stocked & scheduled.

by Janetha on August 19, 2012

in groceries,meals

hey! how was your weekend? short? mine, too.

it’s been a productive day today! i started things off by mowing the lawn. that has never happened. not at this house, at least. it was actually nice to do some yard work–i think i’ll go buy some gloves so i can pull weeds in the evenings this week. marshall, if you are reading this… don’t hold me to it ;)  i also did some laundry, some dusting, and straightened up the house. sundays are usually my day for cleaning. i should do a little bit each day, but that never happens and i usually end up doing it all on sunday. oh well, it works.

i had the day off from exercise so i lounged around and drank coffee while making a grocery list. when marshall headed to the gym, i headed to the store. i just got home and wanted to share my haul with you.

IMG 4708

i wandered around harmon’s for an hour and managed to get almost everything on my list! i usually do one big grocery trip on sunday (and costco, too, if needed.. didn’t go there today) and then i will stop at the store after the gym during the week if there are any items we really need before the following sunday. like ice cream…

so, like i said, today’s trip was successful! the one thing i didn’t get was almond milk, because they were out of my favorite one (blue diamond unsweetened vanilla) but i managed to buy the rest of the store while i was there.

IMG 4710

let’s take a closer look!

IMG 4726

fruit: bananas, lemons, limes, apples (pink lady and braeburn) and pears. i don’t know why, but whenever i buy pears there is at least one that gets completely ruined in the bag…

IMG 4729

that just meant i had to wash it off and eat it immediately. no biggie.

IMG 4722

vegetables: asparagus (has to be the skinny stalks!), cucumbers, baby carrots, spinach, kale, cilantro, yellow and red onions, fingerling potatoes, and heirloom tomatoes. i debated putting tomatoes with the fruit or the veggies.. but i always have thought of it as a veggie.. so that’s that.

IMG 4724

proteins: low sodium turkey and black forest ham from the deli, chicken breasts, turkey breasts, top sirloin steak, and eggs.

IMG 4715

ummm.. things that are liquid? coconut water and low fat vanilla coffee creamer.

IMG 4714

canned goods: diced green chiles, tomato paste, and spaghettio’s for marsh.

IMG 4716

chobani! a staple in our house. i will have to buy more mid-week.

IMG 4717

odds & ends: blue corn taco shells that i had to buy in the “kit” (comes with seasoning and hot sauce) since they were out of the box of just shells, blueberry bagels, almonds, feta, roasted garlic because it’s convenient and i am lazy, justin’s PB cubs (dark and milk chocolate), and kind bars… i am most excited for this new-to-me flavor:

IMG 4720

you know i love vanilla bean… check out those bean specks! yum.

these groceries are going to play a part in this week’s meal plan. here’s the dinner schedule this week:

breakfasts, lunches, and snacks are usually the same ol’ thing around here.

for breakfast we will both have coffee and fresh fruit and veggie juice. marshall has a bagel & cream cheese and a yogurt and i have a protein shake.

for lunches we will both have sandwiches (usually turkey and cheddar–yum) and marshall also takes a chobani and his annie’s spaghettio’s in one of our contigo hot mugs. or, if there are dinner leftovers, we will take those for lunch–at least one of us will, depending on how much dinner is left over.

snacks will include bars–kind bars and simply bars and pro bars (we love bars!), ready to drink protein shakes (we buy premium protein brand ones from costco), veggies, fruit, hard boiled eggs, babybel cheese, yogurt, and the random snacks we got in our healthy surprise box

i’m off to boil some eggs for our cobb salads! have a great evening!

1. what’s on your dinner menu this week?

2. how many times a week do you go to the grocery store?

Julia August 19, 2012 at 4:39 pm

I typically do one large trip on Sunday (we are a family of 6) and then have to pick up a few things that pop up once or twice during the week.
This week’s menu:
Fish Tacos with Chipotle Coleslaw
Roast Chicken with Verde Potato Salad
Pasta with Arrabiata Sauce and Shrimp
Egg & Tomato Sandwiches with Fries
Zucchini Bread Pancakes (kids love pancakes for dinner)
*I’ll be posting these recipes and results on my blog this week.

Mollie @ Sprinkles of Life August 19, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Weekends ALWAYS go way too fast!
Yay! I’m excited to see they have low fat natural bliss creamer now. I rarely buy creamer but just can’t bring myself to buy the regular kind with hydrogenated oil. Glad to see the low fat!
And that Kind bar….YUM! Love me some vanilla bean!

Amy August 19, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Sounds like a good weekend missy green fingers ;) I had yoga teacher training so I’m exhausted!

I tend to do my shop on a Sunday too but terribly I end up picking up random things through the week as I forgot that ‘one’ thing then leave with other things that I shouldn’t of even been looking at :O

Tomorrows dinner is tofu stir fry of some sorts. Mmm! xo

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance August 19, 2012 at 5:21 pm

I need to get on board the dinner-planning train. I plan breakfast, and even prepped all my lunches for the week. But the only dinners I have thought through are for tonight and tomorrow. Dinner planning is going to be my next goal!

April August 19, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Weekends always zip by especially when Sunday afternoon naps are involved. I napped during the one time a week I usually go to the grocery store and now I don’t want to. Contemplating holding out and seeing how long we can make it without restocking! My bets are on Tuesday.

Do you like the Zio brand coconut juice? I find it to be incredibly salty to the point where after I first tried it I texted a friend who is a coconut juice conessieur and asked her if she thought it tasted like jizz too. :\ Hope that doesn’t ruin it for you!

Janetha August 19, 2012 at 6:37 pm

hahaha.. well i don’t know, i haven’t tried it.. but now i am super excited to!

April August 19, 2012 at 6:42 pm
The Delicate Place August 19, 2012 at 5:25 pm

i do a big trip on fri night or saturday and we usually go to WF for some supplemental produce on thursday of the following week. we only buy enough food for 5-7 days so we don’t waste anything.

oohhh! that kind bar with vanilla sounds so good! vanilla is my absolute favorite flavor :)

dinner menu this week:
m-thai shrimp & granny smith salad
t: green lipped mussels
w: eggs
r: bay scallops with summer squash
f: usually take out somewhere

somehow it ended up being very fishy this week…prob cuz it’s shark week. __^__~~~\o/~~~

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats August 19, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I’ve been on vacation all week (boarding my plane back to Chicago now!) and don’t start class again until next Monday… So no plan this week. Hopefully I’ll take the time to plan for next week, I’m so bad about it!

Angie @ Pint of Goals August 19, 2012 at 5:54 pm

My husband and I did a big haul at the new and very large grocery store that just opened up a mile from our house. Some fun finds: kombucha for $3, organic ground lamb, and Pop Corners.
The only dinner I have planned is chicken and pork Italian sausage sandwiches with peppers and onions.
Have a great Sunday night!

Sara August 19, 2012 at 5:55 pm

The pictures of Penny in a box in your previous post slayed me. So funny and cute.

I used to be a once a week shopper but this summer have slipped into bad (and expensive) habits and hit the store almost daily. I want to get back to once a week and even try planning my meals out like you do. Here’s hoping!

Alex @ therunwithin August 19, 2012 at 7:00 pm

major noms. I love grocery shopping, except when I want to buy everything and know I am on a budget. man what a killer!

Pam August 19, 2012 at 7:32 pm

My store was out of Blue Diamond almond milk, too. I have not had any unsweetened chocolate almond milk for my coffee in 3 weeks. I bought SO Delicious unsweetened coconut milk instead (new to me).

lindsay August 19, 2012 at 7:46 pm

i can’t meal plan, i feel to confined. I know, i am weird. But your thursday sounds good. Can we come? I’ll bring ice cream for dessert.
;-)

Stephanie @ Wellness Reclamation August 19, 2012 at 8:41 pm

You make me want to meal plan. But I don’t. I probably will meal plan when cooking for someone else besides myself.

I also don’t have designated grocery shopping days. I go when I’m low on groceries. I almost exclusively shop at local farmers markets and Trader Joe’s. Did you know Trader Joe’s is coming to SLC later this year? 634 E. 400 South. Don’t know if that’s close to where you are but that’s where the first SLC store will be. YAY!!!

Janetha August 19, 2012 at 9:34 pm

You better believe I know it! I can’t wait!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 19, 2012 at 9:08 pm

I try to only hit the grocery store once a week (Tuesdays – yay 10% student discount!) But it doesn’t always happen that way.

Not sure what’s on the meal plan for the week – I know I want to do a lasagna, but everything else is pretty much wide open. I should probably get on that.

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats August 19, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Sounds like you have an awesome week of meals planned! Some of the things on my meal plan this week are crustless zucchini quiche, perfectly baked bacon, mustard glazed chicken thighs, citrus and sage roasted chicken, grass fed steak, nori salmon hand rolls…I can’t remember what else! :) I usually end up going to the store twice per week! Hope you have a great week!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 19, 2012 at 10:03 pm

I usually go about once a week and if I go more it’s usually because I need more bananas. I eat one every.single.day! (or I’m out of Chobani!! I stocked up today and it looks almost identical to yours!)

Corrie Anne August 20, 2012 at 6:36 am

Oh man. When we first got married last year, I went to the grocery store almost every day! I was new! And that’s definitely how I cooked when I was single. Now I’m trying to save time & money by going about 1.5 times a week. A big trip on the weekend, and the inevitable, I-forgot-something trip!! I’m trying some more PaleOMG recipes this week. Totally not paleo… just like using some of their recipes!

Jessica August 20, 2012 at 7:23 am

I actually live about a stone’s throw away from our grocery store so unfortunately I go there way more than i should in a week. But I’ve been kind of sucky at meal planning lately and doing more “what do we feel like eating tonight?” shopping, which ends in way too much money being spent….

Calee (@chimes) August 20, 2012 at 7:36 am

groceries once a week on Saturdays because the store we like is closed on Sundays. cleaning happens once every … oh … month? it would happen more often if we didn’t have a supremely lazy roommate. it’s just so disheartening to clean and have somebody else leave their junk around and not even care.

Janetha August 20, 2012 at 9:06 am

I don’t blame you. That would be frustrating as hell!

Calee (@chimes) August 20, 2012 at 9:40 am

You want a roommate? :) He’s currently at home begging the ‘rents for money to pay rent. I’m crossing my fingers that this is the month that he moves out. Barney would miss his couch potato buddy tho.

True story: Mark was vacuuming yesterday (since the roommate is gone) OF HIS OWN VOLITION. I was out running, came back to see this, sat down to stretch and upload the workout to daily mile, and said, “Sorry I’m being a lazy ass and not helping you clean,” (he already cleaned the kitchen while I was on my run). And he said, “Babe. You just ran 7 miles. Sit down. Relax.”

My response? “Put a ring on this finger now!” ha.

Janetha August 20, 2012 at 9:52 am

That’s a keeeeeper!

Nicole C August 20, 2012 at 8:53 am

You really remind me that I need to plan these things out! I never do, I wing it everyday. I shop like a european and go to the store almost everyday. It’s on my way home and about 30 seconds from my house. A bit too convenient most times but you wouldn’t believe how often I forget stuff. Happens more now that Ben and his knee can’t move :/ and all I think about is him. Poor guy.

Oh and it’s been cobb salad central at our house too!

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige August 20, 2012 at 9:01 am

Nice haul! I can’t get over that gargantuan carton of eggs…what an awesome idea. I always get one carton, run out midweek, and then have to go back and buy another. For some reason I refuse to get more than one carton, but if my cartons looked like that…

ali August 20, 2012 at 9:10 am

Love, love, love HARMONS! I think I would live there, if I could! :)

I love your menu for the week! I have got to get back to planning our meals better. I have gotten so lax this summer. I have no idea what is planned for this week! Thanks for inspiring me, Janetha! I’m going to try and put together a plan tonight!

Janetha August 20, 2012 at 9:53 am

I know, we should just move in to Harmon’s. We could eat like kings and I think I saw sleeping bags there in the camping dept…

Amanda August 20, 2012 at 10:15 am

Gotta try that new KIND bar. I haven’t seen it yet. I’ve seen a dark chocolate sea salt one on blogs too. I need to find these asap. Kind and Larabars are my staples since they are both gluten-free.

We grocery shop 2-3x a week in small batches. I would like us to start going once a week and meal-planning but I am so indecisive.

kim@hungryhealthygirl August 20, 2012 at 10:17 am

Your meal plan looks good. I’ve been promising the kids taco night, maybe next week. Cobb salad sounds really good too. I’ve never made that at home. I usually do one big grocery outing on the weekend and sometimes have to make a stop during the week. Chobani is a staple in our house too!! Have a good week!

Kammie @ Sensual Appeal August 20, 2012 at 11:22 am

Love checking out other bloggers’ grocery hauls :) Nice stock up trip! Gotta love zico

Annette@FitnessPerks August 20, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Love the haul!

We do the cleaning on Thurs evenings (random evening we both have off), I grocery shop 1x per week (right after an early morning spin class on Tuesdays), and sometimes we’ll grab fresh produce throughout the week, depending on what we need. Costco is about every 6-8 weeks. I only cook 1-2x/week though….just because of family parties, eating lots of paninis, and I always make a lot for leftovers. It works for our busy schedules though–and I don’t loooove cooking. At least right now. Hah

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning August 20, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Cobb salads- yum!! We are having broccoli and chicken stir-fry tonight, burgers at some point during the week, and pizza is always standard on Friday. And Wed is Greg’s night to cook, so I don’t know what he’ll make.
I have started going grocery shopping just ONCE a week. This is a huge adjustment for me- because I would usually go 4-5 times! I’d always go to pick something up that I forgot- and then ending up buying 10 more things that I didn’t really need. Now I’ve started basing meals around what we have in the house, and really trying to stick to a budget. That being said, I went to 3 different grocery stores yesterday to get what I needed for the week, but did pretty well with sticking to a list. Oh, and 50% of my produce comes from the farmers market, which helps a lot!
KIND bars rock!!

The Healthy Hostess August 20, 2012 at 1:42 pm

You are totally ready to roll for the week! I love that! I need to get more organized when it comes to meal planning…soon!

Amy August 20, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Nice haul! I’m planning on using up an abundance of asparagus and zucchini from the farmer’s market this week, so my meals will probably be a mishmash of stuff. ;)

You can always shoot me an email at amy.keefe[at]chobani dot com so we can restock ya! We’ve gotta keep our loyal Chobaniacs well-stocked, ya know.

Amy
@Chobani

Sierra August 20, 2012 at 5:12 pm

This may be controversial, but what do you think of the ‘natural’ bliss coffee creamer? I think the regular chemical-laden one tastes better. There is definitely something different going on with the flavor.

Feedback needed on those vanilla specks…yum

Janetha August 20, 2012 at 7:32 pm

I think the creamer tastes delicious! I rarely spike my coffee with flavored creamer because it’s a little sweet for me (drink it with plain half and half or milk usually) but it’s good every once in awhile when I have a sweet tooth.

ann August 20, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Janetha….I noticed on the TJ’s website that they’re opening one in SLC….”coming soon”…I thought of you..you don’t have a TJ’s do you? I remember the trail mix… LOL

Janetha August 20, 2012 at 9:01 pm

YES it will be here in October! I CANNOT WAIT!

melissa August 21, 2012 at 12:23 pm

ive never tried that type of KIND bar before!

Lisa August 21, 2012 at 1:49 pm

I’m super bad at putting together a grocery list, so I usually end up going 3-4 times a week. Not ideal…at all. I don’t know why I keep doing this to myself.
I love your haul of food, pretty much all the things I love! I’m really bad with meal planning because I always change my mind about what I’m craving, I need to work on that since I’ll be busier soon!