(keep your) chin up.

by Janetha on November 14, 2012

in humor,unfortunately

it’s no secret that i keep secrets. well, not necessarily secrets. i just don’t talk about every little last detail of my life here on meals & moves. promise, you should thank me for that. there’s a lot of behind the scenes riffraff that you don’t wanna read about.

but, because i don’t tell you ALL OF THE THINGS, you don’t know when i am in a down and out mood for a reason i choose to not disclose here on the blog. it happens. nobody has a life full of ups, obviously! when sharing our lives with the world, of course we focus on the ups. but there are most certainly several downs. that’s life, right? right. i share some of them, definitely, but not all of them.. mainly due to privacy concerns.

anyway, i have had a series of downs these past four months or so. life has been a little rough, but i always try to keep my chin up. sometimes it’s hard. i try to look on the bright side, to find the silver lining to every cloud, and to learn the lesson from every lemon.

yuck. lemons.

marshall and i are the not so proud owners of a lemon, complete with a not so shiny title loan. yay.

source

this is one of my recent downs that i CAN share with you. last week, we learned that the truck we bought is not exactly the gem we had hoped for. we bought it from  investment automotive group in centerville back in august. marshall traded his beloved subaru wrx in for a ford f350. it was a tough decision, but one that had to be made, since he needs a truck for work (he pulls a trailer.)

the truck had been doing a great job and running well… until now. fast forward to last week, the truck broke down. crap. he took it to a couple different ford dealerships and had the truck checked out and diagnosed. to make a VERY long story short, the truck needs a new engine.. which costs around ten thousand bucks. uhhh.. shit.

the truck was purchased as-is, but we were under the impression that it would run for, oh, more than three months after purchasing it. i decided to check out investment automotive group’s reviews online and it turns out they have a few pretty crappy reviews. hindsight is 20/20. so that’s what we are dealing with this week. not quite sure what path to take. we have a few options—all of which will cost quite a bit of money and none of which are too appealing.

we definitely have learned a lesson from this debacle! and while we were hesitant to buy a brand new car last week, we are now actually relieved because we know it won’t have problems that you can run into with a used vehicle.

life handed us a lemon, guys! and we bought it!

unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna' suck.
source via pinterest

whoops.

like i said, i like to look on the bright side and keep my chin up as best as i can. here are a few fun or funny things that made me smile recently amidst the crappy drama!

from thought catalog….

(i swear, it’s like thought catalog is living inside my BRAIN.)

from pinterest

haha for real
source via pinterest

Do this all the time!! Lol

source via pinterest

from someecards

busy busy busy

Sometimes I hate when people give me encouragement.  I feel like saying, "Shut up!!!  I know I can do it, I just don't want to."

and, since we are on the subject of chin ups (figuratively speaking) and this IS a fitness-related blog, i thought i might as well share a video i helped film about LITERAL chin ups. chin up progressions, to be exact. we did chin ups in yesterday’s workout and used this video to demonstrate alternate movements in order to get a chin up or in order to get MORE consecutive chin ups. i hope you find it useful!

source: gppfit.com

so.. that’s all for today. i’m gonna go hang out with my little family and keep my chin up. because at the end of the day, i have to remember one thing:

source via pinterest.

let’s be honest, it really could.

1. what is one hard lesson you have learned?

2. what is the last thing that made you smile and/or laugh?

Emily November 14, 2012 at 8:35 pm

I love that you reminded us that it can always get worse. SO F-ING TRUE!!! I try to remember this any time something annoys me or makes me upset. 99.999% of the time, it is something that means nothing in the grand scheme of things. I try hard to focus on all the good things in my life, and the things I have but am not always conscious of (health, opportunity to work, earn money, and go to professional school, having both parents around still, having friends I adore…)

I always revert back to Maya Angelou’s thing about not complaining. She says if you can change the situation, do that. If you can’t change it, change your attitude about it. Either way, don’t complain. Elizabeth Edwards: resilience is accepting your new reality, even though it may not be as good as the reality you had before. I love this post because it shows your resilience and general awesomeness.

Janetha November 14, 2012 at 8:45 pm

One of my favorite quotes! Didn’t know who’d said it. I ALWAYS repeat it: “If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change the way you think about it!”

xoxo

Tamara November 15, 2012 at 7:58 am

Agreed, that is an awesome quote and very effective!

Erica November 14, 2012 at 9:54 pm

I”m so sorry gal :(. Hang in there. Frank or Kaylin always find a way to make me laugh, no matter how mad/sad I am! I think its important to keep some aspects of your life pregnant. I’m amazed at some of the things people put up on their blogs! I guess to each their own

Janetha November 14, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Lol best typo ever :) love you!

Erica November 15, 2012 at 2:49 am

Haha was watching giuliana and bill as i typed that haha

SweatyGirl November 14, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Ugh! Sorry you have to deal with this.
10 years ago, I bought a brand spankin new adorable Volkswagen convertible, my first “big girl car”. I thought it would live forever! It lasted one year. It too, was a bitter, bitter lemon.
Sucks!!

RainStorm November 15, 2012 at 1:18 am

That’s a but rubbish about the truck :( I hate it when life throws these things at us. I totally get the “my blog doesn’t tell the whole story” thing – some people find it hard to understand that my blog is a part of my life (a carefully written and edited version). Life isn’t all rosy, but blogs shouldn’t be depressing all of the time :)

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli November 15, 2012 at 2:03 am

Damn girl, that really sucks about the truck! Gah, as much as I LOATHE the saying…hindsight really is 20/20! Good for you for keeping that gorgeous chin up. It takes a strong person to find the positive in situations that are beyond our control. I have had my fair share of hard lessons…my divorce topping the chart. That one taught me MANY hard lessons…one right after another…for over a year. But another saying that’s true? What doesn’t kill you, makes you stronger. Amen to THAT!

My friend Amanda over at Running with Spoons did a little compilation of Pinterest funnies the other day that had me rolling…you gotta check it out…I seriously couldn’t breathe by the time I made it to the end! http://www.runningwithspoons.com/2012/11/10/laughter-is-the-best-medicine/

Love you girl! xoxo

Alayne November 15, 2012 at 4:43 am

I like to focus on the things I am grateful for. I take a deep breath look at something in nature and try to breathe in white light as I think about what is good.
When that fails, there is always this quote :)

One of my favorite quotes when you are down.

“you can spend minutes, hours, days, weeks, or even months over analyzing a situation, trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could’ve, would’ve happened… or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.”
TUPAC

Jenn - Girl Heroes November 15, 2012 at 5:08 am

Sorry about your truck. That is a major bummer. (((hugs)))

Lauren November 15, 2012 at 7:10 am

Oh no! That is the worst feeling when you realize you spent money on something that fails you. I’m sorry girl. Things always look up though. :) Love you lots!

Tina @ Best Body Fitness November 15, 2012 at 7:32 am

And despite all the crap you’re dealing with you are such a dear friend to send me that bouquet! You are a gem, Janetha. Thank you for being so wonderful.

I’m sorry to hear about the cars! that is really not cool.

betty November 15, 2012 at 7:54 am

<3<3<3<3 good for you for being so positive. its a shame that the most genuine people are usually the ones that get the shit end of the stick. love you! you're still pretty and you still have a cute pups and a loving husband!

Amanda @ Romancing the Unusual November 15, 2012 at 7:56 am

Boo! So sorry to hear about your stressful few months. This is a big fear of mine when looking into get a car (and a payment!) :/ I hope it all gets better soon!

Tamara November 15, 2012 at 8:04 am

I hope the truck situation gets sorted soon, and that everything starts to look up for you. Life has its ups and downs, for sure. I try to take a very yin/yang approach, accepting both because they create balance and allow me to truly appreciate – and primarily focus on – the good things. Hugs and keep on rockin’, J!! xox

Kacy November 15, 2012 at 8:27 am

Thinking about you, love <3
This week's New Girl made me laugh last night. It's usually just an okay show to me, but they got it right this week. Also, this http://thoughtcatalog.com/2012/what-my-cat-thinks-every-time-i-bring-a-woman-home/

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance November 15, 2012 at 8:32 am

Well, the last thing that made me laugh (out loud, actually!) was the iPhone text you posted from Pinterest. Hilarious.

Hang in there!

Lynn November 15, 2012 at 9:11 am

Just have to say, you are awesome at chin ups! So jealous.

jessiker November 15, 2012 at 9:21 am

I let 3 parking tickets go unpaid and got a nice summons for $800. So $60 turned into $800. That sucked. I had no way out of it. Worst part is the husband got the tickets and forgot to pay them :) So I didn’t even know they were still floating out there. Oh well, such as life.

Buck up :) Can we go on a date this week?

Corey @ When We Wander November 15, 2012 at 9:25 am

Ohhh no :( I’m sorry to hear about your situation! Honestly – I think cars (and everything that goes along with them) suck!! But you’re so right – it could be worse. At least you and all your family are healthy!!!

Shaunna@mamas13minutemile November 15, 2012 at 9:31 am

Poo Poo on the truck troubles. Car/truck issues always seem to be so unsettling. Keep up the positive attitude :)

Karey @ Nutty About Health November 15, 2012 at 10:02 am

So sorry to hear about your truck troubles, that really sucks! At least you still have each other & your puppies. Hang in there!
A hard lesson that I have learned is that it is NOT easy to go back to school & to do it online sitting home alone all day… a person needs socialization. This is why I’m going to drive 2-1/2 hrs. each day this summer to physically go to campus. Lesson learned.
Last thing that made me smile was my cat sleeping UNDER her donut bed this morning. ;-) Thanks for the laughs above! I can relate to the first one from someecards… probably why I’m still on here! LOL

Nicole C November 15, 2012 at 10:24 am

Hard lesson: Don’t loan family money. Third time is the charm and I’m out oh about $2,000 now. Friends always have paid me back, family..not so much.

Last thing that made me smile/laugh..Duck Dynasty. Man, I love that show! Uncle Si cracks me up, jack!

I’d hate to say it and it could be because I am not a Ford fan but the engines suck when it comes to pulling things. I’m even more sad you guys had to be a victim of this. I have 2 half ton Dodge dullies at my house just for pulling stuff. I think Ben is on his way up to Utah right now, I could ask him to stop and check it out, for a real honest opinion.

Janetha November 15, 2012 at 11:04 am

Marshall is so bummed he bought a ford! The next one will be a dodge.

Nicole C November 15, 2012 at 11:12 am

Yeah, sorry Marshall! Ben has people call him all the time to broker car deals for them because he has such good contacts. He just got a brand new dodge and a hell of a deal out of Idaho. Since he moves cars all over the place he needed something reliable and man, it rides like a cadillac.

momma b. November 15, 2012 at 10:45 am

What a wonderful and honest post! Life always has bumps in the road, big hills to climb and huge pot holes — how we handle each one hopefully makes us stronger individuals and great examples to others. I am amazed at your resilience to bounce back, to stay calm, to think things through and to always have a smile on your face and be happy every day!

You continue to inspire me to be a better person, to complain less, to accept what I can’t change and to have a better attitude when crap comes flying at me, haha!

One hard lesson is that I do not have the power to change others – I can only change myself and my attitude!

Your cartoons and sayings above had more than a smile on my face!

I love you!

xoxo

Calee November 15, 2012 at 10:46 am

So you’re kind of the opposite of me. I share ALL my downers on my blog (maybe I should rename it to debbie downer + not-a-whole-lot of running). In fact, I have one scheduled for tomorrow. woo.

Sorry to hear about the lemon. I think your graphic that says “without sugar and water your lemonade is going to suck” is missing an important ingredient — vodka.

Janetha November 15, 2012 at 11:06 am

haha yesss vodka! f’real. i don’t mind sharing downer stories on my blog, but i have a lot that are personal to people other than myself–they don’t want have their lives broadcasted on the internet haha.

Calee November 15, 2012 at 11:09 am

Ooh, good call. I try not to do that too. I actually went through and deleted a bunch of College Boyfriend downer posts when I revamped my blog this year. He was pretty private.

I have a “super secret” blog that’s for my real downer stuff. Some of it makes it over to the public blog, but mostly it stays there between my 2-3 closest friends and Mark.

Annette@FitnessPerks November 15, 2012 at 11:32 am

Awwww girl. I am sorry! :( I am so bad about checking into reviews online too-so if it makes you feel any better, I’d probably have made the same mistake.

P.s. I LOVE that period iPhone chat. HAHAHHAHA.

And yes, things can get worse. And yes, we all have crappy things–thanks for helping us literally keep our chins up. You’re so real, and I LOVE it. xo

Melissa November 15, 2012 at 12:04 pm

:-( sucks that happened to ya’ll.

SAme thing happened to me a few years ago. The Mercedes I bought turned out to be a lemon :-( I finally found a place to trade it in, but I lost a ton of money.
And then the brand new car I bought has had issues since then. ugh, losing battle

Marie November 15, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Ughhh!! I’m so sorry to hear about that!

I’m guessing you’ve already confirmed that insurance won’t cover the new engine? I’ve heard of such things being covered, so it might be worth an inquiry if you haven’t checked already. Good luck.

Kait @ yogabeautylife November 15, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Sending lots of love…it seems that this has been a trying month for a lot of us. ::HUGS::*infinity.

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva November 15, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Janetha I’m so sorry to hear about your car conundrum!!! You are doing a great job of keeping your head up. It’s hard to talk about the downs in life, but they happen and we roll with them. Life isn’t all rainbows and butterflies. But if we can find a little thing that just makes us smile for a minute, then I call that a victory. I try and find a moment like that on days when I’m feeling a bit blue. It’s usually just something as simple as watching the sun rise in the morning or having a giggle at some funny pics on pinterest like you do! Thanks for the inspiration and keep on trucking (pun totally intended…)

Paige November 15, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Hope things start looking up for you, Janetha. You know I’m always here to chat if you want to! Thinking of ya, friend.
Also, love the pull up videos! You’re a natural ;)

Jillian @ Sprinkle Massacre November 15, 2012 at 6:56 pm

I totally feel you. I felt like I had so much negative to post about this week and as much as I try to omit that, some things just come out. And you’re right, shit could be worse. A lot worse!

Love the video! Nice chin ups! :)

Maren November 15, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Hang in there chick! Such a bummer… I am 100% a Ford girl at heart and so disappointed to hear something like this happened to you and your Ford! Here’s to hoping things only go up from here. XO

Neil November 15, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Let’s go burn that place down!

I didn’t give you enough credit for such a perfect chinup. My HELL! Strong chica …

Emily @ www.main-eats.com November 16, 2012 at 6:55 am

I’m so sorry to hear about your lemon! I sure do love your positive attitude and it’s a great reminder to everyone that things could be a whole lot worse! Hopefully the next few months are MUCH better!

lynn @ the actor's diet November 16, 2012 at 8:48 am

Honey, i’m so sorry to hear about the lemons in life. but you seem to be doing okay, despite the crap. if you want a laugh, watch my new web series Nice Girls Crew, which is online now! Here’s episode 1:

linds November 16, 2012 at 10:19 am

yup. chin up. shit could be a lot worse, but sometimes the stuff your dealing with can get you down and its ok to be bummed about it. and then move on. thanks for the reminder. oh and i missed you this morning.

Susan November 16, 2012 at 7:07 pm

LOVE YOU!! I wish I could easily pop down to Utah to give you a big hug and have drinks (or brunch?) with you and just bitch about life. Cause really, as positive as we try to stay, we sometimes need an old fashioned bitchfest to get it out of our systems.

Whenever I feel defeated, my mom reminds me that life is just plain hard. For whatever reason it comforts me. And really, without the hard times, we wouldn’t be able to recognize and appreciate the truly good and special times. Your good times are coming… things won’t be shitty forever. Life may be hard but it will give you a break eventually – you just gotta see it through!

xoxoxoxo