try something new: make kale chips.

by Janetha on October 18, 2012

in how to,recipes

kale chips have been around for ages, but i have always been too lazy to try my hand at a batch. i like eating kale chips, but they are so flipping expensive at the store! i looked at whole foods the other day and it was, like, $7 for a small bag. what the??

i am all for kitchen adventures, so i finally decided to try making my own! turns out they are simple and tasty. double win.

a ten-step guide to making kale chips!

you will need:

• 1 bunch of kale
  • 2-3 TB seasoning blend of choice
  • 1-2 TB oil of choice
  • an oven
  • a nonstick baking sheet

recipe can be doubled, tripled, quadrupled.. the choice is yours!

step 1: buy a bunch of kale.

i bought organic.

step 2: preheat your oven to 300* F.

step 3: wash the kale and dry it very well. remove the leaves from the ribs. you don’t want the ribs.

IMG_4987IMG_4998IMG_5000

step 4: make your seasoning blend.

i used a couple tablespoons of a pre-made nutritional yeast blend from cali’s market.. but you could make your own using nutritional yeast, garlic powder, dried basil, dried oregano, salt, and pepper. that’s basically what this stuff is. if you are in utah, you should pick some up at cali’s. it’s so good.

step 5: pick your oil.

you want to use a tablespoon or two of oil for the kale chips. i chose coconut.

step 6: put your kale leaves in a bowl and coat with oil, toss to distribute, then with seasoning, tossing once more to distribute.

IMG_5016IMG_5020

step 7: reduce oven heat to 250* F.

step 8: lay kale leaves on a nonstick baking sheet (i lined mine with a silicone mat.)

step 9: bake kale for 20-30 minutes, flipping leaves over periodically throughout the process—maybe every 7-8 minutes. when they look nice and crisp, remove from oven.

step 10: let cool completely and then eat immediately! or store in an airtight bag/container for later.

i loved the chips that had seasoning piled up in the crevices of the leaves!

these were sooo good.. and so much cheaper than buying kale chips at the store! i wouldn’t compare kale chips to any other chips (potato, tortilla, etc) because they are definitely a different type of snack. they are an awesome option when you are craving something salty and crunchy but want to keep your diet clean!

1. do you like kale chips? ever made your own? feel free to share your method or favorite seasoning blends!

2. what was your last kitchen experiment/adventure?

Lauren October 18, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Love kale chips and I love making them but I do admit, the bagged ones they sell at the store are incredible. Mine never come out that crunchy.

Jayme October 18, 2012 at 7:24 pm

These are on my list to make! I haven’t tried them yet.

Claire October 18, 2012 at 7:38 pm

I tried making kale chips once…it did not turn out too swell though. They were crispy and the seasonings I used are ones I know I love, BUT they tasted nasty! weird after taste or something, I can’t remember exactly what the problem was since it was a long time ago (and I haven’t attempted since).
I have never tried the packaged ones though. Maybe mine did taste like normal ones and I just don’t like kale chips! I should test that theory..

Brittany @Berries and Barbells October 18, 2012 at 7:43 pm

I’m going to give these a try! They look very tasty. My latest kitchen experiment was Pumpkin French Toast. It turned out great.

Brittney @ Brittney Breathing October 18, 2012 at 7:44 pm

I am OBSESSED with kale chips!!! I could seriously eat them every day and not get sick of them. I usually do 1 tbs olive oil, garlic salt, pepper, nutritional yeast, and 1-2 tbs of soy sauce. SO GOOD! I’ve wanted to try salt and vinegar kale chips for while…just need to find a recipe!

Giselle@ahealthyhappyhome October 18, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Love Kale chips but don’t make them often enough. I’ve actually never purchased store bought kale chips because they are so expensive and I’m worried I won’t like them. Can’t go wrong with making them! Well, unless you burn them, like I’ve done before :-(

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance October 19, 2012 at 3:19 am

I LOVE kale chips! I use a seasoning blend very similar to yours. Isn’t it a great snack? Something different and healthy. Score! :)

emma October 19, 2012 at 4:08 am

Hey! I made some kale chips a while back. They were nice but I definitely needed to coat them in more seasoning to make them addictive! :-)

Erica October 19, 2012 at 4:36 am

I’ve never done it either….I feel lazy :) I’m actually on my way to the store here soon…maybe its time! Yours look delicious

Stacey October 19, 2012 at 5:12 am

LOVE THEM! I could eat huge quantities easily – they almost just dissolve in your mouth. I love doing a salt/vinegar one as well as one similar to yours or sometimes just a spray of olive oil (I got a mister thing so I just lay out the kale, mist and bake!) and sea salt.

Lee October 19, 2012 at 6:30 am

My favorite recipe is this one – http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2012/09/cheezy-kale-chips-saturday-snacking.html

I think that cooking them for longer at a lower temperature is key. I’ve done it at 375 for ten minutes and while they got crispy, they just tasted burnt.

Katie October 19, 2012 at 7:06 am

I’m going to have to try your LOWING THE HEAT step next time I make them. I always cook them at higher temps for shorter time, but I always end up with a few burnt ones. Gracias.

Maren October 19, 2012 at 7:09 am

I love kale chips and so does Nate! If it’ll keep him away from potato chips for one night, I’m all for it! I use garlic salt, nooch, and smoked paprika. Try it! It’s amazing! :) Happy Friday chick!

Calee (@chimes) — life + running October 19, 2012 at 8:58 am

We have all had kale on the brain this week! I am totally with you … $7 for chips? The ones I’ve been getting are nacho cheese flavor and super amazing tasting, but it doesn’t beat making your own on the cheap.

I need to get nooch. This is the 2nd recipe I’ve seen with that included!

Calee (@chimes) — life + running October 19, 2012 at 8:59 am

Also, good tip about reducing the heat. A bunch of sites that I saw had 350° and I knew that was too much. I saw 300° somewhere, and gave that a try.

Heather @ Better With Veggies October 19, 2012 at 10:38 am

I love kale chips!! Instead of tossing mine in oil, I spray it with olive oil in a mister and then sprinkle with seasons. It seems like less oil, although I guess I don’t know for sure. :)

Nicole C October 19, 2012 at 11:23 am

Nope, I have never made them or tried them but I have a plethora of kale in my fridge. So, guess what I will be doing this weekend!

My last kitchen experiment was last night making chocolate chip protein balls. Not bad, not bad at all. I’m trying to find healthy, easy snacks for my friend who had a baby recently.

Jentry Nielsen October 19, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Oh my goodness I’ve always wanted to try kale chips, yet am cooking handicap for some reason so I thought I could never pull it off! These actually do look so easy! I have got to try this out now! Thanks for simplifying it for us! ha

Dana @Muscles, Miles, and Meals October 19, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Kale chips are fantastic! I usually just use a little olive oil and sea salt, but bake them at 350 degrees. To cut down on time I buy a big bag of pre-cut/washed kale so I don’t have to deal with stripping it down and tearing apart.

Janetha October 19, 2012 at 3:08 pm

great idea!

Annette@FitnessPerks October 19, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I like making kale chips with lemon, oo, garlic, and nutr yeast. Yumm!

Lisa October 19, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I love kale chips. My favorite way to make them is with coconut oil, nutritional yeast, coconut flour or almond flour. SO good. Except I’ve kind of been avoiding them for a bit since last time I bought kale their was a huge spider in the bunch. Oh man, makes me cringe thinking about it!;)

Janetha October 19, 2012 at 3:08 pm

oh. geez. YIKES!

glidingcalm October 19, 2012 at 9:56 pm

ive never tried making them with nooch! i need to do that!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) October 21, 2012 at 7:06 pm

the oil is KEY to making them crunchy! coconut oil is DA BOMBBB…you rock :)

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner October 22, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Kale Chips are my favorite!!!! Hopefully my mom will pick me up some more kale from the store tomorrow and I can make some of this yumminess. ;)

Logan @ Mountains and Miles January 10, 2013 at 6:42 pm

I just made these – it is my first ever attempt at kale chips – and they turned out sooo good!!!! I made mine with garlic and red pepper flakes for some heat, and I finished half of the batch about 10 minutes after they were done. I had to have my boyfriend hid the rest so I can enjoy some tomorrow! I am going to have to buy a lot more kale and make this in bulk. Love them!

Janetha January 10, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Yay! Thanks for the feedback!