simple things ABCs.

by Janetha on June 27, 2012

in deep thoughts,love life

abby did a post including 26 simple things she enjoys in life—from A to Z. she got the idea from dorry. i’m a copycat. i loved this idea.

• A – air conditioning. especially on days where it hits 100*.
  • B – brunch. this is by far my favorite meal. sundays are best for brunching, but i wish i could brunch every single day.
  • C – coffee. more specifically, the ritual of drinking lots of coffee with marshall on the weekend.

• D – dogs. namely penny and randy.. but i love them all.
  • E – exercise. i am so grateful i am capable to exercise.
  • F – family time. i am lucky to be super close with my fun family!
  • G – grocery shopping. you have no idea how much i love it. it’s kind of like therapy for me…
  • H – hugs. seriously, who doesn’t like a hug? and hugs are free!

• I – ICE CREAM. this is my favorite food ever. so simple, so perfect.
  • J – jam. specifically momma b’s homemade raspberry jam. it brings me SO much joy. yes, i find joy in jam.
  • K – knives. my good kitchen knives. sounds silly, but you try using good knives and then go back to using your old ones. your tune will quickly change.
  • L – laughing. man—doesn’t a really good laugh just feel so good?
  • M – music. it’s funny how a certain song can totally change your mood. music is a powerful thing.
  • N – nature. i love camping because i am able to truly let the beauty of nature swallow me whole. and then it spits me back out into the world of technology… but it’s really nice to enjoy nature—and JUST nature—every once in awhile.
  • O – owls. i just like them.

• P – peaches. they are my very favorite fruit and there is nothing like biting into a perfectly ripe peach.
  • Q – quietness. sometimes sitting in silence is exactly what i need. i should make a point to do this more often.
  • R – rain. i love rainy days for some reason. i also really like how it smells outside during and after a rain storm.
  • S – sleep. i love love love love sleep.
  • T – traveling. i don’t care where i am going.. i could go somewhere 50 miles away or 5,000 miles away.. just take me somewhere.

• U – unfastening my bra after work. assuming i wore one. i hate bras. taking mine off is seriously such a joy to me.
  • V – vibrams. seriously, i never realized how much i’d love such a goofy looking shoe. they’ve eliminated my knee and ankle pain. i’m hooked.

• W – water. this is my favorite drink. i love chugging a glass of water when i am REAL thirsty. it’s so satisfying! and it’s free! bonus.
  • X  – X-tra time. okay, i am a cheater. but waking up in the morning and realizing you have extra time to sleep is freaking awesome.
  • Y – yawning. it feels so good. almost as good as a good laugh or a satisfying sneeze.
  • Z – zoning out. sometimes it’s nice to just stare at the wall for awhile and not think about a single thing. try it, you’ll see.

haha.. those last three made me kinda sleepy just thinking about them—guess i must be hitting my afternoon wall!

one more simple pleasure? helping. we all have the capability to help others. it typically does not cost us any money—we just have to invest a little thought and maybe some time into helping others. in case you are wondering what brought this thought on—let me tell you.

yesterday my boss came into the office holding a brand new baby bunny. he was days old—maybe less! who knows. the bunny hadn’t even opened his eyes yet. he had been out in the hot, hot heat and was breathing fast. he was overheating!

we decided to take the bunny to a nearby animal shelter.

the shelter took the bunny in and said they’d bottle feed him and take care of him. it made me happy—i was glad we were able to help this poor little bunny who would have otherwise died in the heat.

i know it’s a roundabout way to turn my thoughts to helping others, but that’s what happened. i thought about the many people in my life who i love and made a mental list of one way i could help each and every one of them.

everyone is struggling with something in their life. some people have big problems, others have small ones. some of us have both big ones AND small ones. and maybe some medium-sized ones.  but the fact of the matter is we all need help. we do. don’t think you are above needing help, you’re not. nobody is. and you also aren’t above giving someone help.

it’s human nature to NOT ask for help. we are prideful. we don’t like to admit we need help and we sure as shit will always try to get through all of life’s trials on our own if we can. so instead of waiting for people you see struggling to ask you for help, step to the plate and help them without them asking.

if you can reach out to someone and help them in some way, you need to. you definitely should. a helping hand, a listening ear, or a shoulder to cry on. you never know—your small helpful efforts could really go a long way in someone’s eyes. (plus, it’ll make you AND the person you helped feel all warm and fuzzy inside. it’s a beautiful thing.)

deep ramble over.. carry on with your food and fitness blog reading.

1. what are your initials? give me your simple things for those letters.

2. when was the last time you helped someone? big or small.

Alex @ therunwithin June 28, 2012 at 5:36 pm

I love this idea… I may be copying you on this. Oh my goodness that bunny, I have never seen anything that small.

Nicole June 28, 2012 at 6:52 pm

I loved all of these! But honestly, taking the bra off after work is gold. NOTHING feels better than that.

N- Nutella. I don’t think I need to elaborate.

R- Running. I’m so thankful to have the health and ability to go for a run.

C- my Children :)

lindsay June 28, 2012 at 6:57 pm

you say water, i say wine. haha.

and yes, help, we are prideful. We need strength, strength from others, prayer, and help from the big guy above. Lift each other up, it’s what we are here for. Love YOU!

Ali June 28, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Aww I love this!! And that was so kind of you to help the baby bunny :)

BroccoliHut June 28, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Great post!!
C-cooking. I know, shocking. But really, cooking is the part of my day when I let go of my worries and focus on nourishing my body and soul :)
W-warmth. I’m the girl who luxuriates in clothes fresh from the dryer. I much prefer heat to being cold!
Y-yellow. I love the color yellow. I wish I could wear it, but it looks terrible with my skin, so instead I decorate with it. My living room is black/white with yellow accents :)

Emily R June 28, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Love this idea! I might have to steal. :)

E- english bulldogs. they’re so ugly that they’re cute! definitely one of my favorite dog breeds.
M- mom. I love, love, love my mom. she is so important to me!
R- reading. I have been a book nerd since I was a kid. one of my most favorite things to do is curl up with a good book and just get lost in the story.

loved what you had to say about helping! that little bunny was PRECIOUS. not sure if this counts, but yesterday I gave blood for the first time in my life! I was pretty nervous about it, but afterwards it felt good to know that I had just contributed to someone else’s health (in a roundabout way). :)

Janetha June 28, 2012 at 9:08 pm

dude that totally counts! good one!!

meg June 28, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Oh my goodness, that little bunny! What a sweetheart your boss and you are to rescue him! I have such a soft spot for animals.

M- my mom. we might not always see eye to eye, but I’m a momma’s girl!
C- children. (not mine, I don’t have any) I think they are so funny! But right now, I like the ones with a return policy.
B- books. I love a good read!

p.s. I will be copying this. :)

Denise G. June 29, 2012 at 12:23 am

D = Dogs. I love my dogs More than anything
M = Milk without milk where would cereal be? There would be no tres leches cake, no cheese….got milk?
G = galaxy. I recently started to study astronomy and galaxies are fascinating entities.

I help others by being a volunteer at the Edmonton Humane Society. I do all sorts of things there: walking dogs, cuddling cats, training new volunteers, helping with special events, counseling potential adopters. It’s so much fun, and I really do make a difference for homeless and abused companion animals.

denise June 29, 2012 at 4:20 am

D=Daughter – Love my daughter
L= I love Love
P=Peace – I am at peace with where I am in life.

I really like that picture of you and your momma.

jessiker June 29, 2012 at 7:58 am

Awe bunny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love that thing. That’s sweet you were able to save it. This is a touching post! It’s true, I hate asking for help.
J – Janetha. She’s an inspiration to me and such a good friend. I couldn’t live without her
E – Eggs. I love Eggs from my head down to my leggs.
S- Shiba Inus. I’m so stupid crazy about my kids.
S – Snow, I sure do love the stuff and I hope that it actually snows this winter. I’ve missed it.
I – My immunity, I’m so lucky I hardly ever get sick. I feel awesome almost always.
C – Camping. It’s just so great.
A – Acetone. hahahaha. But seriously.. it’s pretty important in my life. haha.

Janetha July 5, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Best. Comment. Ever.

Calee June 29, 2012 at 9:54 am

I’m late to the party! I missed reading all you guys’s blogs this past week.

omg baby bunny. And I love vibrams! I actually talked to a marketing dude when I was in Boston and ended up buying another pair. I got some bikilas in, you guessed it, hot pink.

C: Cuddling with my man or with the Barnstormer, if the Barnstormer actually wants to cuddle with me.
H: I’m with you — HUGS.

JCHokie June 29, 2012 at 9:23 pm

OMG, the baby bunny is precious! I’ve never seen one that tiny before. So glad you guys took him to the animal shelter. :)

Carly June 30, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Seriously; I love your hair! I have blonde hair but I wish mine was that long(: the bottom of your list made me yawn haha, that bunny is so adorable (I had a bunny growing up!) now for the fun

yeah i’m cool like that and have double letters
C: cooking, so cliche but it has become my stress reliever recently
A: a phone call, i love talking on the phone (even if I am the one doing most of the talking hah)
C: calm, recently I have been doing more yoga and I love the quiet and calm (at least when I’m in the class)

and the last person I helped? well this week I have been volunteering at a special needs camp, I helped this young sweet girl named sophie paint a picture(:

Janetha July 2, 2012 at 11:54 am