friday fun: penny’s birthday party!

by Janetha on August 17, 2012

in dogs

hey, guys! happy friday!

tomorrow is my little penny bean’s birthday—she will be four! i can’t believe this little runt has grown up so much.

it seems like not that long ago that we were picking her up from the airport and taking her to the dog park for her first time.

IMG_8001IMG_8004IMG_8257

because she doesn’t go to daycare on saturday, they threw her a party today—complete with a personalized cake!

you may remember last month when randy turned seven and penny tried to steal his spotlight… well, not today! today, it was all about penelope jane.

and, yes, i should warn you.. this is another one of those “crazy dog lady” posts. again.

penny, randy, and their friends at daycare all gathered together for the big party this afternoon.

the pups all watched with hungry eyes until it was time to eat cake.

imageimage

they were so stoked to finally dig in!

the birthday girl was totally pampered and hand-fed lots of tasty cake…

…while randy watched with jealous eyes.

yes, it’s true.. big brother randy was a little pouty at penny’s party today.

don’t believe me? check out this email exchange between me and danya, the daycare owner:

danya: “Penny did so well!!  I think ol’ Randy boy was a wee bit jealous of the attention Penny was getting – too funny!!”

janetha: “I saw him pouting in the corner! Hahaha so funny. Thank you so much! You guys are the best.”

danya: “I am not one to put human emotions to dog’s actions but I’m telling you, Randy was front and center and all smiles on his b-day, and he walked away and laid down when we were telling Penny how pretty she was during the party, he truly looked liked a human sibling that pouts when his sister is getting lavished with presents at her party!!”

soooooo funny, right? he really did just go lay down in the corner! such a party pooper!

that didn’t stop the birthday girl from living it up and enjoying herself. i mean, check out that smile!

the pups gobbled up every last bit of birthday cake.

totally cake wasted.

i think she was a tad disappointed when it was all gone!

and randy? he just hogged the water dish and wondered when it would all be over. geez, someone put this guy out of his misery!

that guy. always good for a laugh. but really, he loves his sister. his quality of life doubled when we brought her home so he could have a permanent playmate.

flashback to 2008, the night we introduced penny to her big bro.

a little skeptical at first…

IMG_8029IMG_8028IMG_8020

…but then it was love.

IMG_8052IMG_8058

they really are best buds and are inseparable.

phosto

happy, happy birthday to our penelope jane! we couldn’t imagine our life without this little bean.

Wedding Photography In Utah

enjoy your weekend, everyone!

kristine August 17, 2012 at 4:18 pm

you are awesome. this is so cute. i forwarded this to my husband which means he will be begging for another dog even HARDER! :)

Sarah @ licorice & olives August 17, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Oh my gosh, your dogs are adorable! I love that the daycare throws them parties! So awesome!

Shannon @ Her Dog Blog August 17, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Probably my favorite post yet. Love that smile on Penny’s face as she’s getting her cake…and those photos of the first time Randy saw her are ADORABLE.

Sana August 17, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Penny is SO CUTE!

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige August 17, 2012 at 4:39 pm

oh my god – too freakin’ cute. Love the doggy day care party and poor pouty Randy!!!
And Penny… has my heart! They both seem so mild-mannered, too :)

Roz@weightingfor50 August 17, 2012 at 4:45 pm

OMG Janetha, this is the best post and the best dog party EVER!!!!!! So fun! Both of your furbabies are ADORABLE!!!!!!!! Give them both a scratch behind the ears from me to them! You can scratch Marshall behind the ears if you want too…wouldn’t want him to be left out! so silly…have a great weekend.

Nicole C August 17, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Oh buddy, do I love this! So cool they get to go to daycare AND have a party! I wish my big boy would behave so I could take him..anywhere. All last night he was a maniac because Ben had knee surgery and he did not like the crutches. 4-6 weeks of a moody and confused bear for me.

Oh well, on a way more positive note, Happy Birthday Penny!! Your pups crack me up :)

Angie @ Losing It and Loving It August 17, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Oh my gosh how adorable! Happy Birthday sweet Penny!

This post is awesome and how cool for the doggy daycare to be so personable like that! It’s really nice to see others who spoil and love their pets so much.

Destini August 17, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Love it! Happy Birthday Penny!! I love that the daycare throws them birthday parties!

Randy is hilarious!

Jessica @ Buay Living Healthy August 17, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Penny is adorable! So is Randy! It really make me want to beg for a dog even more! Loved all the pictures of her party! :)

Alex @ therunwithin August 17, 2012 at 5:22 pm

oh my gosh so adorable, that would be my ideal day. Seriously!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 17, 2012 at 5:39 pm

I love how the dogs get cake and parties on their birthdays on doggy day care – that is too cute.

kim@hungryhealthygirl August 17, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Happy b-day to Penny! Poor Randy…..he looks so mistreated. ;)

michelle August 17, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Happy birthday penny!

lindsay August 17, 2012 at 6:43 pm

dogs totally have human emotion! That’s why my dog (sadie) is so sassy! she gets it from her mother, i confess.

Happy birthday penny. Does that mean penny and Clara are the same age?
;-)

Momma b August 17, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Oh man I needed a really good laugh!! Happy happy birthday muss Penny!! I remember the day You got her….she’s a keeper alright!!

Randy is quite hilarious in his own right :)

Love you all!
xo

Amanda August 17, 2012 at 7:56 pm

I am crying laughing at Randy’s expressions. Man, I love that dog. Andy and I are finally starting to talk about getting one! I am excited. Happy birthday to Penny!

Becky @ TheBexFactor.com August 17, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Aw. What a cute puppy Penny was!!

I love that the daycare throws birthday parties. So stinkin cute.

purelylori August 17, 2012 at 8:08 pm

awe…puppy!!!! don’t you just love them :)

cutest post ever!! I wish Jax could meet Penny! And Randy too!!

Mary Legare Whaley August 17, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Penny is so freakin’ cute. My only dog growing up passed away 2 years ago. She was a beagle (Abbie). We brought the little goober into the family when I was in 8th grade (1999). She lived a good life, until she was diagnosed with Lymphoma. Bummer. Beagles just wrip at my heartstrings! I love those eyes and the floppy ears. Your dog parties kill me. Randy’s party left me choking with laughter. I made my mom read that post. She, too, pretty much keeled over in a fit of laughter. Happy birthday to Penny! Give the gal a hug for me. Is it just me, or do hounds (both bassetts and beagles) show more expression than any other dogs? Randy and Penny both say it all with those eyes…=)

Janetha August 17, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Penny is actually not a Beagle! She is half Swiss Mountain Dog and half King Charles Cavalier. But I do love Beagles!

Elizabeth M. August 17, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Awe, happy birthday Penny!! Such a sweet pup. I love the pics from her party, awesome! We should hike out to dog lake with the pups one of these days :)

lorie August 17, 2012 at 9:39 pm

I love your crazy dog post! My little girl and I were just talking yesterday about how stinking funny and cute Randy’s party was. So we smiled again to see the party for Penny and the expressions on Randy…..little stinker. Please keep posting these, your dogs are adorable.

Jenn @ Girl Heroes August 17, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Cutest. Thing. Ever.

Happy Birthday to Penny!

Have I ever told you I love Penny! ;-)

Janetha August 18, 2012 at 1:50 pm

No, I don’t think so?? I am actually surprised you even like dogs at all……..

Tianna August 17, 2012 at 10:34 pm

I love that wedding picture – a perfect example that families can be made of anyone (friends, blood relatives, and doggies!) That pic of them cuddling it too cute!

Janetha August 18, 2012 at 1:49 pm

thanks!

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva August 17, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Oh my gosh…I’m in love with that photo of all 4 of you…adorable :)

@pluvk August 17, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Definitely one of my favorite posts! I love that you had a birthday party for your dogs… and that Randy was jealous. Too cute! My dog’s mood is so up and down; sometimes he’s super happy, other times he’s pouting in the corner. Funny how they have their own little personalities!

Julie August 18, 2012 at 12:03 am

I love the birthday parties. They’re so adorable. I couldn’t help but share with everyone!

Jenny August 18, 2012 at 2:38 am

Hi Janetha, I love this post, I had tears in my eyes when I read it (yes, I know I’m a big softie) but it so reminds me of how I am with my dog. It’s so lovely to see that they are such a big part of your life.

Janetha August 18, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail August 18, 2012 at 10:59 am

I love this post so so so so much! One, your doggie daycare rocks! I’m assuming they have one for the bigger dogs too? Two, your photo summaries totally matched Penny and Randy’s expressions. Oh, I love them both! Happy birthday Penny! You’ve really set the tone now, Cooper expects quite a show in October for his 5th!

Janetha August 18, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Haha YES you must have a party for Coop. All the doggies play together–big and small. Chihuahuas to Mastiffs!

Erica August 18, 2012 at 11:30 am

TOO much! I love it! I want to have a real big party for Frank now. Randy <3 you!

Janetha August 18, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I would like to see frank in a party hat!

Lea @ Coffee and Greens August 18, 2012 at 11:48 am

So many adorable puppy pictures! Randy is too funny, but I’d probably be jealous too!

Tiffany August 18, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Confession: I kind of want to get another dog just so I can have a (insert name) meets her big brother Lincoln moment like Penny and Randy had. I cannot get over the pictures of her not only when she was a puppu but now at her party. OMG can you please do a video of Randy dancing and howling to “Its my party and I’ll (cry) pout if I want to?” Plllllllease?

Janetha August 18, 2012 at 10:25 pm

LOL i will work on it! and ha–Link totally needs a sibling

Marie August 19, 2012 at 8:53 am

Awe, happy belated birthday to Penny! The picture of them laying together towards the end is so adorable; LOVE it! I love that you took pics with them on your wedding day; you guys look gorgeous!

Jessica August 19, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I’m geeking out over the pics of puppy Penny with Randy

Janetha August 19, 2012 at 4:25 pm

you’re telling me. it was hard to narrow it down. i have, like, 800.

Allie@LiveLaughEat August 19, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I DIE!!!! Baby Pennables!

Janetha August 19, 2012 at 4:25 pm

hahaha i KNEW you would dig the pics :)

Calee (@chimes) August 20, 2012 at 7:42 am

this might be my favorite post ever. I wish Mr. Barnabus Stinson would get along with other doggies so we could have a dog party for him. When I adopted him as a 3-year-old, he was already pretty set in his anti-social ways.

ali August 20, 2012 at 9:18 am

OMG, I LOVE IT! The first pic of Penny with the birthday hat is priceless! And poor Randy! :)

Love that your doggy daycar has bday parties! So awesome!

LG August 20, 2012 at 9:36 am

Hilarious. I love this post. :0)

betty August 20, 2012 at 11:37 am

i love your crazy dog lady posts! and i love the pups.. randy dog is too cute! hope you’re well!

meighan August 20, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Im not an animal person, but o my, those pictures of Penny’s bday party are PRESH!

cassy August 20, 2012 at 1:58 pm

who ever runs that dog daycare and gets to do that with the pups everyday– i want that job.

Krissie J @ A Philly Nerd Girl August 21, 2012 at 8:58 am

A happy belated birthday to Penny! I adore your dog lady posts, especially bc they include the cutest puppy pics EVER. :)

jamie August 22, 2012 at 11:12 am

holy balls! that is one hell of a dog cake. dont think any of mine ever have been that fancy. love the pics neather. cant believe how big penny is getting! so cute

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 26, 2012 at 7:29 am

So adorable! And I love that last picture with your dogs from your wedding – so cute!