ask me anything answers (part 7).

by Janetha on October 25, 2012

in day job,moves,questions answered

hola!

so, it’s snowing here in the great SLC! i do love snowboarding and winter, but it caught me a bit off guard today! it makes me just want to curl up on the couch and watch re-runs of the family feud. wait, i want to do that even when it’s not cold and snowy. marshall is working out of town so i am all alone and it’s pretty sad and lonely. at least i have these two rascals to keep my company!

IMG 2500

love them.

i thought i’d answer more questions tonight, i have lots to knock out so sorry if i haven’t got around to yours yet. slowly but surely!  oh, i keep getting repeat questions about GPP and about body for life, so make sure you check back to my previous installments for those answers. i am skipping over any repeat questions i receive. i will leave links to previous installments at the end of this post!

here we go.

Q: Do you ride park?

me

A: what a good question since it is snowing right now! for those of you not hip to the lingo, this question is asking if i ride in the terrain park while snowboarding. once upon a time, i was a park rat. then i broke my humerus. now i am a scaredy cat. i do hit boxes and little kickers here and there, but not much these days. i would rather ride backcountry or in deep powder tree runs, anyway. luckily utah is known for the best snow on earth! (who am i kidding, though, i get hurt even before i GET to the ski resort! ahem.. broken nose.)

Q: Have you ever smelled Randy and Penny’s feet? Every dog I’ve ever owned had feet that smelled like crackers or some kind of salty snack. Strange, but true.

yes. randy is laying in penny’s crotch here. i don’t know.

A: YES YES YES. i agree with you 100%! dog feet smell like popcorn. or corn chips. fact of life. go sniff your dog’s paws. it’s true. very random someone asked this, but it only further confirms the fact.

Q: Any tricks for using laughing cow in recipes (like make it room temp first?)? Every time I try to follow a recipe that includes laughing cow, it’s an absolute fail.

A: oh, no! sorry to hear your adventures with laughing cow are less than stellar. whenever i am using laughing cow in a recipe (rather than just spreading it on some toast or topping some scrambled eggs) i like to heat it on half power in the microwave for 30 seconds. make sure you remove the foil before doing this! nobody needs sparks. if i want to make a cheesy alfredo-ish sauce, i will combine a wedge or two of the laughing cow with some milk and heat it in the microwave, then pour the sauce over whatever i want! it’s good over meatballs, chicken, pasta, veggies—basically anything! i love laughing cow! for a few of my fave recipes: click, click, click, click.

Q: Hey Janetha, I know your really into fitness and trying new things. Do you think you’ll ever do a fitness, figure or bikini contest like your friend Kerryne??? -Sarah @ The Healthy Diva :)

A: nope! i can honestly say i have zero interest in getting on stage in front of hundreds of people in a bikini. i give serious props to the ladies who do this—it takes some confidence and some guts! neither of which i have. and i am okay with that. i will keep supporting my hot friends from the audience!

Q: GPP workouts seem so short, time wise. 20 minutes or however long it take you to finish the WOD. How do you feel your fitness level is compared to before GPP? Just trying to figure out the craze with Crossfit style gyms when the workout are so short.

A: i am going to be 100% honest. i am in WAY better shape now than i have ever been. and i work out WAY less. my workouts are super short. some as short as even 8 minutes! on average, though, workouts are 20-25 minutes 5-6 days a week. they may be weird workouts.. like tossing plates down a line (shown in the photo above) but these sometimes weird workouts WORK!

GPP has changed my life. these workouts have allowed me to get more done with my body in a shorter amount of time. neil, the owner, has a minimalist approach. he wants people to get the most bang for their buck. he wants people to get in, get out, and get on with their lives. nobody should be living in the gym! there is no reason to be there for hours at a time—or even ONE hour at a time.

it’s pretty cool to see the changes in both my body and my fitness level since i started GPP back in april. i attribute this to the constant changing up of workouts each and every day. jillian actually wrote a great post about this concept the other day, check it out. throwing so many different things at our body keeps us in check—we never adapt and we are always improving!

i mean, the fact that i was able to complete tough mudder with no training AND my workout results are constantly improving says a lot about GPP workouts. they work. end of story.

Q: How do you split up your training days? When working out 6 days a week do you do weights AND cardio all 6 days?

A: no way. i would never do cardio six days a week, haha. like i said above, i just follow the GPP workouts, so i don’t plan ahead. but i do know a bit about the programming since neil is training me to be a trainer.

basically, there are ten aspects of fitness that need to be hit multiple times each week. those aspects are cardio/endurance, strength, stamina, power, speed, agility, coordination, balance, flexibility, and accuracy. so it’s NOT just about weights and cardio! most people at GPP don’t go on saturday, so he tries to hit these ten things in the five weekday workouts, and saturday is a bonus round!

we never really know what is going to be thrown at us, but tuesdays are always heavy lifting/strength-focused days and you can always expect mondays and wednesdays to be pretty brutal. abs are usually hit near the end of the week, but sometimes they are thrown in on a monday, too, so you really don’t know what to expect. the nice thing is, you don’t have to worry about it. just show up and do the workout—no thought required. that’s what i love. i always record the outcome of my workout in case we come back to that one later—i can see how my time improves.

i improved my time on this workout (fitzoner) by 3.5 minutes in just a couple of months.

from the GPP site:

“If you follow our programming, each week you will gain balanced (left to right, top to bottom, back to front) and measured increase in each of these important aspects of your health and fitness.”

there’s a method to the madness, i know that for sure, so i don’t question it.

Q: I’m curious what changes you’ve seen in your body and fitness capacity since starting GPP. Their workouts are legit!

A: this goes along the same lines as the previous two questions, so i have kind of already answered it. but i have definitely seen awesome changes in my back, my abs, and my ARMS. i hate, hate, hated my arms for ever and ever. but thanks to the mixed up workouts at GPP, i am actually starting to really love them. i have noticed they are changing—big time—and i am thrilled. no shame in being stoked on results you see from diligent training!

what i like so much about my situation now is that i really have been a slack ass on my clean eating, but my workouts are intense enough that—on the outside–i haven’t suffered a great deal from crappy eating.  on the inside, however, i definitely have. that’s why i wrote my post on monday—i just feel crappy and need to clean up my diet!

knowing that i am eating worse than i used to AND i am exercising substantially less than i once was makes me even more happy. that means when i actually do get my diet in check, i can expect even better results. cool.

several people who train at GPP constantly PR their race times simply by showing up to GPP every day. they train less for their races and end up with better finishing times. like i said, i don’t question the method to the madness. the programming works and i will gladly reap the rewards from completing the workout each day.

Q: OK, this is kind of a personal question, but … do you still have abs? How hard was it (really) to get them? At what point in your BFL Challenge did they show up?

A: we all always HAVE abs! they are just sometimes covered by a nice, warm layer.. right? ha. to be honest, i had a bit of a—uh—winter layer to get rid of at the beginning of this year after an indulgent couple of months that started with my trip to mexico and went downhill from there. haha. i was happy to see my linea alba (the line down the middle of my abs) came back out to play after awhile of following the GPP workouts, which is nice.

since you asked about my BFL challenge, you can see my abdominal progression below, click the photo to enlarge.

untitled

as far as abs showing up.. i really think this has SO MUCH to do with genetics. not everyone can achieve a six pack or “washboard abs” or a super flat tummy—their muscles simply do not have that make up. you could lose almost all your body fat and you still could not have whatever ab look you are after, simply because you are not built that way. don’t get discouraged… just focus on being happy with the muscles you DO have.

personally, i used to wish i could have a totally flat stomach. i can’t. no matter how lean i am, i always have a slight bump under my belly button–i had it even at my leanest of 13% body fat. i got over it. who cares? nobody else does, so why should i? try to adopt that mentality if you are discouraged with the body god gave you. i mean, you should be pretty stoked you are in a position to actually care about how your abs look. thought catalog’s “18 signs you’re doing better than you think” made me think of that last thought. it’s a good article.. read it.

Q: What type of company do you work for?

A: i work for advanced window products. we manufacture and install vinyl replacement windows for residential homes. i am the CEO at the company.. meaning the “chief everything officer”. ha. i do lots of stuff there—accounting, human relations, customer service, you name it—i do it. it’s fun, though. i love the company i work for. we are like a family. a slightly dysfunctional family—but a family, no less. plus, i met marshall there. AND i get to work with two of my best friends, amanda and kerryne! if you ever need vinyl windows, siding, or roofing… i am your girl.

that’s all for this installment! here are the links to previous installments:

remember, you can ask me anything using the anonymous box in my sidebar to the right. no guarantees on how quick i will answer your question—haha, sorry. i am slow!

1. if you work, what type of company do you work for?

2. how do you split up your training days?

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 25, 2012 at 7:12 pm

I have to admit I’m very highly amused by the comment over the smell of dog’s feet. I’ve never had a dog so this is never something I’ve had the opportunity to “research” or even know was the case. Very interesting and kinda funny.

Also I’m certainly intrigued by GPP. Maybe you can get them to lead a workout at Blend next year so we can all try it? ;)

Janetha October 26, 2012 at 9:33 am

Don’t worry… we have something in store from GPP!

lorie October 25, 2012 at 8:00 pm

You can do GPP anywhere which is a bonus. I found them and have been following in Florida! I am getting a group together and we just check the site and get on it. I am a trainer and I love it and the programming is awesome. Sorry just a little GPP love. And yes, workout at Blend or a visit there.

Janetha October 26, 2012 at 9:33 am

Don’t worry, GPP will be a part of Blend FOR SURE!

meg October 25, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Ha! These questions make me want to come on down and hang out with you over the weekend and do GPP and snowboard (although it’s been a really long time since I’ve used my board– so sad!). Maybe someday! I promise to bring the “kids” too. I have definitely noticed the difference since you’ve started GPP. That place sounds so awesome and chill. My husband has been pushing me to join a crossfit gym around here, so maybe I will.

Janetha October 26, 2012 at 9:33 am

you totally need to come snowboard with me!

Tiffany October 25, 2012 at 8:57 pm

It’s snowing here today and I absolutely love it! Unfortunately I had to go to work (work for an agriculture lending bank) but once I got home the snow was an excuse to nap with bf and Lincoln then eat soup and get a hot drink at Starbucks. Justifications yo!

Corrie Anne October 25, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Working for myself right now, teaching piano. I’m a fan of not having to leave the house in the morning. I’m currently looking for some slippers I can pass off as shoes… at least for the AM students! Haha. My training is a little more random than it should be. I do cardio most days, thanks to my dog, and boot camp workouts or WODs when I have a chance. Plus the occasional yoga. It’s hard to fit it all in!

Janetha October 26, 2012 at 9:31 am

Oh I have two pair! One is Roxy and the other is DVS. Similar to these: http://www.zumiez.com/roxy-del-mar-black-and-grey-houndstooth-slippers.html

Ryan Thorr October 25, 2012 at 9:53 pm

I Think CrossFit is very effective if you have an experienced trainer who can really push you to an acceptable limit. The thing with exercise is you don’t have to spend hours working out at some gym to become fit – a short 5 minutes of daily intense exercise is just perfect!

Janetha October 26, 2012 at 8:08 am

Agreed! I’ve never tried crossfit but I have friends who have had great results from it!

Neil October 25, 2012 at 11:27 pm

I’m happy to take a bunch of the credit for your stellar results, but truth is, NO ONE works harder than you. NO ONE.

It was so funny. When we met back in April you were like, “I can probly come down here a couple times per week, or so…” Haha. I can’t remember the last time you missed. You are more dedicated than me!

You truly are an inspiration. Meeting you has changed my life. Too sappy? Sorry, it’s true.

Lorie – Thank you. You are a gem. Loved our talk.

Meg – When you are looking for a CF, try to find one with a very strong community. Find their blogsite and follow for a week or so online. You can tell a lot about a place by their community, if they have one.

Janetha October 26, 2012 at 9:30 am

haha.. not my fault you put crack in the drinking fountain water. i’m addicted ;)

thanks for all you do–for me and for many, many others. the sap is likewise, life changing! xo

Erica October 26, 2012 at 2:49 am

hahah I always say Frank smells like old dorritos :)

Janetha October 26, 2012 at 9:32 am

haha i love it

Lauren October 26, 2012 at 6:17 am

Your abs are always looking amazing lady!! :)
Have a great weekend love.

Coco October 26, 2012 at 6:47 am

Hola! Love reading your q&a, it makes me want to back to moves so badly.

I work for an international organization.

Moves? None recently, waiting for the 6 weeks postpartum checkup to get the clear from the doc.

Janetha October 26, 2012 at 9:29 am

You will be back in no time! <3 love youuu!

Corey @ When We Wander October 26, 2012 at 7:09 am

I work for the Army Aviation Association of America! I’m not enlisted or anything, but I love my job. I get to do a bit of traveling, and support our country’s soldiers!

barbara October 26, 2012 at 7:27 am

i have quite a few corn-chip-smelling-feet walking around the house right now.. i see bath-time in the near future.

do you wash those two often? and do you shed them, or just vacuum a lot? haha random, i know. i’m so tired of dog hair and dust. thinking we need some air purifiers in the house.. so i’m trying to see if other people deal with the same thing. again, random, i’m sure you couldn’t care less about my dog hair problem :)

betty October 26, 2012 at 9:06 am

and that was me :) forgot to clear barbara’s name when she entered yesterday :)

Janetha October 26, 2012 at 9:23 am

hahaha i legit thought it was barbara but it would have made sense coming from her, or you! love you! will reply to your comment above

Janetha October 26, 2012 at 9:29 am

Marshall is always vacuuming. I don’t vacuum.. haha.. I am a bad wife/roommate! They get baths maybe twice a month if they are lucky. Sometimes we just have the daycare do it. We are pretty bad about it.. but Randy gets so stinky! Does Scout? Penny can go longer without one, but Randy sometimes just HAS to get one.

They both shed SO MUCH. It’s ridic. We have an air purifier but just in the bedroom. I could talk about dog hair for days! Haha. Actually just had a text convo about it with some friends this morning! Random.

xoxo

betty October 26, 2012 at 9:56 am

haha i prob could too! scout gets stinky within a week. ace gets pretty bad too, since he is half hound. its so weird though, because i know so many people say its because of all their rolls, but scout and ace are NOT ‘roll-y’ at all. yogi doesnt really get stinky.. and sadie just gets oil build up down her back.

we want to get an air purifier in the main room (because we leave the dogs out during the day, so that dander just builds up) and in the bedroom, but the main room has vaulted ceilings, so its a lot of sq footage. i could come home every day and vacuum the main areas and dust the coffee table and there would be dog hair and dust by the end of the night.. again both from scout and ace.

if you know of any good purifiers, let me know :) thanks lady!

andddd congrats on all your hardwork with GPP..i would LOVE to find a community like this in our area. i’m sure there are some in richmond, but i’m not sure how to research something like that.

Amanda @ Romancing the Unusual October 26, 2012 at 7:37 am

ahh I love the smell of my dogs’ feet! :)
I’m in the progress of changing my training days around. I’ve been training for a marathon and it’s been difficult to get my weight training in. I’ll get there!

Megan October 26, 2012 at 7:59 am

I really want to go smell my dog’s feet right now.

LindsayH October 26, 2012 at 8:00 am

Dog feet smell like fritos because of yeast. All animals (incl humans) have bacteria that naturally resides on their skin. Since a dog’s feet have thick skin, hair between the toes, their feet get wet, sweat, etc. – they provide a lovely breeding ground for yeast. You can try to keep it under control by washing your dog’s feet often and trimming the hair between the toes, but it’s harmless. I’ve heard some people say it is because of corn in dog food, but that’s a myth. Even dogs who eat a grain-free diet can get frito feet.

Janetha October 26, 2012 at 9:26 am

I am so glad you left this info! THANK YOU! Makes sense!

Tracey October 26, 2012 at 8:49 am

When you did BFL how often were you working out? BTW: You look beautiful! Oh and thanks for the great recipes:)

Janetha October 26, 2012 at 9:25 am

I followed the BFL plan to a T. The workouts consist of alternating cardio and strength training days. You work out 6 days a week and have 1 day off. the 3 days of cardio are 20 minutes of HIIT. The 3 days of strength alternate upper body, lower body, upper body, lower body.. and so on.. for 12 weeks. Those workouts take 45 min. So it was just over 3 hours a week total.

Tracey October 27, 2012 at 6:59 am

Thanks for the reply back! Sounds like a program I’d like. Where can I find the workouts?

Janetha October 27, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Bodyforlife.com or the body for life book by bill Phillips.

Tracey October 28, 2012 at 5:41 am

Thank you!

Jenna October 26, 2012 at 8:59 am

Hi! Have you tried GPP’s online program?

Janetha October 26, 2012 at 9:22 am

No.. because I live 5 min from GPP! And when I miss, I just do the workout from a different gym.

Melissa B October 26, 2012 at 9:33 am

I love GPP! Your bod looks fantastic, PS so jealous! Neil is some sort of genius! Oh and I read that 18 signs you’re doing better than you think article…yeah that was definitely something I am glad I read today. Gracias!

Annette@FitnessPerks October 26, 2012 at 12:06 pm

You are awesome! I totally am going to try a few workouts from GPP at the gym. Thanks for sharing about such a great gym. How cool that you’ve found such a great spot to get fit for life?! love it.

Had to laugh about the dog smell….just because I am not a dog person. So it made me laugh that ya all know what you’re talking bout. Hah.

Janetha October 26, 2012 at 12:47 pm

You should come to GPP sometime! PLEASE.

Elizabeth M. October 26, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I read that the reason dogs feet smell like that is from the corn in the food you feed them. Aurora’s feet don’t smell like that because the food we feed her is grain free! I checked… Haha. Hers has garbanzo beans in it, so maybe she smells like hummus?

Janetha October 26, 2012 at 12:46 pm

a few comments up someone explained why–the corn thing is a myth! it’s the yeast.

Elizabeth M. October 26, 2012 at 12:56 pm

That’s just like me, spreading rumors… Haha.

Is there a GPP in the downtown area? I want to try it (even though I am SO out of shape, but I’m working on it) and I think my husband would like it too he loved crossfit but didn’t love how much time it took.

Janetha October 26, 2012 at 2:51 pm

There isn’t another location anywhere, unfortunately. BUT, you should come to Centerville sometime to try it out! First time is free and I would love to work out with you!

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva October 26, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Thanks for answering my question!!! I don’t work for a company really…but I totally love my job. I work for a freelance writer doing research and a bit of admin here and there. I absolutely love love love my boss.

As far as training….I don’t really have a set routine, but I tend to hit the weights about 3 days per week. One day lower body, and two days upper body (chest, shoulders & triceps one day and back and biceps the other). I throw in some cardio on the other days and usually do some ‘core’ type training or classes as well. Everything in balance without over thinking it too much :)

the delicate place October 26, 2012 at 1:56 pm

i work at a neuroscience company! yes, i do neuroscience for a living…it makes me nervous sometimes ;p p.s. i love your bathin suit at the 6 week BFL shot! also, my old dog now passed had paws that smelled like corn chips!

Ali October 27, 2012 at 9:22 am

That paw question is too funny! My mom always says that my dog’s paws are her favorite smell! So weird.

The idea of a 20-minute workout is so liberating. I often find myself shirking out of the gym because of the amount of time I’ll be there plus the time it takes to get there!

PurelyMichelle October 27, 2012 at 7:37 pm

girl, just had to say I love you! I am happy with short workouts too ;) You are looking amazing, and I hate my arms too! Lori is so much more toned, a little sister competition we have. haha

and I have no desire to a fitness competition either. I do not like attention, and getting on stage, ya I do not think so.

April October 27, 2012 at 11:23 pm

I love how excited you are about GPP and that has rubbed off on me. I have been lurking on their site for several months, ever since you talked about the “Leg Shredder” workout. I loved seeing you one their website, with your rowing video. I am very excited about their challenge and have commited, along with cycles of BCD as my health challenge. Thank you so much for your enthusiasm and encouraging all of us to be better, yet also showing how human you are and that everything isn’t perfect, all the time.

Janetha October 28, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Saw your comment on the GPP blog! It’s really a fun community, like nothing else. Glad to have you in board!

Jillian @ Sprinkle Massacre October 29, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Yay! So glad I read above in the comments that GPP will happen at Blend! and Yay for progress – so true about the change in stimulus. It’s crazy how much quicker your body responds.

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning October 29, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Ha- even your abs on your absolute WORST day look better than mine ever will! Here’s a question- what does GPP stand for? (Sorry if you’ve answered this before!) I am DYING to work out with Neil!

Janetha October 29, 2012 at 6:56 pm

General physical preparedness. GPP is all about minimalism… Putting in a lot of effort in a short time to create the most fit body to be prepared to deal with anything life throws at us. Functional fitness:)

jessiker November 1, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Popcorn puppy feet! Always thought that.