family vacation iii.

by Janetha on September 17, 2012

in family time,travel

you may notice that i am recapping my family vacation with quite a bit of detail. that’s mainly because my whole family is super forgetful and if i recap the trip in depth, we can all look back and remember the fun times better than if we were relying on our own brains. they’re a bit dysfunctional, y’know?

i am also trying to break the posts up into smaller pieces rather than loooong novels, so i’ll probably be posting a bit more frequently in order to get the whole trip recapped before the end of the year. ha.

don’t worry, you’re not missing out on hearing about anything in my normal life. i did these two workouts over the weekend and i did this one today. (and holy hell, my hamstrings are screaming!) i have been eating some of the goodies i bought at trader joe’s in vegas as well as some healthy banana muffins (recipe coming later in the week!)—so nothing too exciting to report. may as well stick to the trip recaps!

anyway, i left off on thursday afternoon. after a long day of boating and fun in the sun, we headed back to lake las vegas resort for dinner. it had been a long day, so we all agreed that the best option was to get six big pizzas for dinner rather than bother with dining out or cooking something ourselves.

oh, look, my dad!

did you guys notice he wasn’t in the boating pics? yeah, he hates boating.. so he played golf while we were all on the lake. he joined us afterward for dinner as we continued momma b’s birthday celebration.

we picked up six pizzas from luna rossa ristorante, which is an italian restaurant in the cute village that surrounds lake las vegas. since we were guests at the nearby resort, the man at the restaurant gave us a 30% discount on our pizzas! i also think it’s because he thought momma b was cute ;) the authentic italian-style pizza was incredible! i highly recommend this restaurant—you have to try the quattro formaggi and the vegetarian pizzas if you go.

ben recommends the pepperoni pizza.

my brother, doug, made a salad to go along with the pizzas. he was crying as he sliced & diced the onions.

after dinner, it was time for gifts! we all were in stitches when momma b was presented with a walker full of gifts from my sister, marisa, and her family.

oh, and those weren’t just any gifts. there were really awesome things like denture cream, prune juice, and adult diapers. hey, she did turn sixty!

imageimage

my mom then opened all her “real” gifts from all of us… and then opened the best one very last.

she started crying before she even knew what it was!

my sister, marisa, had been working for months to compile a book of sixty post cards for my mom. the cards were written by people from all walks of my mom’s life. each card was unique—hand picked by the sender—and each one had a message to my mom, whether it be a birthday note, a memory of my mom, or a way she had impacted his or her life.

it’s safe to say the book was a hit! seriously, this was the most priceless gift. big props to marisa for putting it together and pulling it off. i know it was a TON of work for her!

after the gifts and tears, it was time for cake! nothing but the best—red waldorf cake!

imageimageimage

this cake is so dang good. you’ve got to make it.

we spent the rest of the evening just hanging out.

imageimage

the good news? the walker doubles as a triceps dips station!
imageimage

and a cheerleading podium!

we never did figure out how to utilize the XXL adult diaper, though…

i love my family. this was a great birthday celebration for a great lady. i love you, mom, you’re my hero!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 17, 2012 at 7:49 pm

What a sweet gift!! And I love the gag gift too – so funny!

Happy Birthday Momma B!

momma b. September 17, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Thanks Katie – it was a perfect birthday!!

Coco September 17, 2012 at 7:50 pm

What a fun birthday! I love the postcard idea–might have to borrow that for my parents’ 60th birthdays soon!

Emily September 17, 2012 at 7:54 pm

You and your mom’s relationship just… like… re-affirms my faith in people and the good in the world. It is heartwarming, and even as just a blog reader it is clear how awesome you both are. I’m so glad you guys have such a close family. It is inspiring.

Andrea September 17, 2012 at 7:54 pm

holy crap your mom rocks! I am striving to be that in shape at the ripe old age of 31 (almost 32). She is 60?!?!? I will always look up to her, and strive to be like her.

Maren September 17, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Man, you had me bawling like a baby! That is seriously one of the coolest presents EVER. So creative! Happy Birthday momma b!

Erica September 17, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Your parents always look so happy- i love!! Great gifts-the postcard thing is a great idea.

momma b. September 17, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Well – you’ve done it again…..good thing I’m getting a new computer because I’m bawling like a baby AGAIN reading and remembering that totally awesome day with the most important people in my life!!

It goes without saying that you have a great talent in recapping any and all events – thank you for making my day so very special the first time around and again on this incredible blog!

I love you like no other :)

xoxo

Lauren September 17, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Your mom is my hero too!!! :) xoxo

meg September 17, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Aw, seeing your mom cry made me tear up! What a fun, fun birthday for her! I love the idea of the postcard scrapbook.

My mom is turning 60 in October!

Jess @ Truly.Into.Fitness September 17, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Omg I LOVE THIS!! First – your mom is amazing – gorgeous and STRONG!! What an inspirational family!!!

And that book with postcards/notes/cards – what a beautiful and touching gift!! I was tearing up and I’m not even reading any notes!!! <3

@pluvk September 17, 2012 at 8:40 pm

That is such a beautiful gift – the 60 postcards – and so special. I can see why she cried! I would’ve, too. :-) My mother will be turning 60 in a few more years, and I think that would be such a wonderful present! I’m gonna have to remember this in the future.

Kim@hungryhealthygirl September 17, 2012 at 8:45 pm

What a fun party! I love the unique and creative postcard idea. What a special gift!!

Corrie Anne September 17, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Best gift ever… I’m sure!!! I love your mom’s muscles! :)

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 17, 2012 at 8:59 pm

That’s an incredible gift! So thoughtful! (and I’m only half talking about the walker :-p)

Amanda September 17, 2012 at 9:32 pm

I cried while looking at pictures of your mom crying. Your family is so darn sweet!

Carly September 17, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Your family seems like just such a fun group! Happy Birthday to your Momma :)

My Mom turned 50 in April, and I got 50 people from her life to mail me 50 hand written letters including memories and what not, and gave them to my Mom on her birthday. It was a ton of work, but she loved it! So cool your sister did something similar! Such great presents.

jaglangham September 17, 2012 at 9:50 pm

I am laughing SOOOOOO hard over the diaper!!!! I need to remember this for my mom’s 60th!! :)

Laura September 17, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Happy Birthday Momma B, you are so inspiring. What amazing shoulders :D

Candice September 17, 2012 at 10:23 pm

your mom is an amazing lady! Happy Birthday to her!!
Thanks for the run today!

Lili September 18, 2012 at 12:35 am

Ur mom is amazing , I’m sure u will turn out just like her.. Its so amazing to see ur family like that .. Wished I had at least a momma like urs..

katie September 18, 2012 at 6:09 am

Oh my gosh, so SWEET! I almost just started crying seeing the pics of your mom crying with happiness! How awesome! Those kinds of gifts are the BEST gifts of all!

I am so happy your mom had a wonderful birthday surrounded by her loved ones, that is all you need!

Love you!

Calee September 18, 2012 at 6:38 am

I aspire to be as awesome as momma b when I’m 60. Jeez, she’s ripped!

side note, I’m pretending you’re not wearing that packers hat … ;)

Tamara September 18, 2012 at 8:10 am

Love this! The gag gifts and the real ones alike. I need one of those tricep dip stations. ;)

Happy birthday, Momma B!

jessiker September 18, 2012 at 9:50 am

Awww, I’m so glad she liked it. She deserves sweet kids like you guys. She did an amazing job. You’re pretty much my favorite person.

julie September 18, 2012 at 10:30 am

dude mama b looks FANTASTIC. so do you obvi – but i still had to tell you that mama b looks legit.

Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife September 18, 2012 at 11:30 am

that postcard gift is sooo adorable! so thoughtful!

Carly @ Snack Therapy September 18, 2012 at 11:35 am

What a hot mama! It sounds like you guys gave her a really memorable 60th birthday.

Monica J September 18, 2012 at 11:37 am

momma B is an inspiration! thank you for sharing. :)

Annette@FitnessPerks September 18, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Awwww happy birthday to Momma B! SHe is SO inspiring!!! LOVE this. And love the time you all spent–how awesome are you all?! :)

Roz@weightingfor50 September 18, 2012 at 1:03 pm

I would have bawled at the 60 postcards too!!!! BIG happy birthday to your buff Momma!!!

Amy September 18, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Dang! Welcome to the gun show….so jealous…

Lisa September 18, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Your relationship with your mama reminds me of mine and my mom’s. She’s my best friend.
Sounds like a truly awesome birthday for mama b! That gift sounds truly wonderful! That is so sweet!
Happy belated to your mom, she looking rocking!

janae@hungryrunnergirl September 18, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Tricep dips.. that is AWESOME! Your mom looks SO SO young.
When is 6 big pizzas not a good idea:) Have an amazing day Janetha!

Simone September 18, 2012 at 2:01 pm

your moms jacked! I love it!

SuzanneU September 18, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Ok seriously…Momma B, what is your workout regime? No joke. Please share. Do you work out 2 hours a day? Do you eat clean? Or are you just a moderation Momma?

I am an only child and am jealous of all the familial love.

Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt September 18, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Loved the vacation posts! Happy B-day Mamma B, your ripped and inspire me to stay fit.

LG September 19, 2012 at 9:29 am

Oh wow – that postcard gift is so thoughtful!!! Love reading about your family’s time together. :0)

Liza Campbell October 11, 2016 at 10:39 am

Could you share your moms workout routine