top ten from the weekend.

by Janetha on November 12, 2012

in eating out,fun with friends,random rambles

hey! whelp, here we are, sunday night again.

while i do have a few less than awesome things going on in my life right now, i prefer to focus on the good things–large and small. mostly small, now that i look at this list. it’s the little things, right??

so, in no particular order.. here are ten of the things i liked about the past 48 hours.

1. a dinner date.

marshall and i went to settebello for some pizza and beer last night. we’d never been, but momma b raved about the pizza. we got two kinds and shared.

IMG 2834
Capricciosa: Crushed Tomatoes, Prosciutto Cotto, Artichoke Hearts, Roasted Mushrooms, Olives, Mozzarella, Basil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil

IMG 2835
Filetto: Fresh Imported Buffalo Mozzarella, Cherry Tomato, Fresh Basil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil

marshall isn’t a fan of fro yo, bless his heart, but he loves me so he took me to orange leaf on the way home. i had a mix of pineapple, coconut, and original tart frozen yogurt topped with graham cracker crumbs and coconut shreds. yum. and i owe about $3 to the turkey day challenge jar for all those cheats. at least the money goes to the food bank!!

2. a surprise in the mail.

IMG 2831

nooo idea why i was lucky enough to receive this package, it came as a total surprise! but here’s a big thanks to larabar, food should taste good chips, justin’s nut butter, smartwool socks, little duck organics, and teatulia teas! can’t wait to use the fun things in this simple survival kit for the holidays.

3. sleeping in with randy as a neck warmer.

IMG 2839

sundays are sleep in days around this house. on saturday i try to wake up to make it to the gym (the last class is at 8:45) but on sunday, all bets are off. we slept a little past ten today and the only reason i finally got up was because i had to pee real bad. i made marshall come in and move randy off my neck because i didn’t want to be the bad guy. does anyone else let their pets rule their lives like this? i hope i am not the only one…

4. snow. yep, i love the snow.

IMG 2841

lots of people are pissed off that it snowed. i LOVE the snow. welcome, winter, come on into my life. i can’t wait to go snowboarding! oh, and this point on my list contradicts the next item of business and i really do not care… haha.

5. bitching about all the snow photos on instagram with my friends.

Screen Shot 2012 11 11 at 6 34 49 PM

i am the first to admit i am guilty of posting the obvious.. so don’t get offended over this one. i am pretty sure every one of my social media platforms were taken over by snow posts. 90% of the ones on instagram were from one of my bestestest friends.. you know who you are! <3

i didn’t really mind it, but then my friends and i got to talking about it in our 6-way texting conversation and it was rather entertaining and it became the subject of the day! well, next to the whole trying to convince mands to use a suppository for 30 solid minutes.. that was probably first place for topic of the day.

6. the christmas expo… minus the creepy dolls.

kerryne, amanda, and i went to the christmas expo friday night. i would say only about half the stuff there was christmas-related. the rest of the stuff was probably stuff you can find at EVERY expo, no matter what the theme is. these plaques made me laugh….

IMG 2821IMG 2822

there were some mega-creepy dolls at the expo. kerryne picked one up for her daughter.

NewImage

okay, okay.. nobody thought these were creepy except for me. what can i say? i don’t love dolls. i never had one growing up. in fact, i cried when i received a doll for my 4th birthday! i was weird. (still am.) i had stuffed cats and dogs. and i played restaurant. that explains a lot about me today, right? i have dogs instead of children and i love to cook. makes sense. at least marshall agrees with me on the doll thing, haha.

NewImage

7. linds coming to GPP again.

yay! no picture to prove it, but my SIL lindsay joined me for saturday morning GPP. she’s loving it. we did shape shifter which is actually one of my most-hated workouts. yuck. but it was fun to have here there doing it with me! she is gonna come again tomorrow… i hope the plate cleans don’t scare her off.

8. having a clean house and ALL the laundry being done.

enough said. marshall and i worked our butts off saturday afternoon and we are enjoying the results–let’s see how long we can keep this clean house, folded laundry thing up.

9. delivering dinner to mands.

my friend mands (her name is amanda but i already blog about my other friend amanda a lot so we will call her mands.. or mandy.. but she hates that!) had her uterus taken out so we delivered her some dinner on saturday night. i was in charge of the entree so i made white chicken enchiladas.

i also got her some really awesome legos to put together to help pass the time while recovering. she had that put together 2.2 seconds after we left and had a picture to prove it. dang.. guess it was not that great of a time-passer after all?

NewImage

*deleted part of this post because it made some people upset. turns out some inside jokes among friends should just be kept inside. sorry to offend.

10.  seeing skyfall.

NewImage

i liked it. aaaand daniel craig is sexy.

okay, there you go, ten totally random things i liked about my weekend. this post was all over the place. i will try to get it together by tomorrow. no promises, though. mondays can be rough! hope you have a wonderful one!!

1. what was one highlight from your weekend?

2. my friend nikki wants to know how effective it is to keep flour in the freezer. her mom taught her this and so she does it, but doesn’t know how big of a deal it is. anyone have some input? (haha.. she asked me to ask you guys! you guys know these things!)

RainStorm November 12, 2012 at 1:14 am

Those pizzas look yummy! I had a really nice weekend (including a trip to the posh cake shop), but my favourite part was probably vying a crazy furry purple hat :)

I have never heard of keeping flour in the freezer! I imagine you’d have to get it back to room temperature before cooking?! Although cold flour would be good for pastry making…

Lori November 12, 2012 at 6:20 am

MMMMMM, pizza….
Flour in the freezer will keep just fine. Make sure it is in a freezer bag so that no smells/flavors get in and make SURE to bring it up to room temp before you use it. The proteins in it get weird if you don’t. She can check that info with Cooks Illustrated for more details on the science behind it. (My food bible.)

Erica November 12, 2012 at 7:01 am

Dinner date <3 – Josh and I need a date night SO bad- not even funnY! That pizza looks fantastic. Dolls always freak me out. Highlight from my weekend? We had guests all weekend long staying with us

Lauren November 12, 2012 at 7:08 am

Goodness, so many great things from you this weekend. Thankfully, it didn’t snow here. You can have it all lady! :) And I still am dying to see Skyfall. I hear it’s definitely worth it.

Hope you have a great Monday love!

Lisa November 12, 2012 at 7:19 am

Whole grain flours should all be stored in the fridge or freezer, as they can go rancid easily at room temperature. If she is just using starches or all-purpose white flour, it isn’t required, however, it won’t hurt them. Just make sure they are at room temperature for yeast baking; everything else is fine if they are cold.

I hope your friends don’t mind you’re writing about their medical woes on your blog!

Janetha November 12, 2012 at 7:54 am

Thanks for the info! I passed it along. Also, haha, don’t worry… Mands was the first to read this post and she’s A-ok with it. I think my blog is a place to talk about medical conditions openly.. As demonstrated by all my guts and colon talk. That said, I’d never post something about a friend if they were not ok with it!

Kendra November 12, 2012 at 7:46 am

I spent my weekend digging a 7 foot deep x 4 foot wide x 12 foot long trench to expose part of my house foundation. The house is 80 years old and moisture has been a problem in the basement. Now I can seal up tie holes and apply damp proof to the wall. Then fill it all back in again.

The highlight came when friends showed up and exclaimed the impressive nature of my accomplishment. Deep in the trench it was hard to see how much I’d achieved.

Highlight of this morning was the dump of pow-daaa!

Sierra November 12, 2012 at 8:28 am

We ran into a college classmate in Chicago and had drinks…it was such a nice surprise. I also found an amazing Belgian bakery that’s dangerously close.

My mom keeps coffee in the freezer, but I have never heard of flour.

sarah @ sarah learns November 12, 2012 at 8:36 am

my weekend was so not fun. i had to work full-time at my part-time job last week (including 8 hours on saturday) and then i spent every other waking second preparing for my dissertation defense today. finishing that will be the highlight of my week/month/maybe even year!

Marie November 12, 2012 at 8:51 am

I keep my flour in the freezer and have ever since I found some bugs in our bag while they were in the pantry. They got into the nuts and rice, too. Gross. I showed my daughter the picture of you and Randy because she loves animals. She asked his name and then said, “I love Randy!”

Maren November 12, 2012 at 9:01 am

That pizza looks freakin awesome. Oh..the cheese! Melt in your mouth! Nate and I went on a date too! We went to sushi (it’s like pulling teeth to get him to go) and then to Skyfall! We both liked it, but didn’t think it was the best James Bond movie. And yes, Daniel Craig is fine.

Heather (Heather's Dish) November 12, 2012 at 10:00 am

no idea about the flour thing, but i reeeeeeeally want some of that pizza! my highlight was date night with my two guys – so fun!

Calee November 12, 2012 at 10:00 am

Three things:

1. STFU that pizza looks so good.
2. YIKES creepy dolls. Dolls creep me out anyway, but those are especially creepy.
3. And remember how I was all “It’s nearly 80° here!” on Saturday? Definitely 30° yesterday. Iowa, WTF?

purelylori November 12, 2012 at 11:55 am

one weekend highlight for me was going a family hike and seeing Jax play in a creek. simple yet makes me happy.

Caroline November 12, 2012 at 12:24 pm

That pizza looks delicious! This weekend was the most productive weekend I’ve had in awhile. I cooked meals for the entire week, worked out a few times, hung out with friends, cleaned, and read two books! It was great!!

Jory November 12, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I’d cheat on the Turkey Day Challenge for that pizza too – it looks completely worth it! My weekend was great too – yoga, lunch with a friend, and a trail race. Great weather on top of all that – can’t really ask for much more!

cathy November 12, 2012 at 1:02 pm

The highlight of my weekend was doing the Warrior Dash with my friend Michelle. It was intense, but great! :)

Janetha November 12, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Nice job! Congrats!

Annette@FitnessPerks November 12, 2012 at 1:11 pm

YAY pizza. Love that stuff.

I am the same with snow-=-it’s so pretty, but it makes me laugh that it’s all anyone talks about. Like it never snows EVERY SINGLE YEAR?!?! HAHAHA. I totally posted a snow pic too. #yesidid

Yay for working out with siblings! I get to once I leave on Friday–going home to see fam. CAN”T WAITTTTTTT

Kelly@LeafyNotBeefy November 12, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Yum, those pizzas!!! Love the snow (none here in PA, but it sure is pretty). You’ve been mentioned on my blog today. Have your dogs gotten into any protein bar stashes lately? ;)

~Kelly

Janetha November 12, 2012 at 3:21 pm

haha no, luckily not! the daycare keeps them in check ;)

cookie November 12, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I love snow! But it will be a while till we get some, it usually doesn’t snow before mid-december here, sometimes even January – if at all :(

Alysa (InspiredRD) November 12, 2012 at 2:43 pm

a. FSTG chocolate chips are YUM
b. Dolls creep me out too
c. I’ve been a bad blog friend (sorry)
d. Love that you list things you are thankful for
e. Migraine all weekend but thankful for cozy blanket and lots of rest
f. This list is way too long and I have no idea about freezer flour

Love ya

Janetha November 12, 2012 at 3:20 pm

:) BEST comment of the day! thanks, love

Claire@ Keeping Up With Claire November 12, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Those dolls would have made me pee my pants and run away screaming. That pizza looks amazing, and I wish I got your mail. That is all.

Sarah November 12, 2012 at 3:55 pm

I wanted to see Starfall but I’m watching High School Musical (again) instead. I love my kids. :)

I have no clue about the flour. Geesh.

Jentry Nielsen November 12, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Oh my goodness I LOVE settebello!!! I live in St. George now and always crave that place! How did you guys like it?!

I agree…those dolls are super creepy, I has to scroll down I really couldn’t take it anymore! ha

Tiffany November 12, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Why hello Capricciosa, nice to meet you. That looks absolutely divine and I may have to replicate that at home this week. Why dont guys like froyo? I just dont get it. I sometimes ask my bf to take me after dinner and even though he sometimes complains about it, I think he likes it.

We got snow on Saturday and I was so stoked–it’s gorgeous and I’m a freak (one of those people who loves the snow).

Highlight of this wknd–hmmmm—–getting today off for sure. I love bank holidays!

BroccoliHut November 12, 2012 at 6:28 pm

My dog Margot totally rules my life. In fact, I’m still stressing about yelling at her today when she escaped from the bath tub. She cowered in the closet for a solid hour afterward. I feel like such a terrible mother.
Highlight of the weekend was finally finishing up our move into the new house (yay!). As for the flour thing, I think it makes sense. Wheat flour definitely has natural oils in it that can go rancid if the flour isn’t used quickly enough.

ML Bishop November 12, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I have had the best luck storing flours in the fridge. Bob’s Red Mill always says it’s the best method for keeping flours fresh (and dry beans and grains too) and that’s where I initially got that tip. With the freezer, bad things happen like freezer burn and don’t get me started on what happens if the bag tears while in there and gets all over everything! :)

Betty November 12, 2012 at 8:09 pm

1. Boo for people being critical on YOUR blog.

2. Scout (and the other three) rule ours lives, as well! No suprise there..

Xo!

Nicole C November 12, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Highlight of the weekend was being in San Diego because its awesome here. Only problem is the delay getting home I am currently suffering through. Nothing quite like the whales vagina.

Meg November 12, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Ha! I was one of the snow instagrammers … But I restricted myself to only 1 post :)

Favorite part of the weekend was Salt City Sirens burlesque show at Bar Deluxe and then the football game at Poplar!

Life's a Bowl November 13, 2012 at 3:01 pm

My weekend included pizza [and pancakes and brownies, ha!] and Skyfall too- it was marvelousss! And dang, D. Craig is a hottie patottie!!!

jessiker November 15, 2012 at 9:43 am

Snow posts, FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I loved Skyfall, I only go to the theatre to see a movie like twice a year, and I’m glad we chose this one. Was super good.

jessiker November 15, 2012 at 9:44 am

Theatre… :/ At least I didn’t say “pictures”. What am I becoming?