friday fun: nothing specific.

by Janetha on August 24, 2012

in random rambles

hey! what’s up? i will tell you what’s up.. i am up!

let me elaborate.

this morning i had an internal debate. this happens most mornings, in fact. my four alarms went off between 5:37 AM and 6:08 AM and i hit snooze each and every time one of them blared in my ear. (sorry about all those alarms, husband.)

6:15 rolls around and i rolled over. i said, out loud, “i am just going to skip the morning workout an make it up later…”

i looked at my phone again… 6:18. i grumbled. i got up, got dressed, brushed my teeth.

i hit the road and i made it to GPP by 6:32—only a couple minutes late for the class. they still let me in. phew.

by 6:55 i was back on the road, driving home. workout done. i was SO GLAD i got up, got to the gym, and got it over with.

yay.

yesterday i saw that GPP had changed their marquee message. it had been the same for awhile so i was happy to see a change. but i was even happier to see the new message:

RISE ABOVE.

wow, how cool is it that two little words can have so much meaning? there are so many aspects in my life right now that these two words of advice can be used in. i have had various things weighing me down—at home, at work, online, etc—and “rise above” is exactly what i need to do with all these things.

i am going to use “rise above” as my mantra these next few weeks. when something is getting me down, instead of getting frustrated and overwhelmed, i will tell myself to rise above. get up, get over it, move on with things.

i laughed as i drove away from GPP today looking at the “rise above”—because today it was more than a metaphor. today i literally was rising above AKA i got my ass out of bed and made it to my workout.

annnyway, what else?

OH! got an email the other day that had a bunch of cool house ideas in it. thought it would be a fun friday share. but really, i had to post these things sooner rather than later so i could delete the email from my inbox. i am a weirdo like that…

corner wall art
clip_image001

sunken bed
clip_image001[4]

stairs storage
clip_image001[6]

owl mural

and probably my favorite… suspended bed room in bedroom.
clip_image001[8]

so dope!

guess what? i’ve been reading things online lately. who am i kidding, i read things online every day. but i have been reading more things online and less blog posts from my google reader. here a few links from around the interwebs that i liked and you may enjoy:

and if those rambles don’t interest you and you just want to eat, here are a few must-make recipes that have caught my eye:

so, i wanted to take a second to mention a relay race coming up: red rock relay zion.

one of my ladyfriends at GPP is the co-chairman of this race and it deserves a shout out! the race is september 7-8.. just a couple weeks away! i know it’s soon, but if you have the desire to run 187 miles with 11 of your closest friends, it is not too late to sign up. plus, running in the surroundings of zion does seem pretty flipping amazing. it is beautiful!

you may have seen candice post about it as well. she is running the relay, she’s hardcore. i would do it, but i have a wedding to go to. okay, that is a lie. sorta. yes, i do have a wedding to go to.. but even if i didn’t, i don’t think i would do this relay. you know how i feel about running longer distances. however, there is another red rock relay next may in moab and i just might hop on board that relay train. it’s shorter—around 70 miles. yep, scary stuff… but it could be cool.

let’s see.. what else? OH, hey! fellow foodbuzz friends. who is going to the foodbuzz festival in october? i am debating.. so let a girl know!

one more thing.. you still have time to enter fitmixer’s 2-lb product giveaway for this month. go here!

okay.. i will stop now.

that’s that.

WOW. a very random post from a very random blogger. it’s what i do best. have a great weekend, friends!

meggi August 24, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Those frames are genius!! LOVE THEM! I don’t think I could handle the sunken bed… I would be too concerned about spiders. In fact, I killed a GIANT spider in our bedroom about a week ago… my husband and I have been sleeping in the living room ever since. Ha! I can’t deal with spiders. :)

Carbzilla August 24, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Hey sweets – we’re heading to Hood River tomorrow for the afternoon, and I’m totally thinking about you. Will reread that post of yours in the car on they way down. Have a killer weekend!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 24, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I want that sunken bed! SO COOL!

jenn k August 24, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Lurker here but thought you might enjoy this.
Dirty Projectors – Rise Above

Giselle@ahealthyhappyhome August 24, 2012 at 4:45 pm

I so wish I was a foodbuzz publisher! I’m registered but haven’t been published, bummer! I would love to go to the Foodbuzz festival as it’s so close to me :-(

kim@hungryhealthygirl August 24, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Sometimes it’s really hard to “rise above” but when I do I always feel better. When I don’t feel like going to the gym, I just tell myself that I will feel much better that I did it. I love the sunken bed!

Erin August 24, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I am in LOVE with the sunken bed. However, I feel like it would probably result in lots of bruised shins at best, broken bones at worst, as I sleepily tried to perform the “stick one leg out to cool down” maneuver. Still way cool!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance August 24, 2012 at 5:13 pm

“Rise Above” is really poignant. I like it.

And thanks for making my day yesterday. I came home exhausted from my first full day back to work teaching 5 math classes and meeting 120 new students. The last thing I wanted to do was go through the mail (i.e. bills), but to my surprise I had a really fun thank-you note!!! So adorable and SO creative. Thank you–the timing was impeccable!!! :)

Momma b August 24, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I love your rambling posts! And I really like rise above…..it is such a great way to live!
I figure if we had 70 people on our relay team we’d only have to run a mile each…..my kind of race

Momma b August 24, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Harrumph…didn’t take my smiley face or my I love you xoxo!

Becky @ TheBexFactor.com August 24, 2012 at 5:18 pm

I hiked Angel’s Landing in Zion before, it was a day trip while I was in Vegas. So beautiful there. I would love to visit again!

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama August 24, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I like the owl mural, but what I’m really loving is that bathtub it is the backdrop for. Very cool

Alex @ therunwithin August 24, 2012 at 6:25 pm

what a great mantra! good for your for getting out of bed, way better to get it done with early.

Jillian August 24, 2012 at 9:19 pm

I’ll be at Foodbuzz. I went last year and it was a great time!

Sarah August 24, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Rise above indeed. Email me if you need some lovin’. I gots lots to spare. <3

Jessica August 25, 2012 at 10:44 am

I love that suspended room but I feel like you would wake up every single night with that “omg I’m falling” feeling, right?!

Gillian August 25, 2012 at 11:20 am

I love the sunken bed but wouldn’t it be a nightmare to change the mattress sheet and cover? :)

Lisa August 25, 2012 at 1:46 pm

What the heck…those house ideas are awesome! Too bad I’d never actually be able to do those things!
I love the simple message of rise above! We can apply it to so many things going on in our lives! Perfect!
I would love to go to foodbuzz, especially since its in San Fran!! I don’t know if I have the mula right now though, sadly probably not. I’ve heard great things about it though!

Brittany August 25, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Love the rise above message and your ramblings.

Food Buzz is a no go for me this year. :/

kristen @ livinlifeinlouie August 25, 2012 at 6:05 pm

love random blogs! and I can’t wait to make the cinnamon raisin bread- YUM!

Kris August 25, 2012 at 10:33 pm

OOOH I want that sunken bed… it would be GREAT for certain Long Dogs in this house… ;)

I like the stair storage too – ours is already taken up by our coat closet or I would totally do that.

Susan August 26, 2012 at 7:10 am

Hi! Related to that internet infographic (which was super neat): http://archive.org/web/web.php That site has archived screen shots of almost every website since the internet “began.” It’s really cool to go back and see what the New York Times website looked like in 1998, or to see snapshots of how your blog has looked over the years. Love you!

elise August 26, 2012 at 8:38 pm

1. i love random posts
2. those stair drawers! awesome!! and the bed!! and the room!!! ok, i love it all :)
3. the food words article cracked me up. im guilty of sammie from time to time, but otherwise i totally agree…those words make my cringe or roll my eyes.
4. i think im gonna most likely pass on the FB conference this year…but im not ruling it out yet. i havent bought a ticket though.

Janetha August 26, 2012 at 8:45 pm

SQUEAL to your big news!!

Jessica August 27, 2012 at 8:59 am

I’m going to Foodbuzz!! Katie from Healthy Diva and Kristin from Food Fash are going too!

Janetha August 27, 2012 at 9:22 am

Get outta town… I think I may have to go!

Betsy @ A Dancer In The Kitchen August 28, 2012 at 9:40 pm

I’m still trying to decide about Foodbuzz! I went last year and loved it but I should save money……

Thought about you today because since I work at Sur La Table, we have some fun new OWL stuff in for Fall/Halloween!

Janetha August 29, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I must go check it out!

glidingcalm August 29, 2012 at 2:35 pm

love that stair storage! and the suspended bed! DOPE

Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut August 30, 2012 at 8:54 am

I am the same way with my alarms lately! Lots of snoozing although today on my “day off” (in quotes bc I still have two online classes to work on plus other homework, plus babysitting later haha) I intentionally didn’t set a single one and I got up after 8 hours of sleep. <–that was cool

I love those photos! Suspended bedroom? Stair drawers? Who thinks of these things??

Have you seen the picture of the apartment building with a pool coming off of each deck that is see-through and super scary looking?

Janetha August 30, 2012 at 3:32 pm

NO! but i want to see that!