family vacation iv.

by Janetha on September 18, 2012

in eating out,family time,travel

funny how i can recap a 2 1/2 day vacation over so many posts. i’m long winded, what can i say? oh, i’ll answer that: a lot. this is the last one, though.

after a great celebration for momma b’s 60th birthday on thursday, we spent friday with more family fun. before things got started, marshall and i ate breakfast at medici, our resort’s cafe. we sat outside with the pups. i love how dog-friendly they were! they even brought out bowls of water for penny and randy.

imageimage

marshall and i both ordered omelets, mine had mushrooms, scallions, and cheese. the omelets came with delicious diced red potatoes with onions. we also shared some steel cut oatmeal and enjoyed piping hot coffee.

imageimage

after breakfast, i headed to the pool to hang out with the family. i was in need of some fun in the sun, i didn’t get to the pool enough this summer!

imageimageimageimage

i didn’t work out, but i think overhead pressing my nieces should count for something, yeah?

imageimage

check out sofi’s awesome pose. i love that lady.

we cleaned up and headed to the hoover dam for an educational experience (and a whole lot of dam/damn jokes!)

imageimage

after the damn dam, we ate dinner at sonrisa grill, which is the mexican restaurant located in the village surrounding lake las vegas. i filled up on chips & salsa.

i split the chicken fajitas with my mom.

we went back to marisa’s condo and made homemade ice cream! lazy eye alert. that guy comes out to play sometimes.

we made two batches of ice cream: vanilla and coconut.

this was my first time making coconut.. i just adapted the ben & jerry’s vanilla one i know by heart. here is the coconut ice cream recipe:

• 4 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 quart (4 cups) heavy cream
  • 1 pint (2 cups) 2% milk
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can full fat coconut milk

combine all ingredients and pour into ice cream maker and freeze according to maker’s directions. recipe made just under two quarts.

we spent the rest of the evening playing games around the table. it was a lot of fun! oh, how i wish my sister & her family lived in utah. it’s so nice to soak up that quality time with them when i can.

saturday morning we headed back over to marisa’s condo for some fluffy bisquick pancakes topped the way i always did growing up: with creamy peanut butter and homemade raspberry jam! the best.

imageimage

we made our way back over to the pool for a couple hours before we had to check out. most of us didn’t want to swim since we’d have to get ready again and wouldn’t exactly have access to a shower, so some of us kept it dry and watched the others play in the pool.

imageimageimageimage

i brought my jump rope along for the ride.

i love how lucy’s tongue is in her cheek as she concentrates on jumping rope.

imageimage

we headed back to marisa’s condo one last time to eat whatever odds & ends we could find for lunch before checking out of the resort. and by odds & ends.. i mean odds & ends. lunch consisted of cheese, avocado slices, hot sauce, coffee ice cream, coconut ice cream, PB & jam on bread, and leftover red waldorf cake.

imageimageimage

yum.. cake.

imageimage

wait, what was that, eric? yum.. CAKE!

we spent the final minutes together doing what any family would do.. practicing handstands and handstand push ups.

imageimage
imageimage

a perfect end to a perfect family vacation. it was SO much fun! we hadn’t done this in over five years, and i hope it’s not another five years before our next family vacation… that’s just too long of a wait.

whelp, that concludes my trip recapping! not to worry, i am going on another trip tomorrow. yep, heading to chicago for my friend’s wedding. i will line up some posts up for while i am away so you won’t miss me too terribly much. i know, i know.. you were so worried.

have a great night!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance September 18, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Yay for Chicago!!!! Let me know if you need any suggestions for places to go and/or see! :) I’ll be at the Cub’s game on Saturday.

Janetha September 18, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Darn it, we will be at the one Friday! We are going to try to branch out and try new places from the ones we went to in 2011, but my friend and I really want to have our guys try the stuff we liked–Chicago Diner, Bongo Room, Xoco.. although we may try Frontera instead and we really want to go to Kuma’s Corner. What do you suggest? xo

BroccoliHut September 18, 2012 at 6:50 pm

So much delicious food!! I think my favorites are the little sidecars of toppings for the oatmeal and the Christmas-colored chips ;)
Sounds like it was a fabulous trip, and I hope you enjoy Chicago!

The Healthy Hostess September 18, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Family vacations are the absolute best! We can’t get enough of them. You have got to be the best Aunt ever! Love the family handstands. Those deserve a frame!

Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily September 18, 2012 at 7:25 pm

I swear your mom’s look alike works at my kid’s school! I saw her outside today and had to do a triple take!!!

Heather @ Heather's Dish September 18, 2012 at 8:11 pm

seriously, i want to go on vacation with you…i think this is the millionth one of your vacation posts that i’ve said that on!

momma b. September 18, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I’m glad it took you so many posts to recap – makes it fun to relive over and over again!!

We do have quite a lovely time when we get together – thank goodness for family, fun, photos and memories!!

I love you!!

xoxo

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva September 18, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Yay for handstand push ups…I’m still working on mine :)

Laura @ RunningJunkie123 September 19, 2012 at 5:40 am

That looked like a seriously awesome lunch! It looks like you all had a great time!

Corrie Anne September 19, 2012 at 7:55 am

I love getting my little sibs and nephews to do little workouts with me. They’re so hilarious. I tried to teach them all how to do crown pose, and I was so nervous they were going to do some serious face planting. have fun in Chicago!! that’s such a fun place to visit. if it’s not too cold!!!

purelytwins September 19, 2012 at 8:48 am

love it when our niece tries to workout with us, so cute!
and love your bathing suit, so cute!
seriously loving your family vacation pics!!

glidingcalm September 19, 2012 at 11:08 am

looks so fun! I love all of the ice cream action and the handstanding :)

Annette@FitnessPerks September 19, 2012 at 11:25 am

I love that you all MADE ice cream. Freaking sweet.

And you are beautiful and strong. GO Janetha!!!!

Megan (Braise The Roof) September 19, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Hooray, you’re coming to Chicago!! I’ll reiterate that I’m happy to provide suggestions for restaurants and whatnot…if you like tapas, Cafe Ba Ba Reeba is awesome, Tango Sur is a really good Argentinian steakhouse, Kamehachi has good sushi. I have lots of ideas. :)

Janetha September 19, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Thank you thank you! I tried Tango Sur last time and looved it.. I will see if I can finagle some of these others! xo

betty September 20, 2012 at 11:38 am

holy abs! you look SO good! y’all looked like you had so much fun and momma b doesnt look a day over 25!