the burpee mile.

by Janetha on October 4, 2012

in Uncategorized

hey, friends! i am popping in at an odd time today to tell you about an exciting event that meals & moves is sponsoring!

my gym, GPP, has organized a community event to benefit no more victims—an organization that helps abused children. we will all band together on october 20th to do a MILE of BURPEES!

yes. one mile. of burpees.

more about the event from GPP:

This event is about using our fitness to help and serve others. All proceeds go to No More Victims.

This event is also about unity among the health and fitness professionals in Utah. We want to give as many different gyms a chance to promote themselves and share their passion for fitness. We will give them the opportunity to LEAD PART OF THE BURPEE MILE! They can stand and represent themselves and show the strength and professionalism of their facility. All gyms can give out prizes and swag to their hearts content.

We will have contests for some awesome prizes too! Like free memberships! With so many quality fitness professionals in Utah it is high time we came together to start a revolution for positive impact. Many media companies have been contacted. We have some fun surprises in store.

Logistics: How the Burpee Mile will progress is together. We all do a burpee and then jump forward to the next one. We pause for a bit before starting the next burpee. We will take some breaks and pace ourselves because this is NOT a race. It’s a group effort for a greater purpose. We begin together and we finish together. If you need a breather then walk with the group as the group progresses then join back in with burpees when you are ready.

i am so excited to participate in the burpee mile! and i am also grateful to have the means to donate to the burpee mile event so meals & moves can be a sponsor. as stated above, ALL proceeds (including the $5 registration fees, $20 shirt fees, and $100 sponsor fees) will go to no more victims.

it’s pretty amazing that so many different fitness factories are banding together to use their fitness for a greater good. so many times i hear about different gyms bickering with each other about which one has the better training methods, facilities, or other silly things… but one thing we ALL have in common is a love for fitness and making each day better than the last.

another thing we all have in common is the burpee! whether you love it or hate it, you can’t deny that it is a move that has many benefits and hits several of the ten aspects of fitness. i have seen people doing burpees in every single gym i’ve ever been to—and in every single fitness program i have participated in (including insanity, jamie eason’s livefit trainer, and the fitmixer bootcamp!)

so, utah locals, i urge you to sign up and join me in a mile of burpees on saturday, october 20th! please come, i would love to see all of you (and meet many of you for the first time! what a great chance to do so!)

if you would like to participate in the burpee mile OFFSITE, you totally can! everyone is welcome and we would love to see photos of you doing your own burpee mile remotely!

CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR THE BURPEE MILE!

if you have any questions about the event, please leave them in the comments below. also, if you are interested in sponsoring the event and would like your blog or brand name on the back of the shirt, sponsorships are being accepted until october 10th! you can also leave a comment below stating your interest in sponsorship.

i look forward to october 20th and hope to see you there!

Heather @ Better With Veggies October 4, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Holy Moly this sounds hard! What a great cause and a unique event! I hope you’ll be taking pictures at this one and sharing your experience. :)

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat October 4, 2012 at 1:02 pm

What a neat alternative to a race, for a great cause – can’t wait to read how it goes!

the delicate place October 4, 2012 at 1:08 pm

oooh girl. that is the march of death right there! i watched some people on youtube do it and it took them like 2-3hrs! i cannot imagine doing an entire mile of burpees!? crazy!

Mollie @Sprinkles of Life October 4, 2012 at 1:18 pm

What a great event, Janetha! You should be proud to be a sponsor. Good for you! Wish Utah wasn’t so far from Iowa :)

Lisa October 4, 2012 at 1:36 pm

This sounds super hard, but so worth it for a good cause! I love things like this, that incorporate fun exercise and raise money for charity.
That’s so great your a sponsor!

Calee (@chimes) — life + running October 4, 2012 at 1:45 pm

This is the coolest idea ever! If I was in Utah, I’d totally do it. Also, I can’t do burpees right now anyway (d’oh). I might try to do a modified one on one foot, but that could result in another injury.

Tina @ Best Body Fitness October 4, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I. Would. Die. But awesome idea and love the cause behind it. I hope it goes fabulously! And that people don’t hate you all too much at the end.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 4, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I do not envy you. We did .25mile of burpees in crossfit a few weeks ago and I thought I might die. 90 degree temps at the time didn’t help either. Good luck and at least you have a good reason to be doing this, when it’s just for the sake of a workout you seriously begin to question your sanity!

Brittany @Berries and Barbells October 4, 2012 at 2:11 pm

This sounds torturous but worthwhile!!!

momma b. October 4, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Hey there! If I’m not in St George that weekend I want to sign up – is this something an old woman can do?!?!?

I love you sweetie!!

xo

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 4, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Wow! I love simple acts that can go a long way. I’m not sure if I can complete a mile of Burpees but I know that I sure can TRY!

Bonnie October 4, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Okay. You know that i love burpees. And great causes. And group events. And you! And Utah’s seriously not that far from Calgary – I’m considering road tripping down and doing this! The only thing would be finances – kinda tight right now for a road trip like that but I LOVE the idea (and would honestly do this on a weekend – I’m tempted to do it in my spare time! lol)…What do you think?!

Janetha October 4, 2012 at 10:35 pm

It is funny, I thought of you specifically when I first learned about the event. You do love your burpees! You guys could totally do it remotely if you couldn’t make it down here–plus, you should save your trip to UT for the winter so we can shred ;) You should do the burpee mile up there and film/take pics!! Let me know if you want to do it!

Leigh October 12, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I’d be down to do it with you Bonnie! Name the place and time :)

Neil October 4, 2012 at 11:50 pm

It won’t be as bad as many of the burpee miles you may have seen on the ol interweb. We do it differently. Instead of doing a kick-back burpee with a strict pushup, we are doing a fall forward burpee to a broad jump. I go about 12 feet per burp. But here is the kicker. Since it is a community event and since we all are in this together, we all benefit from each other’s work. How that works is, everybody does a burpee. Whoever went the furthest, we all come up to that spot to start our next on. If you got a guy there who is 6’9″ and an Olympic broad jumper – it’s going to go pretty fast. Remember, this isn’t about the ass-whoopin. It is about using our collective health to support others. It’s going to be cool. Hope to see you. Thanks for your support J! Love you dear.

Janetha October 5, 2012 at 9:40 am

I was really surprised how quick and painless the half mile was during Rx+ week! I am so stoked for this. And for the banding together of fit-minded folks in general. NWO ;)

SweatyGirl October 5, 2012 at 6:30 am

Ok, the charity aspect aside – that burpee mile sounds like the most horrific idea ever! lol. No thank you!

Make it like… the cupcake mile… and I’m in! :-)

Kristen October 5, 2012 at 5:17 pm

I love this idea! I’m far away on the east coast but may suggest something similar here.