more random on a thursday.

by Janetha on November 1, 2012

in random rambles

hi!

today was a good day. actually, it’s been a really good week. let’s talk about some random happenings!

after work today, i scouted out a location for blend retreat in park city.. serious potential, folks!

blend announce

stay tuned for upcoming announcements regarding the location, the official sponsor, and some of the other headlining sponsors for the meals and the boot camps. great things are in the works!

this week i began a new face washing experiment. i still love my norwex rags, but my friends have been using the oil cleansing method for awhile now and SWEAR by it. i have had some issues with clogged pores and the oil remedies that. plus, i love the idea of using oil to cleanse and rejuvenate my skin.

i mixed a solution of 70% sunflower oil and 30% castor oil and store the mixture in my bathroom. here is the nightly routine:

1. do NOT wash or wet your face. leave your makeup on if you wear it.
  2. pour a quarter-size drop of oil in your hand.
  3. slowly massage the oil all over your face. don’t scrub—just rub.
  4. focus on rubbing longer on the problem areas of your face. for me, it’s my chin.
  5. take your time, breath deeply, and relax as you are rubbing the oil into your face.
  6. drench a washrag in hot water and wring it out well.
  7. place the steaming rag over your face and let it sit there until it has reached room temperature.
  8. slowly remove the rag from your face, wiping the oil off as you go.
  9. repeat the hot rag/wiping process three or four more times until all oil has been removed.
  10. do this each night!

i have only done this for three nights, but i can already see and feel a difference in my skin. i am not surprised at this, because when i posted the photo above on instagram, i got lots of people giving me positive feedback on the method. many said they use jojoba oil + castor oil and someone said they add a few drops of tea tree oil to the mix to combat acne.

you can play around with the different oils and ratios used, but you always must have castor oil in the mix. i have heard of people pairing it with olive oil, grapeseed oil, and flax seed oil. i am sure they all yield a little bit of a different result, but the site i was sent by my friends said to use sunflower oil so i started with that. the reason to use castor oil is it is thick and actually dissolves the oil on your skin. it will pull out the impurities from your pores. if your skin tends to be drier, use less castor oil. if your skin is oily, use more castor oil. castor oil i there are LOTS of sites that talk about this method.. if you google it you will learn lots more.

i will let you know how i like this after a month or so!

GOOD NEWS! i was at my training class at GPP on monday, and neil made me get up on the bar to see how my kipping pull up was coming along. i laughed.. because the last time i had tried a kip was months prior and i grumbled and declared i would never be able to do one. instead of being a normal human and actually practicing, i ignored the fact that i couldn’t do one and i just stuck with jumping pull ups every time the workout called for pull ups.

well, my friends, i gave myself a little surprise when i got up on the bar and actually DID ONE.

take a look:

i know it may not seem like a big deal, but it was for me. now i need to work on actually doing more than one at a time.. and maybe now that i know i can do one, i will actually practice doing more than one. yay for progress!

my poor subaru has been in the shop twice because of a smoking engine. i thought the problem was fixed, but it is STILL smoking. boo. i have had the car for a long time (some readers may remember when i got it!) and so i am thinking maybe it’s time to trade it in for something new. well, something used, but something new-to-me. i would never buy a brand-spanking-new car.

i kind of think this obnoxiously bright blue STI with gold rims is dope. i always have had a black, white, or silver car.. maybe it is time for something fun and out of the ordinary?!

source: mark miller subaru south towne

oh, uhoh.. i kinda really like it.

my good friend, susan, needs your help. you may remember her from the great balancing act (and the auction i held for her last year—the great fundraising act.) well, susan is cancer free, has started a new blog, and is fundraising for an upcoming goal. let me let her tell you all about it.

from susan:

In a very drastic and stupidly exciting attempt to travel again and get my fitness back, I am running a half marathon in Edinburgh, Scotland with Team In Training in April 2013. Team In Training is one of the fundraising arms of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, an organization that I very much support. There are very exciting things happening in the world of blood cancer research right now. Things that will go on to help treating other cancers, and LLS is behind some of that funding.
So, by signing up to run in Edinburgh, I agreed to raise $6000 for LLS. This is a HUGE undertaking. Physically and emotionally, especially as I am only eight months out of chemotherapy. So I need your help.
I am holding an online auction on my
new blog, “Air Heart” November 14. Right now I am asking for people to donate items to auction off. Anything you are willing to donate — I have people giving jewelry, knit goods, services, beauty supplies, books, etc. Shelf-stable foods or gift baskets are also welcome, get creative!

In order to donate an item, you need to do two things:
1) Email a photo and description of the item to susan.e.ehrhardt@gmail.com. Include a suggested starting price for the item if you have one. Deadline for this in November 12.
2) Mail the item to the winner’s address (which I will send you) within a week after the auction. This way the auction items will arrive in time for Christmas gifts!

so, there you have it. if you are interested in donating something for the auction, please email susan at susan.e.ehrhardt@gmail.com. i hope you decide to participate!

finally, a little shameless pup-promotion. penny & randy are in a costume contest through their daycare’s facebook page. click here and simply “like” the photo to vote. you don’t have to, but if you want to.. that would be rad.

okay, that’s all i have for today!

YOUR TURN! tell me something random and/or rad about your week.

Elizabeth M. November 1, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I am the total opposite with cars. I’ve always wanted black or grey, but I’ve only ever had red or two green ones haha. If you need some help scouting locations, let me know. My coworker lives up there and might have some suggestions too if you need it :)

Giselle@ahealthyhappyhome November 1, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Oh I so want to go to the Blend Retreat this year! The oil combination sounds interesting but good! I might have to give it a shot!

meg November 1, 2012 at 8:56 pm

I liked Penny and Randy’s costume picture! I always try to vote for things like that and sometimes there’s all sorts of hoops you have to jump through just to vote! I’m glad this was easy peasy– I hope they win!!

Congrats on your kipping pullup! That’s so awesome!

Julie November 1, 2012 at 9:07 pm

I’ll have to give the oil method a try! My skin is terrible!

Maria November 1, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Very excited about Blend next year (it was such a great experience this year!) and please let me know if you need any help (that I can do from the comfort of my home in CA) with the planning process.

No better feeling (well, at least in the gym) than getting your chin up over that pull up bar. Things look different from up there, especially for us short girls :)

Corrie Anne November 1, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Hooray kipping pullup!! I accidentally forgot my husband was sleeping and played that video practically in his ear! Oops!

Erica November 2, 2012 at 4:56 am

I want to try that oil method! My skin has been problematic for a while…Josh used to have an STI. He is still obsessed. Go Randy and Penny!! Have a good weekend

Lauren November 2, 2012 at 6:28 am

Oh my goodness, I SOO SOO hope I can make Blend this year!!!! Saving my pennies now! :)

Lindsay's List November 2, 2012 at 6:53 am

please teach me your kipping ways! i want to do this so badly!

Nicole @ Curly Mommy November 2, 2012 at 7:28 am

I don’t really think this is rad, but I had to confess to someone, and you are the only person I could think of that would understand. I…. may have eaten a whole family sized box of Honey Bunches of Oats in the last 24 hours. Whoops! That shit is good!

Janetha November 2, 2012 at 7:40 am

Ummmm are you kidding that is the raddest!! I love that cereal, when I lived in London my mom sent me boxes of it!

Lindsay November 2, 2012 at 8:04 am

I use and love the oil cleansing method too. No more dry patches and blackheads :-)

Danielle November 2, 2012 at 10:42 am

I have been oil cleansing for ages and love it! A couple tips: you actually don’t have to use castor oil… I personally don’t notice much of a difference; I usually switch between almond & grapeseed oil. Also, a great way to remove it is with herbal waters (aka hydrosols – I like lavender & rose water). Just spritz on a cotton pad and wipe clean! This helps prevent your skin from getting too dried out or irritated from hot wash cloths. Phew that was longer than I meant! Can you tell I love oil cleansing???

Janetha November 2, 2012 at 12:00 pm

cool! thanks for the tips!

Neil November 2, 2012 at 10:58 am

Going from arms straight, to chin over is NO JOKE. Congrats and MAJOR props.

Here’s a laugh – http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/25/why-women-cant-do-pull-ups/

Janetha November 2, 2012 at 11:59 am

HA! well i am a midget so according to that, i should be a pro ;)

Meg November 2, 2012 at 11:06 am

I am so intrigued to find out how you like the month long oil cleansing…. I have been wanting to try it but am scared it will make me break out :)

Annette@FitnessPerks November 2, 2012 at 12:38 pm

YAY for doing a kipping pullup! I gotta work on that.

I use Doterra’s facial stuff & it cleared my face right up (I had major issues during anorexia and after/binge eating because of the hormonal mess up. I looked like a teenager. I tried everything & finally got introduced to it. so happy about that!

We have a blue car, and I actually really like it! You should go for it! I actually have always driven a blue car…..or gold.

Laura @ Mommy Run Fast November 2, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Popping over from Lindsay’s to say I’m so excited about Blend!! I’m crossing my fingers that I can make it this year- depends if/when we move this summer, but I’ve always wanted to go to Utah. What a beautiful state!

Naomi November 2, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I just started using the oil cleansing method and already love it! I bought a premade mix from crunchy betty on etsy…was too lazy to mix them all. SO far so good! I actually like that it makes you slow down and relax during the process. Hope it works for you :)

the delicate place November 2, 2012 at 1:40 pm

i could never use that method since i have combo and very sensitive skin. i swear by eminence organics products so if this doesn’t work for you, give me a shout :)

something random: this week at work was a total biatch. really hard for me intellectually speaking and i learned some difficult techniques.

something rad: halloween was my bday and now we are about to start celebrating this weekend since the weather has literally been rain nonstop for the last 7 days. hey thanks sandy!

Maria @ Little Miss Cornucopia November 2, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I’ve been hearing people mention the oil cleansing technique yet I’ve never tried it myself. Sounds promising, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this :D

Laura November 2, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Thanks so much for sharing about oil cleansing! So interesting!! Do you also use the oil to clean off your eye make up? Or should we use a separate cleanser for that?

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning November 2, 2012 at 5:02 pm

YAY for a pull up! I don’t know if I’ll ever do one.. I’ve got a lot of weight to pull! :)
That little blue car is cute- is it a Subaru? I FREAKING LOVE MY SUBARU. It is the best car ever- I love it to an unhealthy level.
You know I’ll be at Blend!

Susan November 2, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Ahhh, you are so sweet for sharing my auction stuff. I should probably change my front page post from something other than talking about bullshit now, haha. Pullup is a huge deal!!!!

laura November 2, 2012 at 11:24 pm

just catching up on blogs…and wanted to say that YES you should have the next retreat in park city!!! i hope it works out. close location (for me) is a super plus, and i would be able to go those dates.

something random from this week…it has been a crazy week but i had fun relaxing with my husband at Shot of Chocolate tonight and tasting chocolate for a great cause!

Janetha November 3, 2012 at 8:01 am

Oh the city is already locked in. Just not the venue :)

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 3, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I can’t wait for the BLEND NEWS!! AHHH!!! So excited!

And I’m looking forward to hearing how you like the oil. My skin has been a lot worse than normal lately so I guess I need to try something new…