fun finds & upcoming events.

by Janetha on October 7, 2012

in random rambles

hola! it’s been a minute since i sat down to blog (and not just re-post a previous flashback friday) so i really don’t intend to recap everything i have been up to. too time consuming for me to type, too boring for you to read.

instead, how about a couple highlights?

friday highlight: the metric show with marshall & my ladies followed by more shenanigans at dick & dixie’s.

NewImageNewImage

saturday highlight: went out to eat at chanon thai (a new-to-me spot) which is on 9th south and 3rd east. SUPER GOOD THAI.. utah locals MUST try it!

sunday highlight: hike up adams canyon with amanda. it was a bit chilly, but the waterfall at the end of the challenging hike was worth it! we got lost a few times… making the round trip around 4.5-5 miles. good times.

NewImage

after the hike i hit up TJ maxx in search of some K-cups for my keurig… they usually have them on sale. well, they didn’t have any there today. whomp, whomp. but the trip was not a total bust.. i managed to drop $100 before heading back out the door. isn’t that ALWAYS the case with places like that? i swear i can’t be tamed when i am at TJ maxx, marshall’s, target, or costco. (speaking of costco.. yep, i over-spent there today, too.)

i have to say, though, for $100 i really got a lot of stuff! i am a good bargain shopper. check it out!

*3 pair of puma socks for $6–because you can never have too many socks… right?

IMG 6673

*two long sleeve workout tops for $17 (hind one) and $25 (nike one)–because i realized i am going to actually need warmer workout gear this winter! every other winter of my life, i worked out at gold’s gym (aka all indoors all the time.) but now that i am exclusively at GPP, i will be running outside on the days the workout calls for a run. saturday’s workout had four 400m runs and it was a wee bit chilly. nothing that required extra clothing, but it got me thinking about the upcoming winter months and i decided i better be prepared!

IMG 6684IMG 6688

oh and the only requirement on long sleeved workout gear? THUMB HOLES. these both have them. (i used to cut thumb holes in all my hoodies as a teenager.)

*a pair of aviators for $17–because i have a pair of black ones, but i am weird and like my sunglasses to “go” with my outfits so these ones will be good when i am wearing golds/browns/earth tones. yeah, i am an odd one.

IMG 6681

*and finally, a pair of new balance kicks on CLEARANCE! whoop! they were the last pair and they happened to be my size–yay for tiny feet! snagged these for $32.

IMG 6678

sadly, they will be ruined in less than a week. i actually picked up the new balance shoes for my upcoming tough mudder. eep! yeah, it’s this coming saturday!! so nervous. i was going to wear my vibrams because they worked so well in the dirty dash a few months back, but then i realized the terrain may be sharp and rocky and vibrams may not be the best choice. however, i have become a minimal shoe convert and running in my old asics sounded like a bad idea–especially since i will be weighted down with mud during the race! when i spotted these new balances today i was super stoked–now i have a pair of (cheap) minimal shoes for the race and i don’t have to worry about ruining a pricy pair! i am sorta sad, though, because i like them a lot and ruining them in the mud is kinda crappy. oh well, such is life.

and that brings me to my next item of business.. all these upcoming events! i was just talking to marshall and i realized that the rest of the saturdays in october are filled with fitness activities!

the first saturday (this upcoming one, the 13th) is the tough mudder.

NewImage

i haven’t really blogged about the tough mudder. it actually snuck up on me and i am really scared that it is on saturday! i haven’t been doing any additional training to prepare for the race—just my daily GPP. i hope it’s enough to power me through the 10+ mile muddy obstacle course.

Screen Shot 2012 10 07 at 8 46 27 PM

i have to say i am most nervous for obstacle #3–arctic enema! um, plunging into an icy pool?! my skin crawls just thinking about it. i am also worried about the mystery obstacles–there are two of them. i hope they don’t surprise me with monkey bars, because this girl cannot cross those. i hear you can skip any obstacle and do burpees instead, so i think i will be doing A LOT of burpees during the race! wish me luck!

speaking of burpees.. that brings me to the next event! on october 20th i am participating in the burpee mile. i can’t WAIT for this event. it is going to be a fun way to gather together with so many fitness freaks here in utah. we are using our fitness to do a mile of burpees in order to raise money for no more victims (a charity that helps abused children.)

Screen Shot 2012 10 07 at 8 50 55 PM

i have said it before and i will say it again, if you are a utah local you REALLY should come out to this event! i don’t want you to get scared by the idea of doing a mile of burpees. this isn’t a race and it isn’t for time. even if you can only do ONE burpee, you should still come. everyone is welcome–young and old. it won’t be some die hard, strenuous mile of burpees like you are thinking. this will be a community event where we all do the burpees in unison and take needed breaks and just have a great time using our fitness for a great cause! please come! it’s only five bucks and for a good cause. (click here to sign up!)

the third and final saturday of the month i am doing the zombie chase! amanda, kerryne, and i have signed up to do this 5k where you chase zombies through a haunted house filled with obstacles!

Screen Shot 2012 10 07 at 8 53 08 PM

it is the first year for this race, so i am not sure how it will be, but it sounds really fun and festive for halloween! 5ks are perfect for me–i don’t love to run because i get bored, but the short distance of a 5k isn’t bad at all. plus, all the obstacles and the fact that it is in a haunted house will be pretty rad. i am excited!

well, i gotta jet. dexter is almost on! that is the only television show i can get behind. well, aside from re-runs of the family feud with richard dawson. he’s so dreamy.

have a great monday!

1. what was your latest and greatest bargain?

2. do you like races? what type/length do you like best? (obstacle, 5k, triathlon, mud run, etc)

Momma b October 7, 2012 at 9:58 pm

I’m laughing out loud….he’s just dreamy…haha!! You are the cutest blogger ever.

Love your bargains! Sounds like some well spent ‘alone’ time :-)

I got some cute bright blue TOMS 25% off! So naturally I bought a pair of black ones for full price.

The only races I like involve sand timers and words…missing our boggle nights!

I love you!
xo

Brittany @Berries and Barbells October 7, 2012 at 10:19 pm

I haven’t been shopping in forever but I was just telling my husband I need to get myself some winter running gear!

I don’t know what my favorite race is but I have been training all summer for my first half marathon. It is this Saturday and I’m SUPER excited about it.

Laura October 7, 2012 at 10:21 pm

It is so not weird to match your sunglasses to your outfit! I can’t imagine not doing it.

My latest and greatest bargain were two pairs of sunglasses for $20 – 2 pairs of the same style in different colours to match my outfits.

Iris Lee October 7, 2012 at 11:08 pm

TJ Maxx is the best! So dangerous though – I want to buy everything because it’s so cheap, but somehow it all adds up…

And the burpee mile sounds crazy fun! I’ve been loving burpees lately… never done a mile of them though!

Kelsey October 8, 2012 at 3:51 am

Zombies!! That sounds like such a fun race.. And sweeeet tj maxx finds!!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance October 8, 2012 at 4:40 am

The Tough Mudder is going to be so much fun! I hope you enjoy it. It’s really unlike any other race.

Great finds at TJ Maxx. I love snagging workout clothes at places like that. :)

Ashley @ Freckles & Spice October 8, 2012 at 6:58 am

That burpee run looks kind of awesome! Love the obstacle course races because they add such a different element and its a good mix up. In high school when I ran cross country there was one school who’s course had a mud pit. Always my fav race of the year.

Amanda October 8, 2012 at 7:05 am

I’ve done Tough Mudder! The arctic enema was the worst! Not going to sugar coat it! Ha. The course I did also had monkey bars, but each course is different. I did every obstacle but one, but they never forced anyone to do burpees for skipping them. Overall, it was extremely challenging but one of the most fun races I’ve ever done! I’m sure you’ll love it!

kristen @ livinlifeinlouie October 8, 2012 at 7:06 am

you are one busy lady!! But I will say ALL of these events sound like a blast!!! There is a zombie run here, but I can’t get anyone to sign up with me haha
I also love a deal. Why is it you can’t leave target without spending 100 bucks……

kristen @ livinlifeinlouie October 8, 2012 at 7:07 am

I have the same issue! and I have to go there today!

Mollie @Sprinkles of Life October 8, 2012 at 7:19 am

Nothing wrong with matching sunglasses to outfits! That’s why I have WAY too many pairs of sunglasses!
That zombie 5K sounds awesome!! And good luck this Saturday! I bet you won’t be doing as many burpees as you think ;)

Megan October 8, 2012 at 7:56 am

1. You’re right about ruining shoes! I did the Tough Mudder in March, and lost my shoes at mile 9 in a long stretch of thick muddy river. I did the last three miles barefoot, which was a real treat. Good luck, though! It really is a good time. Although, I did it with my fiance (now husband), and we joke that it was pretty perfect premarital counseling. Apparently he deals with “obstacles” with a much better attitude than I do!

2. Dexter. So hot right now.

Calee October 8, 2012 at 8:12 am

so jealous you saw metric. looks like fun! have fun with all your funky races. :) I want to do a zombie race.

Erica October 8, 2012 at 9:10 am

That race looks awesome! Cannot wait for that recap. Love the new sneaks! Want. I just got new saconys.

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige October 8, 2012 at 9:22 am

NICE TJ Maxx scores! I haven’t been there in a minute. Gotta change that.
I think those zombie races sound like so much fun. All of your upcoming races sound like fun, actually!

Corrie Anne October 8, 2012 at 10:00 am

TJ Maxx is the BEST for finding workout clothes. Even cheaper than like the Nike Outlet. Love it!! I am feeling the same way about buying more winter athletic clothing since I have an extremely leggy, hyperactive dog who will need to run outdoors in the winter. And it’s already snowed here in Denver!! I want to try a burpee mile sometime, but I’m too prissy for the tough mudder. My brother did it and loved it though!

Emily @ www.main-eats.com October 8, 2012 at 2:56 pm

You got some great deals! I really like racing-don’t like running but I sure do like to race! There’s something about all of the amazing energy-can’t get enough!

Bria @ West of Persia October 8, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I used to be really into races…5Ks, 10ks, etc.

Maybe I’ll get back into that stuff again.

I went to the Metric show a couple weeks ago here in NYC. Was fab! Loooooove that band.

Ser October 8, 2012 at 6:12 pm

You know, I washed a pair of shoes after a mud race, and they looked fine. I just rinsed them out really well first, then soaked them in a sink full of water with laundry detergent and oxy-clean. I scrubbed them with a scrub brush, and changed the water a few times. They came out looking better than before the race!

Janetha October 8, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Cool I will try it!

Annette@FitnessPerks October 8, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Love me some Target & TJ Maxx :)

I am trying to switch some things around to do the Burpee Mile–stay tuned! I hope I can!

Never done an obstacle course or muddy course–they don’t really appeal to me?! Weird. Maybe I need a group of people who’d do it with me. Haha.

Jenna October 8, 2012 at 8:13 pm

I did Tough Mudder last week. It was hard, but so much fun! The Artic Enema wasn’t too bad. The cold does make it feel like you’ve had the wind knocked out of you so be prepared for that. The Walk the Plank got me it’s so much higher than it looks! I did it with a group of about 20 people from my Crossfit, and we already signed up for next year if that that tells you anything :)

Lea @ Coffee and Greens October 8, 2012 at 9:12 pm

That zombie race sounds like a lot of fun! Nothing like a zombie chasing you for a little motivation!
I love races, they’re pretty much the only thing that get me motivated to run! I love the atmosphere, pre-race adrenaline, and the free-swag is a fun bonus.

Becky @ TheBexFactor.com October 9, 2012 at 11:51 am

I’m excited to hear how the Tough Mudder goes for you. I’m planning on doing it next year. It kind of terrifies me! Looks way more intense and scary then the races I’ve done so far.

colleenzo October 9, 2012 at 12:07 pm

1. I totally do the same thing with sunglasses, and
2. Regardless of the terrain, I TOTALLY recommend still using the 5-fingers for the Tough Mudder. I was the only person on my team of 12 with vibrams instead of regular shoes, and everyone else was completely jealous of me b/c regular shoes get HEAVY and it takes three times the energy to move your legs. 5-fingers get a little heavier, but not nearly as bad as regular. I say go for it, and save those cute shoes!

Neil October 9, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Can’t believe you are doing the Tough Mudder. I fear that race. You know they have electrocution at the end, right?

WOW! You are one tough chica!

Janetha October 9, 2012 at 8:28 pm

You better have programmed me to get through this shit.. just saying.. if I fail, I blame my trainer. ;)

meggi October 10, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Oh Canon Thai is one of my FAVORITE places in Salt Lake! Their Tom Ka is the best! :)

And holy cow, I love where this season of Dexter is going!