the turkey day challenge.

by Janetha on October 29, 2012

in goals

remember my mantras post last monday? well, it seems like i was not the only one feeling a bit sluggish, bogged down with sugar, or wanting some accountability going into the holiday season. the trainers at my gym have come up with a challenge to keep us in check right up until thanksgiving! it runs from today, october 29, until wednesday, november 21.. so it is just over three weeks.

this challenge is for EVERYONE, not just locals who attend gpp. we have people from all over the world who have committed to the challenge! hopefully some of you want to join us. not only will this challenge keep you accountable, but it will also help raise donations for those in need. it’s free to join, but in order to keep you accountable, you will have to pay up when you slip up! all proceeds from this challenge will be donated to our local food bank.  the details for the challenge are below, taken from gpp’s site.

Beginning Monday Oct. 29 we issue this challenge to those who need to clean up their eating, become more committed to exercise and improve health.

1. You may eat NO ADDED SUGAR – no white sugar, no brown sugar, no high fructose corn syrup (you’ll have to check labels for this sneaky beast). Honey and agave are ok. Unprocessed fruits are OK.  You can have Splenda and Asptartame, but why the H would you want to?  Basically, anything that is a sugary sweet eaten for pleasure alone is off limits.  Just until Thanksgiving day.
  2. You must complete 5 GPP workouts per week PLUS three extra 30 minute cardio sessions per week. (if you don’t GPP, then replace the 5 workouts with your own five from your workout routine.)
  3. You are to pick a health related challenge to stick to.  Once picked, you should post this healthy challenge and how you will be accountable for compliance to it.  For example: you may choose to begin a few rounds of BCD & post (daily) whether or not you stuck to it.

Below are a few suggestions of health related challenges you may consider:

• Comply strictly with a GPP meal plan.
  • Get 6-8 hours of sleep per night.
  • 50 extra burpees per day.
  • Pray/meditate daily
  • No unhealthy snacks.
  • Take a daily multi vitamin.
  • 5 servings of fruits + 5 servings of vegetables per day.
  • Eat .9 g of lean protein per lb of lean body weight daily.
  • Eat healthy & correct portions of breakfast/lunch/dinner.
  • Weekly community service.
  • Weigh & measure weekly.

If you are going to commit to any of the above, you have to be committed enough to put some teeth into it.  In other words, it has to HURT if you break your commitment.  So here is how that works:

1. You must commit to, and define your intention to complete the challenge to comments. <—click for the link to the post where you will commit!
  2. You must post daily results of your challenge to comments.
  3. There are penalties for not following through.  Each time you miss a workout, indulge in a sugary treat, or mess up on your personal goal (your observable, measurable & repeatable one) you are to pay $1, or 1 can of food for every offense!  Strictly enforced by HONOR.  These are to be dropped off at GPP HQ. (or if you aren’t local, collect your money/cans of food and donate to your local food bank!)  Questions or exceptions are to be voted upon by those in the challenge.  Majority rules!

All of the money raised and food items collected will be donated to the Bountiful Food Pantry.

Challenge ends at midnight, Nov. 21st.

We invite anyone looking to get a healthy jump on this holiday season to participate!  We look forward to your successful daily posts!

pretty great challenge, right?! i am excited for it.

it took me awhile to decide what my third commitment would be. there are so many good ones that came to mind! i have a lot i could work on, but i don’t want to bite off more than i can chew. in the end, i chose two because i couldn’t decide! i also chose to tweak the other ones just a bit (see below.)

1. no added sugar *except* for the small amount found in my protein shakes, bread, certain sauces and dressings (but NOT HFCS or refined sugar!), and other random items i deem healthy. by this we are talking <2 grams of sugar. there are particular items that do have a small amount of evaporated cane juice or something similar and i do not consider them a “treat”. the point of this challenge (for me) is to knock off all the treat eating, so if i have some balsamic salad dressing with one gram of sugar in it, that’s not breaking the rules.
  2. 5 GPP workouts a week (monday through friday) + three 30 minute cardio sessions a week. saturday’s GPP workout, should i choose to do it, can act as one of the cardio sessions (no matter how long or short it is.)
  3. drink at least 96 ounces of water daily. that’s four of my 24 oz contigo water bottles.
  4. NO BLTs! i am notorious for grabbing Bites, Licks, and Tastes of everything in sight. for this challenge, if i am going to eat something, it has to be a part of my meal or snack. no handfuls of granola, spoonfuls (okay, fingerfuls) of peanut butter, or thirteen bites of the cookie dough while i am baking. no more.

i am printing out this commitment with my list to keep as a reminder for the next few weeks!

i always love participating in group challenges, so i look forward to doing the turkey day challenge with everyone.  i will be posting my daily results on the GPP site, but won’t be blogging about it every day. so if you are interested in following the challenge, you can do so there. i really hope you guys hop on board and join us all in the challenge! it’s free (haha.. well.. as free as you make it, that is!), it’s fun, and it’s for a good cause.

Q~

what is something health- or fitness-related you’d like to work on in november?

clare @ fittingitallin October 29, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Yes! I need this!
I’m doing no extra sugar too – just natural sugars in fruits, etc.
I need to define my workout goals though too. And an additional goal – SLEEP is definitely one of them!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning October 29, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I totally love this challenge- and can do ALMOST everything on the list. I can’t ever fully commit to structured workout plans, because I already teach at least 8 classes a week- but I could fit a few in!
I especially love the no added sugar, meditation, HEALTHY portions and community service. Very nice!

Janetha October 29, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Haha well we don’t have to do them all! Those ate just examples..we pick one or two personal challenges :)

lindsay October 29, 2012 at 5:14 pm

youre awesome at challenges! i know you’ll master it. But us 50 extra burpees, whoa. Can i belch instead?

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 29, 2012 at 9:07 pm

This is definitely awesome! But seeing as I ate a piece of my mom’s birthday cake (thankfully the last of it), does that mean I already broke the challenge? And does this mean the apple sauce I just made breaks the rules? :(

I may have to think this one over or adapt it slightly because I KNOW I’ve been eating too much sugar lately because my sweet tooth is just out of control!

Janetha October 29, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Well, every time there is a slip up, it’s a buck or a can of food. So you can always pick yourself up and dust yourself off and keep going. That’s the beauty of this challenge.. if you break the rules, you haven’t broken the challenge completely!

ML Bishop October 29, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Wow, GPP looks so cool. They need to expand to, uh, Pennsylvania, right now. I’m totally going to do this from afar! Wonderful idea.

Corrie Anne October 29, 2012 at 10:41 pm

That’s a great challenge! I was talking it over with Kevin on the way home from the gym tonight (good start, right?) — we still have to talk through a plan we can both be on board with. He has a sweet tooth, but I’m the snacker!!!!

Kaylie October 30, 2012 at 12:06 am

This sounds like an awesome challenge! I love the idea of donating food whe you eat something bad- it’s a great way to turn our mistakes into something worth while!

Presley @ Run Pretty October 30, 2012 at 5:08 am

Sounds awesome. I definitely need to cut back on the sugar! I WISH I could commit to 6-8 hours of sleep, but I’d have to talk to my four month old about that. :)

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 30, 2012 at 7:33 am

I would definitely need to work on the BLTs! I’m so bad for that…sneaking bites of dinner while I’m cooking, grabbing a bite when I make the boyfriend a sandwich, grabbing a palmful of cereal when I’m in the kitchen…it starts to add up!

Calee (@chimes) — life + running October 30, 2012 at 8:30 am

I LOVE that this challenge has more than just a “I want to get fit and quit eating shit” goal — that it has to do with donating to those in need.

I would love to participate, but I know I’m going to forget to comment in the comments section. I’m going to mull over this. I saw the graphic and hadn’t read the post just yet this AM and was thinking that for me, it would be nice to commit to running 3X a week + 3 Ignite Yoga classes (b/c I’m paying for it).

The cutting sugar part is oddly the easy part for me. Now I’m in a place where I’ve got my nutrition under control — finally — but my fitness is lacking (mostly due to my stupid ankle sprain).

I’ll let you know if i end up doing this. It’s a great idea! And the best is that it’s for a secondary cause.

Also — can people sign up later? If so, I’d like to re-blog on Monday (if you don’t mind — I’ll even use your lovely graphic).

Janetha October 30, 2012 at 12:18 pm

You can sign up any time! It’s not like an official sign up thingie.. It’s more like “hey, do this! start now!” and post each day on the current GPP post of the day (saw your comment on the site) xoxo

Bonnie October 30, 2012 at 9:12 am

This is great, J! A very well-rounded challenge. My only dillema is deciding on my goals knowing that the challenge technically started yesterday! Eek! Gotta think through this one and have a full day of back to back clients starting soon – will think on it and get back to you/the link above! Love your goals and look forward to reading about your progress through this challenge!

Janetha October 30, 2012 at 12:17 pm

You can start any time :) xoxo

Annette@FitnessPerks October 30, 2012 at 9:19 am

What a great idea for a challenge! I love the idea of donating the money to the food bank.

Melissa October 30, 2012 at 10:49 am

I am in.

I am AWFUL about BLTS, I am putting that on my list!

jessie ann james October 30, 2012 at 11:16 am

i think i want in! so my crossfit can count right? but i need to add in more cardio?

Janetha October 30, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Yep!! Perfect! I still need to write you that GP.. ha..

Amanda @ Romancing the Unusual October 30, 2012 at 11:19 am

I love the idea of staying fit through the holidays! It’s just too easy to slack off and before you know it, several months have passed! (I could be talking from experience here ;) I want to work on strength training through November. I love it and use to do it all the time, but haven’t had the motivation since I started marathon training.

jessie ann james October 30, 2012 at 11:20 am

i gotta think about my goals! i will get back to you!!

Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily October 30, 2012 at 11:56 am

Good luck! I’m just trying to keep on track with my workouts and allowing some indulgences for Halloween and Thanksgiving. I’m down almost 40 pounds, I don’t want to put any back on!!!!

Janetha October 30, 2012 at 12:16 pm

So proud of you! For real.

Heather @ Better With Veggies October 30, 2012 at 3:48 pm

I am not going to commit, because I really need to take a break from structure in November, but I LOVE this challenge – sharing it with others! :)

Emily @ www.main-eats.com October 30, 2012 at 4:57 pm

LOVE your challenge-sooo awesome! Sometimes we need a little structure!

Neil October 30, 2012 at 5:46 pm

I’m in! haha.

Thx for the link J!

ALLCON – please feel free to start this ANYTIME! It’s a great win/win.

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva October 30, 2012 at 7:19 pm

I’ve been trying to eat better in general and am hoping to put on some lean muscle too!!!

I love the idea of this challenge….gonna have a long think about what I could personally commit too :)

Stephanie October 30, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I didn’t even know about this Turkey Day Challenge but I had already made the same first commitment to give up sugar. I was supposed to start on the 29th too but actually started on the 28th. Tomorrow is going to be tough. I work in a school and it’s Halloween. There definitely won’t be a shortage of candy and other sweet goodies around.

Katie October 31, 2012 at 8:01 am

My sugar intake has been RIDICULOUS lately. Need a challenge like this!

The Healthy Hostess October 31, 2012 at 6:50 pm

I am so in! I will print this tomorrow and post for you on my site! What program do you use to do your graphics – goals/commitments graphic? I need a good program! help!

Janetha October 31, 2012 at 9:49 pm

I just use the photo feature in Gmail!

Jessica November 1, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Just saw this post after being caught in Hurricane Sandy for a few days (no power). I’ve already made my list and will start tomorrow! Here’s my commitments:

*Consume no added sugars
*Work out 5x/week with weights/resistance and meet running goals for POTM (workouts may consist of weight training, WODs, GPP, etc)
*Drink 1 gallon of water a day (used to do this and have slacked off this past month)
* Eat modified version of Paleo (gotta have beans/legumes…can’t give those up as they are excellent source of fiber and protein)
*Foam roll and stretch after every run! (I’m terrible at never stretching especially after my runs…my hammies are tight!)

Trisha November 3, 2012 at 9:09 am

November is my favorite month to buckle down & do good stuff for my body. I love feeling cleansed & a little leaner before Thanksgiving. It’s helps me not feel as awful about pigging out. ;)