odds & ends.

by Janetha on October 26, 2012

in day job,meals,random rambles

happy friday to you!

let’s get random. i have various topics to blog about today!

have you ever been taught how to use the rowing machine? i hadn’t until last week when neil saw me rowing like a jackass. i didn’t KNOW i was doing anything wrong, but now that he has corrected my form, it has made all the difference in the world. for real. check out this video we filmed last night that compares my old row to my new row—hopefully you can learn from my mistakes!

thanks to my new approach to rowing, i was able to effortlessly row a 5k in 23:45 last sunday. i am excited to see how i can improve my time now that i actually know what i am doing!

for the past two weeks, we have been doing two new things at work—both related to meals and moves!

first off, we have been moving more. we sit for eight hours. we get restless. it’s bad for our heart and our head. so, every hour on the hour, kerryne, amanda, and i have done something active for one minute. there have been days where we miss a few hours (we get really busy at work!) but, for the most part, we have been pounding out moves like it’s our job while on the job. see what i did there? ha.

anyway, each day it’s the same move… so by the end of the day we will have done that day’s move for one minute several different times. you’d be surprised how much you can get your heart rate up or feel the muscle burn in a single minute. it’s good stuff! here are the moves we have done so far, to give you some ideas:

• plank
  • side plank
  • standard crunches
  • bicycle crunches
  • deep squat with arm circles (switch direction after 30 seconds)
  • wide stance duck walk (basically squat really low, point your toes out, and walk across the room for one minute)
  • triceps extension (we have dumbbells in the office.. it’s casual)
  • leg lifts (30 seconds each side)

this has been super fun! my bosses and co-workers have even stopped to get in on the active action with us, too.

the second thing we have been doing at work is THE BREAKFAST CLUB!

we have a full kitchen at our office. i feel lucky about this situation, it’s nice. kerryne, amanda, and i all eat relatively healthy and enjoy the same foods. we all eat breakfast together–well, sometimes it turns into lunch since we don’t get to it until 11:00 AM—but it’s breakfast nonetheless. we decided it makes more sense to make one big breakfast to share! it’s a lot of fun.

i created a pinterest board for our little club so we can all pin breakfast ideas to make in the future.

i took photos of all our breakfasts this week to share with you. except for tuesday’s.. um.. i ate it way too fast and totally spaced taking a photo. whoops! it was just that good.

monday: pumpkin protein waffles.

tuesday: breakfast hash with eggs, bell pepper, onion, sweet potato, and cheese.(no photo, but so good!)

wednesday: ham, egg & cheese breakfast sandwiches.

thursday: bacon & scrambled eggs with laughing cow and avocado.

friday: individual whole wheat puff pancakes.

these were super cute, right?

IMG_2513IMG_2516

tasty, too. we put syrup on them.

please excuse the poor iphone photos and the paper plates. [side note, i really need to bring a reusable plate asap!] i know, nothing snazzy or great to look at—but i wanted to share the breakfast club with you guys! if you’d like, i can recap our 5 breakfasts at the end of each week so you can have more breakfast ideas. let me know if you’d like me to do that!

halloween falls on next wednesday, so that means this weekend is the time to celebrate the holiday!

tonight amanda, kerryne and i are heading grab some sushi (nothing spooky about that.. at least i hope not..) and then we are going to a haunted house! we pre-purchased our haunted house tickets… you guys, they were $27! HOLY CRUD! since when were haunted houses so flipping expensive? i am in the wrong profession. we chatted with my boss today about building a haunted house in our extra land to the south. it needs to happen.

tomorrow i am heading to kristen and rory’s for their annual halloween bash! you may remember last year’s.. so much fun. can’t wait to tell you guys the theme of this year’s party! i know kristen has been working way hard on it and it’s going to be rad.

i am in charge of the desserts, so later tonight i am making:

it’s gonna be a busy night in the kitchen! i have already enlisted marshall to help me—he had the day off so he baked cupcakes. love him.

oh! i almost forgot. tomorrow at noon i am running in the zombie chase 5k! it’s a 5k course through a haunted house with random obstacles and we will actually be chasing zombies. should be a good time, i will be sure to take photos and post a recap! is anyone else here in utah doing the race? let me know!

OH, and one more thing.. my foot! so, you know i have peroneal tendonitis in both of my feet from tough mudder, right? well, thanks to kristen’s PT help, i have properly taken care of the injury and am happy to say the pain is gone! so that will make tomorrow’s 5k a lot nicer, ha.

i also have to say that i think this essential oil rub that annette recommended has worked WONDERS on my feet. yay for new amazing product finds!

an image of doTERRA's Deep Blue Rub lying on it's side
source: simplydoterra.net

seriously.. i am sold. it was a lot of money (around $50 with shipping) but worth every penny! if you have any injured or sore body parts, i suggest you pick up a tube! it’s 4 ounces so i think it will last a long time.

also, i just booked marshall and i massage appointments at the kura door. much needed, cannot wait.

okay. i will shut up now. thanks for reading! have a happy and safe weekend, what ever you do!

a whole bunch of Qs~

1. are you dressing up for halloween? as what? what are your halloween/hallo-weekend plans?

2. do you think candy corn is the worst candy ever? yes.. i know.. it SO is.

3. any recent product finds you LOVE and would like to share with the class?

p.s. popchips giveaway winner announced!

momma b. October 26, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Please, please, please hire me!! I would love to join the breakfast club and I’m going to do the hourly challenge (well unless I’m in my car or showing a house haha)

Yes candy corn is the worst candy every, yuck!!

Not dressing up – but I may sport some black and/or orange ON Halloween – you know me always living on the edge!

Alkaline ionized water – totally crazy but I can really tell a difference in how it tastes. Pretty good find!

Sounds like a fun filled weekend – you always manage to cram way more in to a weekend than the average bear (now where did that saying come from?!?)

Love you!!

xoxo

kim@hungryhealthygirl October 26, 2012 at 6:01 pm

The zombie chase sounds like a blast! Not dressing up this year, but I’ll be taking my witch and nerd trick-or-treating on Wednesday. I actually used to hate candy corns, but mixed with peanuts and m&ms they are actually pretty tasty. Have a fun weekend!

Clare @ Fitting It All In October 26, 2012 at 6:06 pm

my coach corrected my form for the exact same reason today – makes such a difference!

andrea October 26, 2012 at 6:06 pm

your weekends always sound dreamy!!

Stacey C. October 26, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Thanks for the video. I have been wanting to try out the rowing machine but was not sure on proper form.

BroccoliHut October 26, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Thanks for the row tutorial–that’s definitely one those machines that I see at the gym but am always too afraid to try. “Legs, hips, then arms.”
This weekend we’re doing a Color Me Rad 5K that I’m really excited for. Then we drive to ‘bama for wedding week!
I totally agree that candy corn is disgusting. I’ve always hated it.

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance October 26, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I have to disagree… candy corn is amazingly delicious. Not an ounce of nutritional value, but oh so good.

However, I agree with Kim’s suggestion. Pairing it with pretzels has made many converts in my group of friends. People that previously hates candy corn, loved the combo.

I love that you and your coworkers cook and stay active together. So awesome! :)

Danielle October 26, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Ooh the zombie 5k sounds fun! Glad your feet are feeling better, that sucks what happened. Totally something that would happen to me, for some reason my feet always end up being the ones injured/hurting but I have stopped wearing my vibrams to give my feet a break… so that could be it.

– I am not dressing up. I have been Britney Spears like 3 years in a row, then last year Jenny (with my Forest Gump) and this year I’m just not feelin’ it. Might rock some Halloween colors though.
– I topped my froyo the other night with candy corn and it was so yuck! Hard and chewy and not my style. I like chocolate, all the way, haha!
Have a good weekend!

Emily October 26, 2012 at 6:38 pm

That video was super helpful!! I, like some other commenters, have always been worried that my form was incorrect, so I never used a rowing machine. Now I’m totally going to do it. Thanks!

Lauren October 26, 2012 at 6:41 pm

I love your idea of hourly minute workouts at work! So fun and a great way to initiate movement in a sedentary workout environment.
I actually don’t really like Candy Corn which is probably a good thing. Last thing I need is another sugar obsession. :)

Kendra October 26, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Thanks, that rowing video was super helpful.

My friend is going as a “Binder Full of Women” for Halloween. I’ll wear my usual black leather jacket and Raven mask.

I’ve never tried candy corn, it sounds classic and old fashion-y like salt water taffy.

It’s not a product but I made Rejuvelac from wheat berries. I loved the taste and it made my guts happy.

Happy Halloween!

jodie October 26, 2012 at 9:17 pm

That video gave me the courage to try it myself!

Also, yes to breakfast club recap!

Brittany @Berries and Barbells October 26, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Your crazy!!! I LOVE candy corn.

Sydney Lanphear October 26, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Hi Janetha!
I’m a loyal reader and a first time commenter but since I row at the D1 level for my university I thought I might be able to help even more with your erging.

If you get more “body over”, meaning bending at the hips bringing your upper body closer to the machine, making sure to keep your back straight and shoulders relaxed (don’t hunch over to make this reach. also, you should feel a stretch in your hamstrings) you will get more reach at what is called the “catch” which will lead to a stronger “drive” and more distance per pull.

I’m sorry if that is hard to understand via text instead of video but I think it would definitely help decrease your time!

katie October 27, 2012 at 6:07 am

Hi love!!!

I love the breakfast club thing you got going on at work, such a good idea!

I didn’t realize haunted houses were so expensive, I don’t go to them! I do not like being scared!

Good luck with the 5k, sounds so fun! I would do something like that!

Have a blast at the halloween party! I always love seeing your recap from their party, she really does do a great job putting it together! Can’t wait to see the theme this year!

We are attending a wedding tonight, so no halloween party for us! I wish it was a halloween dress up wedding, but sadly no!

Love you!

Kerryne October 27, 2012 at 8:37 am

YES! We have the best times! Love that video. I am not even sure how I row, when I row. I should row, and you should watch me row and see if I row right or if I row wrong! ha ha! READY FOR TODAY?!? I will be there in just a little bit to pick your cute superhero butt up! love you!

Emily @ www.main-eats.com October 27, 2012 at 9:06 am

Love your post! That video was super helpful-I’ve always been a bit intimidated by the row machine!

kristen @ livinlifeinlouie October 27, 2012 at 9:07 am

I am not dressing up, but my son is going to be an army guy (not very original, especially since last year he was a lego!) oh well!

Lisa October 27, 2012 at 1:44 pm

So jealous of your breakfast club! I love the idea of that. That haunted house is crazy expensive, it must be super scary then! I’m supposed to go out tonight for a Halloween party and have no clue what I’m going to dress up as…this should be interesting! I love the rowing machine, I used to row so I guess that’s probably why!

Laura @RunningJunkie123 October 27, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Candy Corn is the best candy EVER. I think you’re a crazy pants. lol. I don’t know how it’d be in a rice krispie treat though…..

Ali October 27, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Hey Janetha – if you really want a killer row you also need to throw your arms straight before you rebend your knees to slide back in. So not only is it “legs then arms” is also “arms then legs” on the way back in. Kinda hard to explain it without a demo, just remember to take a small pause when you are fully extended at the end of your stoke to extend your arms fully before sliding back to the forward catch position. Youll really capitalize on your power that way. Happy rowing!

Janetha October 27, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Cool thanks for the tip! Ill try that next time for sure. I think I know what you mean, I hope haha

edwina November 7, 2012 at 5:04 pm

was about to say the same thing- let your arms fully straighten out (so your hands have come past your knees, if that makes sense) before you start bending your legs to come into the ‘crouch’ position again.
you can really utilize the power in pulling it back for the next time that way.
we were always taught the bar should ALWAYS be past your knees before you start coming back. the power really comes from a hard clean pull, not a super quick movement back to the “front of the boat” if that makes sense.

Janetha November 7, 2012 at 5:10 pm

It kind of makes sense, thanks! I will show your reply to my trainer and see if he can show me what you mean.. I am much more visual :) Thanks!

Meg October 27, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Sounds like a fun weekend! I am really excited to see the zombie chase recap!

No costume for me this year. Been so busy that we’re just doing dinner and scary movies at home. First year that I haven’t had a costume! My husband had a concert last night and went as Robert Smith…. So Marshall is not alone with the eyeliner thing :)

jess October 27, 2012 at 7:30 pm

hey janetha. you have inspire me so much. i have a question for you- how do you stay motivated to your work outs? any thoughts? you seem with so much energy. lately i see myself slacking, not working out, when i do work out i get bored. what would you recommend?

Alicia @ LiveAliciaLive October 27, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Seriously, watching that video all I could do was stare at your arms and think “Man, I wish I had guns like Janetha!” You’re now my hot-arms standard that I’m striving for.

Janetha October 28, 2012 at 12:11 pm

You made my day. Thank you!

April October 27, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Congratulations on your feet feeling better!! Yah!! So glad to hear that you can do all the fun, active things you had planned. As a thought, you may want to try balancing on one foot in the AM while you brush teeth and the other foot in the PM, while brushing teeth. Then you can continue to strengthen your ankles/improve balance and decrease chance of reinjury. Plus it’s not adding any time to your day. You may want to check with Kristen and see if she agrees (I’m a Physical Therapist also). When that’s easy, you could try doing it with your eyes closed, which makes it much more difficult and makes you rely on your other input systems, besides visual–which can translate to better balance in low/no light situations. Just a thought and so excited that you are feeling better!

Janetha October 28, 2012 at 12:09 pm

So doing this. Thanks!

Natasha October 28, 2012 at 8:09 am

OMG thank you! I DESPISE candy corn. I do not understand the obsession.
Reese’s peanut butter cups on the other hand are a WHOLE different story lol!
I was Katy Perry for Halloween, but when I went out, I took off my blue wig and somebody stole it!!!!! FAIL!

Cara @ I Don't Believe in Diets October 28, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I’m so jealous that people at your work will do that with you. They will just look at me like I am a freak. Most my team is made of people who are very skinny but never work out. Its an odd combo sometimes.

Neil October 28, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Love the GREAT rowing advice above. Thanks for the additional info.

Also, that Rice crispy treat was FRICKIN awesome.

Also, I fully expect that if I died and went to heaven around Holloween, candy corn is what God will be munching on.

Also, will you prepare a computer lesson for me to link all those BK recipes to my site? People from my site would love that schtuff!

Annette@FitnessPerks October 28, 2012 at 5:17 pm

This post has a whole bunch of awesomeness. How do you do that every single time?!?

Great video–love that.

ANd YAY for the Deep Blue. It does last a very long time. And why I am not so freaking sore (as I should be. Hah).

Have fun at the party!

Denise October 28, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Rowing is not one of my favorite activities but it sure does help to do it correctly. You look much better with long flowing movement:)

meg October 29, 2012 at 12:51 am

I’m so glad that you shared that rowing video! I row the same (wrong) way! I’m definitely going to try to remember this the next time I row!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning October 29, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Yup- the trainer I worked with two years ago totally corrected my rowing technique too. What a difference it made!

Christin October 30, 2012 at 9:44 am

I randomly saw your rowing vid on youtube (i’m subscribed to GPP) and it totally helped me with my form as well! Made such a difference in my rowing ability…made my day! :)

Janetha October 30, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Yay! :)

Allana October 30, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Hey janetha long time reader just wanted to chime in on the rowing talk. I’m a surf boat rower from Australia but we do a lot of work on the rowing machine too. Your coach is right about the long stroke. The biggest problem with your stroke (and most people’s) is that when you are on the way back you bend your legs before your arms past them. The rowing movement should be symmetrical so from the start you push your legs out, then your back, then pull your arms in to your chest, then push your arms back off your chest, bend your back over and then bend your legs back up to coil into your starting position. This should make your stroke much more fluid. Hope you try it :-) Allana.

Janetha October 30, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Thanks! I will give that a shot.