pipeline with the pups.

by Janetha on August 16, 2012

in family time,moves

hola!

i want to be fluent in spanish. opening my blog posts with “hola” is a good start, right? speaking of.. if any of you utah locals know of a place where i can take spanish lessons, let me know.

well, yesterday was jam-packed! as i mentioned before, i am participating in Rx+ week with the people at my gym. this is a 5 1/2-day challenge designed by the trainers that will jumpstart fitness and give momentum to all health and fitness goals. it consists of two workouts each day this week—one at GPP and one offsite. it’s going really good so far! counting this morning, i’ve completed seven workouts, so i only have four workouts to go before the week is through.

yesterday’s offsite workout was a group hike, but i decided i’d rather do the hike with marshall, penny, and randy. i love getting outdoors with those three. we headed up millcreek canyon to pipeline trail. you are allowed to have your dogs off-leash on all trails in the canyon on odd-numbered days. cool!

pipeline 037

the pups had already been at daycare all day, so they weren’t as rambunctious as usual.. but we managed to make the 2.5-mile hike up to the top in around 40 minutes. i wore my new new balance minimus shoes that are designed for trail running (but i had just been using them at GPP until yesterday.) love them!

pipeline 031
pipeline 003pipeline 008

once we hit the top, penny was quick to pose on the pipe with each of us.

pipeline 038
pipeline 013

randy wanted nothing to do with that dumb pipe! but he did match the rocky surroundings perfectly and i managed to get some stellar shots of him and his long, long tongue.

pipeline 017pipeline 016
pipeline 015

we took a short water + fruit leather break before heading back down the mountain.

pipeline 006pipeline 020pipeline 007

after recharging our batteries a bit, we headed down.

pipeline 023pipeline 029pipeline 026

check out these sweet lens-less glasses marshall found on the trail—so cute, right?

pipeline 025

the way down took soooo much longer than the way up. randy pants was running on empty and those short little legs did him no favors. however, he hiked the whole way down with a smile on his face. that dog LOVES to hike!

pipeline 036

we made it back to the car in just over an hour. it was such a fun family hike!

i spent the rest of the evening at kerryne’s where she, amanda, paija, and i watched the little mermaid. yep. we belted out every song and, as it turns out, i have almost all of the dialogue memorized.. so i recited that, too. i forgot how much i love the little mermaid! my top five favorite disney movies are the little mermaid, alice in wonderland, the lion kind, aladdin, and beauty and the beast. i am sure these picks have everything to do with the fact that i was born in the early 80s.

anyway…

a few things for you to do if you feel so inclined:

have a great day!

Lele August 16, 2012 at 10:20 am

Oh my God I am working from home today and can now hear The Little Mermaid calling me from my basement.
Could I have it playing in one window while I do invoices in the other?

Janetha August 16, 2012 at 11:03 am

I don’t see why not!

corrie anne August 16, 2012 at 10:38 am

I am getting a new chocolate lab/vizsla mix today or tomorrow, and I can’t wait to go on a family hike like that!!! I love your little basset hound! I would love to get one, but I have to limit my menagerie since I became a dog stepmother through marriage. It’s probably best they don’t outnumber us. Haha.

Janetha August 16, 2012 at 11:04 am

YAYYYY for puppies! Randy was mine through marriage, too.. haha. Love him like my own, though!

Amy August 16, 2012 at 10:38 am

Please thank Randy for making me laugh this morning – I needed it!

Carly @ Snack Therapy August 16, 2012 at 10:51 am

I’ve been looking for a good hiking spot near my apartment! Your hike looks fantastic. And The Little Mermaid? I die. I know every single song by heart. And I just might have some of them in iTunes. Maybe.

Janetha August 16, 2012 at 11:04 am

I will pass the message along :) xo

Sana August 16, 2012 at 11:04 am

I totally get how Randy feels! My stubby little legs don’t do me any favors!

Annette@FitnessPerks August 16, 2012 at 11:15 am

What a fun late afternoon hike altogether!

Hercules is my favorite Disney movie, but I do love Little Mermaid…I always loved her cool hair & singing voice (prob b/c I can’t sing) haha

Rosalie August 16, 2012 at 11:16 am

As far as learning Spanish, there’s a site called duolingo which might be of interest. Here’s the Ted talk that explains its premise http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQl6jUjFjp4&feature=youtube_gdata_player. It’s a pretty neat, free project!

Janetha August 16, 2012 at 11:58 am

Cool! Thanks, Rosalie!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning August 16, 2012 at 11:28 am

I LOVE hiking with my pups!! Haha, I bet you didn’t know that.
Ahhh the photos of Randy posing are too darn cute! What a little ham. :)

Amanda August 16, 2012 at 11:44 am

I want to be fluent in Spanish too. I took 3 years of it and feel confident listening to it but speaking it is a whole different thing. I sound like a nerd.

I love Randy’s tongue. Adorable!

purelymichelle August 16, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I used to know Spanish pretty well but it has been years, I do want to learn it again.
and oh how Gary, Jax and I would love to be able to join you and your family on a hike ;)
maybe one day!

purelymichelle August 16, 2012 at 12:02 pm

sorry that I was supposed to be from Lori – I was logged into Michelles account haha sorry
xoxo
Lori

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance August 16, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Wow–the pictures from your hike are beautiful!

I’m also proud to say that I know almost every line and song of the Little Mermaid. It was one of my favorites growing up. :)

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige August 16, 2012 at 12:19 pm

yes. you are right. we NEED to come to Utah. Gorgeous pictures, Janetha! And cause you’re there, obviously.

The Delicate Place (@misathemeb) August 16, 2012 at 12:31 pm

i haven’t been hiking one time this summer because i am afraid of snakes! you are really making me want to go though…definitely when the weather gets cooler!

do you find the 2nd workout of the day to be more challenging? does it vary in intensity compared to the first? i’m lucky if i can do one workout a day lol.

i like those glasses haha, i’m in the warby parker neighborhood about to make a purchase. i love my purple prada ones but they are turning four years old! time to switch it up with some tortoise shell ;)

Janetha August 16, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I think they were little kid 3D glasses lol. The workouts are both intense.. in different ways. You have the option to do the offsite workout in the morning or night and then the gym workout in the morning or night, but they recommend you have 8 hours (at least) between the two.. however, on monday I had to double them up and did one at 5 and another at 7:30 (both PM). the gym workouts are typically 20-30 min (closer to 20 this week) so working out twice isn’t a big deal.. but it is when you are used to showering once and only doing one 20 min workout a day haha. it’s a good challenge, though, and it’s not TOO much for me to handle.

kaitlyn August 16, 2012 at 12:35 pm

So fun! We did the same yesterday with our two dogs, but it was more trail running since the trail wasn’t all uphill. It’s a great way for the whole family to get out and spend time together.

Janetha August 16, 2012 at 1:59 pm

I tried to run a few times, but nobody else was having it haha

RainStorm August 16, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Thank you for that fasting link – very interesting!

Looks like a lovely hike. I feel that I don’t go out hiking as often as I’d like to..,

Liz @ Southern Charm August 16, 2012 at 12:50 pm

so beautiful! what a lovely hike ;)

Sara August 16, 2012 at 12:58 pm

I would’ve thought The Fox and the Hound would’ve been one of your favorite Disney movies. ;) :)

Good luck with the Spanish. I went six years thinking my favorite Mexican restaurant was (in English translation) The House of the Chicken but it really was House of the Rooster: Casa don Gallo…. Not a sharp moment.

Janetha August 16, 2012 at 1:58 pm

hahaha that’s awesome. ohh–and i do love TFATH–forgot about it! it’s so cute!

Calee (@chimes) August 16, 2012 at 3:01 pm

randy is sooo adorable. i love dogs with short legs. love those hipster glasses. ha.

Janetha August 16, 2012 at 3:08 pm

i am pretty sure they were little kids 3d glasses with the lenses popped out. pretty snazzy! short doggies (And short girls!) for the win!

Su August 16, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Me encantaría ayudarte con el español, lastima que vivo en Venezuela. Un abrazo!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 16, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Those are two happy pups! :)

Laura August 16, 2012 at 10:06 pm

There are meetup groups for learning and practicing spanish here in utah! (www.meetup.com) I have never gone to one but it looks like they usually have a great turnout. I learned the most from immersion into the language and I speak it daily now! if you want to practice or learn let me know!

Janine August 17, 2012 at 2:53 am

The hike looks amazing, and what more inspiration do you need to get to the top than those views? I always try and choose a place to hike where I can ‘loose’ myself in stunning scenery, that way I don’t even feel like I’m exercising.

klh August 17, 2012 at 7:49 am

What a fun adventure…the scenery is great! Those glasses are awesome! Randy’s tongue is amzazing…so cute :)

Katie

Jessica August 17, 2012 at 8:01 am

I can’t wait til we get another pup and Mac has a friend to play & hike with. I love how happy dogs look when they’re out roaming the trails :)

Ali @ Around the VeggieTable August 17, 2012 at 9:16 am

I spent my entire childhood pretending that I was Ariel! Also those really are some GREAT tongue pics of Randy :) What a cutie!

Katie August 17, 2012 at 11:31 am

What a fun hike! Wish I was there with you! Let’s go hiking together again…how about the beginning of May? ;-)

Laura M August 17, 2012 at 1:35 pm

RANDY! what a great picture of him hustling down the trail. such a cutie!

Betty August 17, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Looks like fun! I would love to take scout somewhere like that, but I’m pretty sure I wouldnt be able to get him back down, when he doesn’t want to move, he doesnt

Lara August 17, 2012 at 3:09 pm

How fun! I love a good tired pack of pups :)

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats August 17, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Which Lululemon bag is that? :)

Janetha August 18, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Ummm.. I don’t know the name! It is light purple with rose gold accents and it can turn into a fanny pack. I got it right before Costa Rica at the store, it worked perfect! Not too big, not too small. Lots of pockets.

Lea @ Coffee and Greens August 18, 2012 at 11:46 am

I love hiking! We’ve got some pretty good trails in the mountains of NC, but those trails look like babies next to what’s on the west coast! So jealous.

Those Disney movies are my favorites too, I don’t think you can ever be too old to enjoy a disney movie!

Amy August 19, 2012 at 4:21 pm

I really want a dog! Every time I see your pups it just makes me want one more! I can’t have one because of where I live but my mum is looking to get one soon… so excited!!!! We are looking at getting a lhasa apso :)

Janetha August 19, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Wel when you get a puppy, you have to send me pics :)