some healthy questions. and answers.

by Janetha on November 16, 2012

in meals,questions answered

hey! thanks for the feedback on my acupuncture appointment and on my sad lemon situation. i took last night off from blogging partially because my hands hurt (i ripped them at the gym) and partially because i was so freaking tired of the computer! i worked until about 5:45 last night and the thought of looking at a computer when i got home made me cringe.

and now.. it is friday night.. which means most of you are out playing for the weekend and a few of you are reading blogs. i may as well take this moment to do one of my favorite mindless activities–fill out a survey! i stole this from paige a long time ago but never posted it. answering questions is fun. you know it’s true!

1. What did you eat for breakfast?

a scramble! sausage, eggs, peppers, chiles, onions, and mushrooms. also had a piece of sourdough toast on the side. the sourdough was from cowboy grub.. if you live in or around SLC, you gotta try that bread! so good!

IMG 2916

check out the other breakfasts from this week’s breakfast club after this survey!

2. How much water do you drink a day?

right now i have a goal to get at least 96 ounces in. some days are good, other days are not.. but i can definitely tell when i don’t hit my goal.

3. What is your current  favorite workout?

i currently go to GPP and there are so many GPP workouts that i love! they are different every day.

IMG 2773

some favorites are cardio tabata, leg shredder, and STAB medley.

4. How many calories do you eat a day?

i don’t count! if i had to guess, i would say around 1800.

5. What are your favorite healthy snacks?

lately i am loving honeycrisp apples with almond butter, carrots and celery with hummus, and PBJ rice cakes. i have also been guilty of eating homemade coconut butter straight from the jar every night.

IMG 2852

time to make more….

6. What do you usually eat for lunch?

most of the time it is leftovers! today i brought left over chicken and rice soup but, sadly, didn’t get around to eating it before i left the office early. if i don’t have leftovers, i will make a sandwich or a salad.

7. What is your favorite body part to strength train?

shoulders and legs.

8. What is your least favorite body part to strength train?

triceps… probably because they need the most work! i killed them in today’s wiped workout. i was legit wiped afterward!

9. What are your “bad” food cravings?

no such thing, right? but to play along… french fries with fry sauce (it’s a utah thing), my mom’s scones (also a utah thing), nielsen’s frozen custard (yep, another utah thing), and fresh baked cookies with whole milk. yum.

NewImage

THIS is a utah scone!

10. Do you take vitamins or supplements?

not at the moment. my acupuncturist asked that i cease all supplementation—even my daily multivitamin—just until he can get my colon in order. before, i was taking a mutlivitamin pack called lifepak that i had been planning to post on after thirty days of using it, but now that post is on hold. i also used to take fish oil, coQ10, calcium, and vitamin C.

11. How often do you eat out?

usually 5 times a week… and those are all consolidated into the weekend. i should probably cut back on that! but not just yet.. we are looking at yelp to see what we want for dinner tonight AND i plan to eat out for dinner in park city tomorrow and for breakfast sunday morning… so, uh, yeah.. three restaurant trips lined up for the weekend! i love eating out…

12. Do you eat fast food?

does chipotle or kneaders count as fast food? i eat at those places somewhat often.

13. Who is your biggest supporter?

momma b!

NewImage

14. Do you have a gym membership?

yep, at GPP and a groupon one to gold’s.

15. How many hours of sleep do you get a night?

around six if it’s a good night.

16. Do you have a “cheat” day?

no.. i cheat a little bit every day, though. so sue me.

17. Do you drink alcohol?

occasionally.

18. Do you have a workout buddy?

a bunch! i have a lot of friends at GPP that i love to work out with. i have to say melissa is my fave lifting buddy. she’s super strong and inspiring!

IMG 2407

some of my favorite GPPeeps!

19. What is the best thing that has changed about your life since committing to a healthy lifestyle?

i am happier with myself. i feel better inside and out–mentally, physically, emotionally, you name it.. it’s better.

20. What was the last healthy thing you did?

laughed at my husband. it’s healthy to laugh!

******************************

THE BREAKFAST CLUB!

here’s a recap of the breakfasts we made at work this week.

monday: pumpkin breakfast quinoa

IMG 2861

this was my first time eating quinoa in a sweet setting. it was super tasty, but the quinoa didn’t cook all the way through. we are going to try again with a recipe that calls for steaming the quinoa using a lid rather than constantly stirring it.

tuesday: baked ham & egg cups

IMG 2867IMG 2871

we used green chiles and onions as our mix-ins.

wednesday: french toast with strawberries

IMG 2890

love julian bakery’s sourdough bread! it’s sooo good!

thursday: almond flour pancakes

NewImage

these were incredible! i had some almond flour to use up, and kerryne just found this recipe with a quick google search. it was a winner! we did have to thin the batter a bit, though.

friday: see #1 above!

*********************

that’s all for tonight. have a great weekend!

Karey @ Nutty About Health November 16, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Love this survey! Glad you seem to be in better spirits today! :)

stephanie November 16, 2012 at 11:46 pm

I love your blog dearly and your honesty as well. One thing I happened to notice in all of your photos is that all of your food is on paper plates/bowls…are you two in need of some dishware or do you switch weeks of eating on paper and eating on dishes? I can’t say I’ve seen so much paper since a big family-friends bbq or something! It was really funny and I hope you laugh a little too! Have a wonderful weekend checking out some delicious new places. hmmm food!

Janetha November 17, 2012 at 10:38 am

Gahhhh I know, Stephanie! I pointed that out in an earlier post, I need to remember to take dishes to work to eat on. Thanks for the reminder. I will pack some up from my house for Monday. (All those photos on paper plates are the meals eaten at work. NOT at my house! We have plenty of dishes there.)

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 17, 2012 at 8:05 am

That breakfast club sure does make some tasty looking meals. Maybe I need to head your way to join. ;)

The Delicate Place November 17, 2012 at 9:51 am

so what is the difference between a normal scone and a utah scone..i bet you prob blogged about this but it’s saturday and i’m tired and need to be spoon fed info here :)

that’s really interesting about the ceasing of supplementation by the acupuncturist…i only take 1g fish oil, a calcium/vit D supp and probiotics. i assume i am meeting my needs in all other aspects through my diet so no multi. i wouldn’t feel comfortable without probiotics since i do not consume dairy and the calcium is critical for me as well bc i still haven’t had a natural period since last december after quitting BC even though my bloodwork is normal. our bodies are fascinating and frustrating at the same time!

Janetha November 17, 2012 at 10:41 am

A Utah scone is just fried dough! I think the rest of the world calls it fry bread.

Tina @ Best Body Fitness November 17, 2012 at 10:02 am

I am so repinning those egg and ham cups to make for a brunch in a few weeks. Thanks!

Erica November 17, 2012 at 10:44 am

Surveys are so fun! Adore your relationship with your Mom (I think I write this every time you post about her). I need to try a Utah scone. Hope you have a wonderful weekend

Emily November 17, 2012 at 3:00 pm

HOLY CRAP leg shredder. That looks like it would be daunting to do. Four sets of each exercise… man! Do you do it for time, or just at a workable pace? I love that GPP makes the workouts available online for anyone to do at home!

Janetha November 17, 2012 at 11:08 pm

That one is OTC so if you don’t have a trainer to count, you just want to go at a steady, challenging pace

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige November 17, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Ok this must have been a really long time ago because I don’t even remember this survey! LOL
And, now I’m hungry from those breakfast pictures :)

momma b. November 17, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Seriously I may just need to run into the workplace and have breakfast with you ladies! Well unless there’s a job opening :-) – but I think I have already asked about that before, haha!

Have a wonderful weekend!

I love you,

xo

Sierra November 17, 2012 at 6:47 pm

I made almond flour pancakes recently and I’m in love. I need to go get more SF syrup because I’m craving them again big time. I love the texture and the taste. Did you add something that made them look darker?

Janetha November 17, 2012 at 11:07 pm

No I think it’s cause we used almond meal instead of almond flour…it has the skin on the nuts still and is darker.

Annette@FitnessPerks November 17, 2012 at 9:09 pm

I love working my legs too! Wahoo! It’s such a good feeling–because it’s usually the most weight lifted too. I actually am beginning to like working triceps. I love diamond & triceps pushups. Probably b/c they hurt so much.

As for the quinoa, I simply dump in the 1 part quinoa, 2 parts water, put it on high & when it boils, turn the heat to simmer & cover it. After about 10-15 mins or so, you fluff it with a fork, and wahlah! It is SO easy.

Have fun in Park City!

Janetha November 17, 2012 at 11:02 pm

That’s exactly how I make it, too. I make it regularly for dinner, but never breakfast. I’m gonna play around with mix ins!

Life's a Bowl November 18, 2012 at 6:36 am

I hope you’re starting to feel better! Sliced sourdough bread sounds heavenly… My hubby and I went out for his birthday last night and they served warmed sourdough loaves = heavenly! Happy weekend girly, enjoy all of your dining adventures :)

Tiffani @ Miles In Murray November 18, 2012 at 7:41 pm

I love your Breakfast Club! I wish I had a setup at work that I could cook at work. I made almond flour pancakes to eat during the week and OMG they were so fantastic!! Can’t wait to see more :)