fitmixer bootcamp check in.

by Janetha on July 4, 2012

in goals,moves

hey, guys! hope you had a fabulous holiday!

marshall and i just got done eating a late dinner–leftover basil garlic goat cheese turkey burgers crumbled up and scrambled with eggs and melted asiago cheese paired with a side of buttered sourdough wheat toast. whew, how’s that for a dinner title??

today was full of fun and sun. how about i retell the day backwards? just for kicks!

before dinner, we were at the movies. marshall and i headed to see the new spiderman with a few friends.

NewImage(source)

i really like emma stone and andrew garfield, so that made the movie a hit right off the bat. i absolutely loved the movie, but didn’t love that it was 3D. i just hate 3D movies for some reason. the glasses always give me a headache. other than that minor detail, the movie was awesome. two thumbs up.

before the movie, i was lounging at the pool with kristen.

NewImage

it was flipping HOT today, so we spent most of the time in the pool cooling off. i also ate lots and lots of juicy watermelon. fruit in the summertime is one of my favorite things in life.

rewind another three hours–before the pool. there was a protein shake in there and some blog reading.

right before that i was doing the fitmixer bootcamp fit test!  i thought i’d quickly check in with the bootcamp since i haven’t been blogging about it much lately. the other bootcamp participants and i are in week eight of the twelve-week bootcamp! wow, time flies.

NewImage

you may recall that when i started the bootcamp nearly two months ago, i was weighing in weekly using the zero scale. weekly weigh ins are part of the bootcamp in order to keep participants accountable for their eating and exercise. i sent my weekly weigh in results the first four or five weeks, but then i stopped weighing in. i did it in the beginning because i wanted to give the bootcamp my all and the weigh ins were a part of the program. however, i think weighing in is stupid–for me. weighing in is GREAT for people who are actively trying to lose a substantial amount of weight. but for me? not so much.

my weight is constantly fluctuating and it also is likely to go up because i am focusing on gaining muscle rather than losing fat. while i don’t really care what i weigh, the act of stepping on the scale every monday and reporting my weight to the fitmixer RD, candice, was just causing unnecessary anxiety. it was ridiculous. i began to care about something i genuinely didn’t need to (or want to) care about. sometimes i’d be up, sometimes i’d be down.. but in the end, that number just does NOT matter!

what does matter is my fitness. i posted once before (long ago) about how i prefer to focus on food and fitness to gauge my progress. that’s still the case. focusing on fitness improvements and making wise choices with meals is what keeps me healthy and happy.

fortunately, the fitmixer bootcamp is designed for participants to focus on their fitness! that’s where the fit test comes in–which i think tells a LOT more than a number on the scale. i originally did the fit test on may 14th and did it again today.

IMG 3982

seeing my scores from the first time around helped me push myself to improve my scores on each move today.

IMG 3989

here are my results from today’s test with the gains on each move in parentheses:

burpees 25 (+2)
supermans 77 (+16)
lunges 62, 31 each (+8, +4 each)
tri pushup 42 (+6)
hover 1:15 (+:05)
chest pu 39 (+2)
wall sit 1:45 (+:15)
RH knees R 112 (+8)
RH knees L 111 (+9)
jacks 97 (+6)
side dip R 51 (+5)
side dip L 50 (+7)

i am thrilled with the results and plan to keep working on my fitness so the next time we do the fit test my scores will improve yet again.

on the food front–you may recall i rambled about calorie counting at the beginning of the bootcamp. that lasted about two weeks–max. i am just not a calorie counter. i like to count other things–like my steps (yes, i am a weirdo)–but not my calories. it’s time consuming and tedious. i do better with the fist/palm portion method and making sure i get enough of each macronutrient each day. i learned to eat this way when i did body for life back in 2008 and it has never failed me. so that’s the update on where i am with calorie counting. it’s just not for me. i realize it’s a valuable tool for lots of people and i DO believe it works well if you stick with it–but i’m just too lazy to do it. and that’s that.

i plan to finish the twelve-week bootcamp strong. i am actually looking forward to the workouts in july because ALL the bootcamp workouts can be done at home with no equipment. it’s actually quite amazing that they are able to give us a new, challenging workout each and every day that can be done in my living room. when i go to costa rica in a couple of weeks, i plan to print out the PDFs that are provided with the bootcamp so i can do them while i’m there!

for those who have asked, the next bootcamp will start in mid-september. fitmixer is currently compiling a list of those interested in participating the next time around. if you are thinking about it, head over to the boot camp hub to fill out the form.

that concludes my bootcamp ramble.. and also is basically the end of this post, since the fit test was the first thing i did today. well, aside from drinking juice made by marshall–which he brought me while i was still in bed… at 11 AM… yeah, it was one of those mornings. hey, i like to sleep in!

okay, this backwards day recapping is starting to hurt my brain. i am going to hit publish and call it a night.

i have a special three tips thursday post lined up for tomorrow, so make sure to come back and check it out!

OH, one more thing, tomorrow is randy’s SEVENTH birthday! such a big boy!

IMG 3860

can’t wait to celebrate this guy’s big day.

Julie July 5, 2012 at 12:21 am

I’m glad you saw Spiderman. My friend just asked me to see it tomorrow and I wasn’t quite sure.

maria @ mim July 5, 2012 at 1:19 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RANDY! :)

Also, loved the new Spiderman. It released in Japan a week ahead of time (and there was an even more advance showing that we attended…) Emma Stone was great!

Ellen July 5, 2012 at 4:38 am

Happy birthday, Randy! :-D

I had no desire to see Spider-Man until I heard Sally Field was in it. It’s nice to read the film itself is good, and I’m not a 3-D fan, either, so I’ll be seeing it in 2-D. :-)

Have a great day, Janetha!

Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness July 5, 2012 at 5:33 am

Happy Birthday Randy!!!! Totally random but when I looked quick at the spiderman picture I totally thought it was you in it! The actress looks just like you!

Alex @ therunwithin July 5, 2012 at 5:54 am

gah jealous of the pool and juicy watermelon you got yesterday. sounds like a wonderful day. I think making a plan fit for you is key, even if it may not be to the t. I am the same way, calorie counting does not help and makes me super obsessive. I tend to eat more out of anxiety or eat worse for convenience of knowing the calorie count. yuck.

Jessica July 5, 2012 at 6:46 am

I’m not a 3D fan either. It makes me anxious, like someone is going to f with me and actually throw something at my face. Obviously I have issues… I do want to see this tho, and I have a huge girl crush on Emma Stone.

Momma b July 5, 2012 at 7:02 am

Great recap! So happy I may have another week to lolligag about a guest post. Maybe while you’re in Costa Rica??

Happy birthday to the most awesome basset hound I know!! Love that guy….his expressions are priceless!!

Love you and glad you’ve improved on your Fitmixer fit test too!!

xo

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries July 5, 2012 at 7:35 am

i am a nerd and LOVE spiderman – can’t wait to see the new one! awesome job on your progress with the bootcamp! you rock girlfriend!

Calee July 5, 2012 at 8:25 am

I’m really glad you updated about bootcamp. I’ve been thinking about doing an update too but haven’t gotten around to it. I’m with you — unwanted stress and anxiety. Yeah, it’d be nice to lose some jiggle, but the scale isn’t doing much to tell me about that other than to tell me that I’m heavier though I’ve lost jiggle. Stupid ass scale. Ass-scale? That would be a bad idea.

Happy early b-day to your furbaby Randall!

And PS I’m glad you talked about Spiderman. I had absolutely no interest. I don’t like Spidey. But I do love Emma Stone.

Lauren July 5, 2012 at 8:33 am

Oh my goodness, you look so much like Emma Stone in that picture!!

PBJenny July 5, 2012 at 8:34 am

DUDE, i totally thought you photoshopped yourself in to that Spiderman picture. Wow!

Jessica P July 5, 2012 at 8:39 am

Those fruit pizzas look so yummy! I’m sure they were a hit!

Paije July 5, 2012 at 8:44 am

Awww look at that face! Happy birthday Randy!

Also, I’m sooo jealous of the pool pic! The slide looks like so much fun :D

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats July 5, 2012 at 8:46 am

Haha I wish the next one was starting mid-october! I have my first marathon October 7th. Although i’ll still fill out the form and ask about how I can participate without doing too much with training and fitmixer workouts. It sounds like a great program!

Nicole C July 5, 2012 at 8:55 am

Ben’s parents sent over the cutest picture of Lucy, their bassett hound, with ear muffs on. Poor dear hate fireworks as much as I do. Have a good birthday Randy!

ali July 5, 2012 at 9:01 am

Sounds like a fun day! Way to go with the fitmixer test and the progress you have made! Awesome! Oh, and happy birthday to randy! :)

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes July 5, 2012 at 9:41 am

Glad to hear you’re doing what’s best for you. I like what I’ve heard about the Bootcamp workouts but I think that’s the only part I would be interested in. I would fail that fit test hardcore, I never do any of that stuff, which is why I’d love to start doing it, ha.

Annette@FitnessPerks July 5, 2012 at 11:07 am

NICE job on the fit mixer test! It sounds like an awesome program if people can do it all at home! I like the make-up of that test too. very cool!

Have a happy birthday, Randy!!

the delicate place July 5, 2012 at 11:18 am

i’m on the fence about spidey. the last one was SO awful i just don’t know if i want to try the reboot! i love emma stone and her fashion! girl is gorgeous!

happy bday randawg! :)

natalie@thesweetslife July 5, 2012 at 11:21 am

happy puppy bday :)

and thanks for the 411 on Spiderman-I love Emma Stone too!

Heather @ Better With Veggies July 5, 2012 at 11:47 am

Congrats on your fitness test results – I think that’s the best way to track progress and help you feel inspired to keep pushing through. :)

Paige July 5, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Way to go, Janetha!
OK, just the title of your dinner made my tummy rumble. Sounds good!
Also, Emma Stone looks like you in that picture!

Kim @ The Family Practice July 5, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I hate counting calories also! I don’t count my steps but I do find myself counting the number of “pedals” between the train and starbucks, starbucks and my office – I don’t know why I do that its not like I’m trying to keep track.
I want to see the new spiderman, I hope it fits in better with the rest of the marvel movies – I thought the first set with kirsten dunst were kind of “lame” by comparison…

Lisa July 5, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I thought I was the only one who hated 3D movies! I honestly can’t get past the whole thing, just not feeling it. And I think you dinner sounds awesome, I’m now extra excited for my turkey burgers tonight. I totally agree on ditching the scale, it causes me anxiety and is just not great for my mental state! I know that it is great for others though, just not for me. Wow your results on the fit test are amazing! You’ve made such great progress in 2 months!! I am definitely going to put in some thought into joining the next round, especially since I am in love with working out in my home.

Alicia July 5, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I don’t weigh myself and I don’t count calories either. Too big of a hassel for something that just messes with my mind!

Happy Bday, Randy!!

Marie July 5, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Happy Birthday, Randy!

I’m going to try going back to your 40/40/20 way of eating. I did it a couple years ago after reading about BFL on your site and leaned up really well.

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning July 5, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Whoa. I could have totally written this post myself!! And I’m SO GLAD to know that I’m not the only one that isn’t necessarily doing everything “by the book.”
I haven’t taken my 2nd fitmixer test yet because my teaching schedule has been so intense the last two weeks and I’m always worn out. I’m waiting for an off day. Maybe tomorrow since I don’t teach until evening.
I haven’t sent my weight in the last 3 weeks. It kept being the same. I’ve been kicking butt on workouts, but totally slacking on eating. And I’ve been off and on (off right now) about tracking in My Fitness Pal. It just makes me nuts.
I have noticed that I’m stronger and have more muscle definition. And you’re right- when you don’t have a LOT to lose, it’s really hard to lose even a pound!
Love you!!

jessie ann james July 5, 2012 at 4:26 pm

ya! glad you liked spiderman! i am dying to see it! i am so terrible at counting calories! i probably should but it seriously makes me crazy!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 5, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Congrats on the fit test gains!!! Those are great numbers – especially the burpees. *shudder*

Neil July 6, 2012 at 8:45 pm

I love your thoughts on weigh-ins. You are so confident. Perfect.

Carly July 8, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I love goat cheese and was just wondering if you had a recipe for those goat cheese turkey burgers(: Thanks!