ask me anything answers (part 2).

by Janetha on August 22, 2012

in questions answered

time to answer some more of your questions!

Q: Why are you so awesome? <3

A: haha.. i really am not that awesome. well, i don’t think i am. i think i am pretty OK most of the time, and i try my best to be rad.. but thank you for thinking i am awesome. i am flattered.

Q: Hey Janetha! How do you figure out the nutritional information for the meals you do? I thought about doing excel and using SUMs, but figured I would ask if you knew a shortcut! ;) Thanks

A: i use thedailyplate.com and i posted about it here.

Q: Can you honestly say that all these fitness experts are not hooked on appetite suppressants? It is impossible to eat how they eat without suppressing their appetites!

A: i am not sure which fitness experts you are referring to, but i know a lot of fitness models endorse fat burners and appetite suppressants. i have personally taken a few different brands of fat burners in the past, but i have found that they are overpriced and gimmicky.

(source: supplementsandhealth.net)

back in 2008 i took EAS thermodynamx, which has since been discontinued. i had a short run with hydroxycut back in the day because i saw jamie eason endorsing it. i have also taken oxyelite pro in the past.

currently, i don’t take any fat burners or appetite suppressants. my doctor gave me a scare when he told me i have a fatty liver that could be due to the use of fat burners. i think that i once got wrapped up in the whole “magic pill” idea, but then realized it just takes clean eating and diligent exercise to stay in shape. i can’t speak for the fitness experts, though. to be honest, fitness is their JOB, so i think they have a lot more time to train & meal plan than the average joe does.

Q: What do you think is the best way to lose weight? I know you did BFL…do you still think that is the best? Eat Clean Diet? Intuitive Eating? Really interested in your thoughts on this.

A: i think this ties in well with the first question. i honestly think the best way to lose weight is through proper nutrition. i believe that weight loss is 80% what you eat and 20% exercise. i first lost weight doing body for life, which was AWESOME. through body for life, i learned about nutritious food and the importance of eating clean. i was totally clueless before.

(source: ultisky.com)

body for life worked wonders for me and ignited a spark for eating healthfully. however, there is not one best way. i know many who have lost through weight watchers, jamie eason’s livefit trainer, and jackie warner’s books. i think that the key is to find something that YOU CAN DO. if your weight loss plan doesn’t seem like a huge chore, it is easier to stick to. i found that body for life eating was very simple, straight forward, and easy to adhere to. i loved the free day. i loved the variety. i am very good at sticking to something if it is laid out—it worked for me. however, i know others who hate body for life because once they hit their first free day, all bets are off! they are never able to hop back onto the clean eating wagon the next day. it’s all about what you can do and what you can stick to. i just got lucky and found a program that worked well for me from the get go. is that how you spell “get go”? or is it one word? it’s a weird phrase…

anyway, at the end of the day, i think that the best way to lose weight is going to be one that a) you can stick to and b) can be ongoing! for life! no fad diets, no crash diets, nothing that you can’t do long-term.

Q: What advice would you give someone who wants to become a runner, but has never really ran long distances?

A: ew. gross. i have never had the desire to run long distances. my longest distance has been a 10k. i will be doing tough mudder in the fall, but the running will be broken up by obstacles so it won’t be 10 straight miles of running, thank goodness. so, as far as my answer goes on this one, i have no great advice. but i CAN direct you to a few awesome running blogs—click the links and ask them this question!

Q: What is your favorite band to see live?

A: well i really LOVE to see minus the bear, they are probably my favorite band ever.. but i can’t just pick one to see live! i have been to over 100 concerts in my life. i guess if i had to name some of the best, they’d include: the sounds, cults, face to face, anti-flag, and the get up kids.

at the sounds in 2006

i am REAL excited because i finally get to see metric in concert this october! cannot wait!

Q: What would be your dream job?

A: Traveling food critic. No battle. End of story. Someone pay for me to travel the world, eat delicious food, and talk about it. DREAM JOB.

that’s all for now! if i didn’t get to your question, don’t worry.. i will. i am answering the questions in the order they are submitted. you can submit a question using the box in my sidebar to the right.

Q for you~ what is YOUR dream job?

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning August 22, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Yay- love these! My dream job? Well, hopefully I’m going to have it soon- it’s definitely up to me just how FAR I go. Helping people get healthy and love exercise, plain and simple. To motivate and inspire- I think there’s nothing better.
Well, being a food critic would be awesome too. Heck, I’d even love to work at a brewery and make beer.
You’re VERY correct about the 80/20 diet/exercise ratio. Through my studies for my PFT certification I have discovered just how much fat I don’t burn through the millions of spin classes I teach per week. Kind of disheartening!

Christine @ Oatmeal Bowl August 22, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Lauren – the not burning fat, that has to do with your target heart rate, right? you need to slow that spinnin’ pace down girl. Too fast for your own good. ;)

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning August 22, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Yeah- I’ve had metabolic testing done, and my ultimate “fat burning” HR is around 140. When I teach spin, I’m usually in the 160s or higher- because I’m full-force (and talking or yelling!), which for ME burns about 3 fat calories per minute. I’m definitely planning on dropping a few of the classes soon so I can spend that time working out in a manner that’s best for me- right now it’s supplemental income until I start my new job. I’m exploring NOT making classes so intense, but that’s what I’m known for and what the people want.

Jen August 30, 2012 at 10:42 am

And this is exactly why I need to get my butt in gear with getting my PT certification too, mainly to learn! So would that more or less mean I should keep my running pace low to keep my heart rate in the 140/150’s and not push as hard in spin? It’s so confusing!

Christine @ Oatmeal Bowl August 22, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Love the dream job. I like the show 3 drinks…something like that. would be cool to drink myself around the world and get paid for it. LOL.

And I agree on the 80%food/20%exercise, too. so hard, that 80% food thing. ;)

Erica August 22, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Love these posts. It scares me when fitness trainers/big names endorse crappy products. Dream job? Ideally I’d do two things: 1. still be teaching group fitness and 2. own a restaurant that serves brunch all day long

Danielle @ FoodosaurusRex August 22, 2012 at 1:31 pm

love love love Minus the Bear!!

Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers August 22, 2012 at 1:46 pm

have you seen samantha brown’s show on the travel channel? DREAM JOB!!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 22, 2012 at 1:48 pm

My dream job? Good question! ha! It used to be managing bands and I did that for awhile and it was great. Then my band was stolen and it kind of lost it’s spark.

Now it’s personal training and freelance healthy living writing. I’m working on making this happen. :)

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance August 22, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Ha ha . . . I think we all know my dream job (hello, guest post)! Wouldn’t it be awesome if I could be a full time health coach?!? I think I’d love it. Don’t get me wrong–I enjoy teaching, but I have a passion for health and wellness that might make something like that a DREAM job. :)

The Delicate Place (@misathemeb) August 22, 2012 at 2:17 pm

emily haines is a total girl crush for me! i saw them live with the stills in prob ~2003/04ish? oh wow. so so good! she dances like ian curtis from joy division…so basically awesome.

my dream job would be something that lets me travel all over the world and make a difference in people’s lives.

Lisa August 22, 2012 at 2:24 pm

I love your answers. I actually first lost weight from Body For Life too! That’s how I ended up finding your blog actually! You were one of the first blogs I ever read! And I had the best success with it as well. The free day worked well for me, because I found it was easier to “eat clean” the rest of the week with the “free day” ahead. I definitely agree with your thoughts on appetite supresors and diet products. Its sad these things are available and I admit I’ve used some in the past, but after hearing my sisters friends mom suffered horrible liver damage and almost died from overuse of them really made me look at what I was putting into my body. Clearly not good things!! Oh dream job is tough, I’m still trying to figure it out. Probably something to do with fitness or food though!

Cat @ Breakfast to Bed August 22, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I am an actor, an that IS my dream job.

second dream job would be book reviewer. I am a nerd and have just outed myself.

Carbzilla August 22, 2012 at 2:43 pm

When I was younger the 80 – 20 rule was true, but in my 40’s it’s WAY more about exercise. Clean eating keeps you status quo while many other forces (hormonal, etc) are fighting to creep your weight up. I’m gonna have to ramp it up big time to get the weight off.

Janetha August 22, 2012 at 3:54 pm

really? that’s interesting! my mom did BFL in her late 50s and found the 80/20 to be true for her. i wish it was all about exercise for me, if i could exercise more and eat more cereal and ice cream, i SO WOULD!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 22, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Anti-Flag does do a pretty epic live show. :-)

Not sure what my dream job would entail at this point – I’m going back to school to get my Masters in Criminology, but I spend a lot of my free time occupying myself with blogging and healthy living blogs. So if I could find something to combine the two, that’d be awesome. :-)

Stephanie @ Wellness Reclamation August 22, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Dream job…I’ve been putting a lot of thought into that lately. I used to want to work in the music industry (which I did…and that quickly killed the dream). Teaching was never a dream job. Working at Trader Joe’s would be pretty dreamy if I got paid more (but we have wine tastings bi-weekly which is a good consolation prize). Doing something in the health and fitness industry is my current dream. That’s why I’m becoming a health coach. Also just learned about naturopathic medicine so I’m researching how to become a naturopathic doctor.

Heather (Heather's Dish) August 22, 2012 at 3:34 pm

can i steal your dream job?

or better yet, can we both have that dream job TOGETHER?!

Janetha August 22, 2012 at 3:51 pm

DEAL

SkinnyRunner August 22, 2012 at 4:44 pm

thanks for the shoutout :)
i like your response to long distance runinng – “ew gross”. haha. just goes to show you like eating plans and diets, its whatever works for you personally that you can commit to, whether thats crossfit and paleo eating or Body For Life, etc.

Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily August 22, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Dream job: RN, working in either the emergency room or labor and delivery.

BroccoliHut August 22, 2012 at 5:20 pm

I loved reading your answers–a good mix of questions!
My dream job would probably be a cookbook author and/or working at a food magazine.

Sarah August 22, 2012 at 5:25 pm

I asked the “why are you so awesome?” question.

Okay, not really, but I do wonder that. A lot.

cathy@1970kikiproject August 22, 2012 at 7:11 pm

so cool that you are looking forward to the metric concert, j!
i saw them live a couple years ago…it was lots of fun. had to laugh, though, when emily said “hello, hamilton!!!” and she was in kitchener…these things happen! the music was great!
you’d be a great food critic – you’d tell it like it is in your friendly, informal writing style!

Jenn @ Girl Heroes August 22, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Dream job??? Momma. Next best thing I think would be a screenwriter/director….

Ellen Clifford August 23, 2012 at 12:24 am

Technically I do my dream job right now, acting, but in my dreams I make more money at it than I currently do…
You could get paid to review! I get the occasional job as restaurant reviewer and love it-though like acting I am not exactly gettin g rich at it…

STUFT Mama August 23, 2012 at 1:15 am

Friend- you ARE awesome!! :) Love all your honest answers. Nice dream job by the way. If you ever get it and need a companion for the road let me know. Funny that you said “eww gross” about running. he he. You make me smile!

Calee August 23, 2012 at 6:21 am

haha you know it was me that asked that first one. :P

jealous that you get to see metric! all their shows that are around here are when I’m doing Renegade in Chicago I believe (and obviously the Chicago one isn’t then. boo!)

purelymichelle August 23, 2012 at 8:18 am

food critic that would be an awesome job!
would also love to be the person that goes around and stays at hotels to give reviews of hotel and services :)

Nicole C August 23, 2012 at 8:39 am

I would be a WAY cooler Samatha Brown. Not to be mean and all because she doesn’t get to pick what she covers. I have discovered so many people way more worthy of sharing their travel stories. I think she is too basic and not off the beaten path. I guess I would rather be a traveling entrepreneur.

Mollie @Sprinkles of Life August 23, 2012 at 9:01 am

That’s totally my dream job, too! I love to travel…and eat…perfect pair!

Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt August 23, 2012 at 11:11 am

Being in my 40’s I find clean eating is the best way to maintain my weight, I can stop working out and eat clean and not gain a pound, but if I eat junk and still workout, I gain weight. Dream Job: Being a Chef

Annette@FitnessPerks August 23, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Great answers! There is NO one diet that works for anyone & no magic pill. I too tried taking a fat burner<–totally never worked & messed with my heart rate.

Dream Job: combining my current health coaching & disordered eating jobs with my fitness teaching job. HAH. I also really want to train for Les Mills.

Katie August 23, 2012 at 1:11 pm

No, you totally are awesome. I haven’t heard of ONE of those bands you mentioned, so that makes you awesome. Or me lame…or a mix between the two?

I currently have my dream job. It’s not having a job at all and chasing a toddler all day. Does that count? Otherwise, I’d love to own a coffee shop.

glidingcalm August 23, 2012 at 4:09 pm

the Boy and all of his buddies from college LOVE minus the bear!!! This last weekend at the lake, we didn’t have any internet access, but we DID have my laptop with my OLD A$$ itunes songs downloaded….and we ended up playing minus the bear for the majority of the days!

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables August 23, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Love these questions!! :) My dream job would be to be a taste tester for nut butters…. and granola… together! :)

elise August 24, 2012 at 8:50 am

im playing catch up. i love reading these! your runner answer cracked me up. ew. ive been wanting to do one of the several LA mud runs events for so long…i just need to get a group together and do it. it always looks so fun!
ps did you plant that first question?? kidding :)

christina August 30, 2012 at 10:37 am

ah, we definitely have the same dream job! wouldn’t that be amazing? i agree with you on your philosophy on eating/exercise. i believe what you put in your body means so much more than exercise, for the most part!

Everyday Paleo Recipes January 15, 2014 at 12:10 am

Thanks for one’s marvelous posting! I truly enjoyed reading it, you might be a great author.
I will make certain to bookmark your blog and definitely
will come back someday. I want to encourage you to definitely continue your great writing, have a nice day!