this and that.

by Janetha on June 29, 2012

in random rambles

hi! happy friday! i am so glad it’s the weekend. this week has been a busy one for me both at work (thanks to month-end!) and at home. i have a bunch of random things to share—what else is new? here goes!

dudes.. can you believe it’s going to be july on sunday?! time is flying. i decided since june is coming to an end, i better check in with my summer bucket list to see how i’m doing…

so far i have ticked off the following:

• #5: i swam in st. george last weekend
  • #6: i bought art at the farmers market two weekends ago
  • #11: i took a road trip last weekend
  • #12: i’ve been to the farmers market once so far
  • #13: i ate at bear paw cafe last weekend—that’s one of three new places
  • #20: i’ve walked the dogs a few times
  • #25: i’ve ridden my bike a few times
  • #26: i donated two huge bins of clothing, shoes, and purses to charity

not bad for being less than a month into summer! i also have a few things planned. i bought a rock climbing groupon (#24), i booked a cooking class for july 5th (#3), the blogger picnic tomorrow will mark off two (#7 and #15), i leave the country in less than 3 weeks (yay! #4), and i will be going to lagoon in two weeks (#28).

making lists is fun. marking things off of lists is even more fun.

moves

i have really surprised myself on the workout front—i got to the gym in the morning FOUR days this week! i can’t go in the mornings on monday, but i went to GPP at 6:30 AM tuesday through today. who am i?! i will say this: i’ve had a mental battle with myself each and every morning. usually it’s my brain that wins the sleep vs. workout battle, but my body beat my brain each and every morning this week. it’s SO NICE to get my workout over with in the morning and have my evenings free. i love it so much. and that’s why i’ve been motivated to get up and at ‘em all week long.

one other way i have surprised myself was during this morning’s workout. it was one i did back on may 4th (just shortly after i started at GPP) and it was a VERY hard workout for me. i did it in katie’s garage (i was in colorado for blend retreat) and i remember suffering through it, not able to do all the reps, having to take several breathers, and dropping the weight to half. when i saw the workout come up again for today, i got a little nervous. i decided to start out full speed ahead and told myself i’d drop the weight and reps if i needed to. i ended up making it through the full workout completing all the reps and without dropping the weight. i was super stoked and proud. fitness is fun.

it made me think of molly’s quote:

sorry for the redundancy, but i still just love the quote so much!!

moving on to a couple more random bits and pieces floating around in my brain..there are two big events happening tomorrow and i am excited for both of them!

if you live in utah and are reading this, you need to come to the potluck picnic tomorrow! here are the details, in case you missed them:

• when: tomorrow! saturday, june 30, at 12 noon.
  • where: liberty park in SLC (700 east and 1300 south) we are meeting in the southeast quadrant just north of the big pond. there are picnic tables there and hopefully we can snag one.
  • who: bloggers, blog readers, friends, family.. even dogs! i think penny and randy might be in attendance!
  • bring: something to share with everyone—we have a lot of desserts so if you have something savory to share that would be ideal.. but anything goes! also bring your own drink. and your camera if you are into that!
  • what’s provided: i will have utensils, napkins, plates, etc.

also, if you would like a link to the spreadsheet that has attendee info along with what people are bringing, let me know and i will shoot you the link. can’t wait to meet everyone tomorrow!

and now my final item of business…

you guys know i hate running.. but tomorrow, i’m running a 10k. yipes, a little scared. but i couldn’t say no—it’s for a very important reason. long-time readers know that my brother and his wife, lindsay, lost their baby, eddy, when lindsay was 8 months into her pregnancy. this was three years ago—almost to the day.

there is an annual race called the race for grief where everyone gathers to run in memory of all those who have lost a child during pregnancy or an infant. there is a 10k and a 2 mile walk. i am doing the 10k with lindsay. it is located in west bountiful and will be tomorrow at 7:30 AM. if you are local and would like to come participate, you can register the morning of—go to the race site for details.

oddly enough, the last time i ran a 10k (well, the ONLY time i ever did!) was the day after they lost eddy. after running that 10k, i decided i’d never run a 10k ever again. (i’ve done two dirty dash 10Ks, but those were not races where i ran.. i walked them, so they don’t count.) i just can’t hang with running that sort of distance. it’s tough for me. i know, i know, you marathon runners are laughing.. but 6.2 miles is far in my eyes!

however, this race means a lot to me and my family. i want to be there and i want to participate. i want to do something special to remember my nephew. he will push me through it. i am excited to run for eddy tomorrow. i love him and can’t wait to meet him up in heaven one day.

OH. i do have a recipe for peanut butter dark chocolate cookies.. but this post is already real long. i mentioned the recipe on my facebook page and promise i will post the recipe soon.

the cookies are vegan, gluten free, and super tasty. they are also super gone.. i shared them with my co-worker-outers at GPP and my co-workers at work today.

ok, that’s enough out of me! have a great weekend!

Sami June 29, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Hey girl! I found this video and thought you might be interested in what the dude has to say. It was beneficial for me to help understand what the ultimate applicator actually DOES.

Momma b June 29, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Oh I’m sad I’m missing tomorrow’s action!! I will be wearing blue and my peanut necklace remembering sweet Eddy…..you will rock the race!!

I’m sad I will miss the blogger pot lunch (hope I’m not still on the spreadsheet for fruit!). Do you like the new tee
I just coined…pot lunch ☺

Lagoon?? What day?

Sure do love you!

xo

Alex @ therunwithin June 29, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Wow you seriously have covered a lot in only a month. Way to go! Good luck on the run tomorrow, I know I will be getting up early to run to beat the heat.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 29, 2012 at 8:47 pm

You made it to the gym FOUR times in the morning and I didn’t make it FOUR times in the morning and either had to go after work (ew) or had to take a rest day.

My summer bucket list is coming along pretty well too! I’ve crossed 4 things off and I’ll be hitting more in the next week! :)

Sidney June 29, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Yummy! Gotta have that recipe!! Have fun running the race tomorrow- tell Linds hI:)

Meg June 29, 2012 at 9:51 pm

oh my gosh! god luck tomorrow sweetheart

Heather @ Fit Mama Real Food June 29, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Way to rock the bucket list Janetha!! And you’re gunna rock that 10K tomorrow too. You’ll have a sweet little angel encouraging you along the whole time :)

Tara K. June 29, 2012 at 11:18 pm

I lost a baby myself at 8 months, as did my mom. I’ll be cheering you on tomorrow.

lindsay June 29, 2012 at 11:25 pm

your post made me cry. love you. thank you for doing something hard with me. i’m pretty sure its gonna suck. not just the run, but the emotional part too, thank you for loving and missing eddy with me. your pretty awesome.

Katie h. June 29, 2012 at 11:47 pm

I can’t wait for the pot luck! We’ll finally meet! :)

Also, this post made me miss gppeeps!

I think your 10k tomorrow will be awesome,especially bc it has such a special meaning to you now! Good luck!!! You’ll be great!

RainStorm June 30, 2012 at 2:36 am

You have such a long summer! Sounds like your list is going well. I’ve just got round to writing mine ( http://www.missrainstorm.co.uk/2012/06/summer-ambitions.html ) – I tried not to add too many things because I’ll have about six weeks :) Am looking forward to it!

Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness June 30, 2012 at 5:31 am

Those cookies look unreal!!! I cannot wait for the recipe! Especially since they’re G Free too!

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables June 30, 2012 at 6:39 am

I hope your race goes well!! I’m so sorry to hear about your nephew! I know he will be smiling down and cheering you on as you race. Have fun at your meet-up! :)

The Delicate Place June 30, 2012 at 8:11 am

i wish i could come to the blogger picnic! i am thinking i need to put salt lake on my travel list, it looks so beautiful there! i’ve never run a 10k race, only 5ks and half marathons BUT one of my friends just asked me to do a 10k with her in september. i really don’t like running but i guess i can throw a couple runs longer than 2mi into my ‘once a week run’ routine as i head closer to the date haha. i’m just looking to finish, no one thinks i’m prefontaine here ;p

also i had no idea i didn’t like you on FB, so i just did that…thanks for the cookies!! yay #dairyfree #glutenfree ^_^

julie June 30, 2012 at 8:12 am

look at you go girl with those AM workouts! get ittttttt. it’s so worth the battle haha especially when its 6:30PM and you can plotz your butt on down with the hubs & pups!

Amy Q June 30, 2012 at 9:20 am

OMG, you mean I could be doing that workout again in 8 weeks? Yikes!

Have a GREAT run in Eddy’s memory.

Neil June 30, 2012 at 11:14 am

You rocked that w/o. You’ve put a lot of time into the changes you’ve made. Congrats, but I’m taking all the credit. Yep, all of it. Oh, sure you may have done a bunch (OK, all of it) of the work and sweat and etc. You may have been the one to get your arse up early in the morning to get to the gym. And you may have done all the little stuff (rest, sleep, eat right, get organized) to be able to make those changes. But I’M still taking the credit. I feel good about this.

Also, you are hereby banned from bringing those amazing cookies (above) around me again. They were awesome and I ate most of them. I left, like 3 for everyone else. I realize they are “healthy” but after having one, my “everything in moderation button” went on the fritz. Man, I horked them.

Lisa June 30, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Wow you are on a roll with that bucket list! Impressive. Great job with the workout! It feels so great once you’ve improved in the fitness department! And fabulous work with getting your workouts in in the AM. Have a fun time at the race, I’m sure you will since it has such value in it for you.