summer bucket list: a look back.

by Janetha on September 22, 2012

in goals

whelp, summer is OFFICIALLY over. yep, today is the first day of fall. or autumn. whichever term floats your boat—i personally prefer fall. why don’t any of the other seasons have two names? weird.

anyway, you may recall my summer bucket list that i posted a few months back…

i am pretty impressed with the fact that i did ALMOST all 30 things on my list. let’s talk about it!

1. go camping. three times! i went to altamont 6/30/12. i went to beth lake on 8/11/12. i went to trial lake on 8/25/12.

2. grow a plant. (err.. keep a plant alive) bought the easiest to keep alive plant ever–living stones–on 8/4/12. it’s still kickin’!

3. take a cooking class with marshall. took a caribbean cooking class on 7/5/12

4. visit another country.  went to costa rica 7/18/12-7/28/12

5. swim. swam in st. george on 6/22/12 and again at lake las vegas last weekend.

6. buy art. bought the labyrinth original artwork by kat martin on 6/16/2012

7. have a picnic. had one at liberty park with bloggers on 6/30/12

8. cross the monkey bars. big fat FAIL. i didn’t even try once to cross them. whomp, whomp.. i need to keep this goal in mind, f’reals.

9. read a book. i read “gone girl” while in costa rica.

10. pay it forward. i gave lots of random people on the street corners money and/or food (bars). i also paid for people behind me in the drive thru.

11. road trip. st. george and vegas! 6/22/12-6/24/12 and vegas AGAIN last weekend!

12. farmers market. 6/16/2012 was the first time… and then i went a whole bunch of times after that!

13. eat at three new brunch spots. #1: bear paw cafe on 6/24/12, #2 z’tejas on 7/7/12, #3 bread & chocolate on 7/26/12 (in costa rica)—i actually went more new places than just three, but those were the first three.

14. bikram. 7/8/12 with kerryne

15. blogger potluck. 6/30/12

16. make coconut ice cream.  did this on 9/14/12 on my family vacation

17. like my arms. i used to hate my arms and think they were fat and ugly. we all have our issues. i have been working on them. rock climbing on 7/14/12 helped this a lot! RX+ week drove this home.. i like them. dare i say a lot? yeah.. actually.. i LOVE my arms these days. thanks, GPP.

18. mow the lawn. done 8/19/12… it was not fun, but i did it.

19. hike. hiked in the jungle of manzanillo on 7/25/12 (costa rica) hiked pipeline on 8/15/12

20. walk the dogs. we have been walking them on the warm summer nights as much as possible!

21. ride motorcycle to ruth’s diner. went on 8/5/12 and it was so fun! i am loving the motorcycle :)

22. game night. played phase 10 with friends on 7/19/12, 7/20/12 (costa rica) and also on 9/14/12 with family

23. wakeboarding. went on 9/13/12 for my mom’s 60th birthday!

24. rock climbing. went on 7/14/12 cannot wait to go again—have a groupon i need to use!

25. bike. 6/16/2012 biked to barnes & noble and around town solo. went again on 7/15/12. i didn’t bike enough, though.

26. donate old, unused belongings. got rid of SO MANY CLOTHES! on more than one occasion! thank goodness.

27. eat a tin foil dinner. ate one on 8/25/12… it wasn’t very good. i need a re-do.

28. go to lagoon. went on 7/13/12

29. enjoy the backyard. FAIL. our backyard sucks. we aim to have a nice backyard and garden next year.. just for the tomatoes alone.

30. make dutch oven peach cobbler. made it while camping on 8/11/12

and that’s that! twenty eight out of thirty is not too shabby at all. i am glad i made the bucket list and lived the summer to its very fullest. it was a great summer, that’s for sure. but i am definitely ready for fall… and for WINTER. i love the snow!!

1. what was one of your favorite things you did this summer?

2. what was on your summer list, but you never got around to completing?

Molly @ A Fresh Start For Molly September 22, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Awesome job! I posted my updated Summer To-Do List today, but yours was much more ambitious than mine!

Erica September 22, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Good job girl! You kicked butt on that list. And your arms- totally fabulous. My favorite thing I did this summer? Celebrate Kaylin’s first birthday party. I wish I had gone to the farmers market more

kim@hungryhealthygirl September 22, 2012 at 6:06 pm

What a great Summer you’ve had! Way to go on accomplishing so much! I had a wonderful Summer too. I wanted to grow a garden, but maybe next year. I went on a fun-filled family road trip. Here’s to a fantastic Fall!!

Jessica @jessicafarrulla.com September 22, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Wait…whaat? Summer’s over?! ;)

@pluvk September 22, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Definitely camping… My hubs and kept trying to camp all summer, and never did it, not even once. Sad. One thing we DID do was hike to a waterfall. It was great!

Corrie Anne September 22, 2012 at 11:37 pm

we got a new house. and a new piano! and i guess i have a new business. it was a pretty busy summer! i’m super bummed that summer is over, but we’re probably taking at least a mini vacation in oct! the rock climbing looks awesome!

Ellen September 23, 2012 at 12:49 am

I went swimming, I went hiking, I went to concerts in the park…didn’t manage to see any owls while hiking(an ongoing goal of a friend of mine and I), didn’t make gazpacho, and missed some exhibits at the Getty I really wanted to see. All in all not a bad summer though. Not at all.

Kayla September 23, 2012 at 5:09 am

great job on crossing off 28/30!! are you planning on making fall bucket list to share?

Angie @ Pint of Goals September 23, 2012 at 6:40 am

The best thing I did this summer was go to Croatia – it is SO beautiful there. Unfortunately, I never got around to try paddle boarding. There’s always next summer, though.

Bria @ West of Persia September 23, 2012 at 8:40 am

Nice job on the summer list, lady! My summer favorites were a few awesome hikes I went on.

purelytwins September 23, 2012 at 12:41 pm

your amazing! just sayin
so impressive with your list and getting things done! not sure if we could say the same ;)
we are excited for fall too!

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige September 23, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Great job! I can’t really say the same for myself LOL
Also love that you had make dutch oven peach cobbler on both your summer and fall bucket lists :) haha

Janetha September 23, 2012 at 3:56 pm

No fall bucket list for me! But if I had one, it would be on there. Yum.

Calee (@chimes) September 24, 2012 at 9:14 am

Thanks to you I’m making bucket lists for everything. ha.

My favorite thing I did this summer was going cabrewing. Though it almost killed me.

glidingcalm September 24, 2012 at 9:37 am

so cool! I’ve never really written a bucket list because they’re intimidating, but I always admire bloggers that can do it and stick to it! Plus, all of your items are fun and awesome! (I would like to one day like my arms again too.)

anddddddddddd i also wanted to go camping this summer , but didn’t get around to it!! I did swim though and I am totally addicted once again! (I used to be in the water everyday when I was growing up!) too bad the lakes dont stay 70 or 80 degrees year round, right? :P ………..and no, I haven’t looked into a pool!

LOVE YOU! happy monday

Salah@BeatYourBest September 24, 2012 at 10:42 am

I LOVE this post! THere is something so inspiring about seeing other people’s bucket lists! Ps. I think its even more awesome that you had a SUMMER bucket list!!

I didn’t have a set summer bucket list, but this summer I did the Whole 30 Paleo challenge, and that was awesome! I had no idea how much sugar I was ingesting! CRAZY! It was a huge eye opener!

I really wanted to go wakeboarding (still have time) but have not yet, along with riding on a motorcycle :-)

Have a wonderful week!

Annette@FitnessPerks September 24, 2012 at 12:41 pm

WOW! Nice work, lady! Love your arms too (if that’s not creepy?!) ;)

I swam a lot (that was a big one on my list) & did tons of training for the half IM<–and that was what I knew I needed to do/wanted to do. So proud of that. I wish I had gone to more Farmer's markets though (went to 3) –next year for sure!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning September 25, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Um, holy crap- you did awesome! I accomplished about 66.67% of things on my list. One thing I didn’t do that is ridiculous is that I didn’t swim ONCE. What the heck? I’m heading to Boston in 3 weeks and if there’s a pool in my hotel, I’m going to make myself swim in it (I know it’s not the same…).
The best thing I did? Visit Colorado in July and hike a 14er on the best day in history to have a wedding anniversary- July 17th of course.