…and macadamia nut-crusted fish is my FAVORITE. When I go to restaurants in Hawaii, I always order macadamia nut-crusted mahi mahi if it’s on the menu. So good.

It sounds like you had the ideal girl’s getaway! The last time I was in Park City was when I was five…I think I’m long overdue for a return. Meet me there sometime? ;)

The hardest food for me to give up: dairy. No question. It makes my stomach extremely angry but I eat it anyways. I just can’t go through life without ice cream and cheese!

Life's a Bowl November 19, 2012 at 6:23 am

Such a fun getaway! My girlfriends and I keep saying we need to do that and go somewhere for a night or two to get away from everything… So refreshing! And the picture of you 3 in the Lulu hoodies is so cute!

Elise November 19, 2012 at 9:05 am

There is another Banksy a little down Main Street. It is a little mouse on a planter. It was painted two years ago on a night that it snowed a lot so no one saw it until the spring.

Janetha November 19, 2012 at 10:21 am

love that!

Corey @ When We Wander November 19, 2012 at 9:47 am

Did you try that peanut butter and jelly bar??? I’m so curious to see how it tasted!! Looks like you had a great mini-vacation!

Janetha November 19, 2012 at 10:20 am

Nope, I bought it to put in Marshall’s stocking for Christmas… and then my dogs got it. #theyaremonsters

natalie@thesweetslife November 19, 2012 at 12:53 pm

i totally read every page of the hotel info book! :)

Annette@FitnessPerks November 19, 2012 at 4:27 pm

What a fun weekend getaway!! Sometimes those are just NEEDED with the ladies, ya know? I love shopping to get ‘away’ and outta my head for a bit. It’s kinda hilarious.

Nicole C November 19, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Well, I am in Pittsburgh until Saturday and a must here is to go to Quaker Steak and get chicken wings. That was probably my highlight.

Hardest thing to give up was once dr. Pepper but now, probably dark chocolate. Some days I just need it!

I think this is the first year in many I won’t be in park city for Christmas. So, Blend..if you buy a ticket does it include a room? I plan to make this happen but won’t need a place to stay..maybe I should just check out the website huh?

Janetha November 19, 2012 at 9:55 pm

It doesn’t include lodging! But it’s more fun if you stay on site :)

Ashley @ Freckles and Spice November 19, 2012 at 8:15 pm

How is that coffee??! I have yet to find a pumpkin one I really love.

I am so jeally you saw a banksy! Been kind of crazy about it since I saw Exit Through the Gift Shop.

Best thing I ate this weekend – amazingly rich, dark chocolate cake at my coffeeshop’s grand opening party.

Hardest to give up – thats hard…dairy would be hard – I love my yogurt, ice cream, and cheese.

Thanks for sharing your lovely weekend xoxo!

Teri [a foodie stays fit] November 19, 2012 at 9:01 pm

sigh. park city. so homesick now.

gluten has been the hardest to give up. it’s in EVERYTHING. it’s been harder for me than dairy. i cheat all the time.