fifty fall foods for fat loss.

by Janetha on November 12, 2012

in tips

hello! before diving into today’s topic, i want to mention two very important events.

event #1: susan’s auction! i am copying and pasting some of susan’s words for this one.

I’m Susie from Air Heart and I’m hosting an online auction from Nov. 14 to Nov. 16 on my blog.  All proceeds will go towards the Leukemia & Lymphoma society. I am almost one year into remission from lymphoma myself and am running a half marathon in Scotland to raise $6000 for this charity.  It is a ridiculously challenging undertaking for so soon out of treatment, but incredibly important to me.

Auction details:

Bidding opens Nov. 14 at 6am ET

Bidding closes Nov. 16 at 11pm ET.

Anyone (anywhere!) can bid by leaving a comment on the item’s page. Your comment should only contain the dollar amount of your bid.

CLICK HERE TO SEE ITEMS UP FOR BID

don’t forget to head to the auction starting this wednesday, the 14th!

***********************************************

event #2: foodie pen pals for sandy! do you ever participate in foodie pen pals? i have in the past, and i know many of you have too.. or at least have considered it. well, december’s foodie pen pals is going to be a bit different. let me copy and paste lindsay’s explanation!

FPP sandy Mark Your Calendars: Foodie Penpals for Charity

Instead of matching people up to send FPP packages in December, we’re going to use this group for good and raise some money for the victims of Hurricane Sandy. There are two ways you can get involved:

1) I will be setting up a paypal account to accept donations. Please consider donating the $15-$25 you would have spent on purchasing items and mailing your FPP package in December. Donations will be accepted from December 3-7th and I will make one big donation to a recovery organization in the name of Foodie Penpals at the end of the week. I’m still researching organizations. Some that i’ve looked at include Brooklyn Recovery Fund and Kids In Distressed Situations.

2) I’m in the process of searching for an organization that will be collecting holiday gifts for the people affected by this storm. With the holidays approaching, if you’re in the mood to shop instead of just donate money, I will try to provide an address that you can mail gifts to and encourage you to spend $15 to purchase some gifts and send them out so they can be distributed to families.

You guys, we have the power to make a huge difference here. Think about it. On average, there are about 1,000 participants per month. If we all donate the $15 we would have spent, that’s $15,000 right there. That’s HUGE. Let’s make a difference!

CLICK HERE TO FILL OUT THE PARTICIPATION FORM

***********************************************

okay, onto the post! guess what? i was cleaning out my post drafts folder and found this one that i meant to post… last fall. oh well! it’s fall again! so this still applies, right? right.

how’s that for alliteration?!

i saw an article on shape that listed the “top” fifty fall foods that support weight loss:

1. apples
  45. frisee
  46. moose
  47. duck
  48. goose
  49. goat meat
  50. stone crab

what do you think of this list? do you consume very many of these foods?

i consume the majority of them regularly—or i have at least tried them at some point.  however, i have never tried venison, moose, goose or goat meat and don’t have a burning desire to do so. there were four other items on the list that i have never tried but am intrigued by and would like to try.. some i had never even heard of!

runner beans.

from the article:

These filling and protein-rich beans are low in fat and high in fiber, DeFazio says. “One of the main pitfalls with low-calorie diets is that you’re constantly hungry. By eating foods like beans, which also contain protein, you’ll feel fuller eating smaller portions.” (One note of caution: Runner beans should not be eaten raw, as they contain a chemical called lectin phytohemagglutinin, a toxin that creates a clumping effect on the red cells in your blood. Be sure to cook them thoroughly before eating).

broccoli raabe.

from the article:

“Though not as bushy and dense as broccoli (it’s ruffled leaves hold tiny little florets), it is just as nutritionally sound,” says Lauren O’Connor, a registered dietitian and owner of Nutri Savvy in Los Angeles. “A great source of antioxidant vitamins A and C, it also provides folate, calcium, potassium, and fiber for only 22 calories per cup, making it a great low calorie way to bulk up your meals.” Try it in an omelet or in this delicious farfalle pasta dish.

quinces.

from the article:

Related to apples and pears, quinces (pronounced ‘kwins’) are a golden yellow, broad pome fruit loaded with vitamin C, dietary fiber, copper, antioxidants, and pectin, which aids in controlling digestion and improving your blood sugar level, Batayneh says. Because of their sour flavor, you won’t want to eat these right off the tree. Try them in jams and jellies, or dice half of one into a homemade apple pie to enhance it’s flavor. (Waistline bonus: adding bitter flavors to desserts can help bring out their sweetness, which could help you eat less).

elderberries.

from the article:

These purplish-black berries are loaded with potassium, which can help reduce blood pressure and keep you going strong during your workouts. They may even help you reduce belly fat: “animal studies have shown that a compound found in elderberries may be beneficial for reducing body weight, particularly abdominal fat,” Newgent says. “Look for elderberry jam and spread it on toast instead of butter.”

can you guess which two i had never heard of? runner beans and quinces. i wonder if i could find either of these near me? i am going to look around!

1. are there any items on the list of fifty that you have never tried?

2. what item(s) on the list do you eat regularly?

Natalie @ will jog for food November 12, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I have actually tried Moose (a little random that it’s on there), kind of accidentally. My Cuban family had a big dinner, and my cousin made piccadillo (a ground beef dish). After we ate he announced, “this was made with the moose I shot last week in Alaska”. It basically tasted like bland beef. Don’t think I would eat it again though.

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean November 12, 2012 at 6:48 pm

thanks for helping to spread the word!!

Lauren November 12, 2012 at 7:29 pm

While I’ve heard and eat a lot of the items on the list, I have to say, I’m quite surprised that goose made the list. I don’t think I’ve ever had (nor expect to ever have) goose in my life.

Kammie @ Sensual Appeal November 12, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Awesome list, thanks for sharing. I don’t eat everyhting on the list but I did just have a pear :)

jodie November 12, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I grew runner beans. They taste a lot like green beans. Ive had most on the list! No moose or goat meat though!

The Delicate Place November 12, 2012 at 8:03 pm

i have actually had every item on that list except for oat bran, moose, and goose! i eat most of the list very regularly except for the goat which i don’t really care for much. however, venison is SO delicious, it’s one of my favorites and i go to this place for foraged edibles and local meats…super cool: http://www.wildpurveyors.com/

elise November 12, 2012 at 9:16 pm

gotta get on the gulf flounder.

Corrie Anne November 12, 2012 at 11:40 pm

Those quinces look good! I think 1-12 is my sweet spot… although I recently started eating bok choy. However, I don’t tend to branch out to the unusual meats.

April November 12, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Is that you in the GPP workout video on chin-ups? Wow, amazing strength! I just had goat last week at a fancy restaurant. They mixed it with pork and served it on quinoa. Surprisingly good.

Janetha November 13, 2012 at 10:31 am

Haha yes, it is me. Thank you! We filmed it yesterday while I was training to be a trainer :)

Khushboo November 13, 2012 at 1:08 am

Glad to see that many of those are my staple foods! I love venison, especially in burger form! Even though it’s red meat, it’s very lean (and tasty)!

Sierra November 13, 2012 at 6:38 am

I feel like the only time I consume quince is when it is an accompaniment on a cheese plate. That’s probably not the aim I am going for with fat loss, right?

corn, apples, pumpkin, vanilla, cinnamon, cauliflower? I’ve got those covered! Pecans are amazing, but I find them a little expensive to eat on the regular.

Corey @ When We Wander November 13, 2012 at 8:37 am

I’m so glad to see pumpkin seeds on there! I ate more than I’d care to admit last night – they are SO addicting!

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish November 13, 2012 at 10:04 am

Thanks for letting us know about these two great causes; I haven’t participated in Foodie Pen Pals for awhile, but definitely plan on joining up this month to support Sandy victims.

I love lists like this! Moose and goat meat? Who determines that these foods are good for fat loss? Haha! I eat about half of these regularly; a quarter occasionally, and the last quarter…never. I’d be open to trying anything and everything, though!

Annette@FitnessPerks November 13, 2012 at 10:09 am

I love elderberries!

And pomegranates are the bomb. I am going to eat one tomorrow for my b-day :)

Rachel @ Running Daze November 13, 2012 at 10:16 am

Thanks for the list! I’ve never tried elderberries but now I’m going to look for them. :)

Kendra November 13, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Thanks for the info on Runner Beans. I eat them raw from the farmers market. Not doing that anymore!

Jennyb November 13, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Those 4 are quite common british things – we grow runners every year – i prefer them raw – nothing nicer than popping down the garden and munching on a fresh bean :) Wasn’t a very good crop this year tho due the the awful british summer. Elderberries grow wild everywhere, but we don’t generally eat them. Mum & i picked a load & made elderflower wine one year, which is what most people do with it i think. We had a quince plant in the garden too which i poached and baked the fruit from – although i discovered it was more of an ornamental variety even if the fruit did taste ok. The plant has gone now tho. We have purple sprouting brocolli in the garden growing right now too.

If only you lived near me in the UK – i could help you try all 4 things! (although bean season is over now)

Karey @ Nutty About Health November 13, 2012 at 6:37 pm

I haven’t tried the quinces, frisee, or runner beans… or the moose, duck goose, goat meat, venison, or stone crab. Like you, I have no desire to either. Eating those animals kind of weirds me out a little.
I do eat the brussel sprouts, cinnamon, nutmeg, apples, & oat bran somewhat regularly though. I’ve actually got brussel sprouts roasting in the oven right now… ;-)

BroccoliHut November 13, 2012 at 7:22 pm

I’m pretty sure I’ve never had any of the last five foods on the list. I eat an apple a day though, and oat bran makes a regular appearance on the menu too.

Stephanie November 13, 2012 at 10:17 pm

I too have never tried goose or goat meat. And I have no desire to. I tried moose meatballs at a Norwegian Christmas Eve gathering a few years ago. They were surprisingly not that bad.

I am eating #3 (pumpkin seeds) right now. I’m always snacking on these. Eden organics dry roasted pumpkin seeds are my favorite snack. I bought a large stock of Brussels sprouts from Trader Joe’s yesterday. So that was my veggie side at dinner last night, tonight and will be tomorrow night too. I also love roasted cauliflower and most of the fruits on that list.

jessiker November 15, 2012 at 9:30 am

I LOVE Elderflower flavoring, I wonder if the berries taste similar. Yum.