how to trap fruit flies.

by Janetha on September 20, 2012

in guest posts,how to

hey, guys! i have a very special guest today: momma b!

NewImage

i recently saw a contraption on her countertop and wondered what it was. turns out, she had built a trap for catching all those pesky fruit flies in her kitchen! i asked her to type up a tutorial to share with the class. here she is!

******

Every summer we are invested with those pesky little fruit flies (sometimes known as gnats).  I learned about a nifty trap from my daughter Suni and decided I’d better get one built before the flies took over my kitchen!!

Supplies needed:

NewImage

• Quart jar (in this photo I have used a pint) that would work if you don’t have the larger jar
  • Piece of paper
  • Tape
  • Sugar
  • Vinegar
  • Water
  • Piece or pieces of fruit

Directions:

Roll the paper to make a cone with a small point at the bottom – tape it to stay.

NewImage

Pour the following into the jar:

• Sugar
  • Vinegar
  • Water
NewImageNewImage

Next, place the fruit in.

NewImageNewImage

Then place the cone in the jar – the tip shouldn’t hit the liquid or fruit.

NewImage

Place it in your kitchen or where ever those little pests are flying.

NewImage

The theory is that they will smell the wonderful concoction, fly into the jar through the small hole, then they are too stupid to find their way out!

When it gets too gross you can throw it all out and start a new one or just set it outside on your patio table like I did and procrastinate!!

Happy fruit fly trapping!

Q~

do you have any cool homemade contraptions or remedies to share?

xo. momma b.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 20, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Genius! My mom was just talking about needing something like this!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance September 20, 2012 at 6:26 pm

I love it! Fruit flies drive me crazy–and they always just randomly appear and disappear. This is great. Thanks!

andrea September 20, 2012 at 6:38 pm

This a godsend, my cubicle mates have plants and there are so may annoying fruit fLies everywhere!!

Lauren September 20, 2012 at 6:41 pm

AHHH this is sooooo useful! Fruit Flies are invading my kitchen as we speak. Momma B is so helpful! :) Thanks so much for the tips.

purelylori September 20, 2012 at 7:03 pm

haha love this, need to try it as I hate fruit flies

momma b. September 20, 2012 at 7:19 pm

I’m so glad this is helpful to some of you!! If you don’t want to use the vinegar the sugar water and fruit will work fine – sometimes the vinegar smell may get a little strong!

Enjoy your contractions!!

xoxo

Christie September 20, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Who couldn’t use this at some point? Thanks for sharing- thanks Momma B!

SweatyGirl September 20, 2012 at 8:53 pm

I’ll tell you something even easier! Just straight up apple cider vinegar works just as well (if not better!) No need to waste a beautifully tasty banana! :-)

meg September 20, 2012 at 9:10 pm

I had read somewhere about setting out a small bowl of vinegar and dish soap and it didn’t really work. This seems much better. Thanks for sharing with the class!

hellonheelshon September 20, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Nifty idea Momma B. Thanks for sharing!

Dana @Muscles, Miles, and Meals September 21, 2012 at 6:23 am

Perfect timing! I read this after squishing at least 20 of them and getting frustrated that they just keep appearing! My trap is already working:)

Chris September 21, 2012 at 8:19 am

I do something very similar (blend of vinegar/sugar/banana) but I also add some liquid dish soap (sticks to their wings so they can’t fly). Once the concoction is in the jar, cover it tightly with some plastic wrap and swirl it around until the soap bubbles. Then, using a small toothpick, poke small holes in the plastic wrap. The flies will find their way in but cannot find their way out. =)

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 21, 2012 at 8:56 am

That’s pretty brilliant! I still have a couple of the little buggers flying around my kitchen, so I should really make one of these.

LG September 21, 2012 at 9:10 am

Ahhhh! You have just saved my life!!! (Just kidding, but I’m totally going to try this. Thanks for the tip!)

Heather @ Better With Veggies September 21, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I haven’t had those annoying pests this year, but I usually do. What a creative homemade solution – I’ll save this one for later! :)

Annette@FitnessPerks September 21, 2012 at 1:33 pm

This is brilliant for sure! Thank U momma B!

erin September 21, 2012 at 2:01 pm

you can also just fill a small jar or container with some apple cider or red wine vinegar. cover the top tightly with saran wrap and poke some holes in the top :)

Jennifer T. September 21, 2012 at 2:25 pm

So happy you just posted this. I work for the nutrition department at a school district and our central kitchen has been having a major fruit fly problem. I am going to pass this information along! Seriously could not be any better timing. Thanks Momma B!

Michelle September 22, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I use a glass with a table spoon of sugar and vinegar, a squirt of dish soap and then fill the glass up to the brim with water. They come in for a snack/ drink and the soap makes it so they can’t fly any more and drown. I like these simple tricks that don’t involve chemicals.

lynn @ the actor's diet October 2, 2012 at 12:29 am

i love a momma b guest post! here’s how i make my fruit fly trap – i poke holes in the top of the jar;