GPPing.

by Janetha on August 8, 2012

in moves

hello and happy middle of the workweek to you. hope you are plowing through your day job (if you have one) and enjoying your free time. you must have a bit of free time, since you are reading this post, so i am happy to learn you’re not too busy for blog reading.

i mentioned that i didn’t really work out on my vacation. that was a lie. i worked out one and a half times! in twelve days. that should count for something. one of the days i did two rounds of this workout (the workout called for 5 rounds, i did two, that’s why i am counting this as a halfer workout) on my hotel room balcony (minus the run and i used my duffle bag instead of dumbbells or kettlebells.. improvisation, folks!) and another day i did a beach workout with kristen and nick.

photo 086

the beach dogs even got involved!

photo 081

we decided we wanted to work a little bit of our lower body and a little bit of our upper body. we chose jump squats and inch worm pushups for our moves. jump squats are pretty obvious.. you squat, you jump, you repeat. inch worm pushups are a bit tricky. basically you do a strict pushup, then walk your hands in closer to your feet and do an upsidedown V pushup (which targets your shoulders) and that is one rep. you walk it back out to standard pushup position and repeat.

the workout went like this:

costa rica beach workout

• 200m run/sprint
  • 20 jump squats
  • 200 m run/sprint
  • 10 inch worm pushups
  • 200 m run/sprint
  • 18 jump squats
  • 200 m run/sprint
  • 9 inch worm pushups
  • repeat this sequence, decreasing jump squats by 2 each time and inch worm pushups by 1 each time until you get to 2 jump squats and 1 inch worm pushup

running…

photo 071 photo 064

squatting…

photo 098photo 073photo 074
photo 077photo 078photo 080

inch worming…

photo 099 photo 070  photo 084 photo 085

those dogs were the best! (aside from penny and randy, naturally.)

it was such a fun workout! it was actually easier to breathe thanks to the lower altitude compared to utah. but that ease was cancelled out by the extreme humidity! we definitely felt the heat. the workout took us around 30 minutes and we were drenched in sweat afterward! it was nice to cool off.

photo 088

i love that you can make up a workout on the spot no matter where you may be! using your own body weight to get a workout in is the best. relaxing and blowing off workouts for awhile while on vacation happens to be the best, too.. i would know. ha.

even though i took the rest of my vacation off from working out, i came back home and hit the workouts as if i hadn’t missed a beat. this was maybe not the best idea, considering the severe case of DOMS i experienced after my first week back.. but it was nice to be back at GPP, working out with all the inspiring people at the gym.

actually, i was back just in time for GPP’s second birthday! last wednesday the gym celebrated two years in business and it was a big celebration.

photo 251

the workout was a TON of fun—it started with some hops and serious squats and then we did lots of different obstacles.

photo 250

the 6:30 AM class was packed!

source: gpp’s facebook

i was able to work out next to the fabulous candice.

source: gpp’s facebook

we were beat (but smiling!) after the workout!

photo 260

there were balloons, prizes, and refreshments for all.

photo 252

you know i was stoked about the houndstooth decor.

photo 253

i brought kind bars to share with everyone.. thanking GPP for being so KIND. oh, i’m punny.

photo 256photo 257

seriously, though, i love the trainers and all the people who go to GPP. it’s a great place to get fit and i am glad i started going back in april. i mean, who wouldn’t want to take workout orders from lizz?!

photo 254

she’s even cooler than she looks.

whelp, that’s enough workout rambles out of me for tonight! check ya later alligators.

1- do you work out when on vacation?

2- do you prefer to work out on your own, with a partner, or in a group?

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva August 8, 2012 at 6:08 pm

I like working out on vacation in different ways than I normally would. Like trying a new activity or visiting a different gym to do a new class or something. It’s a great way to break up my normal workout routine!!

Happy birthday to GPP! Looks like you all had such a blast. I really love working out with others, but also on my own. I guess it really depends on my mood at the time. Hope you have an awesome rest of the week….and let me know when you receive the package I sent xox

Carly @ Snack Therapy August 8, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Honestly, your GPP Costa Rica workout should could as 1.5 because you did it in sand. Sand is killlller for working out. In the best possible way :-).
And 2 workouts on a vacation? That’s perfect- a vacay should include/exclude whatever you want!

Heather @ Better With Veggies August 8, 2012 at 6:24 pm

That beach workout looks like so much fun! And I know what you mean about the humidity — it’s either altitude or humidity it seems. Kirk sent me a text when he landed in Charleston today and said the air was too thick. :)

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 8, 2012 at 6:29 pm

I love to change it up with solo, partner and group workouts. Variety keeps me going and from getting bored.

And I LOVE working out on vacation. It may seem weird to some but exercise helps keep me relaxed and in tune with myself.

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries August 8, 2012 at 6:48 pm

What a FUN workout! I’m loving it. Strong work at getting back to your workouts right away. I usually try to exercise some on vacations, but I don’t take it too seriously. I just try to fit it in where I can!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance August 8, 2012 at 6:54 pm

GPP looks like a fantastic gym. I’ve actually started following their website as a result of all the great things you’ve said . . . and I’m impressed! I love the daily workout ideas that they post, and they always link to videos for each move. That’s awesome!!!

I totally prefer to workout at a gym than in my home. I’m just too distracted otherwise, and at the gym your only choice is to workout. I mean, that’s why you’re there! :)

Clare @ Fitting It All In August 8, 2012 at 7:13 pm

going on vacation soon and might have to steal that workout idea! inch worm push ups on the streets on london sounds fun

Janetha August 8, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Take me with you :)

Lexi August 8, 2012 at 7:16 pm

I like to work out on vacation because I love trying out new yoga studios and gyms in the area I am vacationing. For example, when I went to Dallas to visit family, I found a studio that I love and I was able to go to Lifetime Fitness which I absolutely would LIVE at if I could haha. Also, I love active vacations where I can hike, play tennis, paddle board, kayak or any other fun yet calorie burning activity. I also love making up my own super challenging workouts to do anywhere. Your gym looks like such a fun place to workout! It’s always great when people are happy while they’re working out :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) August 8, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Oooooh I like the inchworm push ups! I try to work out on vacay….it makes coming back to the real world so much easier!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning August 8, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Yup- I always work out on vacation. In fact, it’s the only time that Greg and I ever work out together! But, our vacations are usually going somewhere to hike and bike and such. One day we’ll go just hang out on a beach for a few days and relax… I’m just too darn ADD.
I love the beach workouts! I can never run on the beach though. I thought about trying it in my Vibrams next time.

Amy Q August 8, 2012 at 8:53 pm

I am sooooo pleased to have found GPP, through YOU! I love the workouts. I did get sick last week and ended up like really in-bed sick- so did not do it for a week, but even without counting that week off, I am on week 6 now, and for sure am noticing the difference in my fitness level. It is never easy and I have a long way to go, but it’s super fun that Neil mixes it up every day- and it’s easy and free to do form here in NY state. Hats off to GPP!

Lea @ Coffee and Greens August 8, 2012 at 9:06 pm

I love group workouts, I work so much harder when there are other people sweating it out with me!

I always have grand plans to work out when I’m on vacation but it almost never happens. Luckily, I never feel too bad about it, vacations are for having fun, not hanging out in the hotel gym!

Sidney August 8, 2012 at 9:10 pm

I love that u love it like I do! It is such an addicting place- in a good way! Glad u started coming!!

Lemon August 8, 2012 at 9:16 pm

What a great beach workout! Janetha your blog is a favorite of mine. You are real and funny and intelligent and creative. So blessed to know you! That was so nice of you to bring the kind bars, we are thrilled you made it back in time for our party and “jump”!

Damn those birthday glasses are sexy!

emily (a nutritionist eats) August 8, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Cool workout in the sand!
I usually try to workout on vacation, but last winter I was in Mexico and it was SO hot that I could never bring myself to do more than a walk on the beach!

Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl August 8, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Great pictures! Those inch worm pushups look killer! Will need to give it a try. ;) glutton for punishment. haha.

Corrie Anne August 8, 2012 at 10:23 pm

I usually love to work out while on vacation. I feel like it helps me enjoy it more, and like getting back into the routine isn’t so bad when I get home, ya know? That beach workout looks so fun!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli August 9, 2012 at 2:18 am

Check out those legs!! Just how many of those beach jump squats DID you do?! Lol Looking good sweethearrrrrrrrrt! *whistles*

I love making up workouts on the fly! Whenever I get bored with the classes and the weight machines at my gym, I use one of the little training rooms to do a body circuit…or Tuesday Trainer workout! ;) I love group fitness…that’s one thing I miss about the crossfit gym I used to go to, but I get my fix with Bodypump, Step class, or my new favorite BODY COMBAT! Omg, such a great workout! I had some major DOMS from that one!

Mary (A Merry Life) August 9, 2012 at 3:38 am

So…. I feel like I haven’t commented on your blog in forever. Because I haven’t. Boooooo! But luckily I have still been reading, cause I’m an awesome reader like that. :)

Anyway, let’s answer some questions!

1- do you work out when on vacation? Yes! I always try to workout once or twice at least. I’m usually not eating as well on vacation so a workout helps me feel a bit better and normal.

2- do you prefer to work out on your own, with a partner, or in a group? I prefer on my own I think. Or with a partner. Group exercise intimidates me a bit which is why I haven’t tried anything like crossfit. I guess it’s my fear of being embarrassed. Or something. But the GPP classes you’re doing look really fun!

Rachael August 9, 2012 at 4:56 am

I am so jealous of your gym!! It looks like a great place with great workouts. Wish I had a place like that around me :)

Laura @ http://runningjunkie123.blogspot.com/ August 9, 2012 at 5:56 am

I do workout while on vacation but it’s usually a nice jog. Great way to check on the scenery.

I am new to group fitness class (past 3 weeks or so) and I am seriously loving them. It’s great to have a ton of people coming together and encouraging each other. It also helps that I’m competitive so I won’t give up. :-)

Lauren August 9, 2012 at 6:09 am

I love beach workouts! Everything is always better when there is an ocean involved. :)

I definitely prefer to run on my own but I love group fitness. I like a good mix!
Hope all is well with you lady!

Katie August 9, 2012 at 7:30 am

That beach workout looks so idyllic, I want to transport myself there…minus the humidity.

Also, you should frame that picture of you running on the beach. It’s rad.

Erica August 9, 2012 at 8:20 am

Working out on the beach! How fabulous! I should do that- especially since I live pretty darn close to the beach! Your legs are fantastic. Whoop.

Sara August 9, 2012 at 8:22 am

Those inchworm pushups made my arms and shoulders ache… ;) Wow! You’re really great at making up workouts. I’m horrible. All I can come up with is “do some pushups and squats. repeat.” Lame. ha! If I ever workout on vacation it is normally just a long walk up and down the beach. I tend to take vacation laziness a tad too seriously.

I prefer to workout with others. This past year I’ve been solo with my workouts due to a move and miss the camaraderie of group workouts. Got to find some group workouts!

Stephanie August 9, 2012 at 8:31 am

All of my current vacations (which have been few and far between) have taken me to places where I can hike and spend time in nature. I consider epic hikes to be a good workout.

As for working out in my own gym, I prefer to do it alone. Sometimes it’s nice to have a workout buddy to keep me company, but I have to be in the right mood for it. I don’t focus as much on the actual workout if someone is there with me.

Oh, and I hope this is more flattering than creepy. I linked to your BFL page in my most recent blog post. I’m giving BFL a try since it’s a program that makes the most sense to me and seems like something I can commit to. Any BFL tips or advice for someone who is just starting out?

Janetha August 9, 2012 at 10:22 am

Do it by the book and give it the full 12 weeks! Most people don’t see changes til around week 8!

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige August 9, 2012 at 8:58 am

LOVE your cute smiling face in that squatting picture :)

jessiker August 9, 2012 at 9:36 am

I love those jump-squat photos! Especially the airborne one.

I got a membership to the gym in Liverpool for the 2 weeks I’m there. I figured if it’s paid for, I’ll be inspired to go. We’ll see how that goes though haha. I’m a bit intimidated to workout at a gym in a different country. I have no idea why, but I’ve never really liked people being around while I work out. Except for Zumba, and they have zumba classes. Just in the middle of the day… so that’s probably not going to happen.

I always prefer to workout alone. I don’t do well under pressure and I’m too hard on myself if I’m not doing as well as whomever I’m with. It’s stupid, but the truth. I absolutely love working out at home. I never understood why people hate it. It’s my favorite. All the jiggles can be as free as they want! And I don’t have to wear a shirt. I hate wearing shirts.

Miss you vanilla bean.

Janetha August 9, 2012 at 10:21 am

I think you should just not wear a shirt ever.. anywhere.. ever.

I miss YOU. Like woah.

Annette@FitnessPerks August 9, 2012 at 11:15 am

I love that you guys did a workout on the beach. Ummmm COOL!

GPP looks so fun–must try it soon. Once this half IM is over <—it's taking up any extra time and energy! hah.

That celebration looks way fun too!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 9, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I don’t think I ever actually get in an ‘official’ workout while on vacation. I try to plan a lot of walks and active activities (like hikes and walking tours) and I figure that’s good for a week or so. It’s vacation, I don’t want to worry about fitness right then.

Definitely a solo exerciser – it’s like my “me time”.

the delicate place August 9, 2012 at 1:26 pm

i ‘work’ out on vacation by walking everywhere. it’s a really great way to explore your location! i prefer going to cities for trips so i sort of map a course prior to leaving and wander :) i find really cool shops and eateries that way too!

burpees on the beach forever!

Calee August 9, 2012 at 1:51 pm

LOVE how you thought to take pix of the words in the sand. So cool. :)

I workout on vacation.

Normally I prefer to workout alone, but I am in group mode lately b/c I’ve been feeling kinda “blah”.

purelymichelle August 9, 2012 at 2:00 pm

1- do you work out when on vacation? we try do, sometimes we are good about it and then other times we forget ;)

2- do you prefer to work out on your own, with a partner, or in a group?
like working out with a partner but lately working out alone has been going well though I have more fun when doing it with someone else

Lisa August 9, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I’ve definitely been creeping on those GPP workouts, and have done quite a few of them! Well, I guess I’m taking a bit of a break right now to get my body healthier. Once I’m better, I’ll be returning to those! They are really fun. (most days)
Both of those workouts sound awesome!

ann marie August 9, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Janetha….I thought of you yesterday—Owls seem to be very in for the fall. Pier One is stocked to the gillls with various owls for the fall season. Noticed lots of owls in Michaels also. It’s your season girl!

Janetha August 9, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Cool I will have to check it out!! xoxo

BroccoliHut August 10, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Ah! Love the seaside sweat sesh!
I usually try to exercise when on vacation, although it can be more difficult to keep up a routine for sure. At the very least, I try to walk as much as I can if I don’t have access to a gym or safe running areas.